User Tag List

Page 350 of 581 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360400450 ... LastLast
Results 17,451 to 17,500 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the last line of defence is 'What about 2nd doses?' for the ever entertaining Twitter cohorts desperate for the UK to have fucked up the vaccine.

4 million jabbed now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vaccine rollout has been outstanding.

I think this is a good summary of how I feel about the phenomenon JF is describing - https://anthonycox.substack.com/p/is...olitics-signal

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no fan of our government, but you'd have to be a fucking idiot to criticise how we're doing with the vaccine. It's good work.

This reckons I will get my first jab between July and September. That would be an amazing effort.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's such a bizarre attitude - there are so many things to choose from that you could criticise the government for, but no, EVERYTHING with any connection to them must be bad and/or a lie of some kind.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second dose by 23/12 - just in time for massive family Christmas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's such a bizarre attitude - there are so many things to choose from that you could criticise the government for, but no, EVERYTHING with any connection to them must be bad and/or a lie of some kind.
    I think part of the problem is that so many people are ignorant to some of the things that actually cause concern (chumocracy, etc) that detractors to the govt will pile onto absolutely everything with no let up to try and exacerbate the message. It doesn't work though.

'Boris is doing his best!!1'

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Second dose by 23/12 - just in time for massive family Christmas
    Same as me. I think it's just doing it in 10 year batches.

Which makes me wonder, is that the plan here? Do we just keep moving down the age ranges? Surely once you've tackled the high risk groups you move onto high risk careers? With home workers coming after any remaining "Key Workers".

That stops the spread much quicker, surely?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    The vaccine rollout has been outstanding.

I think this is a good summary of how I feel about the phenomenon JF is describing - https://anthonycox.substack.com/p/is...olitics-signal
    Out of curiosity, why do you get counted as vaccinated if you've only had one dose? Isn't it true that you need two doses for it really be effective?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you get counted as vaccinated if you've only had one dose? Isn't it true that you need two doses for it really be effective?
    Not really. The studies indicate that one dose does most of the work.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've nailed this so far and the other lol element of it all is we absolutely wouldn't have been better off had we been in the EU still, quite the opposite in fact.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ideal outcome is beating the European Union by months but losing to the Americans by enough to justify selling them the NHS.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beating the EU is what it’s all about in fairness.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More deaths than most of them too, idiot Eurotrash.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pity more of them didn’t die, bloody Europeans the cheek of them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Are people reporting sore arms after the jab cos of what’s in the injection or cos they’re letting every Tom dick and Harry administer it? @randomlegend
    It's because the jab stimulates an immune response (which is what it's designed to do) = inflammation = sore.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one shot on its own has a high protective rate (>90%, I think). The second dose doesn’t seem to add much to the effectiveness. That’s why the UK switched from giving the second dose at three weeks to 12 weeks. Because giving as many first doses as possible is pretty effective.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It's surprisingly smart that they're doing that. You'd expect them to red tape it in the bin. Although how are they getting around the prescription nonsense? Presumably a doctor on site quickly issues one.
    It's no different than for anyone else.

People are called to invite them for their vaccine. When they arrive they get an information leaflet to read and a form. The form has the list of questions on it that need to be asked to ensure they are able to have the vaccine. The prescription is on the back and whoever the prescriber is will sign provided the answers to the questions are all ok.

I got my jab at the end of a prescribing shift as there were spares. I had to register with the admin people, they printed my form and then I went through the above process just the same.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

You kept quiet about these scenes :O

Google informs me Barbados Beach Club is permanently closed these days otherwise I would have been straight over.
    Yeah, Barbados was never the best.

There are still dreadful clubs though. I think Folies [Les Folies D'Amour :/] is still going and at least one other.

Both also undoubtedly awful. Unfortunately as the report states the doors have been even more firmly closed in the last week but you could probably get yourself essential worker status if you can blag some sort of e-gaming (as in gambling, not nonce mmorpging) expertise.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    The one shot on its own has a high protective rate (>90%, I think). The second dose doesn’t seem to add much to the effectiveness. That’s why the UK switched from giving the second dose at three weeks to 12 weeks. Because giving as many first doses as possible is pretty effective.
    Yeah one of the consultants told me it's apparently ~91% of people protected by it after a few weeks. Goes up to 95% with second dose.

I'm not sure where these figures are coming from though as there hasn't been a proper trial done on single dose efficacy afaik.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Knowing it's airborne surely any vents / air-con etc are closed or switched off?

Oi, RL, How are you fuckers spreading this shit?
    I still see surgical consultants walking round with their mask under their nose.

Patients are probably a not insignificant part of the problem as well...you'd be amazed the things people do. When I was on my last job a patients' relative came onto the ward when they weren't supposed to be visiting. Whilst waiting to talk to a staff member they went into a different patients' room (this patient was in a sideroom with a closed door and an enteric precautions sign on the door) and used their toilet. They didn't have covid fortunately.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no fan of our government, but you'd have to be a fucking idiot to criticise how we're doing with the vaccine. It's good work.

This reckons I will get my first jab between July and September. That would be an amazing effort.
    I'm convinced the success of the vaccine roll-out is solely down to a previously retired nurse who appears to live in our vaccination centre. The woman is a force of nature.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Are people reporting sore arms after the jab cos of what’s in the injection or cos they’re letting every Tom dick and Harry administer it? @randomlegend
    Not calling this question out specifically but how many shots has the average UK person had? The only one I remember requiring through school was BCG but I left after Year 7. However I had to have one more on arriving in Switzerland and another couple after I turned 16.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a shitload as a small child don't you? Polio, MMR, all those.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a shitload as a small child don't you? Polio, MMR, all those.
    I was ignoring those ones as you’re obviously not compute mentus. I meant growing up.

I think the ones I had to get in Switzerland (because I hadn’t had them in Uk) were tetanus and HPV or one of the Heps.

As you can imagine current google Seo makes finding vaccine info hard.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have the three in one and one other when you're younger. Then potentially a hep c (?) and malaria if you travel further afield but that's not if you're going into mainland Europe.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCG, the six pricks you get beforehand, Meningitis C?, that one time I bothered with the flu jab. I think that's all for me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC have properly gone with it for their latest main story.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The BBC have properly gone with it for their latest main story.
    Main headline on mine is about that Russian that will die soon. I think we get a different version though.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55708709

Trump-esque production values and all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I was ignoring those ones as you’re obviously not compute mentus. I meant growing up.

I think the ones I had to get in Switzerland (because I hadn’t had them in Uk) were tetanus and HPV or one of the Heps.

As you can imagine current google Seo makes finding vaccine info hard.
    I can only remember the TB one (and the 9 needle test thing before it). Other than that it's just been jabs required for trips abroad. I think we had a Hepatitis and Tetanus jab before Cuba. Other than that I think it's all while you're little.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phonics getting a couple of melanin placebo boosters.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Yeah one of the consultants told me it's apparently ~91% of people protected by it after a few weeks. Goes up to 95% with second dose.

I'm not sure where these figures are coming from though as there hasn't been a proper trial done on single dose efficacy afaik.
    I wonder if your consultant is thinking of this bit from the NEJM paper:

Nevertheless, in the interval between the first and second doses, the observed vaccine efficacy against Covid-19 was 52%, and in the first 7 days after dose 2, it was 91%, reaching full efficacy against disease with onset at least 7 days after dose 2.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hospital admissions are not 'still rising'. as claimed in the blurb there. They have plateaued in the last few days and probably showing first sign of a fall today.

Deaths are still rising but it will only be for a week or so.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hospital admissions are not 'still rising'. as claimed in the blurb there. They have plateaued in the last few days and probably showing first sign of a fall today.

Deaths are still rising but it will only be for a week or so.
    Are they not rising because the amount of people requiring hospitalisation has plateaued or because they’ve run out of beds?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They haven't run out of beds (maybe a small number of hospitals in certain areas have but the vast majority haven't).

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They haven't run out of beds (maybe a small number of hospitals in certain areas have but the vast majority haven't).
    Have you got a source? Not doubting you, I’d just like to see the numbers.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there are around 168,000 hospital beds in England (2019 figures, so there may be more now which are created for Covid) and there are 35,000 patients currently in hospital with covid. I don't know how many patients are in hospital for other reasons, but I haven't read any reports of hospitals being hammered for capacity except at points in Essex and parts of east London.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ITUs are being hammered.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southend Hospital were shipping people out to Suffolk and beyond a few weeks ago, but they had a bed on the Covid Ward for my wife's nan straight away when she arrived last night. Not sure how much we can take from that, but they had atleast 1 bed available I guess.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what Covid does to a ward setup but I wonder if they have more space between the beds which leads to a lower capacity.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I don't know what Covid does to a ward setup but I wonder if they have more space between the beds which leads to a lower capacity.
    They already have it when they turn up, is social distance much of a concern at that point? Or does further exposure make you worse? I know it does at the point of catching it, but does it matter when you're already ill?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there are around 168,000 hospital beds in England (2019 figures, so there may be more now which are created for Covid) and there are 35,000 patients currently in hospital with covid. I don't know how many patients are in hospital for other reasons, but I haven't read any reports of hospitals being hammered for capacity except at points in Essex and parts of east London.
    Shouldn't you be looking at intensive care units, as there will be far fewer of those across England? (As RL pointed out.)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    ITUs are being hammered.
    Exactly. I’m not sure it’s correct to equate the number of total beds and the number of COVID admissions and do a simple subtraction.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Is that new? Hasn't the South African variant been in the news for a while now? I don't know what most of that thread means though. Someone explain it in layman's terms. @7om?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an immunologist by any stretch, but he's talking about changes that the virus has undergone in laboratory testing where they have grown the virus and observed mutations. The mutation they found matched the one that has occured naturally in South Africa. And then he says that this new mutation has a built-in ability to avoid the antibodies that would normally kill the virus.

That is not extremely concerning to me. There are other aspects of the immune system which will fight the virus, not just antibodies. Just depends whether or not this new variant causes more severe disease and if the vaccine can fight it. But an mRNA vaccine like the one from Pfizer wouldn't be difficult to reconfigure if need be.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry linked to the wrong tweet

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't you be looking at intensive care units, as there will be far fewer of those across England? (As RL pointed out.)
    Maybe but we were talking about 'hospitalisations' which is not the same as intensive care units. The more serious the thing you're talking about is, the longer it takes the patient to get there, so deaths and intensive care will be the last to taper off.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 18-01-2021 at 09:45 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw it now on BBC News. Fucking hell, still a good 4 weeks of this incessant shite. Please someone snipe Biden.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know when the oldies will stop dying as a result of the vaccine? As of 10th January, the 80+ people mortality rate was still rising, but presume this is down to not enough of them being vaccinated and the ones that had, many hadn't had the 2 week period thereafter.

I think the next 2 weeks will start to see a drop off, but how much will this be due to lockdown or the vaccinations. I say open it all up so we can test the vaccine properly.