Results 4,601 to 4,650 of 7410

Thread: Film Thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    *Rambo trailer*

I thought the last one ended it nicely, but I'm always up for watching pensioners rip people's throats out with their bare hands.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ant.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Lewis' Law.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when did they decide to remake Pet Sematary? I hadn't heard a thing of it and it appears to be on in the cinemas.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the new X-Men any good?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen anything very positive about it but nor have I seen it for myself.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolverines not in it anymore right? Gotta be a bit shit then.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old man's watching the Ghostbusters reboot. He's into it. I think it's bad but in a way that I think most throwaway comedies are bad. One-note characters and piss-poor, low humour.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Is the new X-Men any good?
    The critics and audiences have given it a hard pass if that's any indication to go by.

Supposedly Marvel plan to reboot the X-Men films in the MCU in the near future now that it's off FOX's hands.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was okay, but I'm not sure Sophie Turner is a good enough actress to carry the plot. Even the bits that are supposed to be impactful felt a bit flat. It's on par with the last couple of X-Men films, probably. Perfectly watchable but pales in comparison to the main Marvel universe.

Watched it in IMAX 3D the Friday it came out & the cinema was probably 10% full, so it seems like it's going to bomb.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Wick

Better than the second, not sure about the first as I'd need to see it again but it's a close thing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toy Story 4 seems to be smashing it in the reviews. Which is a relief given how unnecessary it seemed when announced.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember being equally worried about the third one. Glad it looks like it's going to be good - 100% at RT so far.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I was too worried about the third, my main concern with this one was just that the last one seemed like such a perfect ending and a rare trilogy that was good all the way through. I assume nothing in this is going to match the scene in that fucking incinerator though. Bastards.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t believe 3 was 9 years ago.... feels like half that.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't think I was too worried about the third, my main concern with this one was just that the last one seemed like such a perfect ending and a rare trilogy that was good all the way through. I assume nothing in this is going to match the scene in that fucking incinerator though. Bastards.
    Thats my go to reference when anything can’t possibly get any worse.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It was okay, but I'm not sure Sophie Turner is a good enough actress to carry the plot. Even the bits that are supposed to be impactful felt a bit flat. It's on par with the last couple of X-Men films, probably. Perfectly watchable but pales in comparison to the main Marvel universe.

Watched it in IMAX 3D the Friday it came out & the cinema was probably 10% full, so it seems like it's going to bomb.
    I think she's fine. It's just that the film is a bit crap, and basically the same story as the last one they did but with some names and faces changed around.

Here, why doesn't Michael Fassbender (the best thing about these films) make many films these days? He was bashing out four solid performances a year not so long ago. Did those woman-beating accusations coming back to light nobble him?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then again, it's set in 1992. Magneto should be about sixty, so he isn't even trying.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toy Story 4 might be the best one.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Toy Story 4 might be the best one.
    The reviews it’s getting are insane. This one included.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does everyone think of The Fly? I've never seen it, but it sounds awesome, and I really want to watch it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or is it a classic?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldblum gold.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there's an MCU movie in the making starring Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek, and possibly Keanu Reeves...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    What does everyone think of The Fly? I've never seen it, but it sounds awesome, and I really want to watch it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or is it a classic?
    I watched the original and really didn’t rate it, but supposedly the Goldblum remake is really good. I should give that one a go at some point.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    The original not so good, the 86 remake, great.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that Diego Maradona documentary last night. The archive footage is good, but it suffers for trying to make him out to be some sort of victim rather than a dickhead, and then it just sort of ends with footage ofhim being fat.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tends to be the issue with these things. Too much reverence. I've heard similar about the otherwise very well rated Senna which I've still yet to watch. And when I do I don't know enough about him to spot anything like that or the absence thereof.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the same director, and takes a pretty similar path. Maradona was too famous/the Napoli fans were too mental, so he had no choice but to get in with the mafia, cheat on his wife every week, and become a cocaine addict. Then, because Argentina knocked Italy out of the 1990 World Cup, the Powers That Be began harassing him with things like suspending him for failing a drug test (which the documentary says was the first suspension of its kind, suggesting that they only suspended him, when it was probably just the first cocaine failure), expecting him to pay his taxes (fair enough unusual for Italy), and charging him with giving mafia drugs to prostitutes.

Poor little mite.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Senna just outright lies by the time the first Suzuka scrap rolls around. The pole sitter has always been on the dirty side of the grid. He should've been Schumachered out of the 1990 season for deliberately punting Prost off. Senna should've been DQ'ed in 1989 for outside assistance. The stewards push-started him.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Clerks and Bicycle Thieves this week. I enjoyed them both, but being totally honest I'd be far more likely to rewatch the former than the latter.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the new Aladdin last night.

A combination of nostalgia for the original and my incredibly low expectations saw me though but if I ever watch it again will probably tell me whether I actually think it's any good. Will Smith is very likeable even with his weird blue abs and the guy who played Jafar was a terrible bit of casting.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new Spider-Man film. Gyllenhaal does a good job as Mysterio and some of the effects and scenes involving him are really nifty. Plus it has credits scenes that were there for more than a small chuckle.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been spoiled on the mid credits scene and I'm slightly miffed about it, but also amazed that they did it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiderman Far From Home

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Prestige yesterday because it seems to get raved about.

It was fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't even want to hear your nerd reasoning, just go hide in a hole.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post

It was fucking stupid.
    The fuck is wrong with you?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post

It was fucking stupid.
    Now I know how it feels when I tell my friends my opinion on films and they all call me a nonce. Thanks.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet he's in the sweet potato crew.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a proper dumb film. It felt like someone had removed the actual ending and made a spoof one.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deadwood

This film has absolutely no reason to exist, the old characters return to fulfill a plot point, new characters come in to fool you into thinking they matter. Ian McShane spends the entire movie on deaths door so is a literal shadow of himself.

The movie was made now because the writer/director has Alzheimers and it feels like it.

3/5 because I love the characters and it was nice to see them again but none of them do anything to make them shine apart from Olyphant/Bullock and the new whore in town who stood out by being fit and and having no lines while being in every other scene.

Kim Dickens/Joanie Stubbs continues to look 35 despite being 55.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally watched Heat after meaning to for years. It was very good. De Niro and Pacino both shone, particularly the latter.

Toggle Spoiler

I'm going to try and make my way through the (highest rated) films of the two of them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pacino probably has the biggest gap between his best and worst performances of any actor who's ever worked. When he gets it right he's amazing, but when he gets it wrong he could very easily just be a madman shouting at pigeons.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved Spider-Man Far from home.

Mid credit scene was better than most films.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone seen Midsommar yet?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lion King is getting slaughtered in the reviews.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Pacino probably has the biggest gap between his best and worst performances of any actor who's ever worked. When he gets it right he's amazing, but when he gets it wrong he could very easily just be a madman shouting at pigeons.
    I really hope he knocks it out of the park with The Irishman. He hasn't had a great film performance in 20 years. His last truly great one was probably The Insider. He was quite good in Insomnia, and he was actually decent in Danny Collins, despite the film's failings. Gives me hope that he can still turn it on.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched a few recently:

High Fidelity (2000)

Hmm, mixed feelings on this one. Great acting performances all round, especially from John Cusack and Jack Black (!), and very funny and well observed at times, especially to someone like me who was the biggest indie snob div as a teenager. The protagonist was such a wanker though. Not in a Breaking Bad way where you're supposed to think he's a bad person and you're a point-missing idiot for cheering him on; I'm fairly sure you're supposed to think he's a good guy. He's clearly not. 7/10

Office Space (1999)

Yeah, I enjoyed this. I fucking love Beavis and Butthead so it's not that surprising I really enjoyed Mike Judge's directorial debut (if you disregard Beavis & Butthead do America).

One slight disappointment is that I went in expecting a low-key, silly comedy with really great little moments. 15-30 mins in I was surprised by how good and clever it was, and my expectations were being massively exceeded, but just around the point i was starting to think "why have I never heard anyone say how amazing Office Space is?", it sorta lost its way a bit, and the last 15 minutes were a bit shit. Still lots of fun though. 7.5/10

Eight Grade (2018)

Brilliant film. I'd say it's possibly the best coming-of-age film I've ever seen. I was a really awkward and socially anxious teenager, and i've never seen any tv show or film that captures that feeling so sharply. I've always thought Bo Burnham was a solid comedian and seemed like a good egg, but I think he could end up being a very good filmmaker. 9/10

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving High Fidelity a 7 is top tier trolling.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Watched a few recently:

High Fidelity (2000)

Hmm, mixed feelings on this one. Great acting performances all round, especially from John Cusack and Jack Black (!), and very funny and well observed at times, especially to someone like me who was the biggest indie snob div as a teenager. The protagonist was such a wanker though. Not in a Breaking Bad way where you're supposed to think he's a bad person and you're a point-missing idiot for cheering him on; I'm fairly sure you're supposed to think he's a good guy. He's clearly not. 7/10
    Agreed outside of the score. I don't think you're supposed to think he's a good guy but I think it's almost impossible not to watch it as a male and see situations you've been in and therefore empathize with him. The finale would work better if everything in the film happens and then there's a slide saying '15 years later they had a kid and divorced'