User Tag List

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 - El Plan

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F1 2022 - El Plan

First pre-season test starts tomorrow so we might as well get the ball rolling on this one. I'll do a full breakdown for the non-nerds.

Calendar TRANSFERS:
    Australia, Canada, Japan and Singapore return; Miami debuts.
    Portugal, Qatar, Styria and Turkey out; China still playing the COVID card.

Grand Prix Circuit Date
    Bahrain Sakhir March 20
    Saudi Arabia Jeddah March 27
    Australia Melbourne April 10
    Emilia Romagna Imola April 24
    Miami Miami Gardens May 8
    Spain Catalunya May 22
    Monaco Monaco May 29
    Azerbaijan Baku June 12
    Canada Montreal June 19
    Britain Silverstone July 3
    Austria Red Bull Ring July 10
    France Paul Ricard July 24
    Hungary Hungaroring July 31
    Belgium Spa August 28
    Netherlands Zandvoort September 4
    Italy Monza September 11
    Russia Sochi September 25
    Singapore Marina Bay October 2
    Japan Suzuka October 9
    United States Austin October 23
    Mexico City Mexico City October 30
    Sao Paulo Interlagos November 13
    Abu Dhabi Yas Marina November 20

Team TRANSFERS:
    None. Red Bull and AlphaTauri will run engines badged as Red Bull Powertrains in 2022 but it's effectively the same Honda engine as last year; no other changes.

Driver TRANSFERS:
    Kimi Raikkonen has retired at the end of 2021. His seat at Alfa Romeo is taken by Valtteri Bottas. His seat at Mercedes is taken by George Russell. His seat at Williams is taken by Alexander Albon.
    Antonio Giovinazzi has been released by Alfa Romeo at the end of 2021. His seat is taken by Guanyu Zhou.
    Nikita Mazepin has been released by Haas between the first and second tests due to sanctions against Russians. His seat is taken by Kevin Magnussen.

Constructor Car Engine Drivers
    Alfa Romeo C42 Ferrari (24) Guanyu Zhou
    (77) Valtteri Bottas
    AlphaTauri AT03 Red Bull (10) Pierre Gasly
    (22) Yuki Tsunoda
    Alpine A522 Renault (14) Fernando Alonso
    (31) Esteban Ocon
    Aston Martin AMR22 Mercedes (5) Sebastian Vettel
    (18) Lance Stroll
    Ferrari F1-75 Ferrari (16) Charles Leclerc
    (55) Carlos Sainz Jr.
    Haas VF-22 Ferrari (9) Nikita Mazepin
    (20) Kevin Magnussen
    (47) Mick Schumacher
    McLaren MCL36 Mercedes (3) Daniel Ricciardo
    (4) Lando Norris
    Mercedes W13 Mercedes (44) Lewis Hamilton
    (63) George Russell
    Red Bull RB18 Red Bull (1) Max Verstappen
    (11) Sergio Perez
    Williams FW44 Mercedes (6) Nicholas Latifi
    (23) Alexander Albon

Rule changes:
    - I think everybody is aware of the main rule change which involves a complete rework of the technical regulations, resulting in radically different cars from what we've seen in the last few years. Ground effect has been reintroduced along with a complete ban on bargeboards and a massive simplification of the front wing design, in an attempt to "make racing better" by eradicating much of the dirty air the old cars would produce (thereby massively reducing downforce of the trailing car).
    - Additionally, those chunky 13" wheels we've associated with Formula 1 forever have been ditched in favour of 18" wheels. They now look a lot more like road car wheels which may or may not lead to increased sales for Pirelli in this sector. Rims are now standard equipment developed by BBS complete with 90's style hubcap wheel covers in a further attempt to control airflow from the cars.
    - Sprint races remain, again at three races (this time Emilia Romagna, Austria and Sao Paulo). Points are now given to the top 8 (8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) instead of just the top 3.
    - Drivers who make it through to Q3 no longer have to start the race on the set of tyres they set their fastest lap on in Q2.
    - Michael Masi is out as race director for making up his own rules in Abu Dhabi.
    Last edited by Ben; 16-03-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boldest prediction?

Mine: Leclerc will challenge for the driver’s championship.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In honour of the subtitle, I've got to go with Renault actually sorting out their engine and El Plan will indeed succeed and a 40-year old Fernando Alonso will be World Champion.

With my feet on the ground I'm going to say there'll not actually be much change to the pecking order and races won't be any better (as much because nearly every race in 2021 was fucking brilliant rather than the new regs being a damp squib).

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bold prediction - Albon to get at least two podiums. That Williams is going to be fast out of the blocks.

Realistically, most teams will stay where they are but hopefully we get some surprise winners like we have in the past couple of seasons. As long as it's close again, it'll be enjoyable.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main desire for the season is for G-Russ to run into the side of Verstappen at Tarzan, causing some sort of riot in which Christian Horner is tragically trampled to death.

Bold prediction: Carlos Signs to beat Leclerc (again).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an opening post.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ian, take note. I expect every football thread you start to be as detailed from now on.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    My main desire for the season is for G-Russ to run into the side of Verstappen at Tarzan, causing some sort of riot in which Christian Horner is tragically trampled to death.
    I hope its Bottas that does it just for old time's sake.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perez to beat Russell. Norris to beat Ricciardo. Sainz to beat Leclerc. Stroll to beat Vettel. Hamilton world champ.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a feeling that despite their progress, the new McLaren is going to be a complete dog.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    @Ian, take note. I expect every football thread you start to be as detailed from now on.
    I think you know there is not a chance of that happening.

Unless somebody catches my imagination like with the Vietnam or Southend threads.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    How do you know it’s not Ian?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything's up in the air unless you're Haas. Although wasn't testing where Brawn showed their hand? Not that I see that happening again. The grid's had two years to think on this. Everyone will have a thesis.

Judging by the onboards from the Williams, I wonder if those covers over the front wheels can play havok with spray in wet conditions?
    Last edited by Shindig; 22-02-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    Everything's up in the air unless you're Haas. Although wasn't testing where Brawn showed their hand? Not that I see that happening again. The grid's had two years to think on this. Everyone will have a thesis.
    This is probably revisionist but I seem to remember at least a few teams thinking Brawn had gone full beans in testing (in part to win sponsors) so weren’t overly concerned and thought they’d reel them in a lot quicker than it turned out.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair. That thing barely had any logos on it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second bold prediction: Haas will get a podium this season.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the Merc is tooling around again with that weird chicken wire fence they seem to stick on the front of the car every year. What's the deal with that thing? Is it some sort of sensor array?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    How do you know it’s not Ian?
    Shh!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I see the Merc is tooling around again with that weird chicken wire fence they seem to stick on the front of the car every year. What's the deal with that thing? Is it some sort of sensor array?
    Sounds like the air flow sensors they use, was it sat behind the front wheels? If so they'll be looking at how the air flows off/around the front bits of the car to make sure it's all being directed into the big floor scoops under the sidepods.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Adrian Newey doing something nobody else has done pointing to them dominating, or can they all copy it after a couple of races?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, with their now much talked about undercut sidepods?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    Sounds like the air flow sensors they use, was it sat behind the front wheels? If so they'll be looking at how the air flows off/around the front bits of the car to make sure it's all being directed into the big floor scoops under the sidepods.
    Aye, that's the one.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally seeing a real version of a Red Bull today. Seems like Mercedes are on their own with that front wing design. It's so interesting to see the different ways the teams have gone about the same regulations.

My bold prediction for this season: Carlos Sainz jr. World Drivers Champion.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Red Bull side pods look wacky. Top three teams with three completely different concepts. It’s going to be a fun season, at least to begin with.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tickets for Sochi have been pulled. Apparently Turkey has been signed up as a replacement. I’ll update opening post if/when confirmed.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The helmet is the sexiest part of that. There needs to be a rule about drivers using only 3/4 colours on their helmet and stick to the same one all season. Like fuck am I looking at the TV post things to tell the cars apart.

Also, mandatory names for all corners. No more 'Turn 13'. Make me FIA president now.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I miss being able to recognise drivers from iconic helmet designs. Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard, Lauda, Hill, Senna. I know Lewis has a Senna motif going on but I can't call it from memory.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more than 3 colours for a helmet and the size of paddock motorhomes should be directly proportional to how prominent the numbers are.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The helmet is the sexiest part of that. There needs to be a rule about drivers using only 3/4 colours on their helmet and stick to the same one all season. Like fuck am I looking at the TV post things to tell the cars apart.

Also, mandatory names for all corners. No more 'Turn 13'. Make me FIA president now.
    Yes, please.

Have I ever shown off my Valentino Rossi replica helmets in here? I look proper pro riding around on my Korean scooter with a big yellow 46 on the back of my head.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently yesterday Leclerc was 5km/h faster on the straights compared to last year.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's even nicer without the stripes.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Turkeys new position of not having a race and getting one anyway every year.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haas removed the Uralkali branding because now they’re genuinely concerned they won’t get paid due to sanctions. Guenther already making noises about binning Nikita.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like this could also spell the end for Mazepin. What a shame.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why there isn't already a total ban on all Russian involvement in this and any sport, much like the South African apartheid ban.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because F1 is inherently corrupt and cares about one thing only: cash. Everything else is a facade.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because like in all things we want to feel good about banning cheats but it's too inconvenient/awkward to actually do it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Gary Neville and the super league this appears to be breaking you a bit Jim.

Money drives capitalism and a capitalist society is the one in which we live.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Like Gary Neville and the super league this appears to be breaking you a bit Jim.

Money drives capitalism and a capitalist society is the one in which we live.
    We also lived in a capitalist society when South Africa were locked out of international sport, when English clubs were banned post Heysel, and so on. What we live in now is the sportswashing era, and sport itself needs to end it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your current ideas for corner names, Jimmy?

I hope there are some TTH themed ones.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also lived in a capitalist society when South Africa were locked out of international sport, when English clubs were banned post Heysel, and so on. What we live in now is the sportswashing era, and sport itself needs to end it.
    Yes, but the landscape was so different back then, the sports weren't awash with all this dodgy money and it's much less attractive to break ties as a result. I assume you're not following Chelsea anymore as of now, right?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can probably still follow Chelsea and hold the view that dodgy owner money should probably be expunged from the game.

Good luck with that one though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Yes, but the landscape was so different back then, the sports weren't awash with all this dodgy money and it's much less attractive to break ties as a result. I assume you're not following Chelsea anymore as of now, right?
    I've always been hostile to the Abramovich ownership (or a lot more hostile than your average Chelsea fan is - I'm not going to switch to supporting Southend because a particular brand of cunt owns my club at this time) but at this point, if I was the FA/PL/UK Gov or whoever has the power, I would unilaterally stop televising our matches and make the team play behind closed doors (cutting off all income and exposure) until such time as the ownership changes or is linked to a less violent regime in Russia.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should bring back calling them "Chelski" like my dad still does as if it's eternally 2005. That'll cut 'em deep.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine the gallery of shitheads lining up to buy Chelsea in the seized assets auction. Ken Bates coming back during Super Sunday like when Ric Flair bought Shane and Stephanie out.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be Mike Ashley.

"I did it ... for the high street." And I hope this ends up with 'Andretti' hastily scrawled on the side of the Haas' at some point this season.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    "I did it ... for the high street." And I hope this ends up with 'Andretti' hastily scrawled on the side of the Haas' at some point this season.
    That was my first thought. Andretti will just buy the carcass of Haas.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the Bahrain test be televised?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, full coverage from Sky et al.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always been hostile to the Abramovich ownership (or a lot more hostile than your average Chelsea fan is - I'm not going to switch to supporting Southend because a particular brand of cunt owns my club at this time) but at this point, if I was the FA/PL/UK Gov or whoever has the power, I would unilaterally stop televising our matches and make the team play behind closed doors (cutting off all income and exposure) until such time as the ownership changes or is linked to a less violent regime in Russia.
    So you're not going to stop following Chelsea but you expect the PL to stop allowing fans into their games or tv stations broadcasting their games? A corking example of how we're all complicit in this to some degree and how we really don't care enough to do anything about it.