User Tag List

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steady on. I like Bossanova quite a bit but Doolittle's a work of art.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently rediscovered Surfer Rosa and I'd say that's their best, only just beating out Doolittle. There's this manic intensity and punk(-ish) energy to songs like Something Against You, River Euphrates or Oh my Golly! that I really love. Not a bad album among their first four, though.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Slipknot album lesssgooooo

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty blah isn't it? The other single doesn't do much for me either

I did say the same about the last album though and there's still bits of that I go back to.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blah like everything they did after the first album

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite liked the last album, and this sort of feels like a similar kind of thing. AM is one of my all time faves though.

It's sort of annoying that they're trying to be a 60's LA lounge bar band instead of just writing the songs I want them too, in a kind of Radiohead way where they disappeared into tedious dance wibbling rather than just writing The Bends Pt. II

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that. Tranquility Base is my favourite Monkey's album to date though, so I'm all for them continuing with some variation on that direction.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like the last two albums are just what Alex Turner wants to do so they're only Arctic Monkeys in name for the publicity boost.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're all honest with ourselves it's total bollocks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Will Sheff / Okkervil River out today. Very promising on first listen. Here are the highlights for me:

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Powfu covering Taylor Swift is something I didn't know I needed to hear so much. What a lad.

Also I hadn't seen CJ's post but I've listened to Black Sheep Boy about four times this week. Weird.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s an all-time great album. Didn’t have you as someone who would listen to Okkervil River though. Not sure why.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low's Mimi Parker is dead.

As good a time as any to dive deeper into their catalog, I only know the debut/Things We Lost in the Fire/Hey What.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I feel like the last two albums are just what Alex Turner wants to do so they're only Arctic Monkeys in name for the publicity boost.
    I stand by this but the new album is actually pretty tremendous. If you can separate it from the perception of what you think the Arctic Monkeys are, or should be, and just appreciate the music, it's excellent. Really polished music all round, which I suppose was the problem with the previous album in that they wanted to go this new direction but didn't have it all nailed down.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serj View Post
    Low's Mimi Parker is dead.

As good a time as any to dive deeper into their catalog, I only know the debut/Things We Lost in the Fire/Hey What.
    Very sad. I was going to see them in the summer but they had to withdraw because of her treatment, they put quite a positive spin on it at the time (I mean I guess you always would though, wouldn't you) so I was hoping she would recover.

I can't claim to be the most knowledgable about them. I think I own maybe two or three on record and have sort of dabbled in the discography overall which, as you point out, is very deep. Seemed to be one of those bands that effortlessly managed to maintain relevance and quality over a very long career.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I stand by this but the new album is actually pretty tremendous. If you can separate it from the perception of what you think the Arctic Monkeys are, or should be, and just appreciate the music, it's excellent. Really polished music all round, which I suppose was the problem with the previous album in that they wanted to go this new direction but didn't have it all nailed down.
    I think you've summed it up well here. I really love their recent work but I do agree it's sort of about putting their work as a band prior to it almost behind you, and just appreciating Turner's surprising u-turn into one of the preeminent crooners of his generation.

The only thing I disagree on is I think it arrived fully-formed and brilliant on the last album. The two records together make a great pair. And, to be fair to him, I do think he has let the band "back in" a bit more on this one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Very sad. I was going to see them in the summer but they had to withdraw because of her treatment, they put quite a positive spin on it at the time (I mean I guess you always would though, wouldn't you) so I was hoping she would recover.

I can't claim to be the most knowledgable about them. I think I own maybe two or three on record and have sort of dabbled in the discography overall which, as you point out, is very deep. Seemed to be one of those bands that effortlessly managed to maintain relevance and quality over a very long career.
    Their new stuff is Quite Excellent. Put this in your ears when you're out for a walk.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having to nominate my three fave tracks of 2022 for our yearly thing we do, where we all rate them and discuss em in a big boozy evening.

I'm struggling this year lads. Currently going with the new April base version of 4th of July by sufjan which feels a bit borderline in acceptability, after the earthquake by alvvays and then I've loads of maybes. Pencilled in currently is fucking action bronson. Any great songs of the year I should check out bois?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you rate Blue Rev? Very much on my to do list.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been an incredibly mid year overall. Couple of 7-8/10 records like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rosalia, Pusha T, Vince Staples, Big Thief (probably the best of the lot).

Little Simz drop this week is a sneaky late contender, with some of my favourite tracks of the year:

This is the best one on the Big Thief record, but I think it technically dropped in 2021:

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They played Little Things when I saw them live, and at the end of the song she said it was shit and they never get it right on stage. Had to disagree with her on that. It's a super track, simultaneously energetic and chilled.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I noticed before seeing them at Prima that they very rarely played it live.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw them Friday last week, and I've just checked the setlist for Friday vs Saturday, and feel a bit gutted to see I missed out on Paul and Mary which they played Saturday but not Friday. They didn't play Little Things on either night.

Either way, I only know them from a post in this thread somewhere 3 or 4 years ago, so thanks whoever that was.
    In fact, I had held onto those gig tickets for about 3 years (2x COVID cancellations). Great to have live music back.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Having to nominate my three fave tracks of 2022 for our yearly thing we do, where we all rate them and discuss em in a big boozy evening.

I'm struggling this year lads. Currently going with the new April base version of 4th of July by sufjan which feels a bit borderline in acceptability, after the earthquake by alvvays and then I've loads of maybes. Pencilled in currently is fucking action bronson. Any great songs of the year I should check out bois?
    Did you listen to Arcade Fire’s album? Bit meh overall, but The Lightning (I & II really should be taken as one track) and Unconditional (Lookout Kid) are brilliant.

Will always plug Okkervil River of course. The Spiral Season is a great track.

I was really into Do It For Your Country by Belle & Sebastian earlier in the year.

Dried Roses, Change and Spud Infinity were my favourite Big Thief tracks.

Hot Chip - Broken is my left field choice. Or maybe that’s not really left field.

Phoebe Bridgers just released a new song called So Much Wine. It’s lovely.

Some of that is a bit barrel-scrapey so yeah poor year. Sorry for that lack of links.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punk not usually my bag but I think this is my SOTY/AOTY.
    Last edited by -james-; 18-12-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Song of the year is Numb Little Bug.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm a bit late at the advanced age of 35 but after mostly (for no real reason) ignoring them for my entire life I've got really into Pink Floyd recent. I mean really, too. I'm not listening to a lot else. I've just been collecting the catalogue in chronological order over the last month or so.

I'm up to Animals, which I stuck on the turntable early this afternoon and have just been flipping over and back since. I think I've listened to it six times in a row. Not a particularly festive listen I guess, but there you go. What a record.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I only had a few gaps in their discography but I've missed a ton of their stuff. I forget how much faffing about they did during the psychedelia age. And the hanging around they did long after their peak.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw someone compared Harry Styles to Pink Floyd on Twitter.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn’t get any better than Animals.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish You Were Here (the album) just, but only just, pips Animals for me. Neck and neck for best Floyd album.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be the boring bastard that says Dark Side of the Moon, although that and Wish You Were Here go hand in hand.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Doesn’t get any better than Animals.
    I'm definitely leaning towards this. It's just got a great "mood" to it the whole way through. They obviously like extended ideas/motifs and albums that work as an entire piece and it just seems to be the pinnacle of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    Wish You Were Here (the album) just, but only just, pips Animals for me. Neck and neck for best Floyd album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I'll be the boring bastard that says Dark Side of the Moon, although that and Wish You Were Here go hand in hand.
    The step up when they arrived at Dark Side is remarkable. I mean there was good stuff before, don't get me wrong. Meddle in particular. But Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals is just an astoundingly good three album run to put out. Relatively far into your career too, to just arrive at this new, fully formed sound and start churning out work at that level is pretty remarkable. It's hard to split them.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone like Oliver Tree?

Certainly seems like a future wrongun (I saw something today saying he was born the day after GG Allin died, if you’re into that sort of nonsense) but his music kept me entertained in the car today.
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good song, nice house, good video, terrible miscarriage of justice.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Baz - assume you know all about this, but it was news to me and worth a read if you're an Elliot Smith fan

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Obviously I’m very biased but his high school bands’ discography is better than most professional musicians.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just randomly remembered the Chris Morris song parodies, they're great fun. I like how they don't follow the weird Al model of reworking a song with different lyrics, but instead are pretty convincing pastiche/mish mash. the effort into getting the sound right is well impressive considering they're just throw away things made for some radio show.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly not legit but fair play to someone trying to piece a full track together. (It's Fur Q. Thanks, youtube)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to kill people to have respect for people

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it acceptable to go to gigs on your own?

Specifically, Powfu in Manchester in October, where I’d likely be the oldest person in the room by at least ten years.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally unacceptable imo and I'm surprised there hasn't been legislation brought in yet to prevent it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jai Paul set was amazing. I can't believe he actually came through.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sick rendition of Scientist here @ 51ish mins. Seething to have missed out on tickets for the Glasgow date next week (again).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been out for a few days now, but the new Sleep Token album really is very good.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I know I'm a bit late at the advanced age of 35 but after mostly (for no real reason) ignoring them for my entire life I've got really into Pink Floyd recent. I mean really, too. I'm not listening to a lot else. I've just been collecting the catalogue in chronological order over the last month or so.

I'm up to Animals, which I stuck on the turntable early this afternoon and have just been flipping over and back since. I think I've listened to it six times in a row. Not a particularly festive listen I guess, but there you go. What a record.
    I know it's a bit of a delayed reply, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up doing this. I've not been actively avoiding them, but I think part of me knows when I properly delve I'll be obsessed for a few months, so I've sort of been putting it off. I really got into Porcupine Tree and selected in absentia at album club, and one of my mates was like "it's just Pink Floyd but not as good", which sort of stung but I'm pretty sure I'll end up agreeing.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would've probably never got into Pink Floyd if it wasn't for the old board.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I would've probably never got into Pink Floyd if it wasn't for the old board.
    I think the reason I haven't so far is partly just timing. Plenty of stuff my dad made me listen to when he was pissed and I was a lad I bloody loved, like What's Going On, and the Waterboys, and even fucking Big Audio Dynamite, but I think he made me listen to Wish You Were Here when I was just a bit too young to get it. Turn this boring old bastard music off Mick, I want to listen to a proper band like Dirty Pretty Things. Oops. Oh well.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can appreciate Floyd but I've never really loved it. Little bit on the nose. I also have a real blind spot for rock guitar solos, especially the massive churning ones beloved of Gilmour. I just put Animals on after the post above, 2.5 minutes in here comes Dave again and we're done.