User Tag List

Thread: What's in my House?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in my House?

This will sadly not be as good as the rat thread, but as the collective mind of TTH helped solve that one I thought I'd put you all to work here.

So my house is making me ill, or to be more precise, causing me to break out in hives/welts/itchy as fuck things on my arms/shoulders, legs and sides.

I've had this for about three months now on and off and after ruling out actual diseases/fad allergies one by one some extended time away from home due to work made me realise there's something within these four walls that's poisoning me. I originally thought last week that it was dust mites, so out went the old upholstery and the place was cleaned from top to bottom (including carpets being steam cleaned), but 5 days on from that and it's still happening with a fresh round of the above on my right shoulder and left arm today.

Some more googling suggests it might be mould, but I can neither see nor smell any signs of the stuff so I'm reaching the point of being genuinely stumped by this and it's making just living life a right pain in the arse, or an itch in the arm/leg/shoulder if you will.

So... any ideas?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you have worms?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bed bugs.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scruffy get.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rats are back and they're pissing and shitting on and in your walls.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Maybe you have worms?
    Fucking hell, that looks utterly grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Bed bugs.
    You can see those, right? I can't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Scruffy get.
    I do seem to be somewhat cursed by the scruffiness of others causing me grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Rats are back and they're pissing and shitting on and in your walls.
    As was demonstrated with the two rat debacles.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some shit about some guy being allergic to stuff that comes out of air freshener.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Fucking hell, that looks utterly grim.

You can see those, right? I can't see anything.

I do seem to be somewhat cursed by the scruffiness of others causing me grief.

As was demonstrated with the two rat debacles.
    Bed bugs can be seen but they hide. Check your mattress, especially all the cracks and crevices around the mattress. Plus the headboard.

I don't think it's bed bugs by your description because bed bugs will bite in a ladder pattern (3/4 bites running up your arms/legs/whatever) and the bites are incredibly itchy.

Bed bugs are right cunts and they're easy to identify, if you haven't spotted one for 3/4 months (sometimes they're brazen and will even come out whilst you're awake on the mattress) and the bites don't line up then you haven't got them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your house poorly ventilated? Set up a dehumidifier in your most commonly used rooms and see what it draws in.

And give your bedding a good hot wash just to rule out mites.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sat in a traffic jam on the A127 earlier, with the stench of Barking still fresh in my nostrils, listing to this. Coincidence? I think not. RIP.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I own has been washed at 60 degrees and I've not seen a single bed bug despite looking for them, so I don't think it's them or mites. Which is a shame in a way as had it been I'd have sorted it.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have mice. I'd just gave up trying to find where they're getting in and bought more traps, but now something is eating the mice in the traps

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the doctor?

What did you do to rule out allergies?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I still have mice. I'd just gave up trying to find where they're getting in and bought more traps, but now something is eating the mice in the traps
    Buy some ferret traps.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still mice I would think, they aren't picky. My mother, an otherwise intelligent woman, said to me today without a hint of irony that 'something was getting into the garage and eating all the rat poison'.
    Last edited by Disco; 21-11-2023 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Go to the doctor?

Went to the doctors a few weeks ago and they gave me some antibiotics which did nothing, since ascertaining it's something in my house I've booked another appointment but that isn't until the week after next as I didn't like to say it was an emergency to get a quicker one as it manifestly isn't.

Bar hayfever and only then in Oxford I've never had an allergy in my life. A life that's included eating all manner of different food from across the globe and regularly changing my washing powder as I just buy whatever the cheapest bulk buy one is. I'm obviously allergic to something here, but it's specifically only here as when I'm away with work for a prolonged period of time it clears up and no new spots develop. Which took a while to work out, admittedly.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disco's beaten me to it, but it'll definitely be other mice. Rats will even gnaw a limb off to get out of a trap.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't heard too much commotion at least. I've 7 bait boxes around the perimeter and another 4 in the sheds that I have to fill fortnightly (slugs love that shit too). Joys of living between a river and a bog.

Can't think what yours would be when you've done the bedding on a hot wash.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. It's perplexing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you bought any new clothes that haven't been washed yet? A dressing gown, blanket, coat or something that you only throw on occasionally?

I remember reading about a kid that got a new dress and came up in a nasty rash because it wasn't washed before they wore it and it had some nasty chemicals in it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Have you bought any new clothes that haven't been washed yet? A dressing gown, blanket, coat or something that you only throw on occasionally?

I remember reading about a kid that got a new dress and came up in a nasty rash because it wasn't washed before they wore it and it had some nasty chemicals in it.
    Nope, definitely not that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time this has happened to me it was new bedding I hadn't washed before putting it on the bed. Was a chemical or something.

You've checked the sofa fabric or whatever else you sit on? Cleared the duvet nest?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Go to the doctor?

Get on my app Harvey, you riddled cunt.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to the doctors a few weeks ago and they gave me some antibiotics which did nothing, since ascertaining it's something in my house I've booked another appointment but that isn't until the week after next as I didn't like to say it was an emergency to get a quicker one as it manifestly isn't.

Bar hayfever and only then in Oxford I've never had an allergy in my life. A life that's included eating all manner of different food from across the globe and regularly changing my washing powder as I just buy whatever the cheapest bulk buy one is. I'm obviously allergic to something here, but it's specifically only here as when I'm away with work for a prolonged period of time it clears up and no new spots develop. Which took a while to work out, admittedly.
    Change your washing powder back to whatever you were using prior to the issue, Phineas Fogg.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Change your washing powder back to whatever you were using prior to the issue, Phineas Fogg.
    I'm in my forties, I've used every type of washing powder going, multiple times, before any of this kicked off, it is absolutely not that.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hotels I'm staying in when away with work (and this clears up) aren't washing my clothes while I'm there either.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's coeliac disease, mate. Get to your GP.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been tested for rabies?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you have scabies.
    @Yevrah

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in my forties, I've used every type of washing powder going, multiple times, before any of this kicked off, it is absolutely not that.
    Forgot to respond to this but I didn't experience hayfever until I was in my mid 30s, life's a bitch, you can just become allergic to something one day unfortunately.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, ruled that out pretty quickly on the basis I haven't given it to anyone else and the reaction didn't look like that.

As for an update, it's some form of mite though, I'm as certain as one can be without actually seeing the bastards (which is also why it isn't bed bugs). I only managed to establish this by getting rid of all of my soft furnishings and whatever was causing it has now stopped. An expensive ballache that's for sure and I'm now living like a first year student and will be until I'm certain it's safe to get new furniture in. I'm planning to move this year though as I'll be pretty close to, if not fully, mortgage free if I do, which given interest rates seems like a no brainer, so it may mean I don't bother replacing it.

@ niko.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Forgot to respond to this but I didn't experience hayfever until I was in my mid 30s, life's a bitch, you can just become allergic to something one day unfortunately.
    Thankfully it wasn't the start of allergies. Well, unless being allergic to some form of microscopic organism counts.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does. Pussy.