User Tag List

Page 10 of 234 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The All New Jobs Thread

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was like that MIFID2, been announced for like 3 years and not one cunt did a thing about it.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the initial excitement of the job offer, I'm starting to have second thoughts about moving to London.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't blow all this goodwill you've built up, dickhead. If you don't like London you look elsewhere later on.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was expecting.

Just feel like I need to put my thoughts down to help me sort it out in my mind though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be your first time moving that far? And if so is the concern that it's London or just moving in general?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go for it Steve for fuck's sake. Bite the bullet for once in your pathetic life.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just pulling out because they've asked for his email address and he doesn't want to embarrass himself.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine graduating from Oxbridge only to go on to bottle every opportunity you encounter.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't want to leave GS in the lurch with bills and having to find a new housemate.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not moving to London is always a very good idea.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Not moving to London is always a very good idea.
    Oh I agree...unless you reside in Ballymena.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t think of a time that you’d ever have to live in London. Unless it’s a job where you need to be able to report in within 30 minutes of an emergency or something. In the likely event that Boyd isn’t joining the emergency services; just live somewhere nice and commute.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Spikey said.

London is a shithole.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    After the initial excitement of the job offer, I'm starting to have second thoughts about moving to London.
    What's the concern?

You can come hang out with me and Kiko and drink soy piccolos and eat avocados on toast every day.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What's the concern?

You can come hang out with me and Kiko and drink soy piccolos and eat avocados on toast every day.
    Knowing his luck he'll probably get run over or sliced and diced by a Moslem.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ballymena’s lovely.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the concern?

And we can invite him to the group.

If you do have any London questions, feel free to drop me a PM @Boydy.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the concern?
    My best mate and his wife (also a good friend) are having a kid soon so not sure how much I'd actually see them. Another mate currently has a spare room in his flat but when I asked him about moving in, he got a bit weird about it. He can be a bit weird at times anyway and first mate said he seems to like his privacy or whatever. I did tell him he could say no and I wouldn't be offended anyway. But I'll probably end up living with randomers. Another couple of friends are a couple and having a kid soon too so probably won't see them much. And then another good friend who's got a software development job recently too and will be working quite near me so I can probably see him pretty often.

Mate with the spare room always seems a bit miserable and lonely though and I kinda fear ending up like him.

The expense is a bit of a concern too. I'll be getting paid enough to have a decent standard of living but if I was to get a similar job in Belfast at the wage levels here, my standard of living wouldn't really be that different. And getting my own place/buying somewhere would actually be a possibility here in the near future.

Also commuting in and out of central London is gonna be a bitch.

And as an only child, I always worry a bit about if something happens one of my parents and how the other one would cope. One way round, they'd be okay, the other way round, not so much.

I think that's all of my worries.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In respect to your mates that are having kids - you could move in next door and barely see them.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best mate and his wife (also a good friend) are having a kid soon so not sure how much I'd actually see them.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post

I don't know what that means.

Also, I had a dream the other night where I went to start the job and some guy who looked like Jurgen Klopp seemed to run the place and made everyone dance some sort of weird company dance. And part of the office was the old set of the Teletubbies.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry Boyd you can get MDMA just as easily in London.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coke. You do coke in London.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I can’t think of a time that you’d ever have to live in London. Unless it’s a job where you need to be able to report in within 30 minutes of an emergency or something. In the likely event that Boyd isn’t joining the emergency services; just live somewhere nice and commute.
    Its probably because I’ve never lived anywhere busy, but I’d love to live in London.

My mate did it for a bit cos his fiancé was on work placement and he managed to transfer branches of foot asylum he manages so it all worked great, and he seemed to go for drinks most nights of the week - but somehow didn’t enjoy it and was glad to come back and live in warrington.

To be fair there were at least two major terrier (edit: lol) attacks while he was there, but surely that’s all part of the excitement.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London is awful and getting worse. Baz would last about ten minutes there with that sincerity of his. You have to be a vile cunt to prosper.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    London is awful and getting worse.
    Spend a month in suburban St. Helens. You’ll be dying to go back. And you’d like proper rugby.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live outside rather than in it, which is a key distinction. Here we have people who work with their hands, trees/grass, and public transport is shit. It's a happy medium.

I lived there between about 9 and 4 years ago, and it's probably twice as crowded/awful now as it was in that era.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 'suburban St Helens', distinct from its the bustling central metropolis.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in it and it's fine. I mean what is living in it anyway? Working day eg being around Bank is busy but fine. Evening I'm near Finsbury Park and jihad hasn't happened yet - it's quiet most of the time but you're a stones throw from civilisation.

You don't stay lonely in London long.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I live in it and it's fine. I mean what is living in it anyway? Working day eg being around Bank is busy but fine. Evening I'm near Finsbury Park and jihad hasn't happened yet - it's quiet most of the time but you're a stones throw from civilisation.

You don't stay lonely in London long.
    That sounds the worst bit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you want to be you can.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also south London is better than north, something most don't realise until it's too late.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just like regular people and you and Raoul as examples doesn't paint a wonderful picture.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also south London is better than north, something most don't realise until it's too late.
    To clarify, outer South London is better than Outer North London. South - but close to - the river is a fucking slum. Especially South East.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 25-05-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best mate and his wife (also a good friend) are having a kid soon so not sure how much I'd actually see them. Another mate currently has a spare room in his flat but when I asked him about moving in, he got a bit weird about it. He can be a bit weird at times anyway and first mate said he seems to like his privacy or whatever. I did tell him he could say no and I wouldn't be offended anyway. But I'll probably end up living with randomers. Another couple of friends are a couple and having a kid soon too so probably won't see them much. And then another good friend who's got a software development job recently too and will be working quite near me so I can probably see him pretty often.

Mate with the spare room always seems a bit miserable and lonely though and I kinda fear ending up like him.

The expense is a bit of a concern too. I'll be getting paid enough to have a decent standard of living but if I was to get a similar job in Belfast at the wage levels here, my standard of living wouldn't really be that different. And getting my own place/buying somewhere would actually be a possibility here in the near future.

Also commuting in and out of central London is gonna be a bitch.

And as an only child, I always worry a bit about if something happens one of my parents and how the other one would cope. One way round, they'd be okay, the other way round, not so much.

I think that's all of my worries.
    Uh, ok - welcome to your 30s. Everyone who's settled down is married/pregnant/has kids. In terms of finding new people to hang out wit, like most people in London you'll start with house/workmates, meet people via friends-of-friends/tech meet ups etc. and build your social circle that way. I wouldn't live with someone you already know - the point is to meet new people.

If you want to earn some decent money, stick it out for a few years then move back to Norn Iron then that's totally feasible too, and you can always move further out of London and commute in if you want more space/greenery. Commuting really isn't that much of a bother. Most tech places are fairly flexible about working from home occasionally too.

Personally I think you're a lunatic if you consider passing on an opportunity to move somewhere awesome and get into an industry which offers great opportunities for developing skills and earning a significant wage. Get into some stuff like AI/ML/Data Science/FinTech and you can earn bonkers money.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived North before and have been around the South a lot. South is kinda shit for transport though.

Uh, ok - welcome to your 30s. Everyone who's settled down is married/pregnant/has kids. In terms of finding new people to hang out wit, like most people in London you'll start with house/workmates, meet people via friends-of-friends/tech meet ups etc. and build your social circle that way. I wouldn't live with someone you already know - the point is to meet new people.

If you want to earn some decent money, stick it out for a few years then move back to Norn Iron then that's totally feasible too, and you can always move further out of London and commute in if you want more space/greenery. Commuting really isn't that much of a bother. Most tech places are fairly flexible about working from home occasionally too.

Personally I think you're a lunatic if you consider passing on an opportunity to move somewhere awesome and get into an industry which offers great opportunities for developing skills and earning a significant wage. Get into some stuff like AI/ML/Data Science/FinTech and you can earn bonkers money.
    I'm not 30 yet! (It's still a couple of weeks away). And these folks aren't even 30 yet, they're like 26/27.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not the same situation with people you know back home? It’s just what happens when you’re late 20’s.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they not tell them about the birds and the bees over there? First GS, now this.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I hate this job again. We're not trained to deal with when a claimant goes dark. Likewise if a lad your ringing is constantly stimming or being attacked by imaginary bees during the call.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commuting
    Tech meetups

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Commuting
    Tech meetups
    That post could be put in a time capsule and shown in a century as where it all went wrong.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, no doubt you should go there. I moaned earlier but it's better than Ballykissangel.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Allowing Mexicans in polite society.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boydy you absolute lad. i'll come and have a pint with you ya lil scamp

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh you're bottling it, shoulda remembered to read the whole thread, no pint for you dickhead

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North is king.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longer people continue to think that (public transport is overrated), the longer proper people can have the south to themselves. I'm going to south Croydon tomorrow and I can't wait.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    East is where it's at. It's actually living in London, rather than just sorta near it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god, don't start me on the east. Come back north, all is forgiven.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get to see Tarquin and Dave go to the Arsenal every week. It's proper.