User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boy is a 106kg lump who is seeking some weight loss results from me. I was thinking of giving him a 24 hour water fast before we begin the process of cleaning his innards out but I wondered if it was too ambitious, good to hear it's doable.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fasting with caffeine is simple. Fasting without is hell.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave it a go once and I found it surprisingly easy. The only tricky time was lunchtime in the office. Generally speaking though, a pint of water is usually enough to take the edge off any hunger pangs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 mile road completed in 3 hours 25 mins.

Managed to keep up a steady 12 min/mile till around 10 miles then the legs had other ideas slowed down to 16 min/miles and my lower half was having none of it by mile 12 and basically had to shuffle my way along ignoring the funny looks of people driving by.

I could hold a conversation with someone at mile 14 without a problem or feeling short of breath so if it was upto my lungs I could have carried on quite easily just my lower half needs to get it’s act together.

I’m quite lucky to live near a lot of farm land, fields and a sea front so my running route is quite scenic which helps.

So that’s week 4 of 15 out of the way onwards and upwards!!

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Actually one downside to it by the second evening my breath took a turn for the worse seemed to be have a slight smell to it not sure what that was about
    Ketosis.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just signed upto the Chepstow racecourse half marathon for Sunday.

I did the Chepstow racecourse 10k back around the 27th Nov and I can remember thinking as I crossed the finishing line I’ll never have managed another lap never mind two, so be good to see the progress on the same course over 3 months.

I think I weighed around 278lbs then I’m sitting at 263lbs now so a stone lighter.

I haven’t taken any pictures of myself during the last few months so even though I can feel my clothes getting to big for me and the lbs coming off on the scale, there’s pictures taken at the race so be a bit of fun comparing the 2 sets taken.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that race have jumps in it?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, when people have to jump over my crumpled collapsed body at some point through the run.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, when people have to jump over my crumpled collapsed body at some point through the run.

Nah, I'm sure you'll be grand. You're doing well, keep at it! It's seriously impressive progress.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finished my first ever half marathon event
    Came in a respectable last place, I had two aims to this

1. Don’t stop at all no rest breaks no walking just keep plodding along.

2. Finish it in under 3 hours

Managed both finished at 2hours 41 mins and didn’t stop so I’m really over the moon with this.

Came across a picture of me back in September and just losing 3 stone has made such a massive difference in my appearance.

Next few months I’d like to lose another few stone and get to 16 hopefully before April when I attempted the Newport Marathon.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinky.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just completed a 15 mile run, managed to keep under 11.30min a mile until the last two when my legs went awol and could only muster 15mins a mile.

Got to keep looking at how far I’ve come I guess because the thought of running another 11 miles on top of todays run seems impossible just now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The legs deserting you is a genuinely distressing feeling when it happens! It's just because it's uncharted territory. You can never be quite sure what will happen when you start pushing the distance past a certain point.

I appreciate where you're coming from in terms of "11 more miles seems impossible". Remember there was a time when you first started where probably after a couple of minutes another few hundred meters seemed impossible though! It's all relative and you will crack it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May aswell post an update before I actually run the marathon (April 16th)

I’ve joined a running club and gone running with a few others twice a week usually hill runs and sprints etc on top of my training runs and it’s helped massively.

I’ve run a mile at 9 mins 20 seconds and at the same time finished a 5k at 30 mins 45 seconds my first 5k was over an hour (my first ever attempt at a mile run took me over 17 mins)

My weight is now 17 stone 10lbs from 22 stone 5
    I’ve just run a half marathon in 2 hours 26 my best official time at least

Completed a 18 mile run yesterday in under 4 hours and managed to keep the miles per minute between 12 to 14 min felt like I could have gone on and pushed myself to 20 miles plus easy so the daunting feeling of actually running the Newport Marathon on the day is slowly being replaced with excitement now.

I’ve started weight lifting (squats, deadlifts compound exercises mainly)

According to my Apple Watch stats I’ve run since September

Fastest 5k 30 mins
    Fastest 10k 1 hour 10 mins
    Fastest half marathon 2 hours 26

Run a total

36 5k runs
    20 10k runs
    10 half marathons (13 miles)
    Longest run 18 miles

Not sure how you post pictures on here but the photos of me before I started this compared to now are stark in comparison.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good shit Andrew.

The esiest way to upload is just to upload the pictures to imgbb or another image hosting website.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any advice re running shoes? I've always just used old trainers, but I'm going to do a 48.1 mile round-the-island walk in June and plan on running a good amount too so I'll need something that can take a good battering.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Toon View Post
    Any advice re running shoes? I've always just used old trainers, but I'm going to do a 48.1 mile round-the-island walk in June and plan on running a good amount too so I'll need something that can take a good battering.
    https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/...0366_color=458

These are shoes I use to run around 140km per month. I've had the 21s and the 22s and have found them to be excellent.

Is it bumpy rocky trail or smooth road / footpath? You might be better with something more geared towards trail running if it's the former.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a mix but with lot of rocky trails. The entire north coast is cliff path, and that's where I do most of my training, so it probably makes sense to get something more suited to that but I'd be tempted to get two pairs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went round the island here I did it in an old pair of Adidas ZX 5000 RSPNs which had a sort of integrated lining/sock thing, which was great for keeping little stones out which you pick up on the cliffs in particular. Probably the best pair of trainers I've ever had. Would go to lengths to get a pair now but they don't really seem to exist. I'd say make sure whatever you wear is well worn, comfortable and lightweight. You'll be fucked after doing 48 miles in one go, 38 was bad enough.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a go at doing the route a few weeks ago and walked 28 miles in 10 hours, but that was on an empty stomach and with zero training at all, let alone on the cliff paths which absolutely wrecked me and I ended up getting a lift from Plemont because I was done in. The cliff paths are usually too muddy to train over winter but given how mild its been they've been fine since so I've just been hammering them since. Last summer I did the entire north coast cliff path route and back (35 miles in 10 hours) which I reckon is harder than the island walk. I'll aim to do that again a couple weeks before the island walk and for the most part just get used to being on my feet all day. I struggle with jogging just because of the mundanity of it but I'm hoping on the day the competition gets a rise out of me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just walked it with zero training beyond my normal walking. I think I'm lucky that I've always had good feet so blisters etc weren't a worry. The way it works here is that you get the cliffs done first [about 12 miles I think] so that bit's actually quite easy, it's more the endless slog on the roads that follows that takes a toll, particularly when you go through 30 miles. My reasoning for no training [other than being lazy/complacent] was that, being as the hard bit is only ever going to be the end, there was no point in training to walk 10 miles, as that's a piece of piss, and there was equally no way I was going to do the whole thing as some sort of practice.

I know some people who run it, which seems completely mental to me, although getting it all done within a time frame of under 12 hours [for 39 miles] probably helps mitigate fatigue, even if you are having to go faster to do that.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could definitely be done with no training but I don't think it'd be enjoyable. Did you plan much in terms of food or did you just eat whatever they handed out? My plan is to run downhill and flats and I should have a good pace for whatever walking I do. Finishing is the main thing but I've got an eye on finishing in the top 10%.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife had all sorts of energy bomb type snacks and the like but I just ate what was on offer around the course, mostly bacon rolls, crisps and bananas. There's definitely a temptation to carry too much stuff. I was dead set on carrying nothing, which would probably have worked out well enough had it been 'permitted', although it did rain a bit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking like ten bananas and a couple sandwiches. I usually exercise fasted so its a bit alien to me but if I want a good time I'm assuming eating is recommended.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/...0366_color=458

These are shoes I use to run around 140km per month. I've had the 21s and the 22s and have found them to be excellent.
    My 50 quid pair of ASICS silos are about to fall apart so I think I’ll grab a pair of these the reviews look good.

Newport Marathon is this Sunday I think my trainers will last that so I’ll buy a pair after that.

I’ve picked up a weird injury in my hip that’s causing me to limp when walking and going up stairs but seems fine when I run.

Last 10 mile run completed now so take it easy this week got a social run on Wednesday which I might do but I think I’ll stick to swimming for this week and eat and rest till I attempt my first Marathon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it !! 26.2 miles in 5 hours 56 mins !!

The last mile was the hardest as I knew I was so close to finishing..

The feeling was amazing crossing that finish line seeing me wife and kids there to cheer me to the finish would have made a lesser man emotional!!

Never in a million years did I think back last September I’d be able to run 1 mile never mind 26 of them!

First mile run without needing to stop and walk back in September took me 17 mins

Just run an average of 13.31 min miles for 26 without stopping or needing to walk

I only wanted to really complete this today wether I had to walk jog run shuffle etc but to finish it in under 6 hours and not having to stop has blown my mind.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing effort. Well done

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's class Andrew, well done. The effort that has gone in and the massive progress you've made over what is, really, a relatively short period of time is genuinely very impressive.

The back end is a real mental battle, isn't it? I found that far harder than any of the physical aspect of the training when I did one. Just constantly trying to stave off the voice in your head that says "let's just stop". I think its because after the twenty miles (or whatever you train up to) it's all just unknown territory at that point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defiantly mate the longest run I did in training was 18 miles so after that it was in unknown territory but the first 22 miles was easier than I thought considering it was mainly through country lanes with no crowds cheering you on got to 23 ish and my breathing was just as good as when I started but the legs I could feel were getting heavier.

Just at the right time though there was a bunch from the running club I’d joined that had been tracking me and had made their way down to where I was approaching and were shouting and cheering me on which is an amazing boost to how you feel.

Mile 25 to the end felt like it took longer than the entire race upto then and the desire to just stop and walk was ridiculously tempting but I could see I was on course to finish in under 6 hours and give it all I had seeing my wife and kids shouting on the sidelines was amazing.

I never thought I’d run a marathon but I’m looking on the next one now 😃

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defiantly mate the longest run I did in training was 18 miles so after that it was in unknown territory but the first 22 miles was easier than I thought considering it was mainly through country lanes with no crowds cheering you on got to 23 ish and my breathing was just as good as when I started but the legs I could feel were getting heavier.

Just at the right time though there was a bunch from the running club I’d joined that had been tracking me and had made their way down to where I was approaching and were shouting and cheering me on which is an amazing boost to how you feel.

Mile 25 to the end felt like it took longer than the entire race upto then and the desire to just stop and walk was ridiculously tempting but I could see I was on course to finish in under 6 hours and give it all I had seeing my wife and kids shouting on the sidelines was amazing.

I never thought I’d run a marathon but I’m looking on the next one now 😃
    Definitely nice to have that encouragement, it makes a lot of difference. So much of it is mental at that point I think, anything to focus your mind on is a help.

The only one I've ever done I felt like stopping and just sitting on the ground where I was with about three miles to go and in some massively lucky turn of events a lad I'd not seen for about five years just jogged up next to me and was like "alright mate, I thought that was you". We were never best friends or anything, we just used to play football together, but we stuck together until the finish and just having someone to talk to until the end sorted me right out. I haven't seen him since either, come to think of it. I can't be totally sure I didn't hallucinate him.

Do you have the next one booked in already? My second one is coming up in three and a half weeks, roughly five years after my first one. So don't leave it that long!

I got my twenty miler in earlier today, which was nice to get done. I just need to keep things ticking over for a few weeks now I guess.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WSM looks tasty going into the final 3 events. Shame you can’t watch it until Christmas.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Staunchman is usually a guarantee for the stones so he should be alright.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumbbells is one of his worst though. He did say he’s been improving on them so who knows.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s his technique that lacks in this event rather than outright overhead strength (he’s decent in log now). Some good pressers in this though so it could be lost here for him if he flakes out.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently he’s just put up 125kg so that probably puts him in pole position to win the whole thing now.

Imagine a 125kg single arm DB being your weakest event ffs.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't deadlifting his 'weakness'?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a toss up between the two. Although he managed 6 reps on deadlift yesterday which was good for him.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t believe some bald gimp with a moustache is going to win the whole thing. He looks like he should be in some Porno shoot

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you just please use spoilers for that shit, last couple have been ruined for me thanks to you gimps on here.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoilers for something getting shown in 8 months? Good ain

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Novikov is the one that baffles me. He just doesn't look like he should be there. He must be on some next generation gear.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The times on that bus pull are absolutely hilarious

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it a van?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew will be fuming with this.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't try too hard for the best newbie award, mate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Definitely nice to have that encouragement, it makes a lot of difference. So much of it is mental at that point I think, anything to focus your mind on is a help.

The only one I've ever done I felt like stopping and just sitting on the ground where I was with about three miles to go and in some massively lucky turn of events a lad I'd not seen for about five years just jogged up next to me and was like "alright mate, I thought that was you". We were never best friends or anything, we just used to play football together, but we stuck together until the finish and just having someone to talk to until the end sorted me right out. I haven't seen him since either, come to think of it. I can't be totally sure I didn't hallucinate him.

Do you have the next one booked in already? My second one is coming up in three and a half weeks, roughly five years after my first one. So don't leave it that long!

I got my twenty miler in earlier today, which was nice to get done. I just need to keep things ticking over for a few weeks now I guess.
    I’ve got a few booked in now only one marathon though and I think I’ve dropped a bollock on this one as I didn’t realise it’s the triathlon weekend down Tenby and the Sunday (marathon) is mainly triathletes taking part… it’s supposed to be one of the tougher marathons to run aswell elevation is over 2000ft compared to the Newport one I just did which was 75ft.

I’ve got a trail half marathon coming up which is over 2000ft elevation so that will be a good test as all I’ve really run on is pavements and treadmill.

13th May
    Radyr & Morganstown Trail Half Marathon

June 11th
    Swansea Half Marathon

July 2nd
    Tenby Marathon

July 22nd
    Chepstow Half Marathon

August 6th
    Barry 10k.

October 1st
    Cardiff Half Marathon

November 12th
    Cardiff Trail Half Marathon

Going to see how the rest of this year plays out then I might sign upto the Ogmore to Cardiff ultra which is about 35 miles long.