User Tag List

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks & Shares & that

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a way to argue that.

Look, this is serious business this, I could lose my house . . .

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamblers lose and an index funds returns are negligible unless you're already loaded.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am broadly sticking to big stable companies that pay dividends. I'm comfortable with a few % return on my money, but I did also back Shell and I'm still holding Range Rover in the hope of a bigger return.

From my very quick look at it Shorting is a big no from me. Losing what I invest is a risk I'm willing to take, possibly losing more than that is mental.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've dabbled in sports spread betting before (with tiny amounts), it's basically what Mellin said, a one way ticket to the homeless shelter.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, completely different game. Fuck index funds anyway. If you'd followed the Mellberg fund and moved stop losses when stated you'd be over 100% up so far with zero losses.

And I'm a Brummie ex-con who managed a C in maths. It's not some impenetrable fortress which belongs to the rich. It's on your doorstep and you can trade it. Just do the hard work first and don't be stupid.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 15-12-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s the rebuy point for rolls Royce then?

Seems to back in free fall...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see any short term value in RR. They're moving the whole operation abroad and have announced that they don't expect to be operating as normal for another 5 years.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one at the minute. Definitely not in free fall though. It's still up nearly 60% from 2nd Nov.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mate fancies Aston Martin at the moment as they're apparently about to make some big moves in the EV market. They've had one hell of a fall from grace so far.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooof that's one of the biggest falls I've seen I think: 10,860p to 1628p this year.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Aston Martin's brutal. Probably have a sharesave scheme. If you held you'd be gutted. Shoots of recovery though.

Highs are nearly 340 I think.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ripple

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the story with ripple?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The increased volatility is due to spark tokens and air drops. That rise today was purely technical though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear crypto does this every Christmas.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I swear crypto does this every Christmas.
    This is the first time BTC has ever been over $20k. Pretty huge!
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More people are gambling on crypto, especially Bitcoin. That helps. I have seen people I know in real life talking about it now, where as it used to only be on internet forums.

It is possible to gamble on Crypto and make money, but I don't think you can class it as an investment per se. Even gold, which Crypto true believers dismiss as a useless investment, actually has uses beyond being a valuable precious metal that backs/once backed currency.

The problem with Bitcoin and it's clones are it will never replace currency for a whole host of reasons, so essentially you are playing poker and hoping you fold at the right time because if a whale cashes out their millions the suicide hotline goes up on Reddit, provided the exchanges have the money to actually pay out. Bitcoin doesn't have any actual use, even as a currency (7 transactions per minute lol) except as an investment vehicle.

Good luck to all those 'investing' but I fear for those who bet the farm.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crypto is a bit more useful than people think. It's especially good when it comes to sending money to people in other countries without fees for doing so. If they can find a safe and simple way to do it without fucking about with wallets then they're golden. The trouble is, if they do manage it the banks will just bin their fees and Crypto will go in the bin. They're probably better off staying as they are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of regulation is what made it attractive as an idea I think, but for all the uses an untraceable currency might have, inevitably it becomes nonce coin and when it isn't there's the issue of all the scams (Mt Gox etc).

Edit: I forgot to add the other problem. Say you are sending me some BTC to pay me for something and want to avoid fees. Say you paid me on friday. BTC has jumped massively since then, so I am in the money and you are probably not happy. The volatility isn't conducive to any transaction except cashing out.

Volatility caused purely by people jumping on to get rich quick and others looking to cash out said investment. As I said before, good luck to those gambling on it but I worry about some people I know who have seemingly declared it the new god in their life quite quickly.
    Last edited by Lofty; 17-12-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the big cryptos apparently have uses beyond being currencies. I'll be damned if I can remember which ones do what, but my mate told me at length whilst pissed a couple weeks ago.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a fan of the basic skeleton theory but the fact it's been marketed at [and subsequently jumped on by] a special breed of people, I imagine it won't last.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought and now Bitcoin is the highest it's ever been. Twice I've missed the bus. Although had I got on the first time I was told to I would be a millionaire right now.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's basically a missed Graham horse tip, no biggie.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    That's what I thought and now Bitcoin is the highest it's ever been. Twice I've missed the bus. Although had I got on the first time I was told to I would be a millionaire right now.
    Or lost your millions in one of the countless exchange raids and be bitter about it for the rest of your life.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright Mellers, market is in the shit for obvious reasons. I'm sensing value in haulage? Guide us supreme leader.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching for the time being. Plan is to open a long monthly options contract on an index when the fall finishes. Dax 13k might be a good area. FTSE should show strength soon as the pound is getting butchered.
    Last edited by Mellberg; 21-12-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to trade in this environment use a stop loss. Extremely volatile.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting pretty on AbbVie (and RR still but we won't talk about that) at the moment. It's not doing much, but I'm not touching this shit show on the strength of my own hunches.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RR? I said to close that ages ago

I don't think this is terminal anyway. It's an emotional reaction to extended lockdowns and London being wiped out. Long term it doesn't change much. Be a good buying opportunity soon.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm leaving RR running long term, I think there's plenty of recovery in there and we're only talking about £300 on it.

I'm considering doing the same with Easy Jet. I was going to do Cineworld long term too but I think Netflix has fucked them harder than Covid has so decided against it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to someone the other day about what the appeal is of visiting the cinema nowadays - it's basically down to big sound and fondling your date in the back row. Hard times ahead for them you would have thought unless the industry decides to be far less cynical and vastly improve (and price up) the customer experience, which it won't.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Dax 13101. S/L 13033. First target 13250.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I was talking to someone the other day about what the appeal is of visiting the cinema nowadays - it's basically down to big sound and fondling your date in the back row. Hard times ahead for them you would have thought unless the industry decides to be far less cynical and vastly improve (and price up) the customer experience, which it won't.
    Be interesting to see what effects this has on people's behaviour. Can't see people spending as much money across the board after an initial burst.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellberg View Post
    Long Dax 13101. S/L 13033. First target 13250.
    Took half @ 13181. S/L moved to entry. 250 only other target. Going for a shit.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed teh gamblingz @ 245

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely keeping an eye for a buying opportunity over the next few days/week.

Think this dip gives me a chance to dive in.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    You'll get your yuppie type places like this place near me offering your cinema experiences rather than your multiplex pleb shows.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Definitely keeping an eye for a buying opportunity over the next few days/week.

Think this dip gives me a chance to dive in.
    Yeah, the time is now. Lockdown extension changes nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is still bullish. Yanks are buying already.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I've got an Everyman in my town, you sit there with a pot of hummus while contemplating the sense of irony conceived by the great screen auteurs of the day, and all for the modest price of fifty thousand pounds per adult. No one goes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go because I'm smug.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if people want the trade with limited downside and hypothetically unlimited upside, especially on volatile days like today, you should look at options trading. Only available for indices, commodities and forex, but that's where you should be trading in the main anyway.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been on IPOC for a couple of weeks now and it's starting to pull away this week.

Merger is set to go through on 6th January and things should get lit just before then.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just been looking at VGOV and April 2018 must have made and fucked a lot of people. Mental.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got within spitting distance of the price I bought RR for today so I sold for a few quid loss. It was a simple waiting game before, but with them fucking off over seas and expecting a 5 year recovery period I can't be arsed with it.

Expect them to announce the discovery of a 100% fuel free engine in the morning.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mellers, 212 let's you make pies, so I've set up (but not funded) one with the likes of RR, IAG SE, Aston Martin etc in it. All the shit I could think of, basically. Is there any Others I should have in there?

The plan is to wait until there's some improvement with Covid, then chuck the lot at it and probably end up losing my wife and children.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck is a pie?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically a pie chart that you set the ratio's for. So 20% of X company, 30% of Y, 50% of Z. Then you fund the Pie whenever you want and it splits your investment between the companies at the ratio you selected. It's a maximum of 40 companies, which would obviously be a pain in the arse to fund individualy.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Variety is the spice of life and provided there's no black swan event (dotcom, 2018, covid) you should be okay. If you're looking to hold long term then go for different sectors. It's not really my forte and I don't go looking for such things, but I'd be checking oversold monthly/weekly/daily indicators and sticking them in if they have any kind of supposed strength fundamentally. Would stick a few tourism related shares in there and prop that up with other consistently stronger sectors such as tech. Then hypothetically you have your slow builders as well as something which may rip up over the next 12 months.