User Tag List

Page 155 of 257 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,750 of 12825

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is his name at least Mitchell? Or perhaps Glenn?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameron Green, which is good enough for me, combining as it does a very common Aussie cricketer first name with the colour of the team's famous hat. Sounds a bit regen-y, actually.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5-15 lol

Edit 6/19 ooofff

That fast bowling line up is pretty good.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 19-12-2020 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time in Test history where the first 6 batsman were dismissed for single figures.

Lol India

Edit: Shami retired hurt what a day

India'a lowest ever Test score.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 19-12-2020 at 05:38 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So by extension then must be the first time an everybody in the team has failed to hit double figures, then?

EDIT: Oh no, the Saffers managed it in England in the 20s. Was the stat you saw the first time in 21st century or something, Queenslander?
    Last edited by Ian; 19-12-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    So by extension then must be the first time an everybody in the team has failed to hit double figures, then?

EDIT: Oh no, the Saffers managed it in England in the 20s. Was the stat you saw the first time in 21st century or something, Queenslander?
    Just a tweet whoops

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean it's a pity India couldn't be the first ever but the first in nearly a century will have to do.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is still the funniest sporting moment of 2020.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    36 all out, as India, shouldn't be possible.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on the smug Black Caps

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was pretty funny, to be fair. Messed up my plan of watching cricket all afternoon the next day though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Should be a good Test match. That Aussie attack is going to flay us alive next year. I honestly can't see how we don't lose 5-0.
    The trick is that we knock you over for 200 then still spot you a 50-run lead.

Smith and Labaschagne are the only batsmen in the team currently who can get really big scores. Maybe Warner and Pucovski when they're back.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this still a talking point in the UK?

https://www.facebook.com/24674175548...7537741407652/

Both online and offline the wee Kiwis are still obsessed...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, it's moved on to Warner is a cunt and Steve Smith is a weirdo without reference to sandpaper except among unimaginative knobheads who don't watch cricket.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can describe Smith as "weak". The man is a cricketing machine.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England’s tour to India is set to be shown on Disney’s Hotstar streaming service in February and Amazon are contenders to show the next Ashes as cricket enters a new era of live broadcasting.

Either Sky Sports or BT Sport has broadcast every England series since 2005, but supporters now face the prospect of having to pay multiple subscriptions to watch the team play their biggest Test series of 2021.

Star Sports, part of the Disney empire, has exclusive rights to broadcast cricket within India and sells on its access to broadcasters in other territories, such as Sky or BT.

But the explosion in popularity of streaming services, such as its Disney+ channel, has led Disney to seriously consider retaining the rights, worth around £20 million, and screening matches in this country via one of its own digital platforms rather than selling them on to a traditional broadcaster.

The most likely platform to be used for the England tour to India would be Hotstar, which can be downloaded on to PCs, tablet and mobile via an app and costs £5.99 a month.

From Feb 23, Hotstar content will be available in Europe via the Disney+ platform, a streaming service like Amazon Prime and Netflix, but that will be halfway through the England series.

England will play four Tests in India, starting in Chennai on Feb 5, as well as five T20s and three ODIs.

The third Test in Ahmedabad will be a day-night match and the time difference works well for broadcasters in England. Amazon has an appetite for one-off big events rather than long-term deals like Sky has with the England and Wales Cricket Board. The Ashes in Australia fits into Amazon’s model, and it has the purchasing power to outbid all rivals.

Cricket Australia signed a five-year deal with BT Sport in 2015 that expires after the current Australian season, leaving the rights to the next Ashes up for grabs.

Telegraph Sport revealed last month that Amazon was interested in the Ashes, and it is understood talks have reached an advanced stage, although Sky remains a strong rival given it would be interested in showing the Big Bash as well as all other Australian Test series.

Losing the India tour and the Ashes would be a blow for Sky given the need for England live content to fill schedules on its dedicated cricket channel, but the broadcasting landscape in sport is changing quickly. Streaming services such as Disney and Amazon have huge budgets to challenge the established sports broadcasters.

Sky has had a virtual monopoly over England’s tours since 1990.

The last Ashes series on BT Sport was the first England tour for decades to have not been shown live on Sky, which has had a difficult relationship with the Indian board and has not shown any of its cricket for the past two years.

Amazon recently signed a deal with Cricket New Zealand for exclusive access to its India rights.

Cricket is seen as the ideal vehicle for breaking into the Indian market and capitalising on its digital boom. “We focus on picking sports events that transcend the day-to-day and have broad appeal as well as appeal to hard core fans. It is a moment to view,” Alex Green, the managing director of sport for Amazon Prime, recently told the BBC’s Media Show.

The pandemic has crippled other areas of the Disney business, but its streaming service is booming.

Christine McCarthy, the Disney chief financial officer, recently said it expected to have up to 350 million global subscribers by the end of 2024 and linking its sports content on Star with its digital service is inevitable.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drive to ensure sport is viewed by as few people as possible really is quite something.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India doesn't have to worry about people watching cricket, hence the above scenario. From Disney perspective it's about shifting UK subscriptions to watch its Star Wars guff and whatever else they have.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that saying it's a separate subscription to Disney+ though?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, yeah - in which case I'm guessing it's aimed squarely at Indian diaspora rather than England fans.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55584297

That picture of him in his hotel room.

I mean whatever works for you I guess but what a dork.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith is forgiven in Queensland

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Wade-Green-Paine middle order is tragicomic. Might as well dump a Marsh brother in there to complete the vibe.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Travis bloke is hard done by.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure we'll make them look like world beaters if we ever get that far down the order.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment both Nations should be pulling heel turns on New Zealand

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I could do that to Kane Williamson.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure we'll make them look like world beaters if we ever get that far down the order.
    You'll be pleased to know that in our inter-squad warm up game today Team Buttler got absolutely skittled by Team Root, necessitating Dom Sibley to come in again for a second bat at 48/6, so all is well at the manor house.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was on Team Buttler?

And, you may be about to answer that question depending if he was on Team Buttler, how is Crawley going to get on as an opener?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite optimistic about Crawley the opener (and Crawley in general tbh). He made a cool 46 for Team Root before nicking off to Mason Crane, who, it appears, is still alive.

Buttler lined up: Sibley, Pope, Bairstow, Buttler, Curran, Foakes and then Sibley again. Pope got all their runs and Bairstow (our new number three, it appears) got out slashing at a wide one from Jimmy Anderson.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really, really, really don't want Bairstow back in the team.

And I'll be sticking to that when he inevitably PROVES THE CRITICS WRONG with a decent score at some point because he'll soon be back to using DRS to confirm he's out to plumb LWBs.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares, he seems to be a top fella.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to hate them for being whingers after the 2019 final, but scrutiny reveals that they in fact didn't whinge at all and it was boatloads of Aussies and Indians whingeing on their behalf.

NZ cricket is a genuine underdog really, below the elite level it is an absolute mess of a setup compared to England or Australia, it's pretty incredible that they produce the players they do.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was gonna say the people involved that I saw (I obviously don't follow cricket news, social media, etc. that much in the scheme of things) seemed to take it in good grace despite being as gutted as you'd expect them to be.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Behave.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    NZ cricket is a genuine underdog really, below the elite level it is an absolute mess of a setup compared to England or Australia, it's pretty incredible that they produce the players they do.
    Genuinely interested to hear what sources you base this on. I'm not disagreeing; just surprised someone in the UK understands our system here. In my uninformed view, I would suspect it's (along with all our other sports) due to our small population, hence funding/resourcing issues.

Most of our top players at the moment come from fairly small parts of the country, which surprises me. Auckland has all the resources, but can't seem to produce elite level players.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander View Post
    Sorry, I know we are the land of the niggle.

NZ 1 in cricket and union hurts.
    NZ cricket supporters haven't forgotten the thrashing we got in Aus last year. The #1 on paper is nice, but anyone who knows anything about cricket understands it's only on paper...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hfswjyr View Post
    Genuinely interested to hear what sources you base this on. I'm not disagreeing; just surprised someone in the UK understands our system here. In my uninformed view, I would suspect it's (along with all our other sports) due to our small population, hence funding/resourcing issues.

Most of our top players at the moment come from fairly small parts of the country, which surprises me. Auckland has all the resources, but can't seem to produce elite level players.
    Precisely that (I know about it because I bring players across here for club cricket). Auckland has quite a decent setup but other than that there is just no depth anywhere and therefore the facilities have very little investment put into them, or at least cricket facilities are over-grassed afterthoughts slapped on the side of rugby grounds. NZ players at just-below-elite level who come over to play in England are usually woefully undercooked relative to where you'd think they'd be.

The reason you'll probably see a fair few top players come from south island or from wherever else (never having visited NZ I never quite understand what things like 'Central Districts' are) is because those regions will have some central funding from NZC at first class level and so will be able to plough lots of investment into quite easily identifiable talent.

The other way of doing it is to have (like Australia) a ridiculously strong grade system whereby you really have to be something to make it to state level, so talent ID is done via sink or swim. We in England are somewhere in between. South Africa does it all via the school system, which has its drawbacks.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see the saintly Aussie captain producing some more trademark wit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah given he started it that little interchange has gone well for him.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty mild stuff but I wish they'd just stop with the forced banter.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a load of top, top lads having a banter, innit.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not top lads at all. They are all so boring and it is no surprise that Paines bullshit and Smiths roughing up the crease pop back into the culture when they are under pressure.

The good boy act is all smoke and mirrors.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I was joking.

Like, at least have the self-awareness to know if you're witty enough to do an entertaining sledge. If after the first response you're going to have to resort to "yeh but nobody likes you " then maybe just wind it in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James Ormond v Mark Waugh – Ashes 2001 – Fifth test, The Oval

Despite Waugh undoubtedly having a greater mark on cricketing history, Ormond well and truly came out on top of this war. Upon arrival, Waugh said to Ormond: “Look who it is. Mate, what are you doing here? There’s no way you’re good enough to play for England.” Ormond replied: “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”
    I'd not seen that one before.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my morning autism derp.

I also think if the crowd has already been in the news for maybe saying something racist it might be smart to just stick bullying Marnus for lols.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim nice but dim is going to get, as they say, 'the sack', and presumably Marnus will take over and lead them to a 5-0 shitting all over us next year.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd not seen that one before.

All time classic.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one and the Atherton 'When in Rome, old boy...' one are the best. And the Eddo Brandes one obviously but I hardly even believe that can be real.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Labooshaaaaaane's average is stupid and he and Smith are definitely going to dick us to death.

Didn't he only come in against us as a replacement for somebody else as well?