User Tag List

Page 177 of 257 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,850 of 12805

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't checked to see if this feeling is correct but I feel like Burns either gets a decent score or bugger all.

Getting the full experience today though aren't we? Brief positivity, big wicket, getting taken round the ground by two proper tailenders, openers shit their pants. England.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Numbers 9 and 10 both getting their Test best scores, following by our openers both out for ducks, is peak Shit England.

I say Shit England because it's a very different proposition from England, and hasn't been seen properly in the wild since about 2001.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, piss. I really want Hameed to do well.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decision felt very harsh. Ishant Sharma, one lanky bugger, hitting him above the knee roll outside the crease? Very surprised it was given and even moreso that it had it clipping the top of the stumps.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah as with an Umpire's Call it never feels fun when it goes against you. At first glance I did just think "Oh that's close." It's a shame, I thought after a nervy start he looked like he was starting to get to grips with things a bit even if he hadn't turned it into many scoring shops yet.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, am shocked that anyone would dare give Bairstow out LBW.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a very plausible chance that India could win this without having dismissed Joe Root in the match, and if so, he should drop all ten of the others and replace them with new players for the next game.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I, for one, am shocked that anyone would dare give Bairstow out LBW.
    It is astonishing, though the whole thing isn't quite the same when the other team reviews to overturn an on-field not out.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumrah getting right up to Root for some fist-pumping there. Has he always been this chippy and I've just never noticed or is it everybody being arsey because of the business with him and Anderson?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there many worse at test cricket than England?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. France, Russia, Japan. Ghana. The list goes on.

lol Virat.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say that but we don't play Russia very often. How would Bairsy get on with a rock hard wicket in the steppes?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes wonder what the cricket characteristics would be of various non cricket playing nations, if they played. Germany would have loads of Stuart Broad-esque tall blond quicks, and win all the time. Spain would have a stylish middle order batsman nicknamed 'El Matador' and all shout 'vamos' when they took a wicket.

Egypt would have loads of bastard spinners and travel poorly. Italy would have a cheat wicketkeeper who would go andiamo, andiamo ragazzi into the stump mic ad infinitum.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may be losing this but there is nothing like a Test match fifth day finish with a crowd in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Root denied that England's tactics were a response to Bumrah peppering James Anderson with short-pitched bowling on the third evening."

It might not have affected our tactics but I felt it played into the bowling in that Shami / Bumrah partnership. I think they thought if they roughed them up with some short stuff they'd crumble and get out. When that didn't happen it looked like it took the wind out of our bowlers a little which then combined with Root's odd decisions let that pair get away from us.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

It might not have affected our tactics but I felt it played into the bowling in that Shami / Bumrah partnership. I think they thought if they roughed them up with some short stuff they'd crumble and get out. When that didn't happen it looked like it took the wind out of our bowlers a little which then combined with Root's odd decisions let that pair get away from us.
    That's probably the biggest reason why he shouldn't be captain. Whilst he has been how many times have we been twatted about for 70/80 runs by a couple of tail-enders at the end of an innings?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that he's got our joint-most wins as England captain with Vaughan however he's also got our third-most defeats (he's captained one more test than Vaughan and lost eight more games) and days like yesterday where we can't bat through two sessions are part of the reason, plus the aforementioned inability to reign in fucking Shami and Bumrah.

Of course he's not helped by having dreadful batsmen around him but it feels like the wins under root have come when the stars align and a handful of players manage to have a good game at the same time rather than through how the match is managed or by design.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not a thinking captain. Only in the job because he's our best player. He does do the statesman stuff very well, but I don't think he really thinks about the game like the best captains do.

You could say the same about Kohli, as it happens.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...batting-lineup
    Among top- and middle-order batsmen across the past 12 months of all Test-playing nations only Zimbabwe and Afghanistan average more ducks per match than England. While Root is in the batting form of his life, averaging 65.30 across 21 innings over the past year, the rest of England’s top seven are collectively averaging only 20.40, less than half of New Zealand’s 42.42 and by a margin the worst record in the world.
    Ace.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to basically rip this team apart and start again, possibly by including a couple of old greybeards from the county circuit as bridging players, although they won't do this because it would mean admitting everything they've done for the last two years has been a waste of time.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume what they'll actually do is just keep on absorbing the punishment because we need "continuity" for the Ashes, at which pointed we'll continue getting fucked to death.

What further tests do we have between India and Dahn Undah?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None. We have the World T20.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful.

Is there much red-ball cricket in that time for those not involved in the T20? I've no idea when the county championship runs these days.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another run of red ball games at the end of the season, yes. 4 more rounds plus the final. If anyone stacks them up in those games they will be in position for a berth to have a miserable 4 month tour of Australia.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anybody you expect to be in the running? Or people you'd particularly like to see?

I'll be interested to see what, if anything, they do for the next test. Hameed up to open for a test or two (for Sibley I'd guess?) and somebody in at 3?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be Malan in for Sibley and Hameed to open, but I have a feeling that James Vince might be in the frame too. Curran probably out for Overton, which makes us more racist but probably doesn't improve much on the field.

I'd like to see Saqib Mahmood play but I'm not sure he will.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard the doom-klaxon that is the name 'James Vince' mentioned in a few places and am not happy about it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds just great: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...report-1273989

ESPNcricinfo has seen much of the evidence and is aware of some of the conclusions. Among the witness statements are reports of multiple Asian players claiming they were called 'smelly Paki' and a Yorkshire captain routinely using the word 'nigger.' More than one age-group coach also reports they were told not to select too many Asian youngsters in their side.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is this delay just them trying to work out who's expendable that they can get rid of to cover the arses of everybody else?

EDIT: Hang on:

Yorkshire's issue is that the enquiry - which they claim was independent, but was actually paid for by the club and carried out by individuals chosen by the club
    What?

I love when organisations investigate themselves for wrongdoing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sibley and Crawley oot, Malan in so I suspect your top-order prediction was right, Jimmy. And no James Vince yet, thank the lord.
    @Cord pointed out to me yesterday that cricket's most memorable man, Barry Gallance, has England's highest average from players capped after Joe Root with over 37. 37! And yet he wasn't good enough apparently. What a time that must have been.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an interview at Taunton last night Hobbs said :— “I want to pay a tribute to Sandham, who played a wonderfully unselfish game and nursed me with great skill. But for him I should not have been near a century when Surrey obtained the required number of runs.”
    Between that and the keeper 'failing to whip the bails off' when he was on 97, all sounds totally legit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently made an incursion into the east sussex/kent border region and was staying near Newenden, which had a great little cricket pitch. It was pretty tiny and bordered on 3 sides variously by a river with plentiful amounts of pleasure craft, paddle boarders and other aquatic targets, a row of houses with their cars parked out front and a busy road with frequently queued traffic due to the presence of a narrow bridge. No more than a 50 metre hit to get involved with any of the above. Their insurance policy probably takes up 90% of their annual budget. I was particularly taken by this sign:

Toggle Spoiler

I never new 'heads' was an internationally recognised warning cry [of course I have heard/used it] in the style of golf's 'fore' but I like it.

Ever made it down that way Jimmy?
    Last edited by niko_cee; 21-08-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Wood to miss the third test.

Wonderful. I'd like to see Mahmood get a go.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I recently made an incursion into the east sussex/kent border region and was staying near Newenden, which had a great little cricket pitch. It was pretty tiny and bordered on 3 sides variously by a river with plentiful amounts of pleasure craft, paddle boarders and other aquatic targets, a row of houses with their cars parked out front and a busy road with frequently queued traffic due to the presence of a narrow bridge. No more than a 50 metre hit to get involved with any of the above. Their insurance policy probably takes up 90% of their annual budget. I was particularly taken by this sign:

Toggle Spoiler

I never new 'heads' was an internationally recognised warning cry [of course I have heard/used it] in the style of golf's 'fore' but I like it.

Ever made it down that way Jimmy?
    Never been down there, or at least not for cricket purposes. Too busy being sent into the arse end of south Croydon. Balls flying out of grounds are a bit of a problem for rec cricket these days, as far more sixes are hit than there ever used to be (even by shit players), and also there is the scourge of homeowners moving into places next to cricket grounds and then crying foul that balls end up flying into their back gardens. There is no force in the universe so powerful as the British homeowner.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior ECB executives to share £2.1m bonus despite Covid job cuts

Always a good look, this sort of thing.

You gots to have them retention tools for key senior leaders though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently England only need 16 more ducks from our remaining 6 tests this year to break our record for test ducks in a calendar year.

Easy.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My spies tell me all is not well at the ECB, but then they've been saying that for years and look where we are.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not well in any new / interesting ways or just the ways in which you'd expect?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The verdict is that the Hundred is going to completely bollocks the equilibrium of the domestic game, due to Hundred-hosting counties having a massive cash influx from matchdays and being able to use it to hoover up basically anyone good from non Hundred counties. That will create an environment in which strong cricket centres like Essex, Somerset, Sussex, Kent wither away over time as they won't be able to keep their good players or crowds. ECB's relentless focus on marketing to large cities / focusing on the Asian population (who are basically on board as it is) will end up shrinking the game but because they are run mainly by ex IMG people who judge themselves solely on the size of TV deals, they won't care.

It's a proper mess waiting to happen. You can already see in the state of the England Test team how much ECB care about that (barely at all). Coming out with that line about key leader retention in the current climate is a signal of a complete tin ear.

Meanwhile if my club registers a child under the ECB All Stars programme (starting kids in cricket), from the child's £40 fee for our trained volunteers providing the coaching, £5 is kept by us and £35 goes to the ECB coffers. Their priorities are completely screwed because they know nothing.

Grass roots cricket here is amazingly strong but ECB is currently run by very bad people.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *run by key senior leaders.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overton over Mahmoud. A victory for racism and mediocrity.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how fitting at a ground that is very much the home of cricket racism.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume they're hoping his gammony tendencies will fire him up because he'll want the pesky Asians to go back where they came from.

EDIT: "From Emerald Headingly."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    And how fitting at a ground that is very much the home of cricket racism.
    Overton: "The REAL home of cricket."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy you absolute beauty.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obligatory "when he retires we may as well give up" post #1376.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Virat! Stick that up your dojo.

Anderson running riot on a sunny morning - the greatest.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    629. Could he get to Murali? 171 more. It's an ask. 77 to match Warne.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warne feels doable. Murali would be some going.