User Tag List

Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 2417

Thread: Football Manager 23

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how the UCL league fixtures are decided? I've just been given the following run:

Zagreb
    Lille
    Atleti
    Juventus
    Hearts (lol)
    PSG
    Bayern
    Arsenal

Not a chance.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's three seasons in a row we've lost to the eventual winners now...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Does anyone know how the UCL league fixtures are decided? I've just been given the following run:

Zagreb
    Lille
    Atleti
    Juventus
    Hearts (lol)
    PSG
    Bayern
    Arsenal

Not a chance.
    It's meant to be two from pot 1, two from pot 2, pot 3 and then pot 4.

So PSG and Bayern as pot 1? Arsenal and Juve from pot 2, Atleti and Lille pot 3 and finally Hearts and Zagreb from pot 4.

It used to be complete pot luck and the game didn't tell you shit but it's a bit better now.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. Here's hoping we can stretch to a 24th place finish.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my last update, I was just about to leave Kitchee SC in Hong Kong in the summer of 2027, after winning pretty much every domestic trophy that was on offer. I had high hopes of making a step forward in the world of football, but as it happened I ended up leaving a professional club to join a semi-pro outfit who had just been relegated to the 2nd tier - Warrenpoint Town in Northern Ireland.

Despite relegation, the squad looked quite good for the NIFL Championship, and immediate promotion was the aim. However, a number of first-team players were pretty unhappy and wouldn't even talk to me regarding contract extensions. And with the contracts being a bit weird in Northern Ireland (some expire in the summer as you'd expect, but others expire at the end of the calendar year), we were due to lose some key players halfway through the season. But with some smart work in the loan market, we were able to replace most of the players leaving and it ended up being a bit of a breeze as we strolled to the title and promotion back to the Danske Bank Premiership.

Conor Carty was the key man up top as we played a very attacking 4-4-2, with the wingers pushed on. We picked him up on a free at the start of the season and he stormed to the top of the scoring charts.

Back in the top tier, we started well despite losses to Coleraine and Linfield. Survival was the aim, and we were over-achieving in the first 15 games, pushing for the top 4 at one point. But as December came around, the fixtures piled up massively, especially with the various regional cups that Northern Ireland throws at you. And our semi-professional status really began to have a negative affect - we were having to rotate heavily for every game and our results took a hit.

I had my eye on the job market as I really felt that I'd achieved as much as I could without embarking on a long-term project at Warrenpoint. And one job in particular caught my eye in the 2nd tier of South Africa.

Black Leopards had enjoyed an impressive campaign, challenging for promotion after being predicted to sit in mid-table mediocrity. Their manager had been poached by a Premiership club in December while they sat in 4th, but the board still only expected a top-half finish. They were happy to accept my application and I jetted off to Africa, leaving Warrenpoint in 5th with half the season to play.

The contract situation was quite strange when I joined, as I was unable to offer extensions to any players until after March. But we were able to pick up some freebies, strengthen the squad depth in the loan market and push on for promotion. Top spot was a little out of reach but we embarked on a great unbeaten run as the season wound down, helped by our striker Sifiso Williams, who ended up with 21 goals in 31 apps.

We went into the strange play-off mini league for promotion in good form, but we entered the last game needing a win for promotion - anything less would have meant our opponents were up instead. And thankfully, an academy product Litha Meyer curled in a free kick in what was to be his last game for the club, giving us a 1-0 win and promotion to the DSTV Premiership.

Despite being heavy favourites for relegation, we've started in good form in the top tier, sitting 3rd after 10 games. Williams has 9 goals already and there's a good basis for development at the club. Youth intake seems to be of a very high quality - a number of first teamers came through the academy, and as such it's a young squad that can hopefully push on throughout the year. Sipho Ndlovu looks very bright on the left side in particular.

I've just accepted a contract extension to the end of the 2030-31 season - ideally I can make a bit more of a name for myself here and then move on to a professional job in Europe to really build up the reputation.
    Last edited by thommo; 26-03-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone play the mobile version of FM23? I don't have time to play the full version so have to settle for this one. It looks very much like a watered down version of the full game but still decent enough.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 2 - 2023/24 - Aberdeen - End of Season Update

With Europa League football secured we were given a decent budget of £2.4m to make some additions, which would have been good but what made it even better was Stoke coming in for Bojan Moivski and having negotiated £9m straight cash it was just too good to turn down. Armed with an £11m WARCHEST, I set about replacing all of the loans and building a squad that Aberdeen would actually own.

Nearly all of the business was done in the summer, but light on striking options I moved for Shpendi in the winter window.

The League

3rd again, which I'll settle for and we accrued 3 more points than last season. Feel I can overhaul Rangers in the next season or two but Celtic are just ridiculous and that'll be another matter entirely. I need that sweet, sweet Champions League money ASAP.

The Cups

Disappointing. To lose to St. Mirren in the League Cup was bad enough, but getting dumped out of the FA Cup by a Championship team was just bobbins. Fixture congestion is real, so I may need to play the reserves in the League Cup going forward.

Europe

With Aberdeen ranked 227th on the coefficient list this was nearly the best thing I've ever accomplished in CM or FM and still amazing as it was. So many incredible performances in games I went into assuming I'd get battered. Man Utd were a step too far, but even that wasn't a hammering.

Season 3 thoughts

A decent budget again and with far more players now interested in joining us we really could improve both the first team and the depth. Back in the Europa League as well, it's imperative we get a decent draw in the playoff and make the group stages again - new nonsense format for the win I believe.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm comfortably getting in champions league, and easily picking up players for £1-10m that I can flip for £40m+, it does all feel a bit futile. I know I was doing exactly the same plug and play fm approach most seasoned cunts like us use from the start of the save, but I was able to suspend my disbelief a bit more when I was going up the divisions. Now it's basically a question of how many seasons of buying for a quarter and selling for a buck it'll take to win everything.

It must be really hard to be an FM streamer like benji and loki and deliberately tank to create the illusion of jeopardy without it being really obvious.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 3 - 2024/25 - Aberdeen - End of Season Update

Season 3 began with our biggest WARCHEST to date and I set about spending all of it to transform the club.

£3.7m from Milan breaks our transfer record and delivers what I consider to be a genuinely good player to the midfield.

Ferguson left Aberdeen for £3m in the summer the game starts and he's been on my radar to get back since we began. Out of favour in Italy and at £1.7m an absolute bargain.

£800k a bit steep for this chap, but he's club grown and I needed someone who fitted that criteria to keep the squad on the side of the European rules.

With his brother an instant hit we swooped to complete the set from Cesena for £1.5m.

The Kevin Richardson to my big Ron. With Cambuur relegated £1.2m was coughed up to bring the massive Latvian to Scotland.

Signed this ex Real prospect from the bowels of Spain for £100k and couldn't initially get a work permit for him so back there he went.

On the players out side of things some shit left, with the one notable deal being Mason Hancock to Stoke for £4.5m.

League Cup

Our first trophy and with it 62 Hall of Fame points. Now I don't have to play in the group stages of this shite I'm quite a fan.

Winter Window

The most exciting youngster I've got so far, Granger was inexplicably released by Ross County and with a load of Prem clubs sniffing about I offered him 10x what he wanted to get the deal done there and then.

Another in the list of youngsters to leave Aberdeen for pastures new, I couldn't afford to buy him but 50% of his wages + £100k a month seemed a no brainer.

FA Cup

Disappointing in the cup again, but fixture congestion was very real by the point we went out.

League

It's taken three years, but we've finally toppled the Old Firm's grip on the top two and with it passage into the Champions League qualifying playoffs. Just need to stay there now.

Europe

Another magical European run that has done wonders for our coefficient (think we're around top 40 in Europe now), that ended with a bit of whimper as we were thoroughly outplayed by Fiorentina. A European trophy at this stage would have been lovely, but alas it was not to be.

Season 4 Thoughts

That's the budget for Season 4. Now the first team is relatively good I need to start bringing in more youngsters and turn Aberdeen into production factory that develops then flips them. It'll be a key piece of the strategy if we're to overhaul Celtic, let alone turn Aberdeen into a European force. I also need to qualify for the Champions League proper, which will be easier said than done.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Anyone play the mobile version of FM23? I don't have time to play the full version so have to settle for this one. It looks very much like a watered down version of the full game but still decent enough.
    I recently played it on a flight. It’s very engaging, and so long as you don’t want to really control everything then it’s enjoyable. I basically waited for my scouts to tell me who to loan, hit instant result and fiddled with tactics until I started doing well.

Next time I plan on playing it, I’ll be sure to set up the logos/kits/faces etc to make it even better.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been feeling Dortmund since I finished the season, so over the last couple of weeks I've been faffing about with the new database & doing a few games to play about, but I think I've settled on a new save over the last few days.

I downloaded a few extra league files & have decided to start a club & country/building a nation type save in Latvia with Ventspils. Having started, I've noticed a few errors with the database - the league format is wrong, they've moved everything over to what's actually meant to be an under 18s team & the stadium only holds 100 people - but I'm three seasons in now so we're just rolling with it & pretending things are what they should be.

A Quick History of Ventspils, Brought to You by Wikipedia:

FK Ventspils is one of the biggest clubs in Latvia, and the only Latvian side to play in the Europa League group stages (2009/10). They dominated the league from 2005-2015, however they were shut down in 2020 & then somehow also banned from Europe until 2027/28 the year after, having been a right bunch of dodgy bastards. They reformed in 2023 & now play in the third tier.

--

In game, there appear to be two Ventspils teams - JFK Ventspils & FA Ventspils. In the main game it looks like JFK are the correct one, but on the file I'm using all the current players & manager etc are on FA Ventspils, so we're pretending that's the correct one & JFK are some other dickheads. Despite our former glory we don't have loads of money or reputation, and having reformed are back to being some random collection of amateurs.

Pleasingly, we've managed to secure back to back promotions anyway, mostly thanks to Aleksejs Davidenkovs steamrolling the lower leagues at more than a goal a game over both seasons. We may have climbed to fast though, as we've now gone pro & have immediately started losing £40k a month, mostly through paying wages. We were favourites to go down at the start of the season, but luckily some kind agents showed up from Brazil with a van full of lads willing to join us, so we've pulled in three ringers who should be enough to keep us up, albeit they're not exactly helping us with the whole wages problem.

--

As for the national team, well, it's fucking Latvia. We're getting trashed by almost everyone, and although we did manage to get promoted from our nations league group we're immediately back into a relegation playing having failed to hang with Luxembourg & Montenegro. I'm starting to try to phase all the old lads out & start bringing through some young players, but I don't think it's going to make much difference for a while yet, and I'm expecting I'll end up getting canned sooner or later, so fingers crossed Ventspils don't go under or I'll be having to try to find a new save again.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give that lad some caps.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-0 down from the first leg having played 73 minutes of it with 10 men, this then happens in the second leg.

Gutted doesn't begin to describe it.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Give that lad some caps.
    He’s scored 3 goals in half a season in the top flight, so I think he’s just a lower league machine sadly. We do have an 18 year old GK that I’ve given a debut to, although he’s out of contract at the end of the season & doesn’t want to sign a new deal, so that’s probably not going to help us out very much.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    2-0 down from the first leg having played 73 minutes of it with 10 men, this then happens in the second leg.

Gutted doesn't begin to describe it.
    Uldrikis.... more like Uldrimiss.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nom nom nom.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nom nom nom.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the first tiem this has happened when managing Crewe

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Bennell Arena.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nonce's Bar can be found near the club shop.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made it to the end of our first season in the Virsliga, and we managed to survive, finishing 8th thanks to a good start to the season. There are clearly a few different tiers in the league, and we're very much in the bottom one, which became obvious over the second half of the season where we could barely get a win.

The Brazilian ringers we brought in helped out, with Rodrigues leading the way as our top scorer, whilst Mendes & Rodrigo gave us some extra quality at the back. We also managed to bring in Marks Kurtiss in the middle of the season, and he chipped in with ten goals to help provide some extra firepower.

We've already lost our starting goalkeeper for next season, and we'll probably also be saying goodbye to club legend Aleksejs Davidenkovs after 87 goals in 98 games over his three seasons with us. I've moved some of our wage budget over to give us one month of full global scouting, which will hopefully help us find some extra talent to bring us closer to the teams above us, but I think it'll be a slow climb as we're going to struggle to hold on to good players for more than a couple of seasons. We've also got a new stadium on the way, but it'll be two more seasons before we move, so finances are going to continue to be an issue for the foreseeable future.

-

In terms of Latvia, we obviously failed to qualify for the World Cup, but we did perform pretty well, picking up 9pts that included a win over Belgium. We have our national league relegation playoff in March, but hopefully we'll have enough to see off Azerbaijan. I've started bringing some young players through, so fingers crossed we'll start to see a few of them establish themselves over the next couple of seasons & maybe we'll have an outside shot of qualifying for the Euros if things fall nicely.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I genuinely believed it was an actual injury, Miles fucking got me the giant bellend.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 4 - 2025/26 - Aberdeen - End of Season Update

Season 4 done and I managed something I don't think I can ever recall doing on any FM or CM ever. Spoiler - it was not a good thing.

Summer Transfers

£125k from Nancy, looks like a bit of a bargain.

£325k from one of Real Madrid's feeder teams, wouldn't normally buy a player with no face but we needed the squad depth at centre-back and he was on budget.

Technically bereft, but like the guy's work ethic. £2.4m from Las Palmas.

£60k from Airdrieonians, hopefully one for the future.

Rest of the budget went into the win bonuses and we were ready to go.

Champions League Qualifying

Covered this above, but our first attempt to qualify for the Champions League group stage proper ended in an agonising penalty defeat.

On the plus side, we did drop into the Europa League group stage.

Scottish League Cup

More heartbreak and again on penalties. Having won this tournament last year we just couldn't fend off Celtic in the final this.

Winter Transfers

Without much at all left to spend I headed into the window not expecting to be able to do much business and then it happened. Al Sadd started sniffing around Adli and he wanted to leave. I'd forgotten he had an £18.75m release clause, but the Saudi's were prepared to pay it and suddenly we had a very decent budget to work with. The board then chucked another £5m on top of this and it was time to go shopping.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter Transfers Continued

First three players were all free transfers we'd had lined up for a while.

£155k from a Spanish basement club, has progressed excellently since he joined.

£2m from Serbia, immediately became first choice right back.

£1.5m from Toulouse.

£925k from Real Sporting. A budget Iniesta or Xavi if you will.

£3.5m from Boca Juniors

£700k from Tondela.

I still had a fair few quid left, but there were a couple of targets I couldn't secure before the window SLAMMED SHUT.

The League

Target was to at least finish 2nd again and we missed out on that on goal difference. 3rd disappointment of the season.

FA Cup

To beat Celtic in the semi's was great and I really fancied us to take Rangers in the final, but despite dominating for most of the match they fucked us on the break and sealed it with two in injury time. Disappointment number 4.

Europa League

Having dropped out of the Champions League qualifying we sailed through the group phase and took care of Famagusta before the all Scottish showdown in the last 16. The 3-0 win away from home was a joy and we were in the quarters. Bayer Leverkusen was fairly comfortable and I thought Lyon was too until we nearly fucked the 2nd leg, but we got the winner in extra time and there it was, our second European final in a row. We faced Fiorentina again who we'd lost to in the Conference League final the year before and while we were much better, we just couldn't score. Disappointment number 5.

Season 5 thoughts

On balance and despite losing three cup finals, the Champions League playoff and missing out on second in the league on goal difference season 4 was a good one. Our European coefficient is now through the roof and we still have this season to add to it and the squad was much improved. That said, I definitely want a trophy this season and we absolutely have to finish second in the league as a minimum.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventspils & Latvia 2026 Update

Well, despite my washing machine flooding my bathroom this afternoon I've managed to finish our second season in the Virsliga, and it's been a surprisingly good one.

Having finished 8th last season & been clearly in the bottom tier of the league we took a huge tier jump this season, thanks to the addition of a couple more ringers, as I forked out for a couple of months of global scouting to maximise our chances of getting the right players in, resulting in the additions of Adailton as our new starting goalkeeper & Nicacio Spachi up front as our last two non-EU players. The real difference maker, however, was a Latvian, as we nabbed Daniels Smitins on a free & watched as he broke the league's scoring record with 33 goals in 31(2) games to propel us into contention for Europe.

It went right to the wire, with us Valmiera & Liepaja battling it out for two spots. The problem, though, was that they were also playing each other in the cup final, which takes away one of the European qualification places, and with Liepaja winning the trophy & finishing fifth, that meant we were in a straight fight with Valmiera to take third place & the last remaining European spot. Things got a bit tricky when we lost to them a month from the end of the season, but with an easier run in we managed to take it to the final day with both of us tied, although we had the advantage with a better goal difference. We took on the bottom side who hadn't won all season, whilst Valmiera faced the league leaders who had to win to secure the title. Happily, there was no final day drama as we beat Super Nova 3-0 whilst 10 man RFS beat Valmiera 2-0 to secure them the title & us a place in Europe

It wasn't all sunshine & rainbows, however, as shortly after that we were told that we're dropping back down to semi pro, despite the spot in Europe promising to wipe at least half of our debt away just for showing up. I'm hoping this doesn't mean we lose all our players, but if we have to let one or two of the Brazilians go they should be easy enough to replace.

--

It's been a pretty good year with the national team too, as we've secured a second place finish in our Nations League group & continued to bring through some young players, including my boy Daniels Smitins who strolled in & smashed in 5 goals in his first 2 games. I think he's quite good He's got something to aim for, though, as Yev's boy Roberts Uldrikis became Latvia's record goalscorer this year, overtaking Maris Verpakovskis with 31 goals in 64 international appearances. He's still only 28 too, so he should push that close to 50 assuming he stays fairly healthy over the next few seasons.

Just like the with Ventspils, though, the year finished with bad news in my inbox as we were drawn against Portugal, Norway, Greece & Belarus in our Euro 2028 qualifying group, which will probably result in a lot of kickings & not many points.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aberdeen game is another that can be added to the scrap heap of failed saves. The board started selling my players out from under me, despite us not remotely needing the money, so fuck that.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The Aberdeen game is another that can be added to the scrap heap of failed saves. The board started selling my players out from under me, despite us not remotely needing the money, so fuck that.
    I won’t suggest managing TTH then.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's going to happen at 99% of clubs until you've got great reputation or can easily fund any project.

I imagine as well that the bullshit FM projections (which are always wrong by a country mile) play a part in it too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've had it before in other saves, but so frustrating and much more damaging when you're trying to peg back Celtic and Rangers. Might be Ferguson's best achievement that.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Palamós CF 2039/40 Season Update:

Transfers In:

Had him signed shortly after he was produced so technically came in last season (why have they still not fixed this?), £4.2m only which I feel is a bargain. Will look to send him out on loan next season.

He's a guy I've chased for a few seasons now and I've been close to signing him but could never quite work out a deal which worked for us. We paid £110m up front with £75m in instalments. He's ancient for one of my signings but I can't deny he's incredible and thought he could be the final piece of the puzzle to put us over the edge. Unfortunately he dealt with a couple of really bad injuries this year.

£2m is peanuts and I think he could be good. Will look to loan him out next year.

Transfers Out:

With the arrival of Medina I needed to sell our former first choice RB who had actually become our third choice with the mega signing as his former backup was looking a lot better than him.

League:

Our only loss was with a heavily rotated side. We're just far too good for anyone else in the league.

Cups:

Whoops.

Europe:

Again we looked amazing in the league phase but then turned to shit in the knockouts. The second leg against Dortmund was particularly infuriating, they only had two highlights (one of which was a penalty) and they finished with an xG of 1.06 after 120 minutes. We on the other hand absolutely battered them from minute one but just couldn't finish. My top striker in particular was shocking, he finished the match with a 6.4 despite scoring a goal because he kept missing big chances. He alone had an xG of 2.85 in that game.

Against PSG we continued to be shit. The first leg was tight but my defence and keeper were sloppy and gifted them two goals. In the second leg they scored after seconds but my striker replied back quickly but was then forced off injured. From there it was done.

I'm still seething, especially as my main striker is annoyed that we didn't win as promised but he has to take a long look at himself for chances he missed.

Squad:

This squad is good enough to win the Champions League but we keep bottling it. I've set a limit on this save, it ends in 2 seasons in 2042/43. The 20 year mark. We have two more chances to win the Champions League otherwise it's a complete failure. The clock is ticking dickheads.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £185m for 31 year old... madness

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was 30 at the time...

But this is what I've been saying the last few seasons about trying to buy established players. It takes mountains of fucking cash which is why he's the only established player I've actually bought in the save recently. Everyone over the age of 24 seems to either be wank or cost £200m+.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, get that far in a save and so many of the players are useless and the ones that aren't will cost an absolute fortune.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the aborted attempts at a World Journeyman game and the Aberdeen save, hopefully it's 3rd time lucky with this one - a European Journeyman game, with every vanilla nation and division loaded.

Starting with no rep and Sunday league playing experience pickings were slim, but we secured a job in the 4th tier of Swedish football with Angered BK, a semi-professional outfit.

This is the state of play we inherit, with a 5 month contract on £425 a week to take us to the end of the season. The target is to avoid relegation, which I'd be happy to do, but the most important thing is that the board (after a bit of an argument) have agreed to fund my National C coaching license. Onwards and upwards.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventspils & Latvia 2027 Update

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It wasn't all sunshine & rainbows, however, as shortly after that we were told that we're dropping back down to semi pro, despite the spot in Europe promising to wipe at least half of our debt away just for showing up. I'm hoping this doesn't mean we lose all our players, but if we have to let one or two of the Brazilians go they should be easy enough to replace.
    Dropping to semi-pro caused us a few problems with player retention as expected, but luckily we had most of our best players nailed down for another season or two, so we were able to keep up our momentum from last season, once again finding ourselves in a three way battle for 3rd-5th place. Valmiera once again gave us a push for most of the season, with Spartaks Jurmala the third wheel this time around, but once again we managed to hold strong down the closing stretch to finish up looking pretty comfortable in third, and we actually only finished a point behind RFS in the end, having beaten them in a meaningless game on the final day.

Europe was where it was at, however, as with us losing about £25k a month a good run was going to be huge to claw back some of the debt & maybe give us a push back to professional status. We entered the first qualifying round of the Conference League and got a pretty nice draw against Havnar Boltfelag of the Faroe Islands, who we saw off 3-0 on aggregate to basically wipe out all our debt. We faced FC Pyunik of Armenia in the second qualifying round, and after losing 2-1 away we came back to Latvia & rolled them 5-1 to send us through. That was where it ended though, as we faced Slovakian side Dunajska Streda who destroyed us 7-0 on aggregate, but I don't care because this whole campaign made us about £1.1m.

We were mostly carried by the same players as last season, with Nicacio Spachi, Daniels Smitins & Rodrigues providing the goals whilst Adailton kept them out at the other end. Unfortunately, Spachi is one of the players we haven't been able to keep, as he didn't want to sign a new deal so we've sold him back to Brazil for £20k, which is nothing, but the 50% of next sale clause will hopefully net us a nice bit of cash. We lost a couple of other starters in midfield, but with all that extra money in the bank I think I can afford another month of global scouting to revamp the side in the offseason.

The best news of all, though, is the double whammy of our new stadium being ready for next season & the news that we're going back to professional status, which should hopefully help me keep the guys who were going to be out of contract after next season. Another good run in Europe next season & we might even be able to afford to upgrade our facilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Just like the with Ventspils, though, the year finished with bad news in my inbox as we were drawn against Portugal, Norway, Greece & Belarus in our Euro 2028 qualifying group, which will probably result in a lot of kickings & not many points.
    That pretty much covers how the year went for the national side. We managed a draw & win against Belarus in our group, but lost every other game, although surprisingly none were worse than 3-0, so I'll consider that progress! I was disappointed to lose both of our friendlies, against Hungary & Cape Verde, but I do think we're slowly improving as we get more newgens & nationalised foreign players into the side. It's still going to be a while before we have any chance of making a tournament, but we can pretty much put out a competent side now & I'm optimistic we can solidify out spot in Nations League C, and maybe even win a friendly in 2028!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only had to play 11 games as it turned out so season is done by the end of September.

We did pretty well, but I don't particularly want to stay at a semi-pro club where the highest earner is on £25 a week, so I'll stay until I have my first coaching badge and then hopefully get a job with a 1 star club in a winter league.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the big change in the Champions League format, even in 2029/30 it's always the same old teams

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After holidaying for a bit we're back in the game, joining Dan in Latvia.

We take over at one star rep club Spartaks Jurmala who've just finished 6th, but perhaps more importantly are a fully pro outfit. Squad looks a massive step up in quality from the Swedish 4th tier.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    European Journeyman Game - 2023 - Spartaks Jurmala - Mid Season Update

On the plus side and with a mid-table finish sought by the board we're outperforming that comfortably at the moment. I'd hoped to qualify for Europe which is 3rd or 4th, but a second placed finish would be amazing. Now for the negatives...

I have some decent players, but they're nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title and worse still, all the best ones wanted to leave before I joined so I have like 4/5 players who are just running their contracts down to leave at the end of the season. That makes staying on an absolute no, even if we qualify for Europe. I'm still a half star rep manager, albeit my rep on the stats screen has increased to 10% from 5%, but we absolutely have to get that up to one star during this one and done season in Latvia, which given the board won't let me do a coaching course to this point means we need to win the cup, which starts this month, to stand any chance.

One thing about Latvia that took me unawares, the scheduling is absolutely brutal. The league's quite straight forward, in that you play each team four times and there's none of that second stage nonsense that plagues so much of the developing football World at the moment, but for some unknown reason they bunch the whole thing up so I had to play 16 of my 36 games in April and May alone. Madness.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally! National A license here we come.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see Riga struggling that much, they’re the clear top team in my game.

Not sure what the deal is with the scheduling, but it is a bit strange to run half the season in April & May then play about three games in June.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nuts. My scheduling is this:

March - 1 game
    April - 8 games
    May - 8 games
    June - 1 game
    July - 3 games
    August - 3 games
    September - 6 games
    October - 3 games
    November - 3 games

We don't really have much squad depth so I was cancelling training left, right and centre in the Spring, but now we're out of that hopefully we do even better and can hang on to 2nd place.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cracking win over Riga and we're into the quarter-finals for the cup.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No better challenge in FM than a fallen giant save. Fifteen years into my Benelux adventure and Ajax have gone off the deep end. Relegated to the KKD. Thirteen first team players aged 32 and over. Reputation & finances in the mud.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    European Journeyman Game - 2023 - Spartaks Jurmala - End of Season Update

So our time in Latvia has come to end. With players abandoning the club all over the place we leave an absolute train wreck behind, but how did we do?

Second in the league secured quite comfortably in the end, so it all came down to the cup for our first trophy.

Having beaten Riga in a cracking away win we drew non-league Rezekne and then seriously struggled against Grobinas, but prevailed to set up a final with RFS, which I expected to lose comfortably.

Toggle Spoiler
    Last edited by Yevrah; 07-04-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice season Yev, can you send your Riga team over to my game?

I've just noticed in my game that the rules for next season are saying that there will only be 9 teams in the league, although the relegation rules still look the same this year so not sure whether it's actually happening or if it's just something weird because of the database. I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    European Journeyman Game - 2023/24 - New Job Time

After leaving Latvia we holidayed for a couple of months while being turned down for numerous jobs. Derry City (which would have been amazing) did give me an interview but in the end they decided to go with their assistant manager. With pickings slim I decided to take the first vaguely decent opportunity that arose and that turned out to be in Slovakia, the Slovakian 2nd division to be precise, with Humenne.

This is the state of play on arrival, so it's obvious what attracted me to the role. Our contract is only until the end of the season, so 13 games left, but it may have been a mistake as our rep dropped backed to one star when we joined and I then realised that we're semi-pro and are sandwiched in between two professional outfits, with only the winner of the league guaranteed to go up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was a disaster. Three games played and three hammerings against professional clubs and on further inspection everyone in this league is a professional outfit apart from me. No idea how they were second when I took over.

The final straw came when they refused to pay for my next coaching badge, so I've resigned.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit