User Tag List

Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 23

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newport County 27/28 Season- Second Half

Having left off 2 points clear of Crewe but with them having a game in hand, I was expecting them to win the title, or at least a close race between the 2. In the end... neither of those things happened. January saw us knocked out of both the Pizza Cup (losing on penalties to Oxford) and the FA Cup (losing 2-1 to a 90th minute goal from a Neymar corner at Southampton...) but our league record was 4 wins and 1 loss (getting spanked 3-0 by Orient who beat us 7-1 over the 2 games somehow). January transfer business was basically non-existent. We went in for a new RB who chose Sunderland over us, a new keeper who signed a new deal with his own team, and a new LB who we got priced out of. As a result our only signing was an unemployed Josh Kayode, previously of Rotherham, who came in and immediately created 2 goals off the bench to turn a 1-2 deficit around and see us win 4-2 at Crawley in the most significant January match.

February saw us win 5 out of 5 and then March started with 3 wins on the bounce too, taking our total wins in a row to 9. This meant that with 7 league games to go, we would secure promotion if Cheltenham failed to win against Wycombe. They scored a 87th minute winner to make us wait, and then we only managed a 2-2 draw at lowly Sutton to extend the wait even longer. Our next game was Yeovil at home and before that Crewe (2nd) played Pompey (3rd) in a game that was moved for TV. Pompey beat them 4-0 in a result that meant if we beat Yeovil we would not only be promoted, we would be champions. Kayode opened the scoring and old man Bogle came off the bench to net twice in a routine 3-0 win that sent us up as champions with 5 games to spare. The scheduling of the league then got really weird. We had a 3 week break before our next game and just like last season we came out of a long break looking like shite. We lost 5-2 at Cambridge and then after ANOTHER 2 week break lost 1-0 at Stevenage (though we bossed the game). 5 days later we made it 3 losses in a row going down 2-1 at home to Exeter but a 2-1 win at Shrewsbury (after another 10 day break...) meant the final game against Crewe was important. A win would see us break the all time wins record and the all time points record. We delivered, beating them 2-0, meaning despite out shit end of season form we end up like this:

Newport- 104
    Crewe- 91
    Portsmouth- 90
    - - - - - - -
    Cheltenham- 87
    Orient- 79
    Exeter- 79
    Stockport- 78

Marc Francois the youngster we had on loan from parent club Palace was our player of the season, scoring 7 and creating 15 assists (honestly if they tracked the number of goals where his pass was the most important one in the move but not the actual assist i'm sure he'd have a ton) and an average rating of 7.38 from 50(2) games. Riley (on loan from Lincoln, and the loan has been renewed), Drysdale and new boy Koyode also managed average ratings of above 7.20. Goals wise, old man Bogle lead the way with 32 goals in 32(22) games and McCausland managed 19 in 55 starts, most of which were on the wing. Riley seemed to go off the boil after a hot start and ended up with 16 goals and 13 assists from 43 games.

Squad wise I think we have a good base to plan for life in League 1 but there is work to do. 3 of our 4 starting defenders were on loan so the position will need to be addressed, although Will Reddie is out of contract and loves the club so hopefully we might be able to make something happen if Bolton don't renew him. Our midfield and wingers are solid but we will have to look for a Francois replacement as he's already turned down an extended loan. We could still do with a striker so we aren't so reliant on Bogle who will be 35 by the time the new season kicks off. We also might have an issue with McCausland as I might have promised him new training facilities to get him through the door.... but we'll see what happens there.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I'm now pretty much fucked with the wage cap.

17 registered (one of those is a non contract player and I'm not sure how he's been allowed in) with no backup keeper and I'm at the cap as I brought in two big wage players before I knew of it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a loan RB lined up for £1.4k but he rejected me and then all of a sudden clubs started accepting that loanees can go out for no wage contribution:

I have a backup keeper now and I've got really good depth all over.

That window was a real painful experience. I hope we go straight up (media prediction has us at 21st and season preview has us at 18th so tall order) and our cap isn't so pitiful.
    Last edited by Sir Andy Mahowry; 24-12-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve not started a save yet on FM23. Baz has got me a ‘mystery shirt’ for Christmas, and I’ll be starting my save with that team.
    I’m becoming more worried that I’ll get someone like Barcelona though. My plan is that’s the case it to start without a job with the aim of working up to manage that club.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you will need to learn Spanish...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alebrijes de Oaxaca Fútbol Club. It’s pretty special.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get the CM Punk shirt for Christmas too?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also got him that.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this today. What is the bullshit you have to do to get the poxy Nazi team real names again?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Got this today. What is the bullshit you have to do to get the poxy Nazi team real names again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Don't forget to fix names and stuff: https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm23-real-...cense-fix.html
    Here.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanking you Barrington.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgotten how unhappy this game can make you. Blood properly boiling after a 1-1 home draw with Leeds. Cardiovascular system needs looking at.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, it's gone. What are you supposed to do when your forwards just will not score for games and games in a row? 8 xG in the last 6 games and two goals scored, which wipes out all the good play in the first 40 games / 15 hours playing time of the season.

The ridiculous new board performance thing means I'm on the edge of the sack as well. Why are they seething that I haven't signed famous players? This is FM, not Marketing Manager 2023.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the worst paragraph in this is. Being reminded about losing a Champions League quarter-final to fucking Celtic (0-1/0-0, literally couldn't hit a barn door for 180 minutes), Ranieri being lined up as replacement, or John Terry taking charge of team affairs.

Toggle Spoiler

I came 5th in the league, CL quarter-final and FA Cup semi. Just an immensely frustrating and infuriating second half of the season. Any time we scored we were immediately pegged back, the forwards were just atrocious and couldn't hit the target, and we got so many yellow cards that set pieces against and suspensions took their toll as well. But mainly it was about being wasteful and not being able to put away chances.

I'm going to stay in the same save and try and get another job I think - I'm enjoying the game, but it's just so difficult to get it right unless you micromanage everything and so commit 12 hours a day to playing a handful of matches.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't really matter what you do Jimmy.

The Match Engine is fucking abhorrent. Player promises are even more broken. Its a fucking piece of trash.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun when you’re managing 31 blokes off a message board you’ve posted on for over 20 years, mind.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ME might be trash but this is the version I've had the most fun with in a while tbh.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another season done at Wrexham and it was quite a bittersweet one:

We really improved this season, as we were competitive in pretty much every game and ended up with 5 points more than last season. In fact, we were in with a decent shot at the title up until the start of April or so, where our form just suddenly dipped and we only managed to gather 8 points from the last 6 games, which meant we actually missed out on Champions League football. A real gut punch as we spent the whole season at 4th or higher and only fell out of the top 4 on the final day. The penultimate game was the one that did it though, as we were ahead against (20th mind you) Leeds and they found an equaliser out of nowhere in the 4th minute of injury time. Our cup performances were also disappointing but I did make the conscious decision to play weakened squads there so it was inevitable.

Now here is where it becomes interesting. We won all 8 of our CL group phase games, including a magnificent 4-0 away win over Bayern as well as a 6-0 win over Benfica. We were somewhat lucky with the last 16 draw as Dortmund weren't really up to our standards. Our next hurdle was Liverpool in the quarters and that one stung a bit, as we were fairly comfortably the better team in both games, yet it was them that somehow went through. Oh well.

Very good performances all around with the very glaring weakness being our left winger, though in reality the right winger is just as average, he just gets a few assists more as he's often our set-piece taker and that props his stats up. The dilemma here is: I would really like to tweak my tactic a bit to get more from our wingers, but at the same time "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? So ye, I would like to change something, but I am also a bit scared of messing things up. As for individual players, I can't not mention Davidson, who we took a gamble by signing him from a Championship club for a club record of 72m euros, but he really delivered:

Toggle Spoiler

Edit: Well it seems I spoke too fast. We still qualified for the Champions League courtesy of City winning the whole thing and earning a spot that way.
    Last edited by Adramelch; 26-12-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    It doesn't really matter what you do Jimmy.

The Match Engine is fucking abhorrent. Player promises are even more broken. Its a fucking piece of trash.
    There are things I notice in the match engine which are superficially improvements from previous editions - players actually react to deflections/cannons within 10 seconds, now - but they don't seem to have solved for some years now the idea that forwards just get put clean through far too often (for whatever reason - my centre backs turned like boats but it may well be that they all do) and that means that they also have to miss a lot of seemingly easy chances or else every game would end 7-5.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wasn't as prevalent in the previous version but it was most definitely still there. My main issue is how virtually every other goal seems to come from a hilariously bad pass getting intercepted, a player inexplicably dallying on the ball for far too long and/or a horrendous first touch. Like I get it, these things happen, but ye it's way over the top in that version.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst thing for me is rebounds. It's like players just aren't ever expecting them. I think about 80% of the rebounds my players actually get on to (which isn't many at all) end with a tame shot that is cleared off the line by a defender who isn't in position to get anywhere near it if they just hit the fucking ball with any power. Even if ones that go in trickle their way over the line.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granada predicted third by the media and the season preview tab who were favourites at home destroyed

Fans still don't like me all that much though.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The player interactions and mood swings really is really borked. I use the in-game editor to remove unhappiness most of the time. I'm not having a player I signed 6 months ago from obscurity (Uruguay 3rd division) moaning to me about rejecting a $200k bid from Real Betis. Cunt.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    The player interactions and mood swings really is really borked. I use the in-game editor to remove unhappiness most of the time. I'm not having a player I signed 6 months ago from obscurity (Uruguay 3rd division) moaning to me about rejecting a $200k bid from Real Betis. Cunt.
    I just tell them to suck it up and go on with my life. Can't say I've noticed any negative influences.
    @Browning: I don't generally have many rebounds, but you just described exactly what happens when a player goes around the goalkeeper and shoots against an open goal.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get @Danny to have a word. He sorts most problems out.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another one. Corner takers being offside on the second ball back to them. I know it happens very occasionally in real football, but jesus christ it happens the entire time on this version.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think they added that as short corners used to be absolutely fucking broken.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Just get @Danny to have a word. He sorts most problems out.
    I was very confused until I realized you probably mean the TTH FM game

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gillingham : Mid Season Update - Season 2082/83

After a busy summer, where I think i've made the squad a bit worse than it was, this is the standings at the halfway stage.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's annoying. FA Cup 3rd round.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking over from @thommo in Dulwich Hamlet the job was simple. Dont fuck up the good start.

After a wobble in the very second game against Weymouth, I thought I may have been in trouble, however the league was plain sailing throughout. The league was secured with 4 games to spare. The team definitely switched off after that though. Only 1 win in the last 4 games.

A little annoying to not quite break the 3 figures in points, but it's still a record for the league. Most of our good fortune was down to Alex Bonnington. Immediately nicknamed him Bono and sat back as he finished the season with 33 goals in 38 starts.

As we were flying high in the league I turned my attention to the FA Trophy as a chance at a double for the season. We saw off Banbury United, Scunthorpe and Darlington to set up a semi-final clash with Woking. A very tense 0-0 away leg allowed us to bring it to our place with game fully on. A 2-0 win saw us to the final with by far the biggest fish we'd faced in Yeovil Town. Even worse. Our talisman Bono picked up a yellow card late in the return leg to get himself suspended for the final.

The game started horrifically as we conceded a penalty inside 3 minutes to go 1-0 down, then very much clung on to half time. A sprinkling of half time changes got us off and into the game and saw the game levelled on the 50th minute. From there it was very much back and forth but no further goals sent it to extra time. Could we push on and nab a famous winner?

No. We could not. Despite fashioning two great late chances, the ball just wouldn't go in. Still a great season and this popped up after:

I hand over to @Mahow with a club very much on the up. Let's see what happens next.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get in there Lewis.

I've taken over Nottingham Forest (in the Championship). Thought it was a coup to land such a job as the press were linking me with Exeter and Morecambe, and then I quickly found out why. Inherited a post-relegation wage bill of £1.3 million with a budget of £55,000 per week while the highest earning player alone was on £88,000. Managed to slice £800,000 per week off the wage bill and bring in £57 million in player sales, but wasn't able to spend a single penny of it because we're still 5 times higher than the maximum wage bill the board will allow. That part was quite fun.

Then the matches started again and although we're 6th after 15 games, it's about the least enjoyable thing I've ever done in my life. The last two games have featured us binning 2-0 leads in the last five minutes because I don't have a squad deep enough to rest anyone and they all die after 80 minutes. I've started just fielding random kids and hoping to get away with it even though they're barely Conference standard.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 days rest from training after every game will sort you out Jim.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nottingham Forest, 19 games into the season update:

Toggle Spoiler

Terry Waite had more fun chained to a radiator than I am having playing this. One of my centre forwards has an average rating of 6.24, the other one hasn't hit the target with any of his last 17 shots. I can't sign anyone because the board have decided a budget of £110,000 a week is 'high enough as it is', despite the balance of £92 million, transfer budget of £18 million and the fact that this would be the lowest wage budget in the Championship by a mile (we are actually paying £520,000 which is 6th highest). Our first win was 4-1 on the opening day, since then the remaining 7 wins have all been by one goal, three of them 90th minute winners and the others clinging on for dear life. We've also thrown away 13 points from winning positions. xG has us bang in the correct league spot.

The in-game part of the FM experience is just pure agony. I don't think I've ever had less fun playing a game.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the verdict on this one then? It hasn't gone off as cheap as I imagined in the sale.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim and DS hate it. Everyone else is enjoying it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post up your tactic screen, Jimmy?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the one hand I have fomo as everyone is having fun with this.

On the other I trust DS that it's shit.

One of life's great quandaries.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on 22 so have no idea but I've heard some horror stories about the ME, which is the single most important part of the game (and often the weakest).

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Could you post up your tactic screen, Jimmy?
    Not got it open but I go between 4-2-3-1 VTT in home games against shite and 4-3-3 fluid counter attack in more difficult games. We have averaged out at 60% possession which feels like a lot. Chance creation we are about 9th in the league, defending about 4th. xG we are bang on where we should be.

None of it's terrible and I'm not losing consistently, it's just unbelievably stressful to be part of. The wage budget issue mentioned above will probably torpedo my Forest reign, I might give it one more job in the same save lower down and stop playing high pressing.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also say that I've really enjoyed the squad building and off-field part of the game, it's just the ME making me shed organs.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gillingham : A Further Mid Season Update - Season 2082/83

We've now played 3/4's of the premier league season and it's still tight. We've hit a run of form and Liverpool have slipped up slightly, which puts us in the lead as we approach the home straight. Worht noting that we are still in the champions league and FA cup. Liverpool, however, have only the FA cup to deal with having finished bottom of their champs league group of Lyon, Ajax and Valerenga, which could work in their favour.

The current league standings at the 3/4 stage.

On a separate note, as we're in 2082, i thought i'd upload the world cup winners over the past 70 odd years and also the current longest serving managers.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a hell of a run for Brazil

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first season in the Croatian top flight with Dujopolge has been completed. For some context, if you remember this is our first season ever in the top flight and we were predicted to finish last. It was also our first season as a professional club.

Starting with the league qualification rules for anyone unfamiliar with Croatian domestic football:

It's safe to say that Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split are comfortably ahead of anyone else in the league, with Dinamo a level above Hajduk.

An excellent season overall. And European qualification! A season slightly tarnished by the following:

We were second for much of the season, but blew it towards the end, losing to Hajduk a few games from the finale really cost us. It was the difference between some sort of Champions League run and the Europa Conference League. I can't imagine we'd have gone far in the Champions League so this may work out okay, but you'd imagine there might have been some financial implications. Not to worry.

We also lost in the Croatian cup final, to a team finishing mid-table. This was disappointing after beating Dinamo Zagreb in the semi-final.

As you can see, we showed we're capable of mixing it with the big boys.

Below you can see that our reputation has increased and a review of our season.

Finally, our squad and two main tactics used. There's going to be a bit of an overhaul in the summer as we're losing a few and others are not quite good enough.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    That's a hell of a run for Brazil
    Bottle jobs.

I'll upload the Euros when I'm next on.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick look at the Conference League and it looks like we'll get £85k for appearing in the 3rd qualifying round. Win that and it's the same in the 4th round. Win that and we're in the group stages, and it's £428k for a win. That's about a third of our current annual turnover.

If we'd finished second and qualified for the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League, the finances would have been similar (£85k appearance). The difference being if we'd lost, we'd have gone into the Europa League 3rd qualifying round and been given a hefty £239k. If we'd won a couple of games and gone out just before the group stages of the Champions League, we could have qualified for the Europe League group stages.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a grand first season in the league @ScousePig.

You'll likely be better off in the conference league as there'll be more chance of stealing the odd win or draw. You also don't need 6 humpings scattered through your season. Terrible for morale.

The catch 22 you face is that Dinamo will be a bastard to catch, but you'll also need them to be good because you'll be needing their European Coefficient points(assuming you stay there a while mind you).

Also interesting to still see Hajduk are listed as a parent club. Maybe some chance to grab a loan or two for next season?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    What's the verdict on this one then? It hasn't gone off as cheap as I imagined in the sale.
    I think it's just as bad/good as the previous X versions if I'm honest. I still got my money's worth just off the basis of the ME being different than the previous version.