Page 277 of 371 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327 ... LastLast
Results 13,801 to 13,850 of 18544

Thread: The Ultimate WWE Thread

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think that, and probably many matches, don't always live up to the hype because I think there is understandably a bit of "you weren't there, man!" about it. Needs the investment, I think very few matches (unless you're a proper technical wrasslin' wonk) will stand up properly in isolation.
    This is very true. I'll take a modern day example: you can put on any random Okada vs. Tanahashi match and enjoy it, but you might not get the hype, especially as a non-fan. Watch the whole series in order (they must be up to about 15 now) and you'll get a completely different perspective and appreciation. Each match is like a chapter in a book.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And while I'm yelling at clouds, a match being long doesn't automatically make it better. I'm not sure if he was the first / biggest sinner on this front but I'll call it the Triple H effect. Bunging 10 minutes onto the match time without any idea of how to fill it doesn't automatically make it an EPIC.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do miss peak NXT black & gold.

Christ it was good.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually thinking about that when we were talking about O'Reilly and Fish yesterday. A really good tag team and one of the best NXT had but they're not in any of those classic NXT tag matches that come to my mind. UE vs. Moustache Mountain was probably their best? Is there an obvious one I'm missing that you'd put up there with some of the DIY / AA / Revival classics?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their fight with Moustache Mountain that was on NXT TV was an absolute belter and never gets talked about. It was better than their PPV fight for me.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyler Bate really is being fucked wasting languishing in NXT UK with his embarrassing uncle.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually thinking about that when we were talking about O'Reilly and Fish yesterday. A really good tag team and one of the best NXT had but they're not in any of those classic NXT tag matches that come to my mind. UE vs. Moustache Mountain was probably their best? Is there an obvious one I'm missing that you'd put up there with some of the DIY / AA / Revival classics?
    They never really got the spotlight in NXT compared to the other tag teams, their best stuff was in ROH.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it Orton and Edge that went for 3 weeks at Mania and was fucking shite? Tell the story and get out.

I can still remember channel flipping years ago and stumbling across a random Kurt Angle Vs Ken Kennedy match in TNA and being sucked in immediately despite not following TNA much at the time. Angle was one of those who just fucking got it and could tell a story in the ring with anyone at any time.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyler Bate really is being fucked wasting languishing in NXT UK with his embarrassing uncle.
    He is but then what else is there for him right now?

Jobbing to Tony D'Angelo on NXT (I have no idea if Tony is good or if this would happen, I haven't watched in ages) or jobbing to the "DIRTY DAWGS" on RAW/Insert other shit wrestlers from Smackdown.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Was it Orton and Edge that went for 3 weeks at Mania and was fucking shite? Tell the story and get out.

I can still remember channel flipping years ago and stumbling across a random Kurt Angle Vs Ken Kennedy match in TNA and being sucked in immediately despite not following TNA much at the time. Angle was one of those who just fucking got it and could tell a story in the ring with anyone at any time.
    Only 36 minutes according to Wiki, it felt so much longer though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some say they're still ambling about that gym even now....

Their dogshit 'greatest ever' wrestling match went on about a week as well and that was fucking pre-recorded. If ever anything needed a brutal edit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angle 2002-06 was absolutely untouchable. Shame he destroyed himself in the process.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robby Bobby Roode is one who's way better than whatever they've got him doing, his team with Ziggler would be a top flight act in a parallel universe where they're not throwing custard pies at each other or arguing over Japanese shampoo commercials.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rewatched Angle / HBK the other day. Still a banger. I need to watch more of his TNA stuff though.

When I was using the network to catch up on all the PPVs I'd missed after I first gave up on wrestling Angle obviously had a bunch of really good matches but the one that really stands out to me in some ways was the one vs. Rey Mysterio because you just don't see anybody who isn't a cruiserweight matching Mysterio for pure speed and yet Angle did it. Incredible stuff.

Again though, I had some investment in Angle. Would I have given as much of a shit watching those matches back if I hadn't already loved his early-2000s stuff? Impossible to know.

It's also what made the few matches he did in his last WWE run so tragic. He could barely move. And got retired by Jezza just to put the final nail in the coffin.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    Robby Bobby Roode is one who's way better than whatever they've got him doing, his team with Ziggler would be a top flight act in a parallel universe where they're not throwing custard pies at each other or arguing over Japanese shampoo commercials.
    Vince just loves to fuck with good wrestlers. The likes of Molly Holly, Taka Michinoku and Al Snow were phenomenal workers but you wouldn't know it if you only watched WWE.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got into a habit of watching the really old stuff on WWE network, my favourite was easily the early 80s Mid South shows, you could rocket through them as nothing lingers too long to outstay its welcome. It's weird how amateurish all these accomplished talkers were most of the time, and seeing people like Rick Rude as just a happy man with a moustache and Demolition Smash turning dirty commie with Nikolai Volkoff, magic.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid South is a good watch yeah, Bill Watts is fucking mental but knew how to book an old school territory and when Ernie Ladd is on commentary it's just gold.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up to the point where Bill Watts is coming out of retirement for one more match, he's taken Jim Ross to see if they can get Junkyard Dog to come back to help him but he refuses and instead turns up but in a mask as someone else which I'm guessing was the main inspiration for the Hulk Hogan Mr America thing. Also the Rock and Roll Express have started appearing and the girls go mad despite them somehow always looking like old men even in their 20s. Lower standards for superhunks back then

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mad they're still going today. They had a match with FTR a couple of months ago that was genuinely good. Shows you don't need athleticism if you know how to work a crowd.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post

Not too shabby.

Although it's not as good as the Rollins or Bourne ones.
    I just watched this. And nothing else because the rest of Raw sounded shiiiiiit. That was a really fun match though. And possibly a well timed example of what I was talking about in one of my moany posts earlier as I enjoyed it much more than the three-way tag from Revolution but I have opinions on all these people. I'm quite pleased they've been more patient with RK-Bro than I thought they would be but given Orton seems to be having such a good time I wonder if he's just told them he doesn't want it splitting up yet. It's also just nice to see Gable in a relatively prominent spot.

Still had some of the annoying tropes though. Tower of Doom spot, people getting erections just looking at the Wrestlemania sign, etc.

And poor old KO getting reduced to a chat show segment at Mania so he can get battered by Austin.
    Last edited by Ian; 08-03-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And poor old KO getting reduced to a chat show segment so he can get battered by Austin.
    So that's really going to happen? Oh boy.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but as part of The KO Show rather than an actual match by the sounds of it which is... better? Maybe? I mean I'll probably skip it anyway so it doesn't matter to me but I just wish Owens could get something worthwhile to do and let some other cunt listen to Austin bark out some catchphrases before eating a stunner.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I ask is that finishers be protected. To the point where spots are designed around not getting hit by them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    All I ask is that finishers be protected. To the point where spots are designed around not getting hit by them.

I've not watched AEW since the beginning but Omega's OWA was the perfect example of how to protect a finisher for years.

Also the occasional win with a non-finisher out of the blue is excellent.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's been kicked out of in AEW has it?

I have some respect for old Jezza Corbin for this actually. I think nobody has kicked out of the End of Days still which I assume means he just refuses to do it if he's not winning / the pin isn't getting broken up by a third person.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's how it used to be. Hogan was seething that Sid kicked out of the leg drop at WrestleMania because Warrior missed his cue to break up the pin.

The Attitude Era ruined finishers really and the current generation turned it up to 11.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah kicking out of one should be the exception rather than the rule. It's why I like guys who finish matches in different ways but then have their proper finisher which is the killer move which you only have somebody kick off on very special occasions.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's been kicked out of in AEW has it?

I have some respect for old Jezza Corbin for this actually. I think nobody has kicked out of the End of Days still which I assume means he just refuses to do it if he's not winning / the pin isn't getting broken up by a third person.
    Technically yes it has and no it hasn’t because Moxley put his leg on the rope but it was a no DQ match so that didn’t matter however it was in that match with the pathetic sparkler show at the end that gave Eddie Kingston PTSD and the explosion caused Kenny to let go of the pin.

I’m with Baz on the Bryan thing btw. I’m just not a fan of ‘technical’ wrestling.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A leg on the rope is fine. Like the time Neville (PAC) did the Red Arrow on Rollins but rolled him up so hard on the pin that his foot flopped over onto the rope.

Absolutely fantastic spot.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s barely a technical wrestler anymore. At least, not so far in AEW. Like back in the day I could watch Benoit vs Jericho vs Angle for days and buzz off the transitions and reversals that led to another move, and not just following away to do starjumps or flex your biceps.

I appreciate Bryan Danielson used to be considered the best technical wrestler, but his matches in AEW are mostly him avoiding stuff, like he’s playing WWE2K and just mashing the block/reverse and taunt buttons.

I don’t deny being a spot fest soyboy though, and there’s a reason Sammy Guevara, Jungle Boy and, to a lesser extent Nick Jackson, are my favourites, and i want Hook to get squashed.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to the little guy who was in Jungle Boy's gang, is he gone? Having him replaced with Christian was a huge upgrade but a weird one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Technically yes it has and no it hasn’t because Moxley put his leg on the rope but it was a no DQ match so that didn’t matter however it was in that match with the pathetic sparkler show at the end that gave Eddie Kingston PTSD and the explosion caused Kenny to let go of the pin.

I’m with Baz on the Bryan thing btw. I’m just not a fan of ‘technical’ wrestling.
    Kota Ibushi kicked out of it but it was years ago so everyone seems to pretend it never happened.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    What happened to the little guy who was in Jungle Boy's gang, is he gone? Having him replaced with Christian was a huge upgrade but a weird one.
    Marko Stunt. He was recently on poster with Joey Janela for GCW so not sure if they’re both in AEW anymore or what.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    A leg on the rope is fine. Like the time Neville (PAC) did the Red Arrow on Rollins but rolled him up so hard on the pin that his foot flopped over onto the rope.

Absolutely fantastic spot.
    It was a good match and the best thing about that spot is the way they did the pin it wasn't an obviously signposted WWE thing and the fans started to go absolutely mental thinking an actual mad surprise was about to happen.

Top moment.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should rattle out more Rules of Wrestling (tm)

1. Protect finishers. They should be feared and the submission ones should be like an instant tap unless you really want to show the other guy's resilience.
    2. No storylines go longer than 6 months. There's fuckloads of TV time now and you can get your build in easy.
    3. The supporting titles IC/TV/Cruiserweight/etc should have some weight to them. Make them seem like a big deal. A promotion, a thing to fight for.
    4. If you fuck a spot up, don't repeat it immediately. The chance has gone.
    5. Wrestle through ad breaks. Properly. You have replays. Let the live audience get their entertainment.
    6. Braun Strowman should win a Rumble by tipping the ring.
    7. Make your characters feel distinct. If you're bringing in people with the same gimmick, team them up. Don't have them cluttering the singles pool.
    8. Scripts shouldn't be followed to the letter. Commentary should be improvised, promos should also, to an extent. Just tell the talent what things to hit and what to end on.
    9. Don't be afraid to build a feud up without having the guys fight for ages. Build the anticipation on the mic and then let them go all Don Frye at RoyalWrestleSummerSeries.
    10. Surprise Rumble winners. It's okay to do them and you've got an immediate 'Well, they wouldn't put him there if they weren't going to put him over at Mania.' crowd waffle.
    11. Too many cool heels. Cunt heels are better.
    12. Someone get injured and kind of end the feud? Just put it on ice until they make a triumphant return. Simmer it in the background if you have to.
    13. Sometimes the crowd is heel. Bastards.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14. The Canadian Destroyer is banned.
    15. Pointing at the Wrestlemania sign is punishable by execution of you and all of your loved ones.
    16. All tag team matches (playa) must be announced by Teddy Long

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14. The Canadian Destroyer is banned.
    Oh god yes. Petey Williams had a beautiful finisher and the spot monkeys killed it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the Super-Plex into Falcon Arrow result in a finish sometimes?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do love the idea of forbidden moves that only get brought out in blood feuds.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the Super-Plex into Falcon Arrow result in a finish sometimes?
    I always thought Rollins should finish a lot of his normal matches with this and the Curb Stomp should be his "no seriously fuck you" finisher for big feuds or when he can't put somebody away.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17. Commentators saying "that could do it!!!!!" or similar for a move that hasn't won anybody a match in decades.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've actually made Ziggler the NXT champion...

The brand is officially dead.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18. Don't put main roster talent on your developmental show.
    19. If you have talent not doing anything, farm them out for indie dates. Y'know, so they get some work in.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've actually made Ziggler the NXT champion...

The brand is officially dead.
    Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind main roster runs generally, the early days when you had Cesaro throwing Sami Zayn around with one hand was great. Not sure they need to be the top champ though unless it's a full switch.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the young Steiner kid that dropped the belt will move up? It'll be mental if Ziggler isn't just a placeholder to put over the next guy.

Also on the topic of Steiner, why the fuck is he not called Rex Steiner anymore? That's cool as fuck.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ciampa ate the pin so Ziggler will just lose the belt back to Breakkkker next month on the Mania weekend show.

And he claims the name change was his idea. If so and he really picked "Breakker" somebody should have given him a slap and told him to pipe down.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've changed Pete Dunne's name to "Butch"...

What the fuck is wrong with this company?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about the Butch.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've changed Pete Dunne's name to "Butch"...

What the fuck is wrong with this company?
    Are you really surprised by another terrible name change?