Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Putin On the Ritz

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Nobody will understand the same way nobody understood the Balkans. People are just so incapable of empathy.
    There isn't a lol emoji large enough for this.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was just the most banterous response I had for a post where you you were a few hops short of "Crank uncle who has never lived through a war thinks snowflakes should die in one to toughen them up" and talked about others being naïve in the same post as saying it can't JUST be Tory greed stopping them doing more about the people they get a load of money from.

For the record, I think any non-Tory government this country would be liable to vote in would be doing the exact same amount of hand-wringing and hoping it somehow blows over so they can keep lining their pockets and go 'lol Putin eh?' after the fact. But they're the ones in power and they're the ones who have proven themselves to be act in their own self-interest where at all possible so they get the stick.

The notion that this lot would act in line with what you're pretending Christian values are is as laughable as the people acting like Putin being one of the biggest bastards going is a surprise.

EDIT: Out the way all of you who've posted since I opened all these tabs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Nobody will understand the same way nobody understood the Balkans. People are just so incapable of empathy.
    Projection dear boy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's what the west is, whether we like it or not. Love thy neighbour, as opposed to shelling him.
    A fair chunk of the UK have been kneecapping their neighbours in the name of Christianity for decades now.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll empathise at my own discretion.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an historian on Question Time last night who while in support of sanctions, suggested that they may take 10 years to work properly. Who knows what Putin will get up to in that time, or what China will do while the West is already seriously occupied with this shit.

It'll take time, but we'll be going to war eventually. MAD is a lovely concept as it gives the answer everyone wants, but that doesn't make it a sound one, particularly when you're dealing with people who don't share the same approach, or to put it another way, nutters.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    A fair chunk of the UK have been kneecapping their neighbours in the name of Christianity for decades now.
    If that's aimed at us over here, it was never really about religion. It was ethno-nationalist and who stirred that up? Britain, by invading its neighbour rather than loving it.

Plus, you kneecap your own side, not the other. It's how paramilitaries maintain control (take out rival drug dealers).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just warming up for the water wars.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the "it'll take 10 years to work" thing just based on the idea that in the meantime they'd have enough money to just take it on the chin and not back down?

I saw a string of posts by Garry Kasparov of all people saying all the things the West need to be doing immediately but a) I have no idea if he (or others saying similar) knows what he's talking about because I thought he was just a chess man and b) don't know exactly what they all entail. Does it largely boil down to "stop them getting any money from us and freeze them out politically"? Is that a vast oversimplification?

EDIT: @Yevrah

Stop posting, dickheads, I am too slow (in every sense.)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    If that's aimed at us over here, it was never really about religion. It was ethno-nationalist and who stirred that up? Britain, by invading its neighbour rather than loving it.

Plus, you kneecap your own side, not the other. It's how paramilitaries maintain control (take out rival drug dealers).
    I don't really care who's right, who caused it, and the method of killing employed. It's not just coincidence that the Loyalists are Protestants and the Republicans are Catholic. It may not be only about religion, but it's a fair chunk of it. Otherwise are we to believe that Israel/Palestine is nothing to do with religion too?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume it's that Ian, but I don't know for sure. If the Russian money merry-go-round relies on our support and we remove that then it stands to reason they'd bleed out eventually. However, we also rely on that merry-go-round, it's absolutely baked into our economy and removing it is akin to getting eggs back from a baked cake. And that's before you factor in the point Lewis raised that people like Abramovich having endless resources with which to fight this legally.

Which is why I get to where I get to, think about the above playing out on x128 speed and what are you left with? A situation where we're all feeling the pain and have been for years, but it isn't really working as this stuff is so layered in that removing it is almost impossible. Meanwhile Putin's decided he wants a bit more of 'his Russia' back, the Chinese have long since taken Taiwan and are agging for more - It's an absolute fucking nightmare where something has to give. And that something is either let Putin get on with it or escalate matters.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the plus side, Climate Change is no longer the most pressing issue the World faces...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zouma must really be regretting asking Abramovich for help.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying the west is about Christian values is not the same as saying no one in the west has ever done anything immoral.

We managed to stand up for our way of life vs another way of life throughout the Cold War, including being ruthless bastards where necessary, so I don't know why everyone's so surprised that our way of life is not in fact universal 30 years later and still needs defending from the likes of Putin.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Christian values"

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Taliban saying "All sides need to desist from taking positions that could intensify violence" is a good laugh.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people really think we are soft-peddling this (which we clearly aren't) because some Russians have given the Conservative Party money? Presumably they get more money from other sectors, so it must be a nightmare balancing competing interests. If the Ukrainians were smart they could just give a pound extra and the submarines would be on their way.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The Taliban saying "All sides need to desist from taking positions that could intensify violence" is a good laugh.
    It makes perfect sense, really. After all women and children can't really intensify violence.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We (UK gov) aren't soft-peddling it, but the media discourse is like some GCSE paper from 2005.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We (UK gov) aren't soft-peddling it, but the media discourse is like some GCSE paper from 2005.
    I love the BBC analysis. "how hard will it be do defend Ukraine?" "what will we do in the event of nuclear war?" the same childish shit that led to people still scared to go outside and wear masks to bed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of detail behind some of the reporting is shocking. Ok, so you've told me 18 times in an hour that shutting Russia off from SWIFT hasn't happened yet and that some people want it to, but why hasn't it happened and why do some people presumably not want it to?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile I see Abramovich's daughter has gone rogue, sanctions already getting their backs up. Rescind the Harrods loyalty cards.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eurovision not even booting them out.

How can we expect them to stop if people aren't prepared to commit to the harshest measures?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shame of 0 points is greater than any sanction.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that and also saw that Belarus are serving a multi-year ban for having songs with political (pro-Lukashenko) lyrics. Can't they just have a day off occasionally?

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not everything bad is Hitler. Not everything good is Jesus.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those the Belarussian lyrics?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Are those the Belarussian lyrics?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    banger

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The lack of detail behind some of the reporting is shocking. Ok, so you've told me 18 times in an hour that shutting Russia off from SWIFT hasn't happened yet and that some people want it to, but why hasn't it happened and why do some people presumably not want it to?
    It's March/April 2020 again. The important stuff is beyond their knowledge and understanding, so they have to fall back on framing it with strict reference to what they do know - personality-driven shit like Putin being 'irrational' (or worse) and wacky European summit discussions.

'Prime Minister what sort of cake would you offer the Ukrainian...'

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw on the news that the Russian military are in Kyiv. What happens now then? Do they remove (assassinate?) the Ukrainian government and just establish a Russian government? What’s the end game here?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's March/April 2020 again. The important stuff is beyond their knowledge and understanding, so they have to fall back on framing it with strict reference to what they do know - personality-driven shit like Putin being 'irrational' (or worse) and wacky European summit discussions.

'Prime Minister what sort of cake would you offer the Ukrainian...'
    Is it not irrational? Genuine question.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do indeed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Is it not irrational? Genuine question.
    Definitely not. It's a calculated effort that took four months just to get the troops in place and God knows how many months of planning prior to that.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Definitely not. It's a calculated effort that took four months just to get the troops in place and God knows how many months of planning prior to that.

He issued loads of Russian citizenship to the people of the annexed regions in 2019.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That luxury yacht siezed by the Norwegians was apparently going around cutting undersea fibre cables. It has a submarine integrated in to it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyber and infrastructure attacks are about to get properly dirty, I suspect we've seen nothing yet in comparison.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our resident covid denying conspiracy Slav has gone all-in on Putin just defending himself agains America.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Our resident covid denying conspiracy Slav has gone all-in on Putin just defending himself agains America.
    Who's that?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone in his work presumably.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Russian has come out against the war, after about 24 hours of deliberation.

He was still with Vlad when the Salisbury poisonings happened, so obviously this is a step too far for him.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having spent hours last night and this morning reading takes on this, I actually cannot believe how pathetic and stupid our commentariat class is. 'I can't believe it... in 2022...'

Why does it matter what year it is, you stupid fucks? Humans didn't become passive sedentary consumers at the end of the Cold War, you know. Every commentator appearing on British TV and radio seems SHOCKED that Putin is in fact a bastard.

These simps who were brought up in the 80s and 90s in the West, and only know one direction of travel, are incredible in
    their ignorance. I'm finally starting to see why Brexit melted their brains. Maybe it will take war to make them more robustly defend the democratic/Christian values that are the basis of all we enjoy in life? Doubt it.

I don't understand why we aren't employing a massive cultural squeeze on rich Russians over here. Got to make them suffer, as they are what keeps Putin alive. Easy to go 'ooh Tory money' but I'm sure the Tories can find other money, like they always have. The hard power is with the Americans but we have so much soft power.
    Amazing isn't it, real end of history stuff.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Someone in his work presumably.
    Ah that makes sense. I thought he meant some media talking head in Ireland.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking at YouGov and the patriotism and thirst for war is fucking real considering it’s a bunch of hermits that usually answer this stuff. Also a fair chunk of them must think nukes are a bit lol because they’re ready to see us fire the bastards.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's more from Vladimir Putin, who is addressing the Russian Security Council - and, indirectly, the Ukrainian military.

He says Banderites - a reference to World War Two anti-Soviet fighter Stepan Bandera - and so-called neo-Nazis "have put up heavy armaments including multiple rocket launch systems" in cities, including Kyiv and Kharkiv.

"Neo-Nazis" is a regularly used by President Putin to deride the Ukrainian government. Ukraine's President Zelensky, who is Jewish, has dismissed the term.

Putin says: "They are acting like terrorists across the world, shielding behind people in order to accuse Russia of causing casualties among the peaceful population.

"It is known for sure that all this is happening on recommendations from foreign consultants, American advisers above all."

He then addresses Ukrainian forces.

"I am addressing Ukrainian armed forces servicemen once again: do not allow neo-Nazis and Banderites to use your children, your wives and the elderly as a human shield.

"Take power into your own hands. It looks like you and us will find it easier to reach an agreement than with that gang of drug addicts and neo-Nazis in Kyiv."
    Can someone just stick a bullet in this prick and end it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Just looking at YouGov and the patriotism and thirst for war is fucking real considering it’s a bunch of hermits that usually answer this stuff. Also a fair chunk of them must think nukes are a bit lol because they’re ready to see us fire the bastards.
    It'll be all the women and pensioners under no threat of being sent to fight.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get how that sort of narrative would work in the days of the early 1900s but lol at using it these days.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Russian forces advance on the Ukrainian capital, the authorities are calling on the population to do everything they can to resist the invading troops.

Both the Ministry of Defence and the Interior Ministry are appealing to Kyiv residents to "inform us of troop movements, to make Molotov cocktails and neutralise the enemy".

A leaflet with step-by step instructions of how to make petrol bombs has been posted on the Ministry of the Interior's social media.

Interior Ministry adviser Vadym Denysenko says 18,000 machine guns "have been handed out in Kyiv to all volunteers, all those who want to defend our capital with weapons in their arms".

"Ukrainian military equipment is entering Kyiv now to defend it. I am asking all residents of Kyiv - please do not film it, do not film its movements. This is necessary to protect our city."

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something very off about their divvy leader encouraging normal people to do that from his hiding place. You're either fit to be mobilised or you aren't.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, got to think that handing out tens of thousands of Ak-47s probably isn't going to play out well in the long run, but then, desperate times and all.