User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will receive your vote?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theresa May's Conservatives

10 22.73%
  • Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

23 52.27%
  • Tim Farron's Liberal Democrats

3 6.82%
  • Paul Nuttall's UKIP

0 0%
  • 2 people's Greens

1 2.27%
  • Nicholas Durgeon's Scottish Nationalists

1 2.27%
  • Satan's Sinn Fein

0 0%
  • Dr Ian Paisley's DUP

0 0%
  • Some other bunch of nonces

2 4.55%
  • I'm foreign, but I wish I were an Englishman

4 9.09%
Page 256 of 261 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,800 of 13025

Thread: UK General Election 2017 - 8 June

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I correct in thinking a 2025 GE is a real possibility?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't January '25 the latest it could possibly be? However the mechanics of it work - calling it the day that Parliament goes on holiday for Christmas or something?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Am I correct in thinking a 2025 GE is a real possibility?
    I think it's all but nailed on. They have until early next year to hold it, and I imagine they will want a nice long run up to try to fling as much shit as they can at Labour. (Doesn't Starmer look stupid eating a battered sausage? Lolol)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be first half of October I think. January would be insanity, campaign over Christmas and then a 14-year sitting government getting people to vote at peak 'fresh start' time. November has the vote in the new world and they won't want to look like Trump's useless equivalent.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    October or December, for sure I'd say. Get it done before the Yanks do, or once the hubbub there has died down.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ection-defeats

Some incredible barrel scraping here.

Rishi Sunak: “At the next election, I will need the support of everyone who wants lower taxes and secure borders because the alternative, Keir Starmer, believes in neither of those things.”

Also Rishi Sunak: was the Chancellor that introduced record high tax rates, is the PM that is overseeing record high immigration.

These charlatans are so done.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68354377

This feels to me like quite a big story, especially when you read into it elsewhere (BBC is such low calibre reporting these days) and discover that among the things he highlights are only 21% of private jet arrivals being screened by the border agency. That strikes me as utterly insane.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of cloak and dagger stuff going on today. SNP drafted a pretty explosive amendment to the Gaza vote in parliament, which was, you don't have to be too cynical to conclude, an attempt to plant a bomb under their Scottish rivals Labour, who drafted a much milder one. Labour MPs pleaded with the Speaker to select their amendment instead of the SNP one, on the basis that if Labour MPs were forced to vote against the SNP amendment (which calls for a cease fire among other things) they would face Muslim death threats for having done so. The Speaker duly chose the Labour amendment and now faces fury from the Tories, who accused him of favouritism.

Tories and SNP have clearly done a backstairs deal to try and embarrass Labour, which is of course in their mutual interest. SNP face a Labour surge in Scotland and also desperately need Tories to cling on to government if they are ever going to get another shot at independence. All this over a war / humanitarian crisis thousands of miles away. Grubby, grubby stuff.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the same token, breaking with convention to save your own future job and/or your side of politics a bit questionable too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The madness of it all being I don't know a single voter personally who gives a flying fuck about any of it in regards to the polls.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    By the same token, breaking with convention to save your own future job and/or your side of politics a bit questionable too.
    Yep. It's the perfect example of literally everyone involved doing things for the wrong reasons. It's not even on a topic that this country or its parliament can actually make any difference to, either, it's all just about posturing and people's reputations.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is this going to play out then? Government defeats Labour amendment forcing a vote on the unamended Praise to Hamas down with Israel War Crime SNP text, which Labour probably won't support [is that the plan?], that also gets defeated and the government amendment carries the day with whatever piss and wind platitudes they're pedaling? All of which means the square root of fuck all as Israel aren't listening to America, so they sure as shit aren't listening to anyone else. Another good day for Parliamentary democracy. Peerages all round.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can read into it is SNP desperation, so I imagine it will end with them going away blowing up with rage and declaring that Scotland is the home of a kinder, gentler politics where people care about the plight of the Gazans. Which is second prize to forcing Labour MPs to vote against their amendment, but still useful and will play well up in noddy land.

Why the Tories are scheming with them is anyone's guess.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 21-02-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same reason The Sun is pro Tory and The Scottish Sun is pro SNP.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is?

(bet you a tenner the Sun backs Labour in this year's election, btw)

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse an ignorant question here, but if the Scots don't want independence(they voted against it by a fair bit) then why is the SNP still a thing? Is it more of a 'we dunnae want ya English parties up here thanks pal' situation?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a referendum winning popular mandate to sweep the board in FPTP elections.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SNP would argue (backed up by many polls since the referendum, though less so recently) that Scots do want independence. Their best argument for this is that the Brexit referendum, in which Scotland voted Remain but Britain as a whole voted Leave, fundamentally changed the terms of the question.

However, with Sturgeon having been forced to resign last year they are not really the force they once were. Various problems are coming to light around their governance of Scotland over the last decade and a bit, and they are likely to lose some national MPs at the coming election to a resurgent Labour. I'm not really sure what their prospects are at the next devolved election, that is a bit of a law unto itself.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, seems like things went a bit mad after I gave up paying attention.

Funny if this ends up toppling the speaker, seeing as he only did it to keep his job in the long term.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tories might want to be careful what they wish for here, because Hoyle was/is fucking useless at holding them to account.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Which is?

(bet you a tenner the Sun backs Labour in this year's election, btw)
    Labour can't win power without Scotland so keeping the SNP in across the border benefits the Tories.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol out loud at the MPs claiming that them and their families, staff, etc. are being threatened by pro-Palestine types. Good. Lay in your well-shitted bed you cunts.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starmer's leadership / prime ministership will likely be defined by how he deals with the mob. Pre-Blair Labour was a patriotic party and would have told them to piss off months ago, but this lot need the suburban mullahs to prop up their party structures, as well as some woolly, fantastical version of multiculturalism being in their political DNA.

Really he should be taking a hard line with both Israel (to hell with the yanks) and the mob. Much too cautious and lawyerly to do either, though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just blow up the Commons with them all in it. Fucking embarrassing what went on last night.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how Guy Fawkes has gone from a terrorist to a national hero since I was a kid.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't really too interested in this shambles of last night but it seems it's driven by some sort of support towards Israel.

This thread made me lol.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Lee Anderson comments on Sadiq are something. They'd fucking chop his balls off if he said that exact stuff about Jews.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have to find examples of Teachers in hiding from Jewish Schools, or Charlie Hebdo style shootings to be able to make the same kind of comments.

The speaker of the house broke parliamentary rules because:

"“I never want to go through a situation where I find a friend from any side has been murdered, I also don’t want another attack on this House,” Hoyle said, adding that he has seen evidence of “absolutely frightening” threats made to MPs because of their stance on the war in Gaza."

Now, obviously, that wasn't exclusively Muslims. There's the gAyS fOr gAzA and various other far-left weirdo's tagging along. Granted. But it remains somewhat of a trend.

#RIPDavidAmess

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    You'd have to find examples of Teachers in hiding from Jewish Schools, or Charlie Hebdo style shootings to be able to make the same kind of comments.

The speaker of the house broke parliamentary rules because:

"“I never want to go through a situation where I find a friend from any side has been murdered, I also don’t want another attack on this House,” Hoyle said, adding that he has seen evidence of “absolutely frightening” threats made to MPs because of their stance on the war in Gaza."

Now, obviously, that wasn't exclusively Muslims. There's the gAyS fOr gAzA and various other far-left weirdo's tagging along. Granted. But it remains somewhat of a trend.

#RIPDavidAmess
    Abysmal post from all angles. Have a peak into the Hassidic Jewish community on the first point and I think almost literally 10 thousand Charlie Hebdo's have happened isince October and if those don't count I'm sure I can find a Jewish person who did something bad using his religion to justify his actions. Then you go onto call everyone who supports Palestine homosexual like that's something to be ashamed of. Have a look in the mirror. Absolutely dog shit posting and you should be ashamed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strong rebuttal.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, after 20 years I may have made my first good post.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've no idea what 50p Lee said, but the idea that this has morphed into a debate on MPs safety, when that was very clearly not the motivation for what went down in Parliament, and that now the government/whoever is criticizing the speaker for bowing to extremists rather than acting in naked self-interest is beyond lol. I assume these attack lines were drawn up previously on the assumption that it would be Labour bowing to the extremists by not backing the SNP's motion and so they are having to be used anyway because most members of the government aren't able to sustain more than one line of thinking at any given time, if they can even manage that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure desperation from a Government that sees the writing on the wall. Having to go after Reform supporters shows how tinpot they’ve become.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For once Taz wasn't exaggerating. "“I heard some of the comments Suella [Braverman] made earlier this week, and I don’t necessarily believe that these Islamists have got control of our country, but what I do believe is they’ve got control of Khan and they’ve got control of London, and they’ve got control of Starmer as well."

“People are just turning up in their thousands and doing anything they want, and they are laughing at our police, and it’s absolutely disgusting"

“This stems with Khan, he’s actually given out our capital city away to his mates, we’ve got Starmer there doing nothing – he's more interested in getting into Number 10 and giving our country away than actually looking after our country.”

Nice to know that 'Islamists' are operating a County Lines policy as well. Really foul stuff.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee Anderson is stupid to route his point through Sadiq, presumably because there is an (unwinnable) election coming up, but if we pretend that the Islamist mob and their fellow travellers are not a problem for democracy then we're just causing our own future downfall. Muslims are British citizens first (whatever they might think) and do not deserve special treatment as they currently receive. Jo Cox is murdered? Rise of the far right. David Amess is murdered? Online safety bill! It will have to stop at some point, so politicians would be wise to temper it themselves.

I am in favour of Reform. They are absolutely needed. The current iteration of the Tories speak only for corporate interests. Labour speak for identity groups and the cultural establishment. Lib Dems speak for rich prats with a high opinion of themselves. Who speaks for the millions of poor whites, particularly along the east coast and in certain other pockets, who are completely disowned by all of the above? That's what Reform do.

And obviously, if you are wanting to represent people in Parliament you have to be brave enough to take on difficult people, as Cox and Amess no doubt were. It's not a creche.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 24-02-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does sort of feel like some Lynton Crosby big brain type pushing a politics of division and extremism is the new black line, overlooking the fact that whilst Britain is a predominantly conservative country, it is very small c and not at all disposed to the type of hyperbolic outrage that stokes our brothers across the pond - mainly because we have practically no meaningful religious lobby, other than the 'Islamists', natch.

Yet another lasting effect of not understanding at all what motivated Brexit and all that - or at least what created the small majority for it.

I have a reasonable amount of faith the the electorate will deliver the sort of crushing blow to this line of thinking that will see the likes of Braverman et al reduced to the sidelines at best for the next era of politics.

Labour should be delivering for the poor communities.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Labour should be delivering for the poor communities.
    Should be, but aren't. The old coalfields all voting Tory in 2019 tells you how bad things have got. Starmer knows he needs those votes back hence the union jacks everywhere and middle of the road rhetoric that former Corbyn supporters find so upsetting about his leadership. In reality though the Gordon Brown 'bigoted woman' line in Rochdale continues to echo through history in terms of the professional class's attitude to the less educated.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask what ‘the cultural establishment’ is?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got to go to work so sadly I can’t go point by point on how Reforms ‘speaking for the people’ is total bollocks but hopefully I can get back and make my second good post.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably doesn't need most of those votes back if Reform slice through the Tory vote, should be able to fall back on the traditional rump who will always vote red. Also, the amount of voter remorse for 2019 Tory voting must be at historic levels.

2019 was still fertile Boris, Brexit and thumbs down to the establishment in those sorts of areas, but has 14 years of Conservative government really done anything for them other than allowing corrupt local mayors to waste enormous amounts of public money on either doomed schemes or schemes which in no way benefit anyone other than their 'private partners'?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sneaky edit. Naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Abysmal post from all angles. Have a peak into the Hassidic Jewish community on the first point and I think almost literally 10 thousand Charlie Hebdo's have happened since October
    Sources please? If Jewish people are shooting western journalists for drawing cartoons, then this is news to me.

I'm sure I can find a Jewish person who did something bad using his religion to justify his actions.
    I'm sure you could, but I'm not sure what that has to do anything. I'm not saying that Muslims are bad people. Just that there is a problematic fringe. Is the same true of other groups? Sure. Football fans, the far right, the far left, you name it.

Then you go onto call everyone who supports Palestine homosexual like that's something to be ashamed of.
    No. I didn't. I just pointed at the GaYs fOr GaZa AND "various other far-left weirdo's". You have a habit of deliberately misrepresentating what people say. you should be ashamed.

To make myself clear, the issue I have with what Taz said, is that you wouldn't get away with saying it about Jews. Which is laughable.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there’s no taboo when saying that the financial capital of the country is controlled by ‘the Jews’. Shift starts in 10 minutes. I’ll follow up with the references on the rest of your questions later.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have Phonics becoming a Nazi on my 2024 Bingo Card.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you talking about? Taz said 'They'd fucking chop his balls off if he said that exact stuff about Jews.' and you said 'Well the Muslims kind of deserve it' and I pointed out how ludicrous a statement that is by applying the exact same statement to Jewish people and you called me a Nazi.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yet people do say it, all the time, with their private parts remaining untouched. So it looks like you can say shit about Jews, eh?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spikey, you okay bro? Two outrageously odd posts.

The comparisons between those comments around "Islamists" and the Jews are simply pointing to the very common racist stereotype that portrays the filthy hasidic cunts as wielding undue power and influence. Where the fuck are you coming from denying or taking the other side to that?

Islamophobia and anti-Semitism are the same thing, get this clear. You seem to be suggesting the muzzies are ahead in the race to harm the lovely society your people have built so the comparison can't be made? That in itself is debatable but right wingers are driving vans through crowds, stabbing up people and burning down immigration centres fuelled by the kind of rampant Islamophobia we're now seeing from Anderson, Braverman, etc.

Lay down your arms and join us in lolling at the madness of the times.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I'm sure if the former Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party said such a thing everyone would be just dandy with it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Spikey, you okay bro?
    For the last time, no.

The comparisons between those comments around "Islamists" and the Jews are simply pointing to the very common racist stereotype that portrays the filthy hasidic cunts as wielding undue power and influence. Where the fuck are you coming from denying or taking the other side to that?
    On this we are in agreement. Which is why I find it odd that you would say that you'd have your bollocks ripped off for saying the same about Jews. People do say it. Loudly.

Islamophobia and anti-Semitism are the same thing, get this clear. You seem to be suggesting the muzzies are ahead in the race to harm the lovely society your people have built so the comparison can't be made?
    Nope. Simply that such attitudes are thrown at Jews all the time, to say otherwise in disingenuous, and that there is a problem with violence on the fringes.

As for the downfall of our lovely society, that's just capitalism being "completed it m8" by the super-rich. There's the same problems all across the west. Growing inequality will only see the Far Left and the Far Right increase in popularity in response. Leading to:

right wingers are driving vans through crowds, stabbing up people and burning down immigration centres fuelled by the kind of rampant Islamophobia we're now seeing from Anderson, Braverman, etc.
    That.

If I've misunderstood your "couldn't say it about the Jews" line, then I think we are mostly on the same page.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I be pointed to these people in power that say such things loudly?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get back to work.