User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are derbies actually good?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're the best! Because of PASSION, probably

0 0%
  • They're invariably a massive, Sky-hyped anticlimax

2 40.00%
  • I suppose a pointless team with no real local rival

0 0%
  • I prefer The Derby, because I hate horses

2 40.00%
  • Two local turtles having a scrap for bragging rights

1 20.00%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: October Football: Derbies 'n' stuff

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Haaland is bonkers.
    If a player was scoring this many in FM everyone would be saying they needed nerfs or the match engine was broken. He's inhuman.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That defending

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how delusional it sounds, but I honestly think if we'd tried to play football in the first half rather than desperation counter-attacking we could've given them a game. Oh well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you weren't 4-0 down they probably wouldn't have let you play the way you have been this half to be fair.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    If you weren't 4-0 down they probably wouldn't have let you play the way you have been this half to be fair.
    No, and I still think we'd have lost, but I think it would've been better. You can't beat them by just giving them the ball endlessly.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stumbled upon this.

Can you imagine a greater clusterfuck?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not get Turkey and Syria involved for the full Ottoman reunion.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everything else they’ll just buy it and it’ll happen.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was Fernandes and Eriksen a tactical error in a game like that? They'd have been better off going with Casemiro and McTominay Shirley? I mean fuck if it was me on FM I'd have prob gone Casemiro with McFred and just tried to shithouse them as much as possible and maybe grab one on the break .

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruno Lage sacked at Wolves. Who comes in next?

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick McCarthy.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the Casemiro lad played at all yet?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    Was Fernandes and Eriksen a tactical error in a game like that? They'd have been better off going with Casemiro and McTominay Shirley? I mean fuck if it was me on FM I'd have prob gone Casemiro with McFred and just tried to shithouse them as much as possible and maybe grab one on the break .
    I'd have played Casemiro + Fred with one of Bruno or Eriksen.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, it's incredible how Southgate manages to make Foden look shit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    As an aside, it's incredible how Southgate manages to make Foden look shit.
    Aye, it’s incredible how much of a free pass he gets on how he has handled Sancho, Foden and TAA(regardless of his poor start to this season) since they got into the squad.

He’s got three very good young players there who would walk into most teams in the world and he gets fuck all out of them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It genuinely irritates me how wank he is.

A team like:
    Pope
    James
    Stones
    Tomori
    Chilwell
    Rice
    Bellingham
    Foden
    Madison
    Grealish/Sancho
    Kane

is full of quality players who've performed at absolute top club level. They should be playing great football and dicking on most international sides then going out against the very best ones and playing as equals. I mean that would be a genuinely good Champions League team, never mind international football.

Instead we're served up some 6-3-1 formation shitefest and look like we're happy to nick a point or a 1-0 against the likes of Hungary.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 02-10-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my Foden scepticism comes solely from watching him for England.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It genuinely irritates me how wank he is.

A team like:
    Pope
    James
    Stones
    Tomori
    Chilwell
    Rice
    Bellingham
    Foden
    Madison
    Grealish/Sancho
    Kane

is full of quality players who've performed at absolute top club level. They should be playing great football and dicking on most international sides then going out against the very best ones and playing as equals. I mean that would be a genuinely good Champions League team, never mind international football.

Instead we're served up some 6-3-1 formation shitefest and look like we're happy to nick a point or a 1-0 against the likes of Hungary.
    Isn't that more or less exactly the side that played against Germany except you've swapped Maddison for Maguire and changed a couple of defenders?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Isn't that more or less exactly the side that played against Germany except you've swapped Maddison for Maguire and changed a couple of defenders?
    More or less the same side other than swapping a centre back for an attacking midfielder and so being a totally different and much more attacking formation, yeah

The biggest issue with Southgate is not that he picks the wrong players (although he does do that too), it's that he has the best set of attacking/creative players that England have had in our lifetime at his disposal and he sets up to play the worst brand of football I've ever seen. He is totally incapable tactically of giving the incredible talent in the squad the opportunity to actually shine.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just clocked Liverpool’s next two games are Arsenal and Man City. Class, hopefully the run continues.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a pragmatist and while we do have the best array of attacking players in our lifetime, that isn't the case further back, so his style is set up to compensate. If you put someone else in charge (not sure who) you could turn them into a madcap attacking side but that's so much harder to coach when you don't have any time with the players.

The Sven era saw the best all round talent we've had I think, we really should have won Euro 2004.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely. It annoying. When it was getting us to a final, "system over players" was an annoying but understandable evil, but we've been both boring AND shit ever since.

They should get Pochettino in.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    He's a pragmatist and while we do have the best array of attacking players in our lifetime, that isn't the case further back, so his style is set up to compensate. If you put someone else in charge (not sure who) you could turn them into a madcap attacking side but that's so much harder to coach when you don't have any time with the players.

The Sven era saw the best all round talent we've had I think, we really should have won Euro 2004.
    The players further back aren't even bad. In fact the vast majority are very good. Bellingham is absolutely brilliant, Rice is extremely solid as a defensive midfielder, Reece James is quality, Stones manages to play 25+ games a season for one of the best sides on the planet, Tomori is very good (under-rated because he's in Italy). I don't particularly rate Chilwell or Shaw and all the keepers are below the top bracket, but you almost never have 11 world class players in an international team.

Given the talent available the way we play is criminal.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More or less the same side other than swapping a centre back for an attacking midfielder and so being a totally different and much more attacking formation, yeah

The biggest issue with Southgate is not that he picks the wrong players (although he does do that too), it's that he has the best set of attacking/creative players that England have had in our lifetime at his disposal and he sets up to play the worst brand of football I've ever seen. He is totally incapable tactically of giving the incredible talent in the squad the opportunity to actually shine.
    You mentioned your line-up would be a good Champions League team on paper, well so was the one on Monday. I'm just not sure how you expect a team that meet up for about six weeks a year to achieve that sort of level on the pitch.

Being shit and being defensively minded aren't the same thing. I, too, would enjoy it if England played like Potter's Brighton, but I think what he does is a pretty safe bet for getting to the latter stages of a tournament.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been enjoying watching Scotland fans scream Clarke out at the same time as the Southgate out movement. What do the French think of Deschamps? Are there any popular international managers?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should be playing great football.
    Great football doesn't exist at international level. It's a game of moments and individual brilliance.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotland are better than they've been for ages, their fans must be morons.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotland are better than they've been for ages, their fans must be morons.
    @randomlegend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned your line-up would be a good Champions League team on paper, well so was the one on Monday. I'm just not sure how you expect a team that meet up for about six weeks a year to achieve that sort of level on the pitch.

Being shit and being defensively minded aren't the same thing. I, too, would enjoy it if England played like Potter's Brighton, but I think what he does is a pretty safe bet for getting to the latter stages of a tournament.
    Playing six primarily defensive players, as England did against Germany, lessens the potential of the team. Sterling, Maguire and Dier are also all pretty wank.

It's not about "good" or "shit", it's about setting up in a way that gets the most out of the players you have available. Southgate does not do that.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think adding James Maddison into the side is going to have the transformative effect that you think. France won the World Cup with Blaise Matuidi at left wing ffs.

Raheem Sterling is clearly not "wank".

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been enjoying watching Scotland fans scream Clarke out at the same time as the Southgate out movement. What do the French think of Deschamps? Are there any popular international managers?
    Clark has definitely had his ups and downs. At least he seems to learn from his mistakes somewhat though. And finally went back to a 4 and not a 5.

Still needs to prove himself in big matches. Tends to shit himself and shut up shop.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think adding James Maddison into the side is going to have the transformative effect that you think. France won the World Cup with Blaise Matuidi at left wing ffs.

Matuidi was a great player for a few years and was much needed to help Kante covering for Pogba.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about James Madison, it's about not playing 6 defenders and not setting up with no attacking intent whatsoever.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm normally on James' side in these not at all tedious debates but he's being deliberately thick here.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could have been standing up front next to Kane as well. Waiting for a pass from Raheem Stirling, that will never come.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ivan Drago, a man known for winning.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's anything that sums up international football, it's that Norway with Haaland, Odegaard and a pretty solid support cast got nowhere near the World Cup. However, in 1994, Norway reached 3rd in the FIFA rankings while playing 'Drilloball', a form of book-based kick and rush which emphasised hoofing it as quickly as possible, and in the air, to Jostein Flo or another of their innovative wide target men. This ultra-direct approach was grounded in the philosophy that the best way to play football was to get it from back to front as quickly, and with as few touches, as possible. Pity their midfield generals of the era such as Roar Strand (who I always just picture as a Viking warrior in full helmet and garb) and Erik Mykland, the only bearded player at World Cup 1998 - how times change - who spent their working lives as bypassed men.

So yeah, Southgate knows.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any popular international managers?
    Carlos Queiroz.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's anything that sums up international football, it's that Norway with Haaland, Odegaard and a pretty solid support cast got nowhere near the World Cup. However, in 1994, Norway reached 3rd in the FIFA rankings while playing 'Drilloball', a form of book-based kick and rush which emphasised hoofing it as quickly as possible, and in the air, to Jostein Flo or another of their innovative wide target men. This ultra-direct approach was grounded in the philosophy that the best way to play football was to get it from back to front as quickly, and with as few touches, as possible. Pity their midfield generals of the era such as Roar Strand (who I always just picture as a Viking warrior in full helmet and garb) and Erik Mykland, the only bearded player at World Cup 1998 - how times change - who spent their working lives as bypassed men.

So yeah, Southgate knows.
    Our game against them in USA 94 was a crime against the sport.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Ivan Drago, a man known for winning.
    He just made Ten Hag look like Apollo Creed.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brentford did the same months ago.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Carlos Queiroz.
    There are still a minority portion who want us to play expansive football and hold the fact he has never won a tournament or progressed in WC for us against him. Bless their special selves.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just add him to the conveyor belt of future world class full backs born in Scotland. The worlds best at something

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Bale can carry Wales, Haaland should be able to carry Norway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Cook is laughably out of his depth at this level.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This MNF breakdown of the goals with Maddison has been quite excellent. Nice to hear a player talk about the thinking behind what they do.