Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew, that MJF promo.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    House of Black might be a smokey as first Trios champs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who needs Shane when you can put Vince in the ring.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shane in the ring you say? Yes please.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
    Who needs Shane when you can put Vince in the ring.
    Surely this won't actually happen, it would be a complete trainwreck.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're fucking idiots.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multiversal Title coming up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I see Edge turned heel on Styles last night. He's getting to Big Show levels of alignment flip-floppery since his return.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He ought to snap his neck for that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be nice if they're just making an excuse to ditch the universal title for something a little less stupid. Get the big gold back and give it to HHH again

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make the skull the title. Is that sitting in the back somewhere? Was it a skull or a golden egg? Time, words and wrestling has no meaning.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wullie View Post
    It'd be nice if they're just making an excuse to ditch the universal title for something a little less stupid. Get the big gold back and give it to HHH again
    I think we all know they'd rather bin all the history of the WWE title than the Universal.

It was a golden egg, and I fully endorse this idea. Fuck the WWE title.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And give it magic powers like it's the Dragonballs or something.

"He's assembled the WWE Power Gems. BROCK HAS BECOME TOO POWERFUL."

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every Easter Sunday they have a PPV, Armeggeddon, and the current holder has to fight the latest incarnation of the Gobbledygooker in a Hell in a Hen House match.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there's a tomb on set with allows for a SURPRISE RETURN after 3 DAYS OF SILENCE.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The championship scramble matches basically book themselves.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't watching when this theme was in use:

I absolutely love that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn’t remember it but had a feeling it sounded like a Randy Newman song and I wasn’t wrong.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cocaine Tony now owns Ring of Honor.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure Wrestling Champion Bryan Danielson.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that solves the problem of a bloated roster.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that his announcement was met with Shane McMahon chants.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that his announcement was met with Shane McMahon chants.
    Really?

He should sign him. That'd fucking learn 'em.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AEW reccomendations:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was only going to bother watching Moxley vs. Danielson, but I've heard great things about the Dog Collar match, which I'm intrigued about because there's not been a good one for about 40 years.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole show was pretty good but Punk/MJF and Moxley/Danielson were the stand outs.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booking a dog collar match is a great way to try and kill the wanking dogs rumour.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoiding spoilers as still got loads left but some early takeaways:

Red Dragon are dreadful. They don’t deserve to share a ring with the Young Bucks and Jurassic Express.
    I love how camp Ricky Starks is. Him and Jake Atlas could have a great fued eventually.
    Tay Conti should never do a piledriver ever again. Good job Jade Cargill had such awareness or else it was a neck breaker for sure.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Red Dragon are dreadful.
    Either they've massively nosedived in the last few years or you have weird tastes. Kyle O'Reilly is/was legitimately one of the best technical wrestlers of his generation and reDRagon one of the best tag teams outright. Their work in ROH and NJPW then NXT was phenomenal.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Reilly/Fish are a very good team but I dunno if that match showed the best of them. This is the only thing I've seen of them in AEW.

I didn't watch the whole show.

Kingston vs. Jericho - Pretty good. Nothing to write home about but Jericho helped make Kingston look great, it was nice that Kingston got the win and it helps that the crowd are really into him.

Tag titles - it was alright and had some good spots. I liked that it was basically an agreed 4 v 2 early doors (rather than it just being that way 'coincidentally' for babyface beatdown purposes) but yeah, there were some nice spots but I didn't think this flowed that well as a whole.

Ladder match - I mean... it's a multiman ladder match, isn't it? There have been fucking loads of them now and there's only so much to be done. Did have a few nice touches. I find Cassidy quite annoying but the spot where he ended up on the ladder being held up by Lee and Wardlow to try and grab the ring (I still think that joke seems a bit small time) was fun, I liked Wardlow just telling Lee to get off the ladder so they could have a fight and Lee launching Cassidy into orbit. It also reflects well on AEW that they've had the Wardlow stuff bubbling away and building to this win as well as MJF having his own separate feuds.

Punk vs. MJF - A bit slow at times, as gimmick matches of this sort often are. I don't think shaving five minutes off it would have harmed. It was good though. I've dipped in and out to catch some of the build for this and while I didn't think MJFs promo was OMGBESTEVAR as some did he's very, very good and it's nice to see somebody succeeding as a piece of shit heel who isn't trying to be secretly a fan favourite cool baddie. The ending worked well too.

Moxley/ Danielson - very good, obviously. And had William Regal come out at the end, so 12/5 stars for me.

Page vs. Cole - I just don't think I'm ever going to get into Adam Cole or buy into him as a main eventer. I've moaned about it before so I won't do it again. Also I thought this match had a slightly daft number of kickouts but I do like Hangman.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they've got all the tools in place, Tony Khan should have Adam Cole cut his hair and manage Keith Lee.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now they've got all the tools in place, Tony Khan should have Adam Cole cut his hair and manage Keith Lee.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Either they've massively nosedived in the last few years or you have weird tastes. Kyle O'Reilly is/was legitimately one of the best technical wrestlers of his generation and reDRagon one of the best tag teams outright. Their work in ROH and NJPW then NXT was phenomenal.
    Ive only seen him in AEW and in last nights PPV his selling was rubbish, and it seemed like he met Bobby Fish in the carpool that morning. The bit with Kyle O’Reilly going back and forth on the ropes was Grado-level lols.

Watched the rest now. Weird that the TBS title match was probably better than the Womens Title match.

I really don’t enjoy Bryan Danielson at all, or Jon Moxley in the ring, but it managed to be entertaining enough.

Dog Collar match was alright. Agree it was a bit long, and the whole Wardlow story arc has been great. He’s more over than Hook.

Main event was just okay but I think 4 hours of wrestling is about my limit.

Oh, Sting stole the show.
    Last edited by Baz; 07-03-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't like Danielson? Baz, mate.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want to care about Adam Page's title run but it just doesn't grab me at all.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too shabby.

Although it's not as good as the Rollins or Bourne ones.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You don't like Danielson? Baz, mate.
    I was struggling to get my head around the O'Reilly/reDRagon argument but this explains it.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like people like him for his history. Nowadays his match are fairly slow, he does that annoying showboating like he’s trying to be heel but he can’t cos he Bryan Danielson, and all of his promos are the same. His matches aren’t exciting. His transitions are literally roll away and do star jumps. I wanna see more top rope suplex into a German suplex, like that Jungle Boy spot on The Young Bucks.

Probably doesn’t help that he mostly faces jobbers, to “educate” them.

And I’ve no idea about Kyle O’Reilly. It felt like his first televised match.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different strokes for different folks. I find spotfests get boring quickly. They have their place on a show, but only in the odd match and certainly they belong in the midcard. Give me a slow build 30 minute main event any day.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't be doing with the Young Bucks at all. They're amazing at what they do, it's just that I've no interest in it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I am broadly the same. I prefer my wrestling as more of soap opera sorta-fight than pure spectacle performance art type thing.

When somebody's surviving multiple piledrivers (or even superkicks or whatever) in the middle of a match it just takes me out of it.

Like when everybody was gushing about the Cena / Styles match a few years ago. I was already getting bored by the time we got to the second AA.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about the selling and getting me invested in the story of the match. I don't like a lot of American wrestling really, given the amount of content. I normally watch Japanese wrestling and even then I'm not subscribed to anything at the moment; New Japan turned me off a bit after the onset of the pandemic and I only dip into other promotions if something is recommended.

For example, off the top of my head the best WWF/E match I've seen is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin WM13 by quite a long shot. If I had to choose something more recent I'd go with #DIY vs. The Revival 2 out of 3 falls; the fact they modelled it on Midnights vs. Rock n' Roll is no coincidence to me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yep, I am broadly the same. I prefer my wrestling as more of soap opera sorta-fight than pure spectacle performance art type thing.

When somebody's surviving multiple piledrivers (or even superkicks or whatever) in the middle of a match it just takes me out of it.

Like when everybody was gushing about the Cena / Styles match a few years ago. I was already getting bored by the time we got to the second AA.
    Yep. I don't know if the Cena/KO feud (when KO debuted) was the first to do it, but it was the first time I noticed it, and I hated it immediately. For me a match that goes:

Big move... 2 count... big move... 2 count... big move.... 2 count.... big move.... 2 count etc etc etc and then just ends with big move..... THREE COUNT

is not in the least big entertaining, but people wanked themselves silly over that match, and then every big WWE match for years got sucked into that formula. It made every match shit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    It's all about the selling and getting me invested in the story of the match. I don't like a lot of American wrestling really, given the amount of content. I normally watch Japanese wrestling and even then I'm not subscribed to anything at the moment; New Japan turned me off a bit after the onset of the pandemic and I only dip into other promotions if something is recommended.

For example, off the top of my head the best WWF/E match I've seen is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin WM13 by quite a long shot. If I had to choose something more recent I'd go with #DIY vs. The Revival 2 out of 3 falls; the fact they modelled it on Midnights vs. Rock n' Roll is no coincidence to me.
    Funnily enough, Bret Hart Vs Austin did nothing for me. I wasn't watching at the time and then a few years back my wife had a short lived attempt at getting into wrestling. We grabbed a list of the "top 100 matches" and started watching them and that one was fairly high on the list and it was the first one where neither of us could give a shit. That said, I never, ever cared for Bret Hart, I think everything he ever did was boring as fuck.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all opinions so that's absolutely fair. On that subject, I really never liked Ric Flair and could count the number of matches of his on one hand that I enjoyed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flair is a weird one to me because I don't feel like I've seen any of his "big" matches as they were before my time, with the exception of course of his match with HBK (which was incredible). What I've seen from him has been decent enough but he was an old man, and I'm not sure how much better he was in his prime.

I've never got Sting either, and whenever someone who likes him tries to explain it to me, my response boils down to "So he was cool because he sat on his arse up in the rafters and watched stuff?". I guess you had to be there....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flair's great matches were with Steamboat and Windham in the 80's. He had a brilliant cage match with Ricky Morton that's worth the effort to track down if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm with you on Sting. There was a match with Vader in like 92/93 which was really good but Vader was an absolute monster in his prime so there's that, but other than that I can't name you a singles match of Sting's that was great. He stopped giving a shit in about 1994 and was very much in the right place at the right time with the Crow gimmick because the surfer was already done by that point.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough, Bret Hart Vs Austin did nothing for me. I wasn't watching at the time and then a few years back my wife had a short lived attempt at getting into wrestling. We grabbed a list of the "top 100 matches" and started watching them and that one was fairly high on the list and it was the first one where neither of us could give a shit. That said, I never, ever cared for Bret Hart, I think everything he ever did was boring as fuck.
    I think that, and probably many matches, don't always live up to the hype because I think there is understandably a bit of "you weren't there, man!" about it. Needs the investment, I think very few matches (unless you're a proper technical wrasslin' wonk) will stand up properly in isolation.

There is almost certainly an element of the same thing when I watch AEW now. I have seen reviews of Revolution and there are a bunch of matches I watched that the general consensus is that they're better than I thought they were. Part of this might be because I'm a grumpy old man and I like what I like but some of it is just that I'm not invested. I don't really care who wins any of them and that makes a big difference whether you're watching an old 'classic' or the current Dave Meltzer 9/5 star fapathon.

Yep. I don't know if the Cena/KO feud (when KO debuted) was the first to do it, but it was the first time I noticed it, and I hated it immediately. For me a match that goes:

Big move... 2 count... big move... 2 count... big move.... 2 count.... big move.... 2 count etc etc etc and then just ends with big move..... THREE COUNT

is not in the least big entertaining, but people wanked themselves silly over that match, and then every big WWE match for years got sucked into that formula. It made every match shit.
    Yup. There are still matches I can enjoy depending on the performers involved but the most obviously formulaic is hard to really get into.

It's why often the best matches on a WWE card are the ones Vince clearly doesn't give a fuck about and just says "eh let them have 10-15 minutes and they can do what they want." Probably why at its peak NXT Black and Gold was so good as well because, again, Vince had no interest in it. Then it started to become more and more self indulgent as well.

AEW definitely has its own tropes, I'm just not sure if people aren't bored of them yet or are being more forgiving because it's still the new shiny thing.