User Tag List

Page 299 of 370 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,950 of 18473

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still owe another £760m for that too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They went heavy into Mellin's get rich quick scheme.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone is going to have to explain to me how a fucking local authority runs up a £1.8bn+ bill on equal pay claims. I mean, what in the actual fuck? If you take the Coutts rule of £3m in the bank to live an amazing life and never have to work again that equates to six-hundred of those people. Er wut?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a few thousand quid (at least) to every woman that has worked for/under the council since whenever it would easily add up. I can't imagine the council is particularly wealthy anyway with half the city in social housing.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6th council to go bankrupt? Get me the demographics of them and how they line up in the general distribution pls.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If it's a few thousand quid (at least) to every woman that has worked for/under the council since whenever it would easily add up. I can't imagine the council is particularly wealthy anyway with half the city in social housing.
    What did they actually do that warranted everyone being paid out?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    6th council to go bankrupt? Get me the demographics of them and how they line up in the general distribution pls.
    I think if you consider how many shit people there are these days in frontline politics and then consider that these people in local councils are too shit to even get close to that then you have your answer of what's driving this.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were over 5,000 claimants on the case I believe.

Seems like a move to get out of the remaining balance to me. I wonder if they find people suddenly wont pay them council tax.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northumberland apparently went under because their CEO kept giving herself £230k a year.

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    I think if you consider how many shit people there are these days in frontline politics and then consider that these people in local councils are too shit to even get close to that then you have your answer of what's driving this.
    I'd like to think it's just the tip of the iceberg of the anarchy we (Spikey and I)'ve been thirsting for for years. There's surely too much in the way of controls to Nigeria this up, this is the govt's doing.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'd like to think it's just the tip of the iceberg of the anarchy we (Spikey and I)'ve been thirsting for for years. There's surely too much in the way of controls to Nigeria this up, this is the govt's doing.
    Well, with LTN's coming to a city near you (if they haven't already) the tinderbox is warming up nicely.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bit of itk on Birmingham council, and the answer to why they have gone bankrupt is that the Pakistani community there simply do not pay any tax.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So (assuming what you're saying is true) are we doing that thing we did with the vaccine uptake again and simply not addressing the issue properly because it would involve singling a community out?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much. I'm not sure about residential council tax, but if you go to a street in Sparkbrook or any of the heavily Pakistani areas, you can be looking at shops and businesses as far as the eye can see and not a single one of them will have paid any rates ever. They also won't have paid VAT, although that deprives the exchequer rather than the council.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were referring to cash in hand - how on earth is anyone getting away not paying rates?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were referring to cash in hand - how on earth is anyone getting away not paying rates?
    I don't know how they do it, but it appears to be fantastically easy to run a bent business if you don't fear the possible consequences of being caught. I imagine it's often as simple as winding a business up (with all of it's debt) and having your brother start a new one with the assets / cash you managed to strip from it. Rinse and repeat until Lambo.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did they actually do that warranted everyone being paid out?
    They got paid way less for doing the same grade of work. Dinner ladies were paid like half of what binmen got and they were apparently at the same level of pay [and obviously the gender breakdowns on those two were pretty extreme] as an anecdotal example.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise I’m a month late but it seems like the paracetamol challenge has made its way up north.

young people aged 15-17 decided to challenge each other to take a paracetamol overdose to see who could get hospitalised and who could get hospitalised the longest, with the person remaining in hospital for the most hours being the person who won the challenge.
    Reason number whatever that TikTok is dreadful and/or people are idiots.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a similar thing where we scratched a mark on the back of our hands using a combination of the thumb and index finger fingernails. Wild.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    They got paid way less for doing the same grade of work. Dinner ladies were paid like half of what binmen got and they were apparently at the same level of pay [and obviously the gender breakdowns on those two were pretty extreme] as an anecdotal example.
    See that's just rank incompetence. Being a binman is a horrible job and should be paid more than a dinner lady, which I guess was the thinking, but if you have documentation that shows they're on the same grade but paid differently then

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife used to work for Asda and they've had this shit recently. Apparently the geezers in their massive storage warehouses are paid more to move shit around than the birds sat on the tills in store are. To which my wife responded "no shit. It's a harder job.". Which... it just is and you'd have to be thick to not see it.

Running around the street grabbing bin bags ≠ spooning chips and beans onto a spotty kids plate. Now, if there's inequality in how they're picking those men/women for the positions, then fair enough, but we'd need to see the application data to know that.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 06-09-2023 at 06:21 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there was also an element of bin men (and some other roles) were allowed to go home once they had done their bin collecting, where as others were working set hours, which meant that the bin men were effectively on more per hour because they got paid for the full allotted time. And?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    My wife used to work for Asda and they've had this shit recently. Apparently the geezers in their massive storage warehouses are paid more to move shit around than the birds sat on the tills in store are. To which my wife responded "no shit. It's a harder job.". Which... it just is and you'd have to be thick to not see it.
    I dunno, if you gave me the option of working in a warehouse versus dealing with the general public, the warehouse would win every time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I dunno, if you gave me the option of working in a warehouse versus dealing with the general public, the warehouse would win every time.
    I agree. See last winters mental breakdown in the Job Thread for more info.

But there's a clear difference in effort required between the 2. Beeping a 4 pack of beans is just alot easier than shifting 200 4 packs around a warehouse and I don't see why the wage shouldn't reflect that.

If women want that wage, then apply for the job. As long as they're given a fair chance of getting the job then happy days. If they aren't, then yeah, drag those fuckers to court.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't wages mainly a reflection of how hard it is to recruit for the role? So basically any physical job which can't be done by most women (sorry, feminists) is going to be paid more than jobs which anyone can do.

The same reason why brain surgeons get paid more than me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Aren't wages mainly a reflection of how hard it is to recruit for the role? So basically any physical job which can't be done by most women (sorry, feminists) is going to be paid more than jobs which anyone can do.

In theory, yes. But Carers are criminally underpaid and overwhelmingly women. What they do is far harder than what either of us do and the constant vacancies tell me they are having no easy time recruiting. Yet the wage remains minimal.

I'm be pointing sexism claims at that rather than Binmen and dinner ladies.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thinking that has 5ft tall female police officers patrolling on their own. I know it is an old joke about police officers getting younger but I saw one the other day who really did look more like she was dressed up for world book day or whatever. Wouldn't fancy her chances responding to anything more serious than an egged window.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory, yes. But Carers are criminally underpaid and overwhelmingly women. What they do is far harder than what either of us do and the constant vacancies tell me they are having no easy time recruiting. Yet the wage remains minimal.

The market should adjust as described given that men / most people don't want to shovel shit out of old people's arses all day. If they aren't upping pay to reflect an inability to recruit then that's a failure.

Believe in the market and it will believe in you.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine did some temping recently and did a bit of work for a care company and the whole thing sounded like a shambles and very depressing.

She was told she'd be shadowing for the first month or something but was being sent to do stuff herself by week 2, the person who she'd been meant to be shadowing was herself quite new and already leaving which turned out to be reflective of massive turnover of staff and as discussed, not even good money for doing it.

That wasn't in home medical care or anything obviously so this is a little different again but still, people aren't gonna stick with shit disorganisation for garbage hours so the old people in question are probably getting new faces every week other than the ones who have more specific needs who were seemingly being catered to by a hardcore of people who were actually sticking with it and presumably on slightly better money.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The market:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Belive in the market

What a load of old shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    A friend of mine did some temping recently and did a bit of work for a care company and the whole thing sounded like a shambles and very depressing.

She was told she'd be shadowing for the first month or something but was being sent to do stuff herself by week 2, the person who she'd been meant to be shadowing was herself quite new and already leaving which turned out to be reflective of massive turnover of staff and as discussed, not even good money for doing it.

That wasn't in home medical care or anything obviously so this is a little different again but still, people aren't gonna stick with shit disorganisation for garbage hours so the old people in question are probably getting new faces every week other than the ones who have more specific needs who were seemingly being catered to by a hardcore of people who were actually sticking with it and presumably on slightly better money.
    It's exactly the same down here. Loads of our tenants work in Care at somepoint and few of them survive long. Going from what I've heard though, anyone that doesn't have kids to care for them in old age should be planning an early death, because living in a care home sounds worse than being in prison.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chinese every night it is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll have to put you in the hospital basement ward.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They probably don't in most cases.

This isn't a flippant comment about shit doctor wages either, it's actually true.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 06-09-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as care work must be depressing and/or gross, it can't actually be 'hard' other than in a physical sense. Would you rather wipe arses or work in an abattoir?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work in an abbatoir.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure there's much to choose between old man shit and cow brains (and shit), so fuck doing either, frankly.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cow brains and shit is a delicacy for Taz.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    As much as care work must be depressing and/or gross, it can't actually be 'hard' other than in a physical sense. Would you rather wipe arses or work in an abattoir?
    In what sense is working in an abattoir "hard", other than a physical one?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    In what sense is working in an abattoir "hard", other than a physical one?
    I would find killing cows pretty hard to be fair. I've also seen some grim footage of how they sort girl chick's and boy chick's and where the boy chick's... erm... go.

It would definitely be a hard place to work, but I guess half the battle here is defining what "hard" means. But then, is difficulty what defines a wage? It kind of is, but I think it also has to provide economic value if you want it to amount to anything.

Being an engineer is hard and it pays well because the economy relies on machinery working properly.

Being a carer is also hard, but unfortunately nobody gives a fuck if the vulnerable are being cared for properly because there's no benefit to anyone's balancesheet.

Pretty depressing stuff, really.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an abattoir you can get kicked in the face by a violent dying cow, although in fairness the carers to my great aunt Elsie also suffered this indignity.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would find killing cows pretty hard to be fair. I've also seen some grim footage of how they sort girl chick's and boy chick's and where the boy chick's... erm... go.

It would definitely be a hard place to work, but I guess half the battle here is defining what "hard" means. But then, is difficulty what defines a wage? It kind of is, but I think it also has to provide economic value if you want it to amount to anything.

Being an engineer is hard and it pays well because the economy relies on machinery working properly.

Being a carer is also hard, but unfortunately nobody gives a fuck if the vulnerable are being cared for properly because there's no benefit to anyone's balancesheet.

Pretty depressing stuff, really.
    Yeah I agree, but he'd already excluded depressingness and disgustingness from his definition of hard in the first half of the post.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't all doom and gloom in the slaughterhouse, apparently you can blow a lung up like a balloon for a jolly jape.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy that has to go around and execute male calves [is that a knacker?] probably has a worse gig in sadness terms than the slaughterman

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welsh farmer is worse surely.

Legally obligated to fuck your sheep.

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66733230

Before I ever opened this (the BBC headline on the main site is "US man stopped in 'hamster wheel' ocean crossing") I knew he'd be from Florida.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let him try. Fucking kill joys.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine getting almost all the way across before being sunk by one of Rishi/Suella's gunboats.

Or worse, ending up on that barge thing.