User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's All Lol at Chelsea

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there been a major lack of investment under any of the various Americans? Liverpool's first bunch were hucksters, but didn't stick around long enough to do serious damage [save nearly getting the club nationalised]. The current mob seem fine even if they have a fairly strict 'model' they seem to operate. United's may have coined it out of the club, but United have hardly been left behind in money terms, is their fans' objection that they aren't simply outspending everyone as they had become accustomed to or just that they've been run badly despite all the money? That feels like it can happen to anyone. Arsenal have fallen by the wayside, but isn't that just returning to long term average? They still seem to have been spending money whilst being rubbish.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US baseball is currently shut down / on strike because the owners are in a collective strop about being expected to spend money on their teams, that's where English football ends up if it gets fully yankified.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That means all the Big Four sports over there have had a lockout in the past decade. The MLS could well be next because they have collective bargaining agreements too, which might make football in general wake up a bit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chelsea's wage bill is £28m a week? [per Pat Nevin]

That seems steep.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Codswallop. Man Utd is £4m.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think something has gone awry there.

£28m a month covering every wage they pay to everyone? Still seems pretty wild unless Marina's on £10m a month, which wouldn't surprise me.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://salarysport.com/football/pre.../chelsea-f.c./

This has it at £3.4 million a week, and I doubt the tea lady's on quadruple that. Mason Mount slumming it on 76k a week while Saul rakes in over 200k, what a world.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How on earth has Lottie Cheek managed to swindle £150,000

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have a good agent.

These things always seem a bit sketchy, but they don't half throw up some anomalous comparisons. Sancho raking in a cool quarter of a million every week. Good lord. Same for Grealish. City's wage bill seems a bit suspiciously low, do their wages follow the price of oil?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City just pay players by shell companies don't they?

In terms of the Americans Liverpool's are ok but nothing more. People say about the investment when we bough VVD, Fabinho & Allisson but they never buy them if they don't get the stupid money for Coutinho and I remain convinced by that. What they have done well in the past few years is sell the shite for decent money. With that in mind it's good to see Eddie Howe at Newcastle with money on the hip.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Glazers' peak scummery was during the Sir Alex Ferguson years when it didn't really matter on the pitch, but since then they have more than backed the various managers. It's just that in doing so they have also been content to let Ed Woodward run the place like a dickhead. That is their real crime over the past decade, along with letting the ground fall to pieces.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    This is the same Government that allowed billions to be fraudulently taken from taxpayers with COVID business loans then wrote it off because they acknowledged they couldn't recover it, remember. Sanctioning a Russian suddenly hasn't made them competent.
    Lolz I was working in high street retail banking when they rolled the covid business loans out and even the most stupid and/or apathetic of my colleagues were like "err but..." when head office explained how they worked.

I remember someone having a business customer from Romania who'd had his business account for about 10 days request to withdraw all £50,000 from his account in physical cash, an amount way above the cut-off where we'd ask them to come back two days later by default so we had time to do due diligence even pre covid. We looked at his account, the 50k credit was the only transaction on the fucking account, and management still basically just shrugged their shoulders, told us to give them the money and "fill out the money laundering form". My man woulda been back in Bucharest for at least a fortnight before any cunt opened that email. Fair play.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best you're gonna get when you got soft shites shitting the bed over a runny nose and making policy men rush unprecedented shit through.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    I’m on about Chelsea fans buying tickets for Newcastle or Brentford away. Why would they get money for that? Why if Abramovich is getting no money can they still not sell tickets if they’re still getting TV and prize money? What’s the difference?

I don’t know if the government think Chelsea’s a money laundering scheme for Russia or what. If it is, it’s not a very good one considering the club has never been run as a money making scheme. They hold about half of the highest losses ever made by a PL club
    Ah, I thought you meant away fans going to The Bridge. Either way, a quick Google suggests that a portion of a ticket price (usually a admin fee) is charged by clubs selling tickets to away games, too - so that may be the reason stopping Chelsea fans attending away games.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    The Glazers' peak scummery was during the Sir Alex Ferguson years when it didn't really matter on the pitch, but since then they have more than backed the various managers. It's just that in doing so they have also been content to let Ed Woodward run the place like a dickhead. That is their real crime over the past decade, along with letting the ground fall to pieces.
    Remember when they went to sign Herrera but ended up talking to some randon guys who were nothing to do with it so had to delay the transfer for a window I would say apart from FSG, that is the biggest problem yank owners experience: incompetent underlings here, especially when it comes to continental business (also see Nicholas Pepe's move to Arsenal).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we all knew what was coming when Woodward spent a summer being told to fuck off by Fabregas and then when he finally worked out he wasn't just playing hard to get his plan B was Fellainimania.

Who is obviously a legend but quite a different player from Fabregas it must be said...

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Govt allowing another Saudi organisation to take over Chelsea would be hilarious

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They buy lots of weapons off us innit.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading around a lot the last couple of days and reflecting as to why my instincts on this are so far, far different from the majority of Chelsea fan opinion, at least online and I can only assume more widely.

My view is basically that we had this coming to us, and if you want to run with the blood money, and if you want to enjoy the fruits of the blood money, you have to know that at some point it's going to catch up with you. I don't see that as complicated at all, so I was really left scratching my head for a time as to why I wasn't seeing this view anywhere at a time when RA's mate is flattening Ukraine.

What I've decided is that it comes down to people and priorities, and for some reason, a very large proportion of contemporary football fans are in it for one thing which is to see their team win tomorrow. Not next week, not in two years - tomorrow. If you like, fans are like kind of anxious children, desperate for the shot of affirmation that a positive result will bring them. As such their relationship with their club has become incredibly juvenile: it's not something rooted in a community or collective belonging or anything like that, like we all try to believe it is. It is simply an extension of the fracturing and isolation of life in the 21st century. These fans have told themselves a story that Abramovich is a Great Thing, like it's a teddy bear they can cling to at night. When reality hits, they lash out, because it strikes at the heart of their deepest insecurities to know that because of this, Chelsea might not win tomorrow.

It's an incredibly similar process (in reverse) to how the same proportion of Newcastle fans have approached their Saudi ownership. They need to tell themselves a certain story, and the absurd justifications - mainly whatabouts, but also in many cases genuine twisting of the truth - are like a shield from reality, a necessary narrative that will protect them from the fear that they might have to stop lying to themselves. Newcastle fans will have their judgement day too, as will any fanbase that submits themselves to control by these sorts of people and tells themselves these bedtime stories. That applies to every filthy owner in history, whether it's Tapie, or blood-sucking American venture capital, or murderers, or those who want to go into a super league.

The part I don't get is how, in all these fans, there isn't even the basis of a social conscience that can even hope to compete with the main priority of your football team winning tomorrow. Is it because society's institutions have been broken down so much that football team affiliation is the only affiliation people have, to the point where it becomes life or death stuff?

If Saudis buy Chelsea, for example, I will be out on day one, because there is a specific reason why I couldn't look myself in the mirror even wanting them to win. That red line was not crossed with Russians, so I'm not painting myself to be some pious saint. But I know I have a particular line around particular issues. Do these other people not have a line? What if Putin himself took over? Would they sing his name too? Lots of them would.

Is it just because I have a steady job and a warm bed and other interests and so I don't need Chelsea to win tomorrow? I don't think so. I am as anxious and insecure as anyone I know. I just have some fucking perspective, and that seems to come at a very high price these days.

Sorry, I just had to write it all down somewhere.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've already seen them win everything. I would possibly give up on United if the Saudis bought them, but would happily see every Middle Eastern gay hoyed off a building for an England World Cup win.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm already well past the point of only really watching United out of something between a habit and a sense of obligation that only I'm holding myself to. It wouldn't take much at all to tip me over into not bothering at all I think.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a brilliant post Jim especially regarding priorities and the break down from the community. I understand why United fans didn't walk away when the glazers took over in 2005 because they didn't want to sacrifice their love of the buzz for the owners (and in comparison the glazers are just unscrupulous rather than international criminals). I'm happy that the vast majority haven't become apologists for them unlike the city and Newcastle fans.

THE GROUP are all having a renaissance watching lower league football and it really is what football is supposed to be. Connection with a community and an affordable Saturday.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for lolling at Chelsea - and will continue to do so - but if Chelsea are sold at knife point to the fucking Saudi's then the whole sport may need consignment to the bin.

Allowing the Newcastle takeover made sense in a world where sport was apolitical. But in this new world - where it clearly fucking isn't - there can be no basis for allowing it. The Saudis are doing the exact same thing the Russians are, just to brown people. And their human rights record is possibly even worse.

That said; where do you find a squeaky clean Billionaire? Bring back fan ownership.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Saudis executed 81 people yesterday.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strap yourself in for the replies.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grown men and bedtime stories.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really does seem to be the case that the Saudis get worse coverage because they butchered that journalist.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You chop up one guy.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just strange that their involvement was seen as some higher level of badness. The UAE are partners in their Yemen escapades, and City also have minority Chinese ownership; but they never killed a journalist (or at least not one who was mates with Western journalists), so 'Pep' gets invited to opine on Tuchel rather than explain whether he considers his own position to be similarly compromised.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just brown people paying browner people to kill other brown people whereas people are likely to click on/read about Russia.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    It's just strange that their involvement was seen as some higher level of badness. The UAE are partners in their Yemen escapades, and City also have minority Chinese ownership; but they never killed a journalist (or at least not one who was mates with Western journalists), so 'Pep' gets invited to opine on Tuchel rather than explain whether he considers his own position to be similarly compromised.
    I think "The Saudis" is used as a catch all term for all of the Middle Eastern oil states (who actually remembers Oman exists ffs?). It was easier when you could just call them Cheeky Arabs.
    Last edited by Spikey M; 13-03-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fact that Saudi clearly being involved in 9/11 never gets talked about is weird.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worked that theory out, given that it absolutely collapsed the price of oil overnight.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's also that 1) Saudi Arabia is sufficiently involved with the Americans/West that people feel like they can attack them as an extension of that; and 2) there is a strain of deluded thinking that sees the House of Saud as some sort of perverting influence on the country and its population of otherwise moderate, non-mental Muslims, rather than the least terrible option for them and us.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've been reading around a lot the last couple of days and reflecting as to why my instincts on this are so far, far different from the majority of Chelsea fan opinion, at least online and I can only assume more widely.

My view is basically that we had this coming to us, and if you want to run with the blood money, and if you want to enjoy the fruits of the blood money, you have to know that at some point it's going to catch up with you. I don't see that as complicated at all, so I was really left scratching my head for a time as to why I wasn't seeing this view anywhere at a time when RA's mate is flattening Ukraine.

What I've decided is that it comes down to people and priorities, and for some reason, a very large proportion of contemporary football fans are in it for one thing which is to see their team win tomorrow. Not next week, not in two years - tomorrow. If you like, fans are like kind of anxious children, desperate for the shot of affirmation that a positive result will bring them. As such their relationship with their club has become incredibly juvenile: it's not something rooted in a community or collective belonging or anything like that, like we all try to believe it is. It is simply an extension of the fracturing and isolation of life in the 21st century. These fans have told themselves a story that Abramovich is a Great Thing, like it's a teddy bear they can cling to at night. When reality hits, they lash out, because it strikes at the heart of their deepest insecurities to know that because of this, Chelsea might not win tomorrow.

It's an incredibly similar process (in reverse) to how the same proportion of Newcastle fans have approached their Saudi ownership. They need to tell themselves a certain story, and the absurd justifications - mainly whatabouts, but also in many cases genuine twisting of the truth - are like a shield from reality, a necessary narrative that will protect them from the fear that they might have to stop lying to themselves. Newcastle fans will have their judgement day too, as will any fanbase that submits themselves to control by these sorts of people and tells themselves these bedtime stories. That applies to every filthy owner in history, whether it's Tapie, or blood-sucking American venture capital, or murderers, or those who want to go into a super league.

The part I don't get is how, in all these fans, there isn't even the basis of a social conscience that can even hope to compete with the main priority of your football team winning tomorrow. Is it because society's institutions have been broken down so much that football team affiliation is the only affiliation people have, to the point where it becomes life or death stuff?

If Saudis buy Chelsea, for example, I will be out on day one, because there is a specific reason why I couldn't look myself in the mirror even wanting them to win. That red line was not crossed with Russians, so I'm not painting myself to be some pious saint. But I know I have a particular line around particular issues. Do these other people not have a line? What if Putin himself took over? Would they sing his name too? Lots of them would.

Is it just because I have a steady job and a warm bed and other interests and so I don't need Chelsea to win tomorrow? I don't think so. I am as anxious and insecure as anyone I know. I just have some fucking perspective, and that seems to come at a very high price these days.

Sorry, I just had to write it all down somewhere.
    From a relatively neutral position (and almost certainly the biggest fans messageboard outside the Premier League) the second paragraph is very much in line with the views of Sunderland fans, and your third paragraph is something often discussed on our board with regards our current malaise versus expectations: in our case it's winning tomorrow versus building some sort of platform or foundation for the future.

A quick point about Luke Edwards and his ilk - the north east journalists have firmly embedded themselves with the Saudi ownership.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Well, y'knaw, it's good for the club. Gives the community a real lift. They've suffered for so long, etc ..."

I'd rather we had someone else in charge. All I can hope for is an ownership that operates the club well, well within sensible boundaries.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m down to third tier here now for soccer to go and watch (which is the only point really). I’m not far enough removed from it not to be bothered with Shelbourne as a club yet, but I presume that’ll come with years of not going. Maybe it’s just time for giving up on it altogether outside the national team.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've never worked that theory out, given that it absolutely collapsed the price of oil overnight.
    If we ever needed another 9/11 it's now. >£100 to tank my car today. Outrageous.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we ever needed another 9/11 it's now. >£100 to tank my car today. Outrageous.
    I put £50 in yesterday and it was only just above half way. I nearly cried.

I filled it entirely for £60 about 2 months ago.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This rumoured oil glut later in the year better come to fruition because fuck paying these rates long-term. At least it's a global problem so at least the French will riot about it on our behalf.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £52 for the missus’ Fiat earlier today. What a car

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still don’t pay for fuel. Until I find a time when we’re so fucked that they sack me -

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone at my work is buying electric cars because bizarrely (unless there's some tax break I don't know about?) the client have set up a load of charging points so nobody even has to use their home electric. My monthly fuel bill is getting somewhere near a monthly payment on a Tesla.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sucked in

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The commuting CUNT I hate at work reckons the job stops making financial sense at £1.20 a litre, so I like to keep going on and on about the price of petrol and gloat about planning to cycle in during the good weather.

'I might even get an electric scooter and charge it here!'

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What should be done is to stick to petrol and diesel and let every country grind to a halt when it runs out. An apt punishment for how governments have let other means be implemented.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I put £50 in yesterday and it was only just above half way. I nearly cried.

I filled it entirely for £60 about 2 months ago.
    I'm getting a fuel card from work next week. Free petrol.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taxable.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent $140 on fuel the other day. That’s about £85, or 537 potatoes for you Giggles.

Can someone plutonium pill Putin, please?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £65 to half fill the 9 seater yesterday.