0 Thread(s)
    Expecting a game in the digital age to be a collectors item

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful. Baz owns a couple of NFT's.

I have no idea what nerds will be putting on their shelves in 10 years time but they will be putting something on it.
    Last edited by Shindig; 30-06-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also owns a lot of AEW dolls, including his favourite Brandi Rhodes.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final Fantasy 16 could be a contender for game of the year.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am enjoying Aliens: Dark Descent. It's not perfect by a long shot but it has nailed the sweaty terror of the movement sensor going haywire as something comes and your marines are hanging together by a thread with mininum ammo.

My main criticism of it is the stress mechanic could be tweaked. In an ideal world it would have been an XCOM clone but to be fair that would eliminate the tense atmosphere.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    In an ideal world it would have been an XCOM clone but to be fair that would eliminate the tense atmosphere.
    They possibly could have gone for something like Mutant Year Zero where it's free movement between fights then it goes turn based once you engage / are engaged.

Or do the fights have enough of a frantic "fighting a swarm" feel that'd be lost if you made it turn based?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep toying with getting X-Com again but I just don't know if I've got the stomach (and brains) for it.

I did pick up Atari 50 during the steam sale and that's giving me a nostalgia trip I never expected. I wish there was more interviews in that thing. Get as much out of these old men before they die.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tempted to get WoW back cos it seems there’s a new classic Classic or something. Basically levelling 1-60 is the bessssst.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    They possibly could have gone for something like Mutant Year Zero where it's free movement between fights then it goes turn based once you engage / are engaged.

Or do the fights have enough of a frantic "fighting a swarm" feel that'd be lost if you made it turn based?
    They are frantic and a core game mechanic is retreating whilst firing: you have special abilities that consume command points you can use such as suppressing fire, grenades, shotguns etc. And time slows down whilst you use the menu to select them. When a xenomorph gets into close combat with your squad though it fucks them right up with it's rapid movement, deals loads of damage (not unlike that scene in Covenant where they are in the field getting ripped apart) and of course, the cunts bleed acid all over your lads when dispatched.

I just had a session where I was too far into a mission to emergency extract my squad (in my eyes anyway) so I pushed on, got to the end of a hairy set piece and one of my squad of 4 was downed but not dead. So now I spend ages negotiating fights and avoiding problems carrying my unconcious marine everywhere, must have been carrying that fucker for half an hour. Even survived one of my other marines getting facehugged due to having a tool to remove them I researched. Then I walked into the wrong room and was discovered, laddo who has been carried everywhere dies in the resulting fight. Next room, a fucking cocooned survivor who, you guessed it, needs carrying

At one point earlier in the mission I just welded the squad into a storeroom to avoid two massive groups of cunts patrolling the gaff.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went back to Elden Ring to check out the raytracing patch. Oof. We're just not there yet.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 1 for Diablo was announced for the 20th and I can't say I am very excited to play it. I started a Divinity 2 playthrough (which reminded me what a banger it is) in preparation for Baldur's Gate 3 and I think I'll just skip Diablo altogether and just stick to that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was rattling through Diablo until I became aware of the season pass character shenanigans and haven't played it since. Despite enjoying Aliens I have money burning a hole in my pocket for the steam sale, trying to avoid the inevitable pickups that never get played though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew beforehand how seasons work, it's just that it doesn't feel different enough to make me want to create a new character. Ooh, new sockets with colors, what a system.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think from the Steam sale I'll get Spider-Man: Miles Morales but probably not much else. I already have a load of Game Pass stuff I've not got to yet without filling my Steam library like I used to.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atari 50 is where I stop. There will be other chances to pick up what I miss.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40K: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters; This Time With Subtitles is DONE. I restarted after realising early doors I'd fundamentally misunderstood a few things it didn't explain very well.

Not a perfect game but a very good one with only one proper gripe and a few minor ones I'd like to see fixed in the sequel they're clearly hoping for from the end of the story.

I like the set piece missions though, with the giant bosses and the final mission is great, making you pick two squads. One to fight the boss and the other to basically act as the rearguard and stop waves of enemies getting into the boss arena. Great stuff.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales next.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spider-Man: Miles Morales is brilliant but it's far too short. Really could have just been a DLC.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved it, got me back into the first one as well. The sequel looks like just more of the same but I'll take that

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Spider-Man: Miles Morales is brilliant but it's far too short. Really could have just been a DLC.
    Yeah a big part of why I waited until a sale as I'd read it's shorter.

I like that in the full sequel they look to have different movesets to allow for the Venom stuff so it's not just cosmetic when you swap.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The combat feels so much smoother for Miles, you can tell they wanted to make it different.

He's more like a lightweight fighter who is dodging a lot. Got some cool powers too.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t find a website about it that isn’t littered with ads right now but my word, MythForce looks class.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing through a bunch of short story driven & puzzle games that have been on GamePass or Games with Gold so figured I may as well give a quick recap.

First up were Coffee Talk & Coffee Talk 2, which are fun little cozy games with not a lot of actual gameplay where you basically just serve a bunch of fantasy weirdos drinks & listen to their problems for a few hours. They did make me want to try tea again (still pretty shit), so I guess it gets bonus points for that.

Moved on to a couple of puzzle games afterwards, starting with The Turing Test, which has been out for probably a decade but I’ve only just decided to play it because that’s about as up to date as I am with all media other than movies these days. There were a couple of puzzles I struggled with because they featured mechanics I didn’t realise existed, but other than that the level of challenge is just right & there’s a decent enough story behind it (by puzzle game standards at least).

Went on to Hoa after that as it was going free last month. Only a short game & not as challenging - probably more of a puzzle platformer for kids than a proper brain melter - but it’s got some charm & there are couple of bits towards the end that were pretty neat.

Back to the narrative games & we come to Opus: Echo of Starsong, which is kinda like Tomb Raider if it was an anime movie set in space. I’d started Haven a few months back but gave up on it before it left GamePass as it was getting a bit repetitive, but this gave me similar vibes & the story hits me in the right places despite not really being that great.

Almost up to date now as we get to the last week, which started with Gone Home, which is a walking sim where you come back from holiday & explore your house for a few hours to figure out where everyone else has fucked off to. Kept dropping little hints that it was going to fuck the whole thing up in the final act but they managed to stay away from the potential implosion, which was a relief.

Lastly, I’ve played through Tell Me Why over the last few days, which is a choices matter type game from the people who did Life is Strange, which I’ve never played. It’s pretty good, but maybe a touch overrated because of the themes it focuses on. The story is a blend of fantasy, supernatural & gritty reality, which feels like a bit of a strange combo, but it has some nice moments & as with all these games you’re probably going to end up with a story that satisfies you as you have a hand in shaping it. Having said that, the option I picked for the last important choice of the game is apparently a 0% selected option which I refuse to believe is correct as the other choice makes way less sense despite being more convenient.

I have a few more similar games on the list - As Dusk Falls, Oxenfree, Dordogne & Planet of Lana, plus Qube 2, Superliminal, The Witness & Quantum Conundrum on the puzzle side, but I’m also looking at a few actual games in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Nier: Automata, Hi-Fi Rush & Disco Elysium, the last of which will surely please @Ian

Might try to clear a few more of the short ones before the end of the month & then move on to the actual games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone Home is great. You should give Firewatch a go aaaaand... the spaceship one. Tacoma (I googled Gone Home in space. )

And yes Disco Elysium is the best and only bad people don't like it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Firewatch is on the list. I’d forgotten about Tacoma but will add that on too

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got through Dordogne in one sitting last night. Really nice art style & I liked making poems at the end of each chapter, but I’m apparently the worst kayaker in the world.

It reminds a bit me of the movie Aftersun - young girl looks back on that nice holiday they had with their Dad 20 years ago versus young girl looks back on that nice holiday that had with their Nan 20 years ago - but with less things being fucked up under the surface & more amnesia.

It did kinda fall into the hole that Gone Home avoided & Tell Me Why didn’t though.
    Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Firewatch being great. Absolutely loved the vibe in that game.

I actually downloaded Dordogne the other day, going to play through it soon.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished Miles Morales. Really is short, eh. But while that makes me glad I got it on sale I really don't mind a game like this being that length. It had a good story and some quality missions / set pieces and it just felt like a bit of a remix of the original/main game, in a good way.

Hope it's not too long before the sequel ends up on PC but I guess it'll probably be a couple of years.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting Remnant 2. Loved the first, looking forward to getting stuck into it this weekend.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to get into the first game but doing it solo just wasn't happening.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard solo but doable. I ran through it solo first then in co op. Co op really brings it to life mate if you get the chance.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sadly I'll have to hold off as we enjoyed the CoOp so much last time.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remnant 2 go 12 minutes without freezing challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anybody who already knows they're getting Baldur's Gate 3 on Thursday if you buy it before official release you'll get the deluxe edition too.

Not that I know what's in the deluxe edition but whatever.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to the devaluing of the pound it seems I bought the Early Access version on Nov 7 2020 for two pound fifty less than the deluxe version currently costs so I'm delighted by the profit I've made on this deal.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anybody who already knows they're getting Baldur's Gate 3 on Thursday if you buy it before official release you'll get the deluxe edition too.

Not that I know what's in the deluxe edition but whatever.
    No Xbox version yet also apparently means no Xbox Deluxe version ever, which in turn means a sad Baz.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That they'll have a splitscreen version on launch for the consoles is such a game changer if I was a console player.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guy

And my mate:

What a game

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted I knew I would enjoy it a lot since Divinity 2 is one of my all-time favourite games, but they've done a stellar job so far (10 hours-ish in). Not to mention how bug-free the game is. I went with an Origin character (Karlach) rather than custom. The one time I played custom in Divinity 2, it felt like a bit of a lesser experience, so I thought I'd stay away from it this time around.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I went custom this time because while Origin was objectively the better choice for DOS2 I read that question being put to Swen from Larian if that was the case here and his recommendation was to go custom and experience the Origin stories as squadmates.

If I did another playthrough I'll 100% be going Dark Urge.

Currently I'm doing Dragonbord druid and it's good fun so far. Not sure the D&Dness of it adds much that I'd miss if we'd just got DOS3 instead but needs must.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm expecting more playthroughs anyway (I think I did maybe 4 in DOS2?) so it wasn't that important a decision in fairness.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents found my copy of Sega Rally Championship. I'm sure this will get on great with Windows 10.

EDIT: Well, shut me up. Works fine out the box.
    Last edited by Shindig; 05-08-2023 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure the D&Dness of it adds much that I'd miss if we'd just got DOS3 instead but needs must.
    I was of a similar opinion in the first few hours, but now that I'm deeper in the game I'd say it adds a lot. And I would imagine it adds a whole lot more in co-op games.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm just learning to deal with it rather than particularly deciding it's good for a video game. I think "lol I rolled four crit fails on successive rolls with advantage" would have more bants potential in IRL D&D than it does when a game just gives you the old XCOM Fuck You In Particular.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started Baldur's Gate and so happy to find it very much has the DOS feel.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the hotfix that just went live. Game is saved.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customizable dicks has me wanting the game.

Do I need to have played the previous games?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone else who hasn't played the previous games, it weirdly hadn't even occurred to me that it might be an issue until I read your post.

Having started playing it now I would say you absolutely don't need to have played the others.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyberpunk had the same problem with clipping cocks. Seems a bit of a dumb thing to add unless they've got ridiculous cock and ball physics. Like DOA's daft tit wobbles.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Customizable dicks has me wanting the game.

Do I need to have played the previous games?
    Nope.

Those who have will obviously get some of the lore and I believe there are some side characters who reappear but your character isn't meant to know them or anything so far as I'm aware.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else playing Final Fantasy 16?

It's pretty good so far.