User Tag List

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently about two thirds of the way through The Three-Body Problem that I got as a gift for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it.

It's this mad, sometimes quite complex, but very entertaining Chinese sci-fi novel. It manages to heavily incorporate a lot of elements I know almost nothing about (namely physics and the Chinese Cultural Revolution) into proceedings but still remain very readable. They did a really good job on the translation of adding appendix notes throughout at the bottom of the pages to give context to a lot of the Chinese references they make and the more complex scientific concepts they bring up.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved that whole trilogy. They're big-ass books but the story's great.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story is fantastic. It's one of those where I genuinely can't get my head around how somebody would come up with something like that. All the stuff where he's in the "Three Body" simulation is so weird and fascinating.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of those and may need to try them at some point.

I've just finished 100 Best Video Games (That Never Existed) by Nate Crowley which, unsurprisingly given his other writing, got some proper laughs out of me.

I'm now onto the second book, The Trouble With Peace, of Abercrombie's latest trilogy. Only just started but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone read The Secret?
    I'm a twit

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that a wanky self-help book?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished The Three-Body Problem, fantastic book. The ending was mental. The sequel is on order.

In the mean time I'm about two thirds of the way through The Black Company, which I am really enjoying. It's sort of a dark fantasy book but it's an interesting take on it, because it's kind of from the point of view of the bad guys. Well, it's not that simple really. But they are a company of soldiers for hire who are (at least as far as I can tell) in the employ of the baddies. It's a fun twist on it.

The author has a really interesting, quite snappy writing style too. There's not a great deal of exposition in terms of what is going on in the world at large. Almost none at all, in fact. It's told from the view point of one character and you just get this kind of "front line" perspective of what is happening to his section of the company at that given time, and you pick up little bits here and there about the over-arching situation as it goes along.

It sounds a bit confusing but it's actually really good. Don't get me wrong, I love a good exercise in world building as much as the next man. But let's be honest, it can back fire sometimes too. So it makes it refreshingly direct and straight to the point for a fantasy novel. Shit just constantly happens and it's done and they move on.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Started reading The Magical Faraway Tree, or whatever it's called but my wife's old copy was too tatty so bought a new copy, and it had changed the names of the three kids from Jo, Bessie and Fanny to Joe, Beth and Frannie.
    Quality books.

For other, modern Children's classics, would recommend The Beast and the Bethany [not read the sequel yet] and JK Rowling's efforts. The Ickabog is excellent and The Christmas Pig is also very good thus far.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Quality books.

For other, modern Children's classics, would recommend The Beast and the Bethany [not read the sequel yet] and JK Rowling's efforts. The Ickabog is excellent and The Christmas Pig is also very good thus far.
    Yeah we read The Christmas Pig in the run up to Christmas. I didn’t really like it, but my daughter seemed to and she could definitely relate to it cos she’s got a tatty grey rabbit that she bloody adores.

Will keep those others in mind when we’ve read this Faraway Tree beast. We’re all much preferring reading one continuous story in short bursts (chapters) rather than a random short kids book every night, so it’s certainly the way forward. My wife grew up bumming the Harry Potter books so I’ll let her poison her mind with them though, and I’ll go and tidy the loft or something.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I finished The Three-Body Problem, fantastic book. The ending was mental. The sequel is on order.

In the mean time I'm about two thirds of the way through The Black Company, which I am really enjoying. It's sort of a dark fantasy book but it's an interesting take on it, because it's kind of from the point of view of the bad guys. Well, it's not that simple really. But they are a company of soldiers for hire who are (at least as far as I can tell) in the employ of the baddies. It's a fun twist on it.

The author has a really interesting, quite snappy writing style too. There's not a great deal of exposition in terms of what is going on in the world at large. Almost none at all, in fact. It's told from the view point of one character and you just get this kind of "front line" perspective of what is happening to his section of the company at that given time, and you pick up little bits here and there about the over-arching situation as it goes along.

It sounds a bit confusing but it's actually really good. Don't get me wrong, I love a good exercise in world building as much as the next man. But let's be honest, it can back fire sometimes too. So it makes it refreshingly direct and straight to the point for a fantasy novel. Shit just constantly happens and it's done and they move on.
    Have you read the Malazan series? Sounds right up your street if you lile The Black Company.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Have you read the Malazan series? Sounds right up your street if you lile The Black Company.
    I have read the first couple, yeah. Somebody in here (probably Ian) alerted me to them I think, either directly or just by reading his posts. I really liked what I read. Particularly the second one. The "Chain of Dogs" section in that is genuinely one of the best things I've read ever. Anywhere.

I need to get back to those actually. The third one is on the to-read pile. They're just slightly more daunting books, aren't they? It's a proper undertaking starting another of those. Which is sort of what I enjoyed about the relative brevity of The Black Company.

I was actually thinking as I finished The Black Company last night that it reminded me a little bit of Malazan though. There's a bit towards the end where they describe a really large-scale battle situation in a a very engaging way (which I think is difficult to do) and it made me think of how great the Malazan books I read were at that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are absolute tomes, I managed to read the series through three times back when I was riding empty trains around

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're brilliant books.
    @Lofty do I remember rightly that you've also read the Abercrombie books? I'm just starting the second of his second Third Law trilogies.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read everything he did a while back but am not up to date with anything semi recent. I enjoyed the subversion of usual fantasy tropes.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you liked The Third Law trilogy the newest one (starting with A Little Hatred) is a follow-up series with some characters from the first but mostly a new story in the same world. It's very good so far.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started the big sleep at the weekend and boshed through half, I'm not usually a mystery detective fiction kinda guy but it's brilliant fun. I could do without every single character getting half a paragraph about the shape of their eyes and shit but yeah, Raymond Chandler is a pretty funny guy.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Chandler. Probably my favourite writer (of any type) along with Clive James and Sedaris.

Farewell My Lovely probably my favourite of those books but they're all good.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I love Chandler. Probably my favourite writer (of any type) along with Clive James and Sedaris.

Farewell My Lovely probably my favourite of those books but they're all good.
    Yeah, I bought it on your recommendation and it's great. I think I preferred it to the Big Sleep as well. I do find Chandler's very esoteric and detailed way of describing the appearance of every single character a bit annoying, but other than that I love his writing style. You often get detective novels with one or two high levels of humour, suspense, and literary wordiness, but to get all three is what makes him so readable. You get all the joy of a fun trashy pulpy book, but also feel the mental stimulation of reading a proper book.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the three Faraway Tree books. All good.

Was pleased to see this on wikipedia:
    In October 2014, it was announced that the books will be adapted for the cinema for the first time and are being developed for a live action film version by Sam Mendes' production company, Neal Street Productions.[2] As of 2021, the film was still listed as being "in development."
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am reading a (translated, obvs) Japanese novel called Bullet Train. It's being made into a film full of white people even though I think it's still set in Japan.

Anyway, I picked a games journo who's on a couple of podcasts I listen to reads a lot of Japanese / Asian fiction and talks about them a lot and I was considering ordering The Three Body Problem but saw the film trailer and decided to get on this before the film comes out. I imagine the film will be a lot more loud and objectionable.

Anyway, I am really enjoying it and it's super easy reading but I am surprised how often the dialogue reminds me of Japanese video games. I dunno if I'd thought it was maybe just something about the way they write game dialogue / stories but either:
    - I've caught a book where it happens to be a similar dialogue style
    - It's something about how Japense translates into English
    - They actually do just talk this way.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're making a film or TV show of The Three Body Problem as well.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I realised as I was typing that that might be happening but on my phone and couldn't be bothered checking.

Is it obvious film-fodder?

I don't think Bullet Train needs to be as action-banter as the trailer makes it look, you could do a good adaptation just leaning on the tension and intrigue but I suppose if you're spending Brad Pitt money you want the pizzazz.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if the train had a gun and a family to protect?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah I realised as I was typing that that might be happening but on my phone and couldn't be bothered checking.

Is it obvious film-fodder?

I don't think Bullet Train needs to be as action-banter as the trailer makes it look, you could do a good adaptation just leaning on the tension and intrigue but I suppose if you're spending Brad Pitt money you want the pizzazz.
    Not really. There's some bits of it that I'm not really sure how they'll translate to film at all.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    What if the train had a gun and a family to protect?
    And is only three days away from retirement.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "This summer ... he's too old for this Skinkansen."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boydy

I'm maybe about three quarters of the way through The Dark Forrest at the moment. It's good, but not as good as The Three Body Problem. I'm definitely finding it a bit more of a slog in places, whereas I couldn't put the first one down. The characters are just not as compelling. Obviously it's basically a totally new cast, so it feels a bit of a re-set in that respect.

Although his ability to come up with really interesting ideas and concepts is still off the chart.

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the second one, isn't it? I think it suffered from the translator not being as good as well. Ken Liu's back for the third one though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the second one, yes. That makes sense actually as it has struck me that the writing is not as, I don't know, fluid I guess, as the first one. Which would validate the translation criticism.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. I put it down to the translation.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. I put it down to the translation.
    It was losing me quite a bit until:

Toggle Spoiler

Right up there in terms of genuine jaw-dropping sections of books for me.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a book on Amazon has the following marked on it, does it mean it'll be the same on Apple Books (ie, are all the digital versions made by one crowd for everyone)?

Customers reported quality issues in this eBook. This eBook has: Broken Navigation, Poor Formatting.
    The publisher has been notified to correct these issues.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having recently read a load of Peter Rabbit and a load of Winnie The Pooh, it’s safe to say that Beatrix Potter must have been a sex-icon (unlikely, having seen her waxwork at Peter rabbit world) or got very very lucky in her absolutely shite books becoming so popular. So bad.

I wasn’t immediately sold on Pooh but reading the stories in their proper order has massively improved the reading experience for all involved. Possibly helps that my dad read them to me as a kid, and he loved them. On that tangent, I should read Brer Rabbit next.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, good on you learning to read. Just goes to show it's never too late.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Matilda on the go at the moment, which is

Unicorn Academy less so.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pooh is amazing. Probably more so as an adult.

Roald Dahl is joke good, one of my regrets about almost certainly never having kids is not going through those again.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronald Dahl is great. An anti-Semite weirdo obviously and his short stories are good but reveal the weirdness further but the kids books are still too notch.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Finished the three Faraway Tree books. All good.

Was pleased to see this on wikipedia:
    Read those to my daughter not long ago and she loved all 3. I've just seen the Jacqueline Wilson has published a new one 2 days ago so I'll give that a go for her. The original 3 really are great.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any fans of Murikami? I've picked up Norwegian Wood with high expectations.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. He's one of my current favourites. I started reading him about a year ago and (obviously in amongst other stuff) have just been in the process of working through his novels in order. Norwegian Wood is excellent. South of the Border, West of the Sun is the most recent of his I've finished, and it was one of my favourites so far.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a fantasy book called The Unspoken Name at the moment. It's pretty good so far.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing a Christmas book quiz and don’t know this one:

Our hero usually prefers warmer weather but gets caught by surprise by a freak blizzard just before Christmas in a small Southern California town, and is stranded in a roadhouse with four strangers, two of whom are tasked to protect a VIP who got separated in the storm. Will they manage to find their protectee, or will an assassin find him first?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack Reacher.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Christmas Scorpion. What a name.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Jack Reacher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Cheers mates!

And indeed.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How High We Go In The Dark - Sequoia Nagamatsu

A virus hits the world after an odd cadaver is unearthed on an archaeological dig.

It's a book of short tales, about humanity, love, hope and loss.

Beautiful creativity, prose, ideas. There's two particular sections that had me welling up.

It's a tough read in parts but it portrays life and its myriad complexities better than many other things I have seen or read.

A wonderful, wonderful thing.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good, I shall maybe give that a go.

I'm on another Brandon Sanderson fantasy thing (the third of his second Mistborn trilogy) but also going through the second volume of the excellent Sandman. I think once I've done these I'm then safe to go onto the TV show.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Annihilation and it was pretty good. Real page turner.

Toggle Spoiler

Just started White Noise by Don Delillo and it seems terrible. Make myself 50/1 to make it to half way.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone wrote a 600 page book comparing Andy Warhol to Chris Chan. I know next to nothing about Warhol, but he cannot have been good.

I need to book a holiday so I can read it.
    I'm a twit