Page 153 of 581 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 7,601 to 7,650 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    10% of people that have died from this resided in the UK.

There 7.5 billion people in the world. 66.5 million in the UK. And yet 10% of those dead are from here. That's shit.
    Stop putting percentages and use figures, you're being dramatic like the news.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    Stop putting percentages and use figures, you're being dramatic like the news.
    Because that was the problem with the bit you quoted....

Not that I disagree with Spikey in princple, our approach has been pretty shit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for the avoidance of doubt, 7om's posts typify the issue I have with the cult of science. It's fucking dangerous.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Because that was the problem with the bit you quoted....

Not that I disagree with Spikey in princple, our approach has been pretty shit.
    No, but that comes under scaremongering and twisting things.

For what its worth my father in law is in a care home, yes its a worry but you have to stay positive. The guys an ex para so he's a strong old git.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but that comes under scaremongering and twisting things.
    Using percentages twists things? You've lost me here Bam.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is recognition of the fact that science isn’t a catch all term that gives immediate answers to acute problems fucking dangerous? I think it’s equally baffling how little understanding people have of how hard this situation is. Do you know how long it takes to make a policy in clinical practice or to approve a drug? Years, generations. We’re literally fighting this virus on the fly. But by all means just label everything crap and wrong.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    How is recognition of the fact that science isn’t a catch all term that gives immediate answers to acute problems fucking dangerous? I think it’s equally baffling how little understanding people have of how hard this situation is. Do you know how long it takes to make a policy in clinical practice or to approve a drug? Years, generations. We’re literally fighting this virus on the fly. But by all means just label everything crap and wrong.
    I fear we are talking about different things?

The scientists in question are the ones that have - apparently - shaped our policy. The policies I outlined above. Sorry, but social distancing has been around since atleast the Spanish Flu. It should have been the go to.

I don't think anyone is having a pop at the scientific response with regards to treatment and the lack of effective drugs.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using percentages twists things? You've lost me here Bam.

Or 24k from 65m have died from this in the UK.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which, if you do the same for other countries, is still high. Considering ~5% of our population have had it so far.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of money that this contact tracing app they're launching will be a shitshow.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And/or probably be used to track people and infringe their privacy forever.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which, if you do the same for other countries, is still high. Considering ~5% of our population have had it so far.
    Not that high really though. The UK's death rate is down by 30% from last year.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that high really though. The UK's death rate is down by 30% from last year.
    Ok boomer

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of money that this contact tracing app they're launching will be a shitshow.
    It'll only work for the people who download it and register to it. More knowing what you're doing stuff.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear we are talking about different things?

The scientists in question are the ones that have - apparently - shaped our policy. The policies I outlined above. Sorry, but social distancing has been around since atleast the Spanish Flu. It should have been the go to.

I don't think anyone is having a pop at the scientific response with regards to treatment and the lack of effective drugs.
    I think we are talking about the same thing. I’m tying to demonstrate that science isn’t some term you can use that gives you all the answers straight away and every decision is therefore correct. There are going to be mistakes, miscalculations etc because that is the very nature of what science is. Experimentation.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's fucking dangerous to blindly support what our scientists do just because they're scientists.

I appreciate it's a fucking difficult situation, but here are some things that are not difficult that the government and our scientists fucked up.

Letting the Liverpool match, Cheltenham and various concerts go ahead
    The shambles at our airports - The WHO have a lot to answer for on this one admittedly
    The wasted time fucking around with herd immunity before the lockdown
    Pissing about with a faux lockdown for a week
    Closing pubs on Saturday, but telling people on Friday afternoon that they'd close and asking them nicely not to go
    Face masks - it doesn't matter if the science isn't 100% on this one. Just fucking recommend use of the fuckers. Asia have been fending off pandemics for years now and they're all over them. A lot of Europe are now following suit, but we're still banging out about the science not being clear.
    Being slippery as fuck at best, and downright manipulative with the numbers at worst - And on the back of that claiming our preparedness was exemplar

Just a few things, off the top of my head, that absolutely deserve criticism.

As for the drugs not being ready, I've not criticised that once. I appreciate that stuff takes a huge amount of time and get genuinely annoyed when morons claim we'll have a vaccine by September.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whichever numbers you use, our performance does not look good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we are talking about the same thing. I’m tying to demonstrate that science isn’t some term you can use that gives you all the answers straight away and every decision is therefore correct. There are going to be mistakes, miscalculations etc because that is the very nature of what science is. Experimentation.
    There are times to experiment. With a novel virus, that has already killed en masse and that comes from the same family as SARS and MERS is not that time.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 03-05-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever numbers you use, our performance does not look good.
    Hardly the Spanish flu is it. Which we was all told to believe at the start.

How do you think this will effect the Economy?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be arsed to trundle through every point bring made, but the face masks is a good one. What are the scientists supposed to do there? Recommend them? How do you think you arrive at recommendations? Via evidence. If the evidence is unclear or doesn't support the use of them, why would they be recommended?

And I don't give a fuck what the precedent is in Asia. These are the people who use acupuncture, traditional medicine and witchcraft to treat disease, so I think I'll refrain from following their practices until theyre proven effective.

But that's my point. It may look slow or dithering or incompetent but the reality is certain measures have or haven't been recommended because of the evidence behind them. At the minute, the amount of concrete evidence supporting anything is minimal.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardly the Spanish flu is it. Which we was all told to believe at the start.

How do you think this will effect the Economy?
    It isn't the Spanish Flu yet because the world's locked down.

And it's going to fuck it, fuck it badly. For years.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be arsed to trundle through every point bring made, but the face masks is a good one. What are the scientists supposed to do there? Recommend them? How do you think you arrive at recommendations? Via evidence. If the evidence is unclear or doesn't support the use of them, why would they be recommended?

And I don't give a fuck what the precedent is in Asia. These are the people who use acupuncture, traditional medicine and witchcraft to treat disease, so I think I'll refrain from following their practices until theyre proven effective.

But that's my point. It may look slow or dithering or incompetent but the reality is certain measures have or haven't been recommended because of the evidence behind them. At the minute, the amount of concrete evidence supporting anything is minimal.
    And that's my point. Why would you wait until you have concrete evidence, most of the rest of the world is now using them and it stands to reason that they would be of some benefit. Hell, I think the have even said that they help prevent people who have it to stop spreading it as much and we're still dithering, until THE SCIENCE proves it conclusively.

It's just poor. As were the other things on the list.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't the Spanish Flu yet because the world's locked down.

And it's going to fuck it, fuck it badly. For years.

It's not because its not a complete killer. That's why everyone needs to get back to work, fuck this bollocks.

Respect it but don't be an idiot about it

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not because its not a complete killer. That's why everyone needs to get back to work, fuck this bollocks.

Respect it but don't be an idiot about it
    Nobody ever said it was a complete killer. And neither was the Spanish Flu.

If normal life resumes and stays resumed a fuckton more people will die, which will make the 28,000 recorded so far look like a stubbed toe.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @7om where are you living these days? I assume you're not in China any more?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    @7om where are you living these days? I assume you're not in China any more?
    I'm in Exeter now.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many masks have you gone through Yevrah?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    How many masks have you gone through Yevrah?
    None.

Your point, please?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that's my point. Why would you wait until you have concrete evidence, most of the rest of the world is now using them and it stands to reason that they would be of some benefit. Hell, I think the have even said that they help prevent people who have it to stop spreading it as much and we're still dithering, until THE SCIENCE proves it conclusively.

It's just poor. As were the other things on the list.
    Because if you don't have evidence you end up talking shit like Trump. How about we all go on a diet of vitamin d pills and only wank once a week? No, because there's no evidence supporting that either.

It's not dithering, it's making decisions that are best for people based on the information available.

I think we're going around in circles now though.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you bought enough food to ride out the end of the world but haven't bothered with masks? Asia have been fending off pandemics for years now and they're all over them.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody ever said it was a complete killer. And neither was the Spanish Flu.
    You shit the pants early doors ffs.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shit the pants early doors ffs.
    I mean, I didn't, but you keep telling yourself that.

I just took a pandemic seriously.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you bought enough food to ride out the end of the world but haven't bothered with masks? Asia have been fending off pandemics for years now and they're all over them.
    I've been out three times since the week before lockdown started, to the shop down the road and back.

And I bought enough food for about 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has probably thrown most f that food away now.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been out three times since the week before lockdown started, to the shop down the road and back.

And I bought enough food for about 2 weeks.
    Well done.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done.
    Are you incapable of reading and understanding context?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're the prick that has hidden under his poxy bed. Grow the fuck up, you must be near 40 now.

Manchild.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three trips, three masks. Why take the risk?

My guess would be that in ninety per cent of environments/situations masks will make no difference, so, on balance, accounting for things like people already not liking half of these measures and the tendency of idiots to panic hoard all manner of shite, they decided that recommending masks would just be a waste of time and also a severe misallocation of resources.

'BREAKING: Pointless government mask recommendations have exacerbated NHS PPE crisis, wise-after-the-event cunts claim.'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're the prick that has hidden under his poxy bed. Grow the fuck up, you must be near 40 now.

Manchild.
    By hid under his bed do you mean stayed indoors? What would a real man have done? Died like your father in law is probably about to while his thick as fuck son in law thinks he'll be fine because he served in the para's?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By hid under his bed do you mean stayed indoors? What would a real man have done? Died like your father in law is probably about to while his thick as fuck son in law thinks he'll be fine because he served in the para's?
    You are some sort of cunt, different league sort of stuff this. Go back to your bed wetting. wanker.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that short for Paralympics?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three trips, three masks. Why take the risk?

My guess would be that in ninety per cent of environments/situations masks will make no difference, so, on balance, accounting for things like people already not liking half of these measures and the tendency of idiots to panic hoard all manner of shite, they decided that recommending masks would just be a waste of time and also a severe misallocation of resources.

'BREAKING: Pointless government mask recommendations have exacerbated NHS PPE crisis, wise-after-the-event cunts claim.'
    Yeah, they need to manage it properly. But other countries seem to be doing this fine, so I don't know why we're immune.

And I absolutely think part of it is down to them not wanting to take resources away from the NHS, but just say that rather than coming up with some bullshit about them not being effective because people put their hands under them.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bye, unlike you I have work tomorrow.

Carry on with your 2.5k a month.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are some sort of cunt, different league sort of stuff this. Go back to your bed wetting. wanker.
    Oh, so you expect to dish it out with impunity and then can't take it when someone responds in a similar way.

Actions of a real man that, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bye, unlike you I have work tomorrow.

Carry on with your 2.5k a month.
    I've been working the entire time.

For someone who seems to stalk me on here you should probably learn to read. It might give you a chance of not looking like a complete twat.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This page.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Exeter now.
    Still married?

I only ask because this reads a bit 'went through a bitter divorce':

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This page

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged