User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings 3

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it certainly modified his damage to basically not suffering any at all, even though I had double his numbers and more than enough men-at-arms in the mix.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to see a small force defeat a larger one without the aid of terrain or something but equally I've not actually tried.

I can't tell yet what the game really wants in good armies, even when you win a battle there aren't a huge amount of actual casualties. I'm beginning to think pursuit might be the key to that but in what sort of ratio I don't know. Current game I'm spamming archer MaA and the building that buffs them but it's tricky to tell if that's having much of an effect.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you throwing handfuls of Welsh rarebit at a castle they'd holed up in or something?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might well have been an attempt to charm them to death by showering them with bunches of daffodils, yes. I'm a novice. I did manage to beat the useless Mercians previously though so I'm not completely off, I just think old Rhodri of Gwynedd is probably hard as nails.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be that, nothing else makes sense.

How much trouble do you get in for missing a crusade? I said I'd join but I really can't be bothered now but if it gets me excommunicated I could be fucked.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not like joining an ally's war where if you agree but don't go then you won't lose anything but you can't gain any of the prestige, etc.?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is like that. No one seems to notice, you just don't get monies for your participation.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found crusades to be quite profitable, btw.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever been strong enough or near enough to join in.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to go all the way to Syria for one, but ~1000 gold and my cousin as the new queen made it worth it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, look at all the asshole allies in here.

Syria is the target in mine but balls to going up against the Persians for it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's safe to say things haven't really gone according to plan for my inbred Welsh dynasty. We left matters with my old man (Prince Hywel) ruling south Wales, while his rival the unbeatable Prince Rhodri ruled the north. Both of them were getting on by this point and soon snuffed it at around the same time. My new character was Prince Ifor, Hywel's grandson - a bit of a survivor, really, having survived the plague that wiped out both his parents and his only sibling, and also lost an eye in battle. I have heirs, too - although, this being Wales, my sons are also my cousins. That is but a minor detail and Prince Ifor has a knack for somehow clinging on against all odds.

My new foe in north Wales was Prince Tomos, who is very much in the Jordi Cruyff mould when it comes to following on from great fathers. Quickly, one of his lords broke away or declared independence in some way (I'm still not really sure how this happens) and so north Wales was then fractured, split between Gwynedd and Powys. I managed to end up at war with both of them, and unlike in Prince Rhodri's day, I now had the leadership advantage as well as the numbers, which led to me pressing home a fabricated claim on Cardigan, adding the first bit of extra Welsh land to my name. So far, so good, right?

Well, the next thing that happens is that Jorvik (the largest of many Viking forces in Britain) decides to invade me for my Duchy. This isn't great news, since he has five thousand men, and I don't. I didn't even bother to fight, spending the whole thing holed up in the west while they rampaged across the rest of my kingdom, and in the end I just did the decent thing and surrendered early. This means that I now rule absolutely none of the lands that I started with - but, as ever, Prince Ifor somehow manages to survive (he's packed a lot into 27 years), and I remain the ruler of my two conquered lands, Cardigan and Hereford. My two uncles/brothers-in-law (welcome to Wales) used to have power and armies, even plotting to depose me at one point, but now they are reduced to mere commoners who I have invited back to my new court in Hereford, or Hennffordd, as the Welsh pointlessly call it.

The new picture in Wales is a little complicated (see below - I rule the dual white-ish bits, having used to own that plus all the Jorvik land) and I can only imagine the Vikings are going to continue pissing everyone off. I've also been excommunicated and my wife has the pox, but in our three kids (Arthfael, Elfin, and Gwen) we can hopefully keep the flame alive at least for a little longer.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard those vikings are right bastards in the early start.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno what Ireland is like this time round but in CK2 England / Wales / Scotland was always tricky and it sounds like Cord had a messy time of it too.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did another 20 minutes after that post and lost Hereford as well (to the Swedes). It's basically impossible as native Brits, the Vikings are just far too strong, constantly declare war on you and there's nothing you can really do about it.

I will persevere until the bitter end, however.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ivar (who I think is Jorvik) starts with a bunch of free troops too, enough to dominate the British Isles on his own. I think luck or hiding is the only way to escape them.

I found a fun new wheeze last night, kidnapping foreign leaders, converting them to my religion and then sending them home again. Perfect for plunging your powerful neighbours into costly internal strife. France is now in about eight bits.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a bit surprised that the Demand Conversion stuff sticks.

With people outside your demesne anyway.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you kidnap them then you can make it a condition of their release. Hooks might work but I prefer using them for marriages or achieving my Trumpesque tax/levy bill.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what I mean is why wouldn't you go "Oh yeah I'll convert to your religion, 100%" and then the moment you get inside your own borders be like "lol lads you'll never believe how I got that idiot to release me"?

On the original timeline of this save before the save thing buggered me I had about three strong hooks on the go and they were a good cash cow.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My game took a turn for the worse.

My last lad, who was a bit of a shambles, still managed to reconquer all of France and then a bit some. He was getting on age-wise (mid sixties) but I figured we should be fine, since his daughter looked competent enough, with good learning stats, and a husband who is a complete don in the accounting (or whatever you call it) side. Also, since my lad only had the one (alive) daughter, I figured she would inherit everything I was running, so I would hopefully avoid the mess that usually accompanies splitting your kingdom among your children after your character dies.

Well, my character died and his daughter (in her fifties) took over. Immediately, France was given to some rando, I am still not sure why, leaving me with about a quarter of my territory only. I also got part of Aquitaine, for some reason. Not only that, but everyone is chimping out because my new character does not have Breton as her culture, but Cisalpine (sp?) Also, the game started giving me warning messages that I had no valid heir and that if I died, that was game over. I don't quite get why, since my new Queen of Brittany had three sons and two daughters at that point. The oldest son has died since.

Anyway, I managed to designate one of the daughters as a heir (only cost me 1000 prestige ), so I think that I can at least continue playing once my current character dies now. Apart from that, I am wondering what to do. The French have a bigger army than me, so that is a no go for now (although I did complete don them in a defensive war for Rennes). My heir is also Cisalpine, so I will probably have to figure a way to get a Breton son at some point. Not any time soon though, since she is married to the son of the cunt that was given France when my previous character died. I hope something good comes out of that, but clearly I have zero clue how to deal with the marriage business. Should I stick to marrying cousins or what?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What succession laws have you got? Do they have any weird quirks for gender?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the default ones. Confederate partition with male preference or something like that, I think.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if that's what's boned you. Dunno, it's been quite straightforward for me so far, fortunately, so I haven't had to reacquaint myself with the delightful nuance of partition laws.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that it has to do with that, but I don't quite get how France ended up in the hands of someone else, or why none of my current character's sons counts as a valid heir. Oh well, maybe I should do like my character and spend all day in a brothel to relieve my stress.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like France is Male only Partition, I think it starts that way. There's also a Succession tab on the Realm panel that shows where all your titles will go.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should have a multiplayer game. Does anyone want to name a time this weekend where we could set something up for 2 hours or so?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm around tomorrow but I don't really know when.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have been burned by French succession bullshit. Spent ages nobbling the French (with relatively few infant murders) and getting my dynasty on the throne only for them to have a load of daughters and lose it in a generation.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be providing another thrilling update on my game soon. I'm now back to the point where initially naked bear-man took over but this time he's dead too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nudity thing seems to be religion based, you have to be an Adamist it seems.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that make sense for the part of the world I'm in?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/202...rts-of-iron-4/

That sounds great, but you just know that it must be a disaster.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *327 hours later*

"In conclusion, you basically guaranteed a Nazi victory in World War 2 when you murdered that baby to become the King of Lappland in 935."

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Does that make sense for the part of the world I'm in?
    Hmm, maybe it's a tenet then, and therefore available to multiple different faiths. I'd like to have a go at making my own religion at some point, there are some tasty looking options in some of them.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current state of my game (I'm Burgundy), trying to get my spawn onto as many thrones as possible and we were up to about 7.5 Fame/month which felt pretty good. I'm such an unnatural shape because I fancied having a vote in Imperial elections so I sprawled into Franconia and thanks to High Partition as long as my capital is there it should all stay together.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice beard.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A demesne that's in multiple bits.

Decent amount of money rolling in though. I think my lad was currently on about 10 a month without a Stewardship focus. You on Stewardship just now? I imagine being further along the timeline helps a bit and everything is probably more developed there than in humble Burma.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intrigue (the scary version) he'd been ruling for a while and had two full duchies to himself so the income is deceptively high. Plus I've been abusing the option to sell/extort money for hooks and then ploughing the cash back into buildings etc with every ruler who could.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've never felt quite comfortable enough to plough gold into buildings but I've done it a bit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really worth it, especially the ones that buff MaA, I'm now of the opinion it doesn't matter what flavour you go for as long bad you stick to one and build a load of the corresponding buildings.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think it's the elephant building for Burma that doesn't specifically help you make elephant MaAs or make them cheaper but gives your Men At Arms a boost.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only know of the special duchy capital buildings that offer some buffs along with the generic ones you can build everywhere. But you're right, they only affect combat stats not the upkeep or numbers (although there are techs that do that).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did do my big Duchy building for Burma and it boosts, among some other things, Learning which I think is helping me with the Innovations. I certainly seem to be getting through them a bit faster.

Though that might be deceptive as my last few decades of this character I didn't have to pause that often, relatively speaking.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byzantium is going crazy in my game, no hint of instability either which is most unusual.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand how that can hold. I'm playing as France now (I bring misery onto myself) and just trying to keep the various nonces that run Anjou, Toulouse etc in line is hard enough, never mind having about 100 similarly-flagged duchies/kingdoms under you as that Byzantine emperor must have.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they about to get monstered by Big Genghis? Does the Horde happen in the same way in CK3?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genghis is long gone, the Mongols never got much further than that and eventually split into several bits. I may have cursed Byzantium with that post, they got an infant Emperor not long after and Hungary and a few other bits split away. They had a good run though, it all held together and even expanded for a good 250 years.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all a bit of a mess now.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how did Scotland end up in Russia?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that was all Sweden at one point, I assume someone inherited a bit of Scotland and a bit of Finland and Scotland was the higher title. You see it a fair bit, there's bits of Andalusia up in France which I reckon got there the same way.