User Tag List

Page 204 of 236 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,200 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a photographic memory Lewis? How does it actually work so well?

A girl I went to uni with had a photographic memory and she just read everything because once she had, she could go back to it later.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Although a guy I used to work with got himself diagnosed as autistic aged 35 and it was like a switch flipped, he just sort of stopped trying. All he does now is talk about being autistic and he's pretty well known for it, but it is really fucking grating. His twitter threads about how to treat/talk to autistic people are really conceited.
    I'd guess he was doing a fair bit of masking (i.e. he knew something was up but tried to pretend he was normal) and now the diagnosis gives him a reason to drop all that behaviour. I think masking is generally frowned upon because some ACADEMICS think it increases the likelihood of suicide and depression.

I don't buy it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Do you have a photographic memory Lewis? How does it actually work so well?

A girl I went to uni with had a photographic memory and she just read everything because once she had, she could go back to it later.
    I can't read things and instantly memorise them or anything proper mongworthy, and I would struggle to remember a phone number if you told me it and asked me again later. I just sort of remember what I do/interact with, so when I get asked whether I remember something we did at work (or on the forum) I generally can.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Literally everyone is "masking". If we were all bowling around without filter the world would be a very different place.

Autism is a victim card. One of the must have accessories of the decade, that's why mateyboy is larging it up on Twitter, nothing else.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone at work thinks I'm a maniac with a photographic memory, but that's just because I can remember things like who was the Prime Minister in 1975, and where Rawtenstall is. Lewis has an orders of magnitude freak show memory for remembering things people said in offhand posts ten years ago. Even then I'm not sure it's photographic, which is for turbo-freaks only.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar memory to Lewis then, at least for random conversations I've had since, well forever pretty much.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have retard strength as well Lewis?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of, yeah, and picking cabinets and stuff up during the office movearound has only added to the spastic mystique.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    🤣

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab came in this morning carting a massive cardboard box, which it turned out was full of probably 60 bottles of Powerade, and then he went to the shops to get more. The office fridge is now full of Powerade and the rest is stacked up in his office. We asked him why he needed to bring in so much Powerade, and he explained: he was going to use it to bribe warehouse staff to pack his orders quicker and before other people's.

This motherfucker is literally bringing financial doping into the parts sales environment. I need to set UEFA on him.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Powerade considered an acceptable bribe among warehouse staff?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barney's going to roll in with a crate of Prime tomorrow. An expensive gamble set to backfire unless the warehouse is largely staffed by children.

Is The Arab giving them that because he thinks they like it or so they'll have more energy to work?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably it is. He has certainly managed to repair relations with them after a few months back his dad wandered through, someone shouted 'Here comes the camel trader!' and got fired.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's anything like the one I work in, yes.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What colour? Blue, presumably.

White (arctic shatter) is the ultimate but I don’t think it exists anymore.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    This motherfucker is literally bringing financial doping into the parts sales environment. I need to set UEFA on him.
    If anything, they will offer him a job.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    If anything, they will offer him a job.
    Egypt-Greece-Saudi bid is definitely taking it then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new hire decided to join the increasing list of people that don't show up. We suspect the agency is a bit shit at telling them where they need to be and when.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Powerade out the machine at the cinema today, inspired by the Arab.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you how well you and the Arab would get on. You'd eventually get bored of him talking about himself, but the first few days would be a whirlwind romance.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I can't tell you how well you and the Arab would get on. You'd eventually get bored of him talking about himself, but the first few days would be a whirlwind romance.
    Just seen this. Considering how much everyone on here rates him as an absolute don, this is possibly the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.

Elsewhere I’m in a Teams meeting 10-1 today. 3 hours of reviewing drug related deaths. Woooo!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last day in work tommorrow before a four week break.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four weeks?! What are you doing with that amount of time off?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks in Mexico in the middle. House reno either side. Small possibility I never go back.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two job offers and very likely a third one to come soon. When it rains it pours.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to juggle three projects 400 miles apart and sell and buy a house, makes it not the right time to go on holiday. There's going to be a whole load of shit when I get back.

But fuck it, I'm exhausted. Out of office on.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap, it's happened. I've been made semi-responsible for accepting and rejecting alcohol license applications.

Toggle Spoiler
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting situation arose yesterday at work which is forcing me to make a choice by Monday.

I applied for, and yesterday was offered an interview, a Head of Year job at another school. It would double my commute roughly, but the money is much better (my normal wage plus an additional Ł7,300) and I'd only teach 32/50 hrs a fortnight (5 hrs PPA is protected, so 13 hrs focused solely on my HoY role). The interview is an all-day thing on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, a similar role has come up at my own school. My position as Assistant Head of Year is being ditched, as is Head of Year, and they're moving to 'RSLs' (Raising Standards Leaders) - one for each year group so there are three roles available (two current HoYs are staying on, one is retiring). It's essentially Head of Year but with another name. The money is less (Ł4,800) and the time to do the job is half that of the other school (so teaching 38/50 hrs). Interview is also on Tuesday, but is just a formal interview that in theory could be done at any time next week.

I went to the Assistant Head who is the line manager for pastoral staff and told him the situation. He checked with the head about whether they could interview me at another point. The head has said no; I have to choose which to go for, therefore limiting my options. This is a cunt move; good leadership in schools invests in developing all staff and supports them to step up to new roles if they choose to, whether there or at another school.

So, scenarios:

I go for the external job. Much more risky; I don't know what I'm up against, other interviewees (there will be 3/4 others) could have loads more experience than I do. If I don't get that role and can't interview for the internal role, I won't have any extra responsibility in September. Money isn't the crux of it but obviously is a factor; I genuinely want now to be doing this sort of role.

I go for the internal role. Trying to avoid sounding arrogant but I would back myself here; there are 3 positions available and a lot of the people who would go for this sort of role are moving on. I already have strong relationships with tutors/students established and I've been told I'm doing a good job. Much less risky, although entirely possible I don't get it and end up as above, with no additional role in September. Either way, I'm stuck working for a cunt of a head who has no vision or passion for the job and allegedly wants to retire in three years and go into property.

I really want to go for the external role and risk cutting my nose off to spite my face. But I'm the only one who loses out in this scenario, the head doesn't. So I think I've got to go for the internal and use it to build my experience and maybe move on next year if the right role comes up.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to go for the external role
    Do this. Like you said, your current employers are being dicks and purposely restricting your career growth. Back yourself, get that other job.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long is your current commute that would be doubled? That'd probably be the biggest factor in my decision. Unless your current one is like 10 mins and it's only going to go up to 20 mins.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 mins to 40/45. That's another big factor as our mornings are quite challenging due to our son's additional needs.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interview for the job internally imo. You'll get the experience that seems to be the only thing you may lack for essentially the same post externally. You'll then be in a perfect spot if something else comes up. Maybe even closer.

I would personally value the extra time at home and not upsetting your sons morning routine, than the extra bit of pay on top and reduced teaching hours.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you should go for the external job, unless the commute is a problem.

I suppose in money terms if you are spending and extra 2 hours a week commuting, that adds up to what 60 odds hours a year [how many weeks do teachers work?], so is that worth the difference between the two salary increases?

But obviously it slices both ways, so it's whatever is the main priority - getting experience, getting away from a knobhead, life balance, money . . .

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you ask the external one if they can do Wednesday or Thursday instead?

“I have a personal issue on Tuesday, would I be able to interview later in the week please?”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our spot have brought in a little spend counter that grasses you in for printing

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Can you ask the external one if they can do Wednesday or Thursday instead?

“I have a personal issue on Tuesday, would I be able to interview later in the week please?”
    A reasonable suggestion. I've considered this - trouble is in schools, 9/10 they offer jobs on the day. They might consider re-arranging all the elements for me to the day after, but I can't do that either and it's beginning to look like I'm just being difficult.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The commute is increasing by 20 mins. So that's 40 mins every day. What's that, 3 hours and 20 mins extra a week you'll be sat in your car, I assume? Plus messing up the morning routine with your son. I would not be doing that for two and a half grand extra. But people value different things, I guess.

How much extra money is 2.5k a year in your monthly pay packet? Isn't fuel/whatever travel costs probably just gonna cancel that out?

Do you like your current school apart from the head? If he's gonna retire soon too might be worth sticking it out, especially if you back yourself to get the job there. Have you heard anything about what the other school is like?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    The commute is increasing by 20 mins. So that's 40 mins every day. What's that, 3 hours and 20 mins extra a week you'll be sat in your car, I assume? Plus messing up the morning routine with your son. I would not be doing that for two and a half grand extra. But people value different things, I guess.

How much extra money is 2.5k a year in your monthly pay packet? Isn't fuel/whatever travel costs probably just gonna cancel that out?

Do you like your current school apart from the head? If he's gonna retire soon too might be worth sticking it out, especially if you back yourself to get the job there. Have you heard anything about what the other school is like?
    I went and visited the other school. One of the Assistant Heads there met with me, showed me around a bit and spent a good 45 minutes telling me about the school, the role etc, like a pre-interview almost. This was a big part of the draw - you're right, the extra money is peanuts every month tbh, it's more about being valued appropriately. That was the appeal of the move really.

My current school I mostly like. Department is great and most of the leadership I trust. But the head is an arse and is driving out some of the most valuable senior teachers to satisfy his own ego. His best mate's wife is also assistant head there so she's sat on a plum ticket and is phoning it in.

Anyway. Other school emailed this morning to ask me to confirm, so I replied and withdrew. I emailed the AH who showed me around and gave a bit more of a detailed explanation, which I think I kept the right side of professional.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the internal job today. Head of Year 10 from September - on the balance of probabilities that was probably the best outcome from the situation.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Mo.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, nice one. Nice to see it all work out.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top stuff!

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played a blinder there.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the internal job today. Head of Year 10 from September - on the balance of probabilities that was probably the best outcome from the situation.
    Mo money, mo problems

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, appreciated.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Year 10 head was a guy who dubbed himself Mr. G and was a complete cunt.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone sent me a spreadsheet today and I instantly replied all saying it had given me PTSD, without thinking.

I followed it up about 15 minutes later, once me and ChatGPT had got our VB codes in order, with a much better version of the spreadsheet.

Will they continue to use the shit grey one with size 24 Century Gothic font? No doubt. Will I continue to be a Spreadsheet Badboy? You know it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    My Year 10 head was a guy who dubbed himself Mr. G and was a complete cunt.
    I didn't know Andrew Tate did teaching.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just signed the new contract after a frustrating "consultation period" in which no ground was given. The only positive is that we have it recorded that there are no performance issues within the team and they agree that if the workload isn't being maintained the issue is with too few staff, not the staff themselves.

It's a bit shit that we now just have to watch this fall on it's arse while they push the only staff with lease management experience out the door, but here we are.

Morale at an all time low across the team. Top management.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab's brother just paced through looking for him. The Arab then went out in tears. Came back in after about ten minutes, still in tears, and said he had to attend an urgent matter and would see us on Monday.

Reckon his dad could have popped it, given his age, alcoholism and general state of health. Horrible silence in the office now.