User Tag List

Page 192 of 199 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194 ... LastLast
Results 9,551 to 9,600 of 9927

Thread: Do we live in a golden age of television?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread may need a rebrand at this point.

I'm thinking: "Oh, TV is shit too now".

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Haven't Amazon made something stupid like $50bn cumulative net profit during the past 20yr? How fucking greedy are they? That said, I did read that is your remove the AWS business, the e-commerce business still isn't profitable :/
    That isn't a lot of profit for a company that can deliver any and all shite to your house in a day.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they are in competition with a load of crazed Chinese drop shipping scams, I imagine they will be really stressed for cashflow soon. All empires fall.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capitalism is capitalsm.

I made a similar point at work recently (as I was pointing out we were making shit loads of profit but intent on doing a load of not-done-before stuff to try and make it a little bit better) and the leader person I was speaking to was a bit taken back I think. I think at higher levels they must get it droned into you daily that whatever number you bring isn’t good enough.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone actually watch much on Prime? I’m probably spoiled by being on a top Plex server, but it seems like Netflix and Disney are far more popular. Primes app UI is absolute garbage too.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Prime TV twice, once with my TV provider and the other from the Prime delivery, and I think I've only ever found 3 things to watch on it, maybe 4.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disney
    Apple
    Netflix
    Paramount
    Prime

In that order for me.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Now they are in competition with a load of crazed Chinese drop shipping scams, I imagine they will be really stressed for cashflow soon. All empires fall.
    As John Arne said, that’s not where they make their money. They make their money from being the back end of the entire internet at large. If Amazon disappeared tomorrow a good 98% of it would stop working.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Prime but more for the delivery shit.

I use it quite a bit, I've watched the following on there:

The Boys, Gen V, Wheel of Time, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Handmaid's Tale, Clarkson's Farm, James May shit and Invincible. Oh and football when it's on.

Definitely behind Disney and Netflix for me. I'd absolutely just pirate the stuff I wanted to watch if I didn't happen to have Prime. I might even do so in order to escape the ads.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't get the EPL stuff on it here because Premier Sport have the Amazon and TNT rights sewn up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be leaving Amazon anyway as they didn't bid.

In the UK the games will only be on Sky and TNT.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Capitalism is capitalsm.

I made a similar point at work recently (as I was pointing out we were making shit loads of profit but intent on doing a load of not-done-before stuff to try and make it a little bit better) and the leader person I was speaking to was a bit taken back I think. I think at higher levels they must get it droned into you daily that whatever number you bring isn’t good enough.
    I have this regularly with customers, especially in places like Spain and Portugal. They are often family-run businesses who just want to make their money so that the family continues to live well. The same profit every year is fine for them. We on the other hand must grow eternally, and if the customer isn't doing 10% more than last year they need to be assaulted until they do.

I think it's partly a Protestant-Catholic cultural thing, with US and UK very much beholden to the former, while the latter involves a distinct lack of personal freedom and a lot of touching kids so I think on balance I'll stick with us, but still, you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t believe they’ve brought on some disabled lass from the audience on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year. She can barely even speak

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that Channel 4's main thing?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to post yesterday wondering is it bad that I can't watch anything with Rosie Jones on or in it.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s unwatchable. Mel and Katherine Ryan on it as well to top it off

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this regularly with customers, especially in places like Spain and Portugal. They are often family-run businesses who just want to make their money so that the family continues to live well. The same profit every year is fine for them. We on the other hand must grow eternally, and if the customer isn't doing 10% more than last year they need to be assaulted until they do.

I think it's partly a Protestant-Catholic cultural thing, with US and UK very much beholden to the former, while the latter involves a distinct lack of personal freedom and a lot of touching kids so I think on balance I'll stick with us, but still, you know what I mean.
    "The Market" valuing growth over revenue is the core reason absolutely everything in the world is complete shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend works for a mortgage company and they managed to lose half of their staff inside a month last April, when they announced 2 things:

1) a reduced annual bonus owing to the cost of living crisis and the expectation of the business struggling over the coming year.

2) An increase in the dividend payment for shareholders.

Top, top capitalism. *chefs kiss*

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post

I was going to post yesterday wondering is it bad that I can't watch anything with Rosie Jones on or in it.
    Unbearable. Watching her on panel shows with the other guests waiting for her to stumble through a shit joke before forcing out a laugh is horrific.

Who the fuck is going to watch her standup?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people who pity her, probably.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer her to Katherine Ryan tbf.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck off with the Katherine Ryan slander.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rosie Jones thing I find quite an interesting conundrum. A huge part of comedy is timing and delivery - I'm not going to say it's impossible to achieve those things while speaking like she does, but I'd say it's incredibly difficult, especially when you're in something like a panel show setting where there's loads of back and forth, and everybody else is on a completely different rhythm to you. I'd say that with the way she speaks she is by definition bad at panel shows. Her own stand-up, more possible to make work I think.

Is that fair? No, but life isn't fair. I can't be a pro basketballer or painter because I'm too short and lack talent. Rosie Jones can be a great comedy writer and, with difficulty, could I suppose in theory be a comedy performer but I don't think she can ever be good on panel shows.

She would probably say fuck you putting up barriers in front of me. I think that's how a lot of people think because of all the race and gender stuff that's drummed into us. You can't do it with every minority position.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that fair? No, but life isn't fair. I can't be a pro basketballer or painter because I'm too short and lack talent.
    This is the crux of it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 2023. Inclusivity matters above everything, including the enjoyment of entertainment. Yay.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rosie Jones thing I find quite an interesting conundrum. A huge part of comedy is timing and delivery - I'm not going to say it's impossible to achieve those things while speaking like she does, but I'd say it's incredibly difficult, especially when you're in something like a panel show setting where there's loads of back and forth, and everybody else is on a completely different rhythm to you. I'd say that with the way she speaks she is by definition bad at panel shows. Her own stand-up, more possible to make work I think.

Is that fair? No, but life isn't fair. I can't be a pro basketballer or painter because I'm too short and lack talent. Rosie Jones can be a great comedy writer and, with difficulty, could I suppose in theory be a comedy performer but I don't think she can ever be good on panel shows.

She would probably say fuck you putting up barriers in front of me. I think that's how a lot of people think because of all the race and gender stuff that's drummed into us. You can't do it with every minority position.
    I saw her on Live at the Apollo and I could barely understand what she was saying. It's absolute lunacy that she's booked for a gig like that and I'd be genuinely curious to know how her solo stand up tour has gone.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will have gone great as all the people in attendance are there in some sort of performative arsehole capacity. Or they suffer from the same thing and find it empowering/entertaining/whatever. Or, alternatively, all sorts of terrible comedians seem to go down well with the masses so there is always the chance that tastes are generally poor.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand everything she says but I just don't find her funny. As Jim says it's about timing and delivery which she doesn't have.

Lost voice guy is a much better disabled comic.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comedy- as with society - has just been ruined by everything being polarised. As such, everything either has to be "woke", which is just unfunny people talking about how they're massive victims, on a stage, earning a fortune, bless 'em. Or the performatively "unwoke" (asleep?) like Gervais who is just making a living saying "we're not allowed to say that anymore" whilst, you know, saying the shit he's apparently not allowed to say.

It's all very boring. Creativity is completely dead at the moment. Mainstream Music, film, TV, comedy, is all dross.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 28-12-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's lots of creativity but none of it gets made because the money doesn't like to take risks.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won’t matter anyway as having seen ABBA Voyage recently I glimpsed a dystopian future where nothing new will ever break through again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to watch Basic Lee at the start of February so am hopeful all comedy isn't dead. His last show was a bit of a game of two halves though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be resurrected at some point. This stuff always comes in waves. It wasn't long ago - as per the tread title - that we were enjoying ground breaking stuff, it's just that the industry leaders got their hands on "the formula", made it safe and ruined it like they always do. The same happened with Rock, Punk, Hip Hop, Grime, etc. Something new and interesting will pop up at some point.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to watch Basic Lee at the start of February so am hopeful all comedy isn't dead. His last show was a bit of a game of two halves though.
    My sister said that it was good but the front row was full of weirdos who go and see his show every week, and he spent most of it genuinely berating them (as opposed to the act berating he always does).

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When there's dozens of actually good stand-ups with shows online, I have no idea why anyone who isn't an idiot would choose to watch a Gervais show. He was never a good stand-up, and he's not even made a good tv show since extras, and that's being quite kind to the pretty shit second season of that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon he got quite lucky with The Office. I can't really explain why, since I revere it as one of the best couple of sitcoms ever made and has stood up to countless rewatches, but everything in his career since then points to the Office being his luck / someone else's judgement. Either that or he just ran really hot for a year.

Afterlife is complete, and I mean complete shite.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all down to Merchant.

He's the real genius.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What genius stuff has Stephen Merchant done since The Office?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Christmas thing he did was alright.

Wasn't the office just a perfect collision of cast and concept?

Everyone peaked on the 11 o'clock show. Downhill from there.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merchant isn't a genius. It's just possible that at a certain time and place in certain circumstances, that combination of people came up with something quite briiliant and the chances of that happening twice for the same people are remote. Also I think Martin Freeman's Tim did a huge amount of heavy lifting at times, without that character it's basically some zany jokes.

Gervais's success in America (in that he has made shit tons of money there) is a bit of a mystery to me. I suppose he must have an outsider thing going on that we can't see.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What genius stuff has Stephen Merchant done since The Office?
    Hello Ladies was very good.

Although looking at his Wiki page that's about it. I retract my genius comment, it seems they need each other.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Americans probably felt they owed Gervais something after going and improving the Office. Not a difficult one in fairness.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The American Office isn't a patch on the UK one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never watched it, but I would imagine it's more watchable in a light entertainment sense. The Office is just relentlessly excruciating.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Office US seasons 2-6 are fantastic. After Michael leaves it drops off a hell of a lot.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon he got quite lucky with The Office. I can't really explain why, since I revere it as one of the best couple of sitcoms ever made and has stood up to countless rewatches, but everything in his career since then points to the Office being his luck / someone else's judgement. Either that or he just ran really hot for a year.

Afterlife is complete, and I mean complete shite.
    Aye, I know people just have shit taste, but i can't work out why people like it so much. Especially when you hear that it helps grieving people and how 'relatable ' Ricky's terrible two dimensional self-insert protagonist is - like, sorry to gatekeep your own grief there, guys, but are you a fucking spaz? I don't think it's an overstatement to say that these idiots deserved whatever horrible tragedy they suffered in their personal life.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ex also said she thought Derek was really relatable because she was a nurse, which was possibly even more baffling.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a victim is the fashion accessory of the decade. The beauty of Afterlife was that it gave anyone that's ever lost a loved one a chance to tweet / insta / Facebook post about thenlmselves, their loss and how they're the biggest victim in the world ever.

All those "hope ur OK hun?" replies flowing in? Beautiful.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 28-12-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never watched it, but I would imagine it's more watchable in a light entertainment sense. The Office is just relentlessly excruciating.
    They’re very different shows. The American one is an easy to watch, multiple times, in the background show. The UK one is a masterpiece but I wouldn’t want to binge it.