• Turtle in a little Chelsea-branded baseball cap

2 25.00%
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: February Football: The (Not A) Ho Chi Minh Special

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck's sake my stream is about 2 minutes behind Mahow's. See you at full time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Barca

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barca look pretty shaky right now.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this means Real are actually total bobbins as well, but I fear they have more of a champion mentality. This Barcelona team looks a bit like Spain [albeit a worse version] where there is a lot of expectation being heaped on young shoulders.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside the box actually.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rashford's going to ruin us in 10 days.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper game this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good game. Ref absolutely shit. Barcelona should've had a penalty for Fred's handball and Kounde should've been sent off for the foul when Rashford was clean through.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Ocampos strike is outrageous.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qatar or some lol wealth fund buying United is an interesting one because they are an established club that don't need City, PSG, Newcastle style 'financial doping', so what do they contribute to claim their share of any reflected glory if they merely spend the money that would have otherwise gone on debt re-payments (and a bit on top)? My guess would be one of those ridiculous NFL-style stadiums.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Qatar or some lol wealth fund buying United is an interesting one because they are an established club that don't need City, PSG, Newcastle style 'financial doping', so what do they contribute to claim their share of any reflected glory if they merely spend the money that would have otherwise gone on debt re-payments (and a bit on top)? My guess would be one of those ridiculous NFL-style stadiums.
    Yeah they'll invest a load into the stadium, facilities and "surrounding area".

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 1996–97 season the new name of Newcastle Falcons and new black-and-white colours were adopted, after local businessman Sir John Hall took control and attempted to create a sporting club in Newcastle that would emulate the success of the Barcelona model. The four teams that made up that sporting club were the football team, nicknamed the Magpies, the Newcastle Eagles basketball team, the Newcastle Cobras (later Riverkings, Jesters, Vipers) ice hockey team and the Newcastle Falcons rugby union team.
    I still think this was a daft thing to do, even then. Man Utd could pull something like that together.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lister Storm hardly set the racing world on fire either.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Spotify camp nou is some stadium inside. Looks bang average outside.

Thought that was the best I've seen United play away at a top Spanish team in twenty years or so. We absolutely terrorised them at times and the effort second half was sensational. I wouldn't be surprised if we slump v Leicester. The ref was shit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't appreciated that Liverpool are the only side to have beaten Newcastle in the league this season. How has that happened? 11 draws out of 22 games as well is some going.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a flukey 96th minute goal from a corner as well. Botman is a proper plur

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    United still vulnerable at the back until they bring in decent defensive signings in the summer. Could have been 3-0 down by half time if Leeds could finish on Sunday.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    United still vulnerable at the back until they bring in decent defensive signings in the summer. Could have been 3-0 down by half time if Leeds could finish on Sunday.
    We weren't playing either of our starting centre backs. We need better depth - the drop off in most areas from first XI to backups is shocking - but our starting back 4 are excellent.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. It's hardly surprising that we're shaky with Malacia - Shaw - Maguire - Wan-Bissaka as the back line compared to Shaw - Martinez - Varane - Dalot. We're also infinitely more solid with Casemiro, who was also out against Leeds.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 17-02-2023 at 02:17 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malacia offers a lot going forward though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Malacia offers a lot going forward though.
    Scoring or assisting don't actually matter provided you're chaotic mate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Exactly. It's hardly surprising that we're shaky with Malacia - Shaw - Maguire - Wan-Bissaka as the back line compared to Shaw - Martinez - Varane - Dalot. We're also infinitely more solid with Casemiro, who was also out against Leeds.
    The back four who shipped 2 against Leeds then? Though I accept Casemiro was out for that and the Arsenal match. 8 conceded in the last 6 PL games. Surely there are upgrades available at full back and goalkeeper in the transfer market?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everton are assessing Calvert-Lewin's car and mattress after his latest injury

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey that's not funny. I've had a bad hip from the car and a bad shoulder from the mattress.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is both amazing and completely unsurprising that a football club will pay millions of pounds to someone for their athletic prowess and then not take even the most basic precautions against injury.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    The back four who shipped 2 against Leeds then? Though I accept Casemiro was out for that and the Arsenal match. 8 conceded in the last 6 PL games. Surely there are upgrades available at full back and goalkeeper in the transfer market?
    I'm not saying nobody in the first choice back line can possibly be improved, but that's different to being "vulnerable". The first choice back 5 is very good. De Gea obviously needs replacing but he's genuinely been a lot better this season. Martinez and Varane are as good as you can get. Are there many left backs available who are a big upgrade on Shaw? Dalot is the other obvious one but even he's been enormously better than previous seasons.

A top class striker and midfielder should and will be top of our shopping list. Then it's about getting rid of the shite and improving the squad so there's not an enormous step down in quality as soon as certain players are out.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    It is both amazing and completely unsurprising that a football club will pay millions of pounds to someone for their athletic prowess and then not take even the most basic precautions against injury.
    Daniel Sturridge wasn’t allowed to do PE in school in case he got a career ending injury, and look how that panned out.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's talk rustproofing . . .

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying nobody in the first choice back line can possibly be improved, but that's different to being "vulnerable". The first choice back 5 is very good. De Gea obviously needs replacing but he's genuinely been a lot better this season. Martinez and Varane are as good as you can get. Are there many left backs available who are a big upgrade on Shaw? Dalot is the other obvious one but even he's been enormously better than previous seasons.

A top class striker and midfielder should and will be top of our shopping list. Then it's about getting rid of the shite and improving the squad so there's not an enormous step down in quality as soon as certain players are out.
    Luke Shaw is a myth. He’s ok but nothing better than that and he is not good enough to be Manchester United’s first choice left-back. As long as they have him in the team they will always have a problem.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was very good for England at the World Cup, but I think that's more telling of Southgates England than anything else.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    He was very good for England at the World Cup, but I think that's more telling of Southgates England than anything else.
    Same as Maguire looks ok in that team as well. They will always look ok in limited defensive teams.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soccer is back tonight

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Luke Shaw's second biggest hater after Jose Mourinho, and he's been absolutely fine this season. I'm not saying you couldn't improve on him, but it would be well down the list of priorities. I also don't think Dave Gayer needs canning unless somebody really, really shit hot is available to take his place. His distribution is more than adequate now that he has competent and/or confident receivers in front of him. He just looked hopeless passing it to Chris Smalling or Harry Maguire and then having to panic as they stand on the ball looking for options beyond whoever was at right-back.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kvaratskhelia at it again.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Osimhen is ridiculous. I'd be moving heaven and earth to buy him in the summer.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Qatar will.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Luke Shaw is a myth. He’s ok but nothing better than that and he is not good enough to be Manchester United’s first choice left-back. As long as they have him in the team they will always have a problem.
    To be completely honest, even after a decade of watching Luke Shaw, I still have no real idea how good he is.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems a bid of about £5bn has gone in from Qatar. Nobody is matching that.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was big Jim just hoping to roll up with a lowball offer then? He seems to be worth enough if he cares enough.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Osimhen is ridiculous. I'd be moving heaven and earth to buy him in the summer.
    The top clubs could do a lot worse than putting together a massive double deal for him and Kvara.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Was big Jim just hoping to roll up with a lowball offer then? He seems to be worth enough if he cares enough.
    Nah, I think he's willing to pay a fair price. He's just not willing to entertain the laughable valuation the Glazers are asking for, whereas the Qataris don't care.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Ratcliffe is supposedly depending on external financing, so, other than him not taking any dividends or whatever, it's hard to see how that represents a massive improvement on the current ownership. Throw the looming spectre of Dave Brailsford into the mix and it is conceivably worse.

Unfortunately it was always going to be human rights abusers. I wonder how things would have been different had Rupert Murdoch bought them all those years ago, or if Sir Alex Ferguson hadn't been a greedy cunt about that horse.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people with money enough to buy your big clubs 10+ years ago, you'd maybe be lucky and get a nice successful businessman, though they are rare in themselves, but they'd be at least morally questionable.

The people with money enough to buy them now are not going to be nice people no matter where they're from.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the way to the game the other day it came up how we would feel if Liverpool were taken over by Saudi, Qatar, Dubai or the like and I was the only one who said it wasn’t really for me and that I don’t know how I would handle it but that at the very least I didn’t think I would go to games anymore. Everyone else just felt it was a way to try and win things.

Speaking to United fans I know(the office below us is full or them) they all don’t seem bothered either about the moral side of it. I find it strange personally but maybe I’m just turning into a lefty bitch in my old age.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t care less who owns Liverpool.
    I'm a twit

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premier League should never have let this happen. There will be premier league games played in the dirt within ten years.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be completely honest, even after a decade of watching Luke Shaw, I still have no real idea how good he is.
    Nothing that’s the problem. Maguire and De Gea are bigger problems if you want to play progressive football but he’s the next biggest issue.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Premier League should never have let this happen. There will be premier league games played in the dirt within ten years.
    Yep, the league is not far from completely jumping the shark.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's any great mystery with Shaw. If he's happy and motivated he's probably on average a.... 7.5/10 left back? Maybe an 8? That ballpark anyway. But he absolutely needs a manager to back him and keep his 7 brain cells in harmony. When you've got a cunt like Mourinho coating him off in public and whatever he goes to bits.