User Tag List

Page 123 of 581 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,150 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had people running barbecues and organising parties in the middle of a national lockdown, it's a bit naive to think they won't be straight back into the pubs and clubs as soon as restrictions are relaxed enough.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    The great John Taffer seems to think bars and restaurants will never recover from this and the ones that survive will have 6ft gaps between every table for years to come.

You have to lol at the people who seem to think we'll be all packing out the pubs again in a few weeks.

I seriously don't think we'll ever get back to 'normal'
    We will get back to normal eventually, I think the biggest issue will be the amount of industries going tits up and people out of jobs.

It will take a lot for the hospitality and travel industries to recover. Could be the final nail in the high street as well.

I cant see many new houses being built for a long time either, that will have a huge effect on the construction industry.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I've been out twice to the local shop.

Agree on things returning to normal. The pubs are going to be rammed when we're allowed out again.
    If they're playing football behind closed doors and they open the pubs they will be as busy as England world cup games. It would be insane.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    We've had people running barbecues and organising parties in the middle of a national lockdown, it's a bit naive to think they won't be straight back into the pubs and clubs as soon as restrictions are relaxed enough.
    I'm not gonna lie. As soon as it's open, I'm going for a pint.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-toll-is-wrong

Apologies if this is old news, but it's an interesting read on why the daily death figures that we hear about are wrong.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    "the virus is unlikely to be seasonal in nature, according to a paper published yesterday by the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine."

Meanwhile, the report summary is:

"In summary, although experimental studies show a relationship between higher temperatures
    and humidity levels, and reduced survival of SARS-CoV-2 in the laboratory, there are many
    other factors besides environmental temperature, humidity, and survival of the virus outside of
    the host, that influence and determine transmission rates among humans in the ‘real world’. "

I love journalism, even in an academic setting.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    I'm not gonna lie. As soon as it's open, I'm going for a pint.
    11am pints, 12.30pm kick off and losing coupons

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semi-final results.

(brackets first leg scores)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly a golden generation.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, USA! USA! USA!

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the absence of any proper recovery numbers, I'll take our critical number as a sign we're not that knackered.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our critical and recovered numbers are not even a thing, we stopped counting weeks ago.

Look at ze Germans and their anal recording methods.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I should grab those hospital numbers from the briefing for something more tangible.

65,000 cases, 16,500 hospitalised. 2,500-ish in critical care.
    Last edited by Shindig; 09-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those critical numbers are the most made-up of a sketchy data set in the first place.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All our data is shit but what else can you go off? "Here's a cumulative number not accounting for discharges or deaths."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Those critical numbers are the most made-up of a sketchy data set in the first place.
    At least for France, it's people in ICU.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    All our data is shit but what else can you go off? "Here's a cumulative number not accounting for discharges or deaths."
    Deaths. The only thing you can count without testing is deaths. Obviously that's going to get muddled with Flu cases fucking up your data, but if you have 5000 deaths you can shine a torch on Germany, China, America, South Korea and whoever else is actually testing. You can work out what your other figures are from there... ish.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but deaths are not reported accurately either (in terms of dates).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Yes but deaths are not reported accurately either (in terms of dates).
    I only found out today that 'Care Home Deaths' aren't counted towards the daily total. What the actual fucking fuck is that?

Yeah. It's impossible to get a feel for anything. Especially with up to 50% of people having zero symptoms and anyone not about to carc it being told to self isolate and shut the fuck up.

How do you have any trust in the figures when most people that have it / have had it aren't counted? Deaths. It's the closest you can possibly get.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I only found out today that 'Care Home Deaths' aren't counted towards the daily total. What the actual fucking fuck is that?

Yeah. It's impossible to get a feel for anything. Especially with up to 50% of people having zero symptoms and anyone not about to carc it being told to self isolate and shut the fuck up.

How do you have any trust in the figures when most people that have it / have had it aren't counted? Deaths. It's the closest you can possibly get.
    Well this "serious, critical" column on worldofmeters actually corresponds to people in ICU for France. I reckon that's a very relevant metric. The following is the number of people in ICU over here:

Last edited by Adramelch; 09-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Well this "serious, critical" column on worldofmeters actually corresponds to people in ICU for France. I reckon that's a very relevant metric. The following is the number of people in ICU over here:

It's a fair alternative, but I'm not sure it gets rid of the issues that counting the dead has. You still have to test them. You still have to factor in the people that don't go to hospital when they should have. You still don't get a feel for the people that get no/minor symptoms.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Boris didn't die Giggles. Cummings reportedly ill.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fair alternative, but I'm not sure it gets rid of the issues that counting the dead has. You still have to test them. You still have to factor in the people that don't go to hospital when they should have. You still don't get a feel for the people that get no/minor symptoms.
    It's a good metric to track the evolution of the virus (and, thus, the possible peak) in a country, which is what I am looking for. Not as relevant if you're looking to get icu/case rates, or comparisons between countries, I agree. In comparison to deaths, however, I do believe it's probably updated more regularly by hospitals than deaths are.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to see a visual representation of what's going on with hospital capacity. There's a lot of shit metrics around but at least that's more focused.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd all do well to watch tonight's Horizon on iplayer. Cleanest explanation of how we got to where we are and where we are headed.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pubs wont open for 6 months not 3 you blokes are mental.

Edit: And even then they will have strict capacity no shoulder to shoulder.

We need a vaccine before things can start to turn around.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 09-04-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deaths seems to be the right number to be looking at, but it's so skewed that we won't know today's real number of deaths for x amount of days. It's why trying to read the curve is so difficult.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cummings? Beautiful if he dies.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Deaths seems to be the right number to be looking at, but it's so skewed that we won't know today's real number of deaths for x amount of days. It's why trying to read the curve is so difficult.
    Given you're not counting care home deaths, you might also find yourselves in a similar situation to France where they just randomly start getting reported and then you get a curve like that:

I assume the people in charge have more accurate information than that, but still.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last EVER pint in a pub was a Coors fucking Light.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You'd all do well to watch tonight's Horizon on iplayer. Cleanest explanation of how we got to where we are and where we are headed.
    The most telling bit for me so far is that the quickest a vaccine has ever been produced was 5 years, for Ebola.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soz, just to be clear, I meant this one: Horizon, 2020: Coronavirus Special - Part 1: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000h3nm via @bbciplayer

I recommended the same to my boy and he's watched the one I think you're talking about too, Yev Can't comment on that one.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the one I watched Taz. There wasn't anything in there about what's to come though, so your initial comment on it did confuse me.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The most telling bit for me so far is that the quickest a vaccine has ever been produced was 5 years, for Ebola.
    Completely differing circumstances and not really true. Ebola has existed since the 70s. The vaccine was basically discovered in 2010-11 and it was subsequently bought by NewLink. During the Ebola crisis of 2014, Merck bought it from NewLink and pumped money into testing it in African nations and it was put onto the market over in Jan 2015.

It took 5 years from discovery to market, not existence to discovery. The Canadian scientist that discovered it died poor while her discovery sold for over 50 million dollars (money went to NewLink who bought it off Canadian Government).

A corona vaccine will have a shorter timescale because of the obscene amount of money being thrown at it and it being an offshoot of COVID.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah my bad, the other one went big on Ebola so thought you may have watched that.

I just thought it hit home how unlikely it is that these cunts are going to risk a second wave and that the vaccine may well be the only way out. The stuff about the antibodies expiring and immunity possibly only lasting for a matter of months also had potential to be bleak.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    A corona vaccine will have a shorter timescale because of the obscene amount of money being thrown at it and it being an offshoot of COVID.
    Just to temper my language in case anyone takes this as me saying it's bad that we're spending this money. I'm not. The Ebola vaccine has discovered by luck off a 2 million dollar grant, 30 years after the disease arrived. The search for an HIV vaccine has cost around 2 billion over 30 years (this is my quick back of a fag packet estimate because the only stats available are for Prevention which includes Condoms/PrEP/Clean Needles/Education). It technically exists but only works 30% of the time. 85% is the lowest a vaccine can be considered effective which is what your flu shot is.

COVID-19 will receive about 1 billion in funding over the next 12 months.

edit: My mistake, growing up in the 90s makes me think the 70s were still 30 years ago. Ebola is 45 years old, HIV is 35.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-toll-is-wrong

Apologies if this is old news, but it's an interesting read on why the daily death figures that we hear about are wrong.
    Good excuse to stop obsessing over the numbers. Let's be honest, in the absence of football we've all latched onto the death counts as a way of giving our lives some aspect of unpredictability. (Or in the case of John Arne, admirably combined the two.)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also: New York is grim.

Although lol at Cuomo calling the virus evil like 9/11. That's a great way to frame it if you're trying to forget about the fact that your leadership decisions are actively costing human lives every day.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Completely differing circumstances and not really true. Ebola has existed since the 70s. The vaccine was basically discovered in 2010-11 and it was subsequently bought by NewLink. During the Ebola crisis of 2014, Merck bought it from NewLink and pumped money into testing it in African nations and it was put onto the market over in Jan 2015.

It took 5 years from discovery to market, not existence to discovery. The Canadian scientist that discovered it died poor while her discovery sold for over 50 million dollars (money went to NewLink who bought it off Canadian Government).

And it affecting white people.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what defines the money not the speed.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On licensing of a vaccine, the FDA, EMA can do whatever they want. What were realistically going to see is clinical trials running concurrently and real time evaluation of safety data while they're also testing for antibody production.

Normally you're looking at a few years of sticking it in animals and monitoring toxicology and all that fluff. I imagine that has been rushed through with preliminary data only.

It is feasible to get enough data for a vaccine license within a year and the regulators to rush it through approval. Then you've got the time it takes to mass produce, which will take a monumental effort for the vaccine companies.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many care home deaths are not yet reported. From the French and Belgian numbers, and knowing that, for example, UK haven't reported theirs, it feels like the current death toll could quite a bit bigger.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least Boris is ok.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to figure out if that's a breathing tube that's part of the headgear. Also, the North East's finally getting a Nightingale hospital in one of the Nissan training centres. Progress.

Numbers are in:

953. 720 from last week because .... yeah.
    Last edited by Shindig; 10-04-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen real daily numbers and they have been bouncing round between 6-700 for a few days now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why they don't go with those smaller numbers? Post-mortems are what they are, I guess.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s more registration. The daily death figures give us the most accurate running total because they’re all 100% Covid positive. But as a day to day measure of the progress of the epidemic they’re useless. Hospital admissions and ICU admissions are very good. Current beds occupied too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, good to know. I guess, even with the delay, deaths aren't exponentially getting worse.