User Tag List

Page 292 of 342 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302 ... LastLast
Results 14,551 to 14,600 of 17059

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They heard the implosion of a tiny submarine 4 miles under water? I'm calling bullshit.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well no, they saw a noise that wasn't a sinewave that fit one of the fish there. Sonar is like 8 miles or so.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many successful dives did the submarine accomplish? If this was the first expedition then the people going in are insane, but if it had hundreds of successful trips, then not so much.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one appeared to have a big V on the side of the craft in the pre-launch stuff so I assumed this was the fifth 'expedition'.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    How many successful dives did the submarine accomplish? If this was the first expedition then the people going in are insane, but if it had hundreds of successful trips, then not so much.
    That's like saying jumping off a cliff isn't stupid because nobody has landed on the rocks yet. The obvious potential of it happening is what makes it stupid, not the eventuality of it actually happening. It was always a matter of time. The thing wasn't seaworthy.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think sometimes people forget just how mental the pressure is at those depths and how well engineered any vessel has to be to not be crushed.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow while all this was going on I ended up looking at similar things and one I'd never heard of before was Byford Dolphin, the details are horrific but in addition there's an official report with autopsy photos that's much worse. This is why I avoid the deep end of a swimming pool.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blood of the three divers left intact inside the chambers likely boiled instantly

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, even the wiki article is full on.

Investigation by forensic pathologists determined that Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the crescent-shaped opening measuring 60 centimetres (24 in) long created by the jammed interior trunk door

With the escaping air and pressure, it included bisection of his thoracoabdominal cavity, which resulted in fragmentation of his body, followed by expulsion of all of the internal organs of his chest and abdomen, except the trachea and a section of small intestine, and of the thoracic spine

Jesus fucking christ.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Apart from that, how was your day?'

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hun, you know how you've always loved the fact that my thoracoabdominal cavity was in one piece..... well....

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine something so traumatic happening so fast your brain can't even realise it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the rules of the internet is that it will eventually show you the Byford Dolphin pictures. Next up the Erfurt shitsplosion and that Japanese food poisoning flight.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    I think one of the rules of the internet is that it will eventually show you the Byford Dolphin pictures. Next up the Erfurt shitsplosion and that Japanese food poisoning flight.

I saw this post and went "pfft well I've never seen them" and then immediately went and Googled them, so yeah.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen them either and I'm not going to look them up.

Lemon party, meat spin and tub girl were the internet images back in my day.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    Yeah, I think sometimes people forget just how mental the pressure is at those depths and how well engineered any vessel has to be to not be crushed.
    I teach this shit every single year. I did not forget the relationship between pressure and depth.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    That's like saying jumping off a cliff isn't stupid because nobody has landed on the rocks yet. The obvious potential of it happening is what makes it stupid, not the eventuality of it actually happening. It was always a matter of time. The thing wasn't seaworthy.
    Analyzing track record, which is what I asked for, is how we make most of our risk assessments, not by looking at "the obvious potential of [something bad] happening."

A better example than yours is bungee jumping. Jumping off a bridge with a rubber band attached to your legs has the obvious potential of death. If someone invited me to bungee jump and told me that I would be the fifth person to ever do it, I would definitely decline the offer. If a company tells me that hundreds of people have used their bungee jump for the last five years and there has never been an accident, then I would still decline, but that is because it does not interest me, not because I would be worried about my safety. Anyone jumping looked at the track record and determined the activity safe. No one is asking what governing body certified the ropes or whether the metal used for the harness is appropriate for the forces being exerted at the ticket booth.

Likewise, getting on an aluminum can that flies miles above the ground has the obvious potential of death. Yet when someone is scared of flying, you don't tell them not to worry, since X governing body certified the plane and the correct materials were used for the fasteners used to attach the wings. You tell them that, statistically, air travel is the safest form of travel and that they are more likely to die in a car crash. Without looking, I bet that you cannot tell me what material the last plane you flew on is made of, what governing body certified it, what are the safety features in place to ensure depressurization does not occur, what is the maintenance schedule of the engines, etc. Yet you hop on planes no problem, because they have a good track record.

As for this experimental submarine, same thing. If niko is right and this was its fifth trip, then I think that you need to be insane to get on that thing. But if someone told me that this gamepad-controlled submarine previously had 10,000 successful trips to the Titanic, then I still wouldn't do it because I cannot afford it and it doesn't really interest me, but I wouldn't be particularly worried about the safety of it, even though going underwater has obvious potential of something bad happening. Plus who knows, maybe the people that got on that thing actually did their due diligence, carefully analyzed the safety features of the submarine, and decided that the risk level was worth it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.as.com/latest_news/how-ma...n-were-they-n/

Honestly, it sounds like the Titanic dives were fraught with problems. The kind of service you offer to explorers as part of an expedition rather than tourists with the money. Fifth trip might not be too far off.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are ignorant, they haven't forgotten about pressure at depth they just never thought about it for any length of time or made assumptions based on a film or what they think/assume should happen. You think about something underwater leaking and you think about water spraying through gaps and those little doors with a wheel on, it's understandable that you don't immediately think that it's going to boil your blood and turn you into a fine pink mist.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Analyzing track record, which is what I asked for, is how we make most of our risk assessments, not by looking at "the obvious potential of [something bad] happening."

A better example than yours is bungee jumping. Jumping off a bridge with a rubber band attached to your legs has the obvious potential of death. If someone invited me to bungee jump and told me that I would be the fifth person to ever do it, I would definitely decline the offer. If a company tells me that hundreds of people have used their bungee jump for the last five years and there has never been an accident, then I would still decline, but that is because it does not interest me, not because I would be worried about my safety. Anyone jumping looked at the track record and determined the activity safe. No one is asking what governing body certified the ropes or whether the metal used for the harness is appropriate for the forces being exerted at the ticket booth.

Likewise, getting on an aluminum can that flies miles above the ground has the obvious potential of death. Yet when someone is scared of flying, you don't tell them not to worry, since X governing body certified the plane and the correct materials were used for the fasteners used to attach the wings. You tell them that, statistically, air travel is the safest form of travel and that they are more likely to die in a car crash. Without looking, I bet that you cannot tell me what material the last plane you flew on is made of, what governing body certified it, what are the safety features in place to ensure depressurization does not occur, what is the maintenance schedule of the engines, etc. Yet you hop on planes no problem, because they have a good track record.

As for this experimental submarine, same thing. If niko is right and this was its fifth trip, then I think that you need to be insane to get on that thing. But if someone told me that this gamepad-controlled submarine previously had 10,000 successful trips to the Titanic, then I still wouldn't do it because I cannot afford it and it doesn't really interest me, but I wouldn't be particularly worried about the safety of it, even though going underwater has obvious potential of something bad happening. Plus who knows, maybe the people that got on that thing actually did their due diligence, carefully analyzed the safety features of the submarine, and decided that the risk level was worth it.
    People are generally terrible at assessing risk, immediate emotional response has a huge skewing effect. It's why stuff like COVID being in the news 24/7 fucked so many people up or why a car attack being in the news makes everyone hate muzzies.

He's an extreme example but my dad thinks I'm mental for going sport climbing but will drive across the country without a seat belt on unless someone nags at him.

Telling someone who's scared of flying that planes never crash won't do much a lot of the time, my girlfriend is scared of heights so she's scared of being 30 thousand feet in the air by default.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    People are ignorant, they haven't forgotten about pressure at depth they just never thought about it for any length of time or made assumptions based on a film or what they think/assume should happen. You think about something underwater leaking and you think about water spraying through gaps and those little doors with a wheel on, it's understandable that you don't immediately think that it's going to boil your blood and turn you into a fine pink mist.
    Do you think it was instant? Breach occurs, everything collapses at once and they're all evaporated?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heights and flying aren't really the same fear. I hate heights but I'm fine with flying.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where the discussion is now but I don’t think anyone (or very few people) can comprehend what 380 times surface pressure actually feels like, and nor would I expect them to.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Do you think it was instant? Breach occurs, everything collapses at once and they're all evaporated?
    100%. Only question that I think remains is when. Did they have hours/days of horror first?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    100%. Only question that I think remains is when. Did they have hours/days of horror first?
    That's what I meant. Were they aware something was wrong, or did something go wrong and it was lights out before they knew about it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they didn’t, it’s not the worst way to go as they still won’t have any memory/feeling of what happened, even if there’s an afterlife.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I meant. Were they aware something was wrong, or did something go wrong and it was lights out before they knew about it.
    It should be pretty obvious to tell from the debris I’d imagine, but not seen anyone mention much more on that.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the pressure chamber failed near the ocean floor, they'll have had at most, a split second, but they'll have been obliterated before they ever realised what was going on.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's make a sub to the destruction site of this sub we can have Mahow drive it and charge a mere 200k a pop lads

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them being alive for any length of time would mean the thing broke down then went pop later which seems less likely that it just getting crushed in an instant because of some structural failure. In which case they I don't think they would have known anything was even wrong, my only reference is things like vacuum tanks which go from fine to fucked instantly, it's not the kind of thing that only happens a little bit.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/amstuart1994/sta...17541831110656

Also, fluids (including blood) boil at higher temperatures as pressure increases. Can someone explain where the boiling blood is coming from? I guess everyone just got compacted and crushed into million of very tiny bits.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Let's make a sub to the destruction site of this sub we can have Mahow drive it and charge a mere 200k a pop lads
    Only if I can bring a webcam lass with me.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing that everything gets hot enough, quick enough for boiling to occur. Still, that is not due to the pressure. Blood boiling is more likely to occur in space.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/amstuart1994/sta...17541831110656

Also, fluids (including blood) boil at higher temperatures as pressure increases. Can someone explain where the boiling blood is coming from? I guess everyone just got compacted and crushed into million of very tiny bits.
    The Wiki page for the Byford Dolphin (I didn't google the photos, obviously) has this:
    "The autopsy suggested that rapid bubble formation in the blood denatured the lipoprotein complexes, rendering the lipids insoluble.[3]: 101  The blood of the three divers left intact inside the chambers likely boiled instantly, stopping their circulation."

Whether the same has been said to happen on the Titan or if the people on here who knew about the former assumed the same happened on the latter I don't know. But again, presumably it all happens so quickly it's not a thing you really feel happening either way.

Still horrible, obviously.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what a Byford Dolphin is, but it just occurred to me during lunch that at those pressures everything is probably just getting superheated.

EDIT: Having looked at the Dolphin incident, that one seems to be the opposite. They quickly went from 9 atms to 1 atm. In that case, boiling makes sense. I assume that in the Titanic one the opposite happened. They were inside the low pressure vessel, which either collapsed due to the high pressure outside of it or had a leak, which caused the pressure to quickly rise.
    Last edited by Pepe; 23-06-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Byford was explosive decompression (or whatever) rather than an implosion, not that I could tell you much about the differences.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen a slurry tanker collapse in once, goes in a blink and some whack off it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I (naively, I suppose) didn't expect to come out of all this is the existence of Titanic deniers.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so much internet now that there's probably deniers of everything out there somewhere.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world is just obsessed with absolute bollocks these days. It's incredible how the Internet has ruined society so quickly.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t mind if these theories at least had a reason behind them, like the moon landings one, but why would anybody claim a ship sank that didn’t? It’s the lack of critical thinking that really disappoints me with these people.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC they think it's the Titanics sister ship, and they deliberately sank it as an insurance con. That's the conspiracy I've heard, anyway.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot sense because you wouldn't do that on a maiden voyage. With a full crew and passengers. It also falls apart because the Olympic had design differences you couldn't cover up.

Also, the Olympic was like ... in service doing a return journey when the Titanic sank.
    Last edited by Shindig; 24-06-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Olympic being a bloodthirsty demon ship is the more fun theory.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's never met a ship it hasn't thumped.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, crushed to smithereens by the ocean or "ingested" [engested? ] by a jet engine?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd think those places would be so regimented to prevent ground staff being swallowed up like that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like he wanted it that way.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This RTÉ stuff is glorious

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French riots are ten a penny but this one is especially spicy.

Lions being set free from the zoos.