User Tag List

Page 197 of 236 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,850 of 11773

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is fucking loads. Basically we're looking at 3 trips per year of about 3 weeks each, all to Central/South America/Caribbean (and by Caribbean I'm not talking a 2 week all inclusive at Sandy Lane, I'm talking ducking and diving in the Dominican Republic and Guyana). Economy flights.

Essentially I'm inheriting another man's career.

In my heart I don't want it, I just need to develop the courage to abandon the 5 years I have built up here.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sixth of a year, so yeah. I don't think 17k would be enough for me to do it. Maybe if I was already on a decent wage, but considering they're currently robbing you blind, half of that 17k is just bumping you up to where you should be if you were just sat in the office doing 9-5.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the memoirs.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I met the sales director.

He says they'll be kicking the old man out within 12 months, and after that I would (on current figures) be in line to earn £17k commission on top of my existing salary with this 8-10 weeks of travel per year.

He was really good about it but I'm not sure if that adds up. I now have a massive decision to make and about 1-2 days to make it, as the contract offer is coming apparently.
    Sounds very much like a promise that might never materialise.

You can always sign the contract and keep looking for other stuff though.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While he may or may not genuinely believe the old guy will be gone within the year, he's what, 79? If he's doing it at 79 he'll be there at 80 unless he conks out. If he was going to retire and walk away he'd have done it by now.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're going to force him out (according to the sales director).

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After tax that commission works out at, what, £150 extra for each night away on them silly cunt jollies? And that's if you get ten weeks away, and if current figures remain. I would be wanting most of that in regular salary.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. In my mind I was thinking if we're going somewhat over fifty plus commission opportunities of whatever, then it could be worth it. But at these figures, I think El Salvador might have to struggle on without me. I just need to build up the courage to actually bosh them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d sign the contract and then just look for something else.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my heart I don't want it, I just need to develop the courage to abandon the 5 years I have built up here.
    You wouldn't be abandoning it, merely transferring it to another company who'll be paying you for it anyway in the form of an increased salary.

By all means sign the contract in 2 days as (as long as the notice period/non compete clauses aren't ridiculous) it doesn't mean anything anyway, but £17k commission (and no increase in salary) sounds like a piss take for 20% of the year on economy flights in banana republics.

Feeds into the theory the old boy was trying to make you look like you couldn't cope with the schedule if he's clocked they want him out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also, what the hell is that man doing still working at 79? He's taking some serious bungs in these places, right?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the key bit obviously. However:

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    This, surely? Or are you either not wanting to lead them astray (for what it's worth, they and basically any other company would happily lead you astray if it suited them) or worried if you sign you'll just commit to the bit and not leave?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I sign the contract then I'm going to Central America in May with a man who knows he's being sacked and I'm taking his job.

It's either sign a contract I'm happy to fulfil, or don't sign it.

Can't remember being this racked/wracked (can't even spell ffs) with stress and doubt and indecision in my life.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £17k (take home or gross?) for that amount of time away feels like a pisstake. Especially as it'll be on the assumption you work eight days a week whilst you're out there

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you can spend 4 of those 10 weeks on a beach in Jamaica and not tell them?

Will you get to build your own itinerary?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanted to be properly ruthless then you’d leverage the time to swan in with your new job offer elsewhere at the point where they had already cut ties with the old boy and you can get proper terms, or leave.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say so. Consider those are three 19-day trips a year. Ask yourself, could you do what you've just done .... three times a year. Every year. Forever.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d turn it down and tell them you need a big salary bump and more commission. You clearly don’t want to do it, so see just how much they really need you.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're going to force him out (according to the sales director).
    They thought they were pulling the rug on all the senior men until the arab's dad jedi mind tricked them, not the most shrewd negotiators.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if all the travel and weekend work was given back, or paid extra. And even at that it’s only barely worth it. And even further at that, it’s still only an empty promise.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d honestly get looking asap. Sign if you need to secure things short term but you’re obviously a skilled man at what you do so you need to sell that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ok short term, and the CV has gone out. Weirdly I had a chat with the Russian on the way out. He says in his view travelling is a bonus and he's done it for years with no extra pay or commission. Those Russians.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes it easier for them to spy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s probably the reason you’ll need to move on. There’s an unfortunate amount of individuals who are willing to do unreasonable things on unreasonable terms for obscure reasons that benefit the company.

This company is searching for a cohort of those individuals.

Good you’re putting the feelers out.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if the travelling gave you enough time to actually see a bit of the places you're going to then that would be one thing (still not enough, but it'd be something) but that you're just racing around to fit in as many of these backwater weirdos as possible in a short space of time just makes it sound hellish.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Sounds very much like a promise that might never materialise.

This.

Tell them to fuck right off.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm ok short term, and the CV has gone out. Weirdly I had a chat with the Russian on the way out. He says in his view travelling is a bonus and he's done it for years with no extra pay or commission. Those Russians.
    Surely depends where you’re going.
    I'm a twit

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Nah, any long distance work trip which might be fun at first would surely become monotonous after a few repetitions.

I think if Jim hands in his notice (once he has a new job) they will counter offer him so fast. Far more hassle to train someone nee up, especially if the current one is extremely competent.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Jimmy's the only Spanish speaker they've got.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally back, the final verdict.

Paraguay: an unredeemable shithole that has no aspirations to improve itself and is very happy making its living off importing contraband goods from Brazil. Do not go there, it's a toilet and you'll need the toilet.
    Imagine having to go for a week each year to a place which first time around gave this impression.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Yes it does - if it was Europe on the same terms I'd probably do it, or at least would be far more likely to do it. Ironically the schmos in the office who have no languages and frankly are less able than me are being given markets like Norway and so on - sure they'll make less money, but they also won't have to do transatlantic flights with children shitting in their lap.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salesman of the year over here was given the reception of a king, wined and dined to his heart's content everywhere he went, and has the audacity to complain. Enjoy your corporate park in that gloomy hellhole of yours for $1k a year more.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang on. Did you actually shit yourself out there?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to run for it in Montevideo airport, but after that I had control.

I don't know if you've ever been outside the west, but the shits are basically unavoidable if you're there for more than a few days.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can confirm. 'The shits' were common occurrence in my youth. Nothing to worry about though. Like the common cold but even shorter lasting.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is fucking loads. Basically we're looking at 3 trips per year of about 3 weeks each, all to Central/South America/Caribbean (and by Caribbean I'm not talking a 2 week all inclusive at Sandy Lane, I'm talking ducking and diving in the Dominican Republic and Guyana). Economy flights.

Essentially I'm inheriting another man's career.

The Sandy Lane is the greatest place on earth. If you negotiate for them to stick you there, I say go for it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The universe, clearly enjoying my plight, has decided to draw me against the MD at lunchtime today in the company table tennis tournament.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smash him. Assert your dominance.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy's place having a table tennis tournament isn't what I expected. Isn't that time you could be spending flogging more engines / hating your job?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ping Pong*

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It started while I was away and I somehow got auto-entered into it due to not being there to say no. Games played in the lunch break obvs.

There are 56 players drawn into 14 groups of 4, sounds like something Infantino would come up with. Didn't even know we had 56 staff members tbh. Most of the results so far involve small women being smashed by large men.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last bit makes it sound like a lads night out with Lofty.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V surprised by how many people haven't turned in today. How's morale on the picket line? @Don

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a top week working at home, WFH 4 days a week rather than the usual 2 thanks to the bravery of those dossers at TFL.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is hard work to even casually look for a job while in a job. I submit my name to a couple of jobs and a few recruiter sites and I immediately get like 8 phone calls a day which I can't possibly pick up in the office.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recruiters are so fucking annoying. They always want to get you on the phone.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine wanting to speak to someone you're trying to find a job for. Subhuman scum.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're right to phone me, I just literally can't talk, or at least not more than 1-2 times a day.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very serious competition has opened up shop merely a stones throw away recently and has slowly been poaching staff from our place. The response has been to plug the gaps with agency workers, because core staff is a massive struggle for them to find now. Though even that has been drying up lately.

It all came to a head yesterday. We're short on staff big time. Add in that I know several people who are currently working notice periods too, it's only going to get worse. Once the agency staff get a look at the place most lol and walk away too. Speaking to the training team, they reckon 40 agency guys are sent each week and by the time inductions and orientation have taken place, you'll be lucky to have 5 left.

There was mass panic yesterday, which involved anyone who was physically able being sent down from offices above to muck in with the common folk. So of course they were delighted to hear that because of the school strikes I can't turn in on Wednesday and Thursday of this week either.
    I'm not sure how many other people there have also been affected, but any more losses to their numbers at this time will have alarms blaring.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our call centre staff had a team meeting this morning so for 2 hours we had to fill in for them. Brutal. I don't know how people do this stuff as a job. 2 hours of people pissing and moaning while I call around trying to find out who they need to actually talk to.