0 Thread(s)
    "If you stay indoors, the virus wins"

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I nominate Bam (first nomination).

I like the causing commotion and seeing how the dust settles act as much as the next man but this is suspicious.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Federation.

They are expected to discuss a mooted "trans-tasman bubble" that would allow Kiwis and Australians to freely travel between countries.
    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/pol...04-p54pkt.html

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    You are some sort of cunt, different league sort of stuff this. Go back to your bed wetting. wanker.
    You can't have it both ways Bam.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bam is amazing. Every time you think he has to have said the most stupid thing he'll ever say, he does something like announce someone will be safe from a deadly virus because they used to be in the army.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page 153 made my porridge so much more enjoyable.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    It'll only work for the people who download it and register to it. More knowing what you're doing stuff.
    I don' think it's going to be like that at all, ours isn't anyway. I'll just know people you're in close proximity to but it won't even know the location.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I woke up to this.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    How many masks have you gone through Yevrah?
    I couldn't keep up to masks and they're a cunt to get so I made myself 4 washable ones instead.

Gloves on the other hand are very low at the moment.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Still married?

I only ask because this reads a bit 'went through a bitter divorce':
    Haha no, still married.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Haha no, still married.
    Absence of 'happily', noted.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bam View Post
    bye, unlike you i have work tomorrow.

Carry on with your 2.5k a month.
    what a fucking hero you are mate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth from an outsiders perspective, the opinions that I've read from here generally lean towards the thinking that both the US and UK have mishandled this thing. There is a large UK expat population here, most of whom have been worried about their families on that side of the world.

I can only speak to my experience, but we closed the borders 19th March, and have been in lock down since 23rd March. Presumably made those decisions based on all the same information that the rest of the world had. Today was the first day we had zero new reported cases. So it has taken 43 days of lock-down and 47 days of border closure for us to (hopefully) stomp this thing out. A decision hasn't been announced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to a "new-normal" next week.

The idea is that we stomp the virus out in full before we get to normal life, so we can avoid any potential second wave. This will mean the borders will remain shut, other than a potential "tran-Tasman" bubble with Australia, pending both countries successfully beating the virus.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is getting rid of it in full an actual realistic target though? Sounds unlikely unless people are willing to live in full lockdown for the best part of 18 months. In conclusion, given NHS capacity wasn't breached, UK are fine in their approach and outcomes.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    For what it's worth from an outsiders perspective, the opinions that I've read from here generally lean towards the thinking that both the US and UK have mishandled this thing. There is a large UK expat population here, most of whom have been worried about their families on that side of the world.

I can only speak to my experience, but we closed the borders 19th March, and have been in lock down since 23rd March. Presumably made those decisions based on all the same information that the rest of the world had. Today was the first day we had zero new reported cases. So it has taken 43 days of lock-down and 47 days of border closure for us to (hopefully) stomp this thing out. A decision hasn't been announced yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to a "new-normal" next week.

The idea is that we stomp the virus out in full before we get to normal life, so we can avoid any potential second wave. This will mean the borders will remain shut, other than a potential "tran-Tasman" bubble with Australia, pending both countries successfully beating the virus.
    We also locked down on 23 March, so we can conclude two things:

a) we had it earlier and in larger quantities than NZ;
    b) it spreads a hell of a lot easier with 65 million people on an island than with 5 million people on two islands.

That said, I'm not convinced you can actually stamp this out unless you want to adopt something akin to the isolationist policies of early Imperial Japan, or become a larger version of North Sentinel Island.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparisons with us and New Zealand aren't fair, for the reasons Jim's mentioned.

In theory we could have eradicated it had we locked down earlier and actually closed borders, but whether that would actually ever work in practice, I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is still giving Ms Ardern the swollen dick treatment nonetheless. I can't think of an easier world leader job than being PM of New Zealand. Maybe PM of Norway marginally easier as they also have oil bounty as well as everything else.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virus arguments

I still reckon it's herd immunity with a wig on and they'll blame the public for causing it to spiral when the dust settles.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Everyone is still giving Ms Ardern the swollen dick treatment nonetheless. I can't think of an easier world leader job than being PM of New Zealand. Maybe PM of Norway marginally easier as they also have oil bounty as well as everything else.
    I think most people would struggle to find criticisms to the governments policies around the virus to date. The current opposition leader is currently giving it a good go by opposing everything the governments doing. He's not winning many friends at the moment. At this rate the current government is going to stroll to victory in the upcoming September elections. With how popular she is at the moment, the only serious concern is if Ardern eventually gets tired of the job and chucks it all in.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are growing thoughts that the update on Thursday/Sunday could see schools return in some capacity at the start of June. The reaction will be mixed, to say the least.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broad question but what would people recommend as the best books to read on [mostly UK] politics? Apart from Lewis' book, of course.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll arrange a weekly round of applause for you all.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had ours, mate. Where were you?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social distancing is done then, I guess? Cos it’s nigh on impossible to stay 2m apart in schools, even if they just let one year-group back.

And there’s zero point in half-arsing it; you either do it all the time or not bother.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will all give up on social distancing after a while, because it's just not viable for the continuation of human society.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Social distancing is done then, I guess? Cos it’s nigh on impossible to stay 2m apart in schools, even if they just let one year-group back.

And there’s zero point in half-arsing it; you either do it all the time or not bother.
    Plenty of schools already have the equivalent of one or two classes in school. Social distancing is at a premium; you can get the kids to sit down and line up far enough apart, but apart from that...

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will all give up on social distancing after a while, because it's just not viable for the continuation of human society.
    Bar Asia.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than 100 in ICU in Scotland and 4 (?) deaths in the last 24 hours reported. Scottish schools won’t open from June either.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nor will ours, it's just kite-flying, which is the only way government policy is being conducted at the moment.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nor will ours, it's just kite-flying, which is the only way government policy is being conducted at the moment.
    You can add that to the list of things handled poorly too.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a few nurses who are saying their work load has never been easier. Everybody not bothering going to hospital through fear I guess.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big announcement tonight lads.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Big announcement tonight lads.
    Is there?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there?
    He's set a date for Peg-athon 2020.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that had already happened.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is a draft report that's been leaked being commented upon as if it were a final copy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52533375

What in the fuck are the BBC doing?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some sympathy for the TUC (unusually) but I am also growing tired of people talking about 'the economy' as if it's some cabal of distant industrialists wanking each other off in a penthouse jaccuzzi, and can be put off until the virus is dead and buried. Without 'the economy', children will starve to death, theirs first.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Plenty of schools already have the equivalent of one or two classes in school. Social distancing is at a premium; you can get the kids to sit down and line up far enough apart, but apart from that...
    Word in work last week was it would be Y6 back in for us. Then the rest would be as it is now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our office is ideal for distancing, but we're still getting a few people refusing to come back 'until it's completely safe'. I think that could become an issue, and it's hard to see a way round it other than letting you sack them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also locked down on 23 March, so we can conclude two things:

a) we had it earlier and in larger quantities than NZ;
    b) it spreads a hell of a lot easier with 65 million people on an island than with 5 million people on two islands.

That said, I'm not convinced you can actually stamp this out unless you want to adopt something akin to the isolationist policies of early Imperial Japan, or become a larger version of North Sentinel Island.
    The thing people keep overlooking for this is the amount of potential infection starting vectors - simply, that Chinese people (pre-testing, and asymptomatic carriers of the virus) go to France/Spain/Italy/UK/US loads more than other places, hence why those places got mauled more. Far fewer go on holiday to Germany, so the initial infection starting point is lower.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when farmers were banging on the other week about needing to import workers from eastern Europe to pick fruit and veg or we'd end up with fields of it rotting?

Can't we send all the teens who aren't at school off to do it?

I wouldn't have minded that at that age. Would've been better than shitty customer service jobs and having to deal with the public.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sending off a bunch of teenagers to some fruit-picking gulag? Can't believe GS has hacked your account.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're off anyway, plenty of them would probably like a summer job for money, they're at lesser risk and social distancing can probably be observed fine in a field and we don't have to bring people into the country to possibly spread the virus more.

I don't see any downsides.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How young are you talking Boyd? My nephew and niece are 10 and 8 respectively and have a fair bit of free time on their hands.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that young, that's a bit harsh.

Like 14 and up. 14 and 15 year olds could do two or three days a week and 16+ could do a full week if they wanted.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Our office is ideal for distancing, but we're still getting a few people refusing to come back 'until it's completely safe'. I think that could become an issue, and it's hard to see a way round it other than letting you sack them.
    Can see that being a problem in the public sector where everyone ninnies about to begin with and it's impossible to sack anyone, but in the private sector no one will do that if they're thinking straight, better to have a job than not.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be the furlough dickheads who are being paid to do fuck all who complain the loudest.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure child slave labour is the answer. There's enough adults that have done fuck all but sit at home on benefits foremost of their lives. They can earn their keep.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fruit picking, I've heard, is a young persons game and brutally challenging.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when farmers were banging on the other week about needing to import workers from eastern Europe to pick fruit and veg or we'd end up with fields of it rotting?

Can't we send all the teens who aren't at school off to do it?

I wouldn't have minded that at that age. Would've been better than shitty customer service jobs and having to deal with the public.
    Quebec is offering $100 a week bonus for any new farm workers signing up for the summer. I'd be all over that if I qualified. I think here in Utah it's still Jose or bust.