Page 121 of 256 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,050 of 12791

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Why did NZ need to get 16? This match has been mental.
    it was a Super Over so you just get one extra over each and England had got 15 the over before. As it is they tied the last over but the EXTRA tiebreaker within the tiebreaker is boundaries which England had more of.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, fair enough. Makes more sense now. NZ will be sick regardless.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was daft. First nation to win Football, Rugby and Cricket World Cups.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely sensational final. What a game.

By the end I was definitely more gutted for NZ than pleased for England though.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Williamson really is a top geezer.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    it was a Super Over so you just get one extra over each and England had got 15 the over before. As it is they tied the last over but the EXTRA tiebreaker within the tiebreaker is boundaries which England had more of.
    To have a tie in sudden death decided by something from the regular game is stupid.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    To have a tie in sudden death decided by something from the regular game is stupid.
    It really is dumb.

But so is group games being rained off being decided as a draw.

Cricket.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure Nasser's first utterance after that madness was "cricket's the winner". What a man.

Not really sure what to make of it all really.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, seeing as everyone is at pains to call this the Men's World Cup (), why can't the final of the MEN'S World Cup have a MAN of the match?

I assume they gave Williamson player of the tournament because they felt bad for him, or that asking Shakhib to attend might have been a bit of a give-away.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would have been a more satisfactory end? Another super over? Any kind of rollback might feel arbitrary.

In a game of such fine margins a lot of chat (obviously) about Boult stepping on the rope for a Stokes six and of course the ricochet but there’s are countless others from much earlier in the match that you wouldn’t have thought would have been relevant. A funny one I was just reminded of was that Santner left the last ball of the innings!

Ridiculous match but I am so glad they just got over the line. Best ODI by some way in these past four years and a fine reward for their work.

Five match Ashes series next for a decent chunk of those lads as well. Jesus. Good luck.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I thought the wide on Archer in the super over was very harsh. Batsman clearly moved across, which invalidates the line as a strict guide.

But, like you say, it all adds up in the end. Those two sixes for Stokes a celestial payback for that over at the end of the World T20.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wide given by Deadly Dharma in the super over wasn't a wide, so fuck the haters.

I was out umpiring today so only (thanks to a few judicious trigger fingers) got in at 45.5 overs of the second innings, which by the sounds of it was probably the best way to watch it. The only downside was I was in a loud room so couldn't hear the commentary, which meant I had absolutely no idea what the next tie breaker was and didn't know we had won it until it appeared they were all going mental. I guessed it might be Super Over wickets or something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to watch it would be to come in now and watch it in full knowledge of who won (although perhaps not necessarily how). IRL it was not fun.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I have seen hundreds, maybe over 1,000 games of cricket by this point at all levels from under 9s up to internationals, and I have never seen a six scored in that fashion by two runs and then bat deflection. Never. At first I was concerned they might give him out obstructing the field.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgotten about Santner fucking that one, Max. Even at the time it seemed mental.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian twitter has never been as furious as this. Cricinfo has even put a thing out saying the deflected six should have been five (it shouldn't). Can guarantee you that if NZ had won in the same fashion they would be lapping it up.

Sorry fellas.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that was Super Sunday II. Mad cricket final, a good British GP and a Wimbledon final that went to a fifth set tie-breaker. Imagine if this happened in an Olympic year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Indian twitter has never been as furious as this. Cricinfo has even put a thing out saying the deflected six should have been five (it shouldn't). Can guarantee you that if NZ had won in the same fashion they would be lapping it up.

Sorry fellas.
    Let's not forget all the Indians on reddit suddenly deciding that the format is awful after they were eliminated.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry fellas.
    Indian Facebook is the same. A couple of years back, I joined a couple of pages with the intention of trolling these people but realised I didn't actually need to do much to troll them. Stating facts and posting about cricket in a logical manner was enough. The seethe from them on the Lords Cricket Ground page when someone doesn't have Tendulkar in their all-time XI.

On the final, greatest game of cricket ever. Without doubt. By the end, I wasn't actually that bothered if we won as one way or the other, we witnessed history right there.
    Last edited by Dave.; 15-07-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best team in the World for the last few years I dont know how anyone can be upset by that result.

That video of Maxwell watching with his county teamates had me chuckling.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry fellas.
    I was going to say the only unfortunate bit was that it was New Zealand and not someone like India getting done over in such a fashion. Imagine the fallout.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    They scored more boundaries in the super over as well, if that's any consolation.

I guess it refers to the actual game as well so there is a better chance of some clarity (seeing as you could easily tie boundaries in the super over as well).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England managing to become the best side the in the world, redefine one day cricket, win the World Cup and still do it in a way that annoys/upsets vast amounts of people all around the world is true testament to their brilliance.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shattered.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand got into the semis on the equally arbitrary tie breaker of net run rate, so you know, live by the sword and all that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    England managing to become the best side the in the world, redefine one day cricket, win the World Cup and still do it in a way that annoys/upsets vast amounts of people all around the world is true testament to their brilliance.
    The best bit would have been losing because we weren't quite good enough at grinding our way to 240.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmyNeesh/status/1150562893777244160

Him and Kane (and all Kiwis really) absolute top geezers.
    Last edited by Max Power; 15-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweet's dead.

Taufel Seethe.

It's Jones! Bowden! All over again.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as my understanding of the laws is concerned, I'd have given six. They completed two runs, and then it passed the boundary for four overthrows. When it deflected off the batsman is irrelevant. There was no 'run in progress', they completed it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The strongest argument I've seen for five is based on a description that is pretty vague anyway so the umming and ahhing over it is being done for its own sake.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really penalise the beneficiaries when there's no intent. Might be unfair on the Kiwis but they threw the ball.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if it was a wrong decision, wrong decisions happen all the time in every sport. Once the game is over it's over.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird thing is that Indians seem far more upset about the result than Kiwis do. Kind of unmasks their ridiculous grievance procedure. Even Sehwag was having a massive cry on twitter.

Can you imagine if it had been India? Kohli would have screamed at the umpires for days, and Modi would have bombed Pakistan again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Zealand not being India is the only thing holding back closing the book on it being the best sporting final, nay, event of any kind, in human history.

Gilo's right though. In other circumstances Stokes should have hit that last ball out of the fucking park.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in other circumstances he might not have bowled it there as defending 3 you hedge your bets a bit more than defending 2. It's nonsense trying to rewind that just as it would be rewinding any other umpiring decision that has ever happened.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's like saying Damon should've given Schumacher an extra lap to see how knackered he was. Or telling Glock to pit for wets.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he just tosses the ball casually in they're defending 7 off 2, so you know, you pays your money you takes your choice.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I see a clip of the dressing room singing Allez Allez Allez on the news just there?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I assume they gave Williamson player of the tournament because they felt bad for him, or that asking Shakhib to attend might have been a bit of a give-away.
    I just saw the clip of him being surprised at learning it was him.

Such a shame that such a bizarre way to lose had to happen to such a likeable bunch.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neesham is the best cricketer on Twitter by a mile.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 3 minute video posted by the ICC account of the final over and the super over is superb. Equally superb is all the Indian comments on the video below it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I just saw the clip of him being surprised at learning it was him.

Such a shame that such a bizarre way to lose had to happen to such a likeable bunch.
    Agreed.

If we were against India, I would love it if Stokes somehow managed to deliberately gain the overthrows rather than doing it by accident like what happened in the final.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a wink at Dhoni after the fact.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 3 minute video posted by the ICC account of the final over and the super over is superb. Equally superb is all the Indian comments on the video below it.
    It has properly struck a nerve hasn't it? Don't think I've ever seen them this upset even when India have been involved. They seem absolutely devastated that England have won.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll watch the video on lunch but am just having a look at those comments. Dear me, they're cross.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has properly struck a nerve hasn't it? Don't think I've ever seen them this upset even when India have been involved. They seem absolutely devastated that England have won.
    Indian cricket fandom seems unlike any kind of of fandom in any sport. They never seem to blame the players, the selectors, the coaching staff (as they are former players now). All other nations have a level of self deprecation, a level of gallows humour. They don’t. Their defeat is the fault of the format, the weather, England, Pakistan. Either way, in this instance, hook it up to my veins because I love it. I wonder how we can top this by winning in India 2023?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they just angry in general? I mean, would they have moaned whoever had won because it wasn't them or is this that plus it being England?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian cricket fandom seems unlike any kind of of fandom in any sport. They never seem to blame the players, the selectors, the coaching staff (as they are former players now). All other nations have a level of self deprecation, a level of gallows humour. They don’t. Their defeat is the fault of the format, the weather, England, Pakistan. Either way, in this instance, hook it up to my veins because I love it. I wonder how we can top this by winning in India 2023?
    What I noticed in this tournament was just how much support for Dhoni there was. His awful, past-it cricket cost them very dearly, and was arguably the decisive factor in them going out, but they don't seem to care - it's all about lionising him and his hero status. The team comes second.

It's very much a sort of religious fervour, rather than anything rooted in reality.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably on twitter, but the Indian fans on r/cricket were rightly lambasting Dhoni for his pathetic, cowardly batting.

That said, they reacted to any defeat by declaring the whole team needed to be ripped up and started again so I guess it's not that much better than Twitter.

It's a shame reddit has calmed down after a day of 'ENGLAND DIDN'T WIN!!!!!' I did enjoy baiting the bitter Aussies immensely.