https://www.facebook.com/10451096656...76634123/?vh=e

Some fucking brilliant quotes in here.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    Is that Lewis?
    Well it's definitely not Spikey, the head is too big.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is glorious, Kiko.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Adam and Eve lived to 900 odd" is probably my favourite.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    Well it's definitely not Spikey, the head is too big.
    And it ain't Mahow because the hands are too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocking new symptoms revealed.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/10451096656...76634123/?vh=e

Some fucking brilliant quotes in here.
    That is utterly terrifying and points towards the internet being the most dangerous thing ever invented.

My Echo chamber is full of rabid liberals who would like Trump assassinated (presumably human rights only apply if you like the person) and the vote removed from anyone over 60 (why stop there? Just euthanise them all, it's cheaper.), so I don't encounter any of the views aired there, ever. But my word, so many stupid people, saying things with no basis in fact whatsoever. If someone were to mobilise them all we'd be bang in trouble.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good day out, that video.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out yesterday, my half sister hasn't my nephew any jabs (he's 11 now) and one of her friends hasn't either (dun the reserch). There's a genuine wave of ignorance who think they have found some enlightenment through internet videos.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocking new symptoms revealed.
    Admittedly I haven't read the article (article may be too kind), but surely autumn is the natural time of year for gravy sales to increase?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed Kik's.

It shouldn't even need to be commented on but I'm astounded when you hear things like "the government wants to control us" (I mean, they already do, right?) and "Bill Gates wants to 1,2,?,Profit us all" (while already having more money than God).

The horse has well and truly bolted and I've no idea how you get it back in the stable as a result, but the internet has to be regulated. You simply can't have a platform where anyone can spread moron so easily and completely unchecked.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regulation of the internet is exactly what pushes more and more people into conspiracy looneyland. That's not the answer. But I don't really know what is

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need re-education camps tbh.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    You simply can't have a platform where anyone can spread moron so easily and completely unchecked.
    Yeah, look at this place!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a two-one in science Bill!

In science.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out yesterday, my half sister hasn't my nephew any jabs (he's 11 now) and one of her friends hasn't either (dun the reserch). There's a genuine wave of ignorance who think they have found some enlightenment through internet videos.
    My Mrs got approached by a vaccine nut in the park when she was pregnant with our youngest, she posted on Facebook about it later on and the amount of apparently sane people we know that agreed with said nut job was unreal. It's crazy how widespread it is. Dangerous too.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mugbull View Post
    Regulation of the internet is exactly what pushes more and more people into conspiracy looneyland. That's not the answer. But I don't really know what is
    I don't agree. We regulate every other form of media and that's regarded universally as a good thing. The stuff those people are seeing is literally reaching an audience in exactly the same way and just as effectively as it would if Huw Edwards was reading it out.

I know we humans like to think we've reached the pinnacle and seen everything as a result and we're all amazed/disgusted at how well Trump/The Russians/Cambridge Analytica have manipulated people on the internet, but what if that's the tip of the iceberg?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree. We regulate every other form of media and that's regarded universally as a good thing. The stuff those people are seeing is literally reaching an audience in exactly the same way and just as effectively as it would if Huw Edwards was reading it out.

I know we humans like to think we've reached the pinnacle and seen everything as a result and we're all amazed/disgusted at how well Trump/The Russians/Cambridge Analytica have manipulated people on the internet, but what if that's the tip of the iceberg?
    Do you think Twitter censoring (putting warnings on) Trump's tweets about the election is a good idea? How about them suspending the accounts of retard conservative bloggers?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    My Mrs got approached by a vaccine nut in the park when she was pregnant with our youngest, she posted on Facebook about it later on and the amount of apparently sane people we know that agreed with said nut job was unreal. It's crazy how widespread it is. Dangerous too.
    On the balance of probabilities (quite comfortably on the balance I should add) I'd vaccinate all my kids if I had any, but there will absolutely be things we're doing today that in decades to come we'll release were a bad idea. A vaccine may fall into that camp.

Now we've seemingly found one for COVID it'll be interesting to see what the uptake is, I would imagine it'll struggle to hit 50%.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's definitely a difference between written comment and videos which are then linked by sophisticated algorithms pushing people down rabbit holes - that element needs some sort of regulation/control.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think Twitter censoring (putting warnings on) Trump's tweets about the election is a good idea? How about them suspending the accounts of retard conservative bloggers?
    The first thing I'd do with Twitter is remove the anonymity from it. But to answer your question, I do, yes. You can't have people making claims without evidence (I see now he's claiming a role in the vaccine) that are then seen and believed by millions of people.

I wouldn't ban him or the conservative bloggers as they'll just use the rest of the internet to make their case and play the martyr, but making his page more atrocious to read than Twitter already is strikes me as decent halfway house.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This stuff about kids regressing to nappies and forgetting how to use forks and knives gives another perspective to the school meals business. A lot of parents are just mongs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we've seemingly found one for COVID it'll be interesting to see what the uptake is, I would imagine it'll struggle to hit 50%.
    The Seasonal flu jab hit 75% in the target audience last year (over 65s), I'd imagine a covid one would be doing at least 95% in that group, and among the at risk as well. Maybe not in the wider population, but even then, the uptake would be massive. There are nutters, but they are a very vocal minority and I think, when push comes to shove and maybe certain 'rights' (ie travel) are withheld from the non-vaccinated you'll see the resistance melt away.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I'd do with Twitter is remove the anonymity from it. But to answer your question, I do, yes. You can't have people making claims without evidence (I see now he's claiming a role in the vaccine) that are then seen and believed by millions of people.

I wouldn't ban him or the conservative bloggers as they'll just use the rest of the internet to make their case and play the martyr, but making his page more atrocious to read than Twitter already is strikes me as decent halfway house.
    So you'd remove tweets from users that make claims without supporting evidence? Might as well shut yourself down at that point if you're Twitter. Or do you only just remove tweets from certain people? And how do you judge whether something is valid or not?

I detest "conservative" thought wherever it metastasizes, but even I can see they're applying a different standard of irrelevance/falsehood/proof to left Twitter than to right Twitter. That's a genuine grievance imo, and it's exactly what fuels these idiots like Joe Rogan to dabble in the conspiracy world

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanted to do something about internet bullshit you would just ban people. I'm against it as a general rule, but the fact is that most people aren't capable or willing to look beyond most widely-available sites for this stuff, so if it isn't easy to access then they won't access it. When did you last hear anything from or about Milo Yiannopoulos? He was absolutely massive, but when he got punted off Twitter he practically disappeared. Censorship works, which is why the 'we need free speech to debate bad ideas' idiots annoy me. You don't actually, so why not try defending it on actual principle you fannies?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right-wing crazies don't even get their endorphins from Twitter anymore, there's plenty of other website that cater to their fantasies. You can block people on Twitter but they'll go elsewhere, people will follow, and Twitter will become a left-wing thought bubble not taken seriously by anyone anymore. Great. Do you ban Alex Jones' private website from the internet at that point?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you'd remove tweets from users that make claims without supporting evidence? Might as well shut yourself down at that point if you're Twitter. Or do you only just remove tweets from certain people? And how do you judge whether something is valid or not?

I detest "conservative" thought wherever it metastasizes, but even I can see they're applying a different standard of irrelevance/falsehood/proof to left Twitter than to right Twitter. That's a genuine grievance imo, and it's exactly what fuels these idiots like Joe Rogan to dabble in the conspiracy world
    Not saying remove tweets (as I agree that's a bad idea for the reasons you state), but there has to be a way for someone to see that a claim they're reading might not be true. It shouldn't need that and maybe education would be better, but we've tried that and it's obviously not working. They touch on it in that otherwise awful documentary about social media on Netflix, but Facebook was seemingly used to facilitate genocide. I mean, if that isn't enough to show that there's a huge problem we might as well adopt the US approach to school shootings.

It should also apply to both sides, as agree as well that being political about who you're silencing is moronic.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell people they can't go Benidorm without the jab and it'll be far higher than 50%.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right-wing crazies don't even get their endorphins from Twitter anymore, there's plenty of other website that cater to their fantasies. You can block people on Twitter but they'll go elsewhere, people will follow, and Twitter will become a left-wing thought bubble not taken seriously by anyone anymore. Great. Do you ban Alex Jones' private website from the internet at that point?
    You're right, and you can't ever squash it completely; but the mainstream sites carry ninety per cent of this stuff, and it's only a problem once otherwise 'normal' people start giving it a second look, so getting it all off Facebook would do most of the work.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Tell people they can't go Benidorm without the jab and it'll be far higher than 50%.
    That probably is the solution, but it plays right into the hands of the nutters. "They won't let me have my freedom unless I have Bill Gates' jizzum in me"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I'm becoming quite sceptical when it comes to all these polls putting support for lockdown at 75% and whatever when put up against saving the economy. I think people associate 'the economy' with Mr Moneybags and 40 stone big business fat cats smoking cigars. If you asked 'Would you support lockdown if it meant that you personally lost your job' I think results would be very different.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The anti-vax brigade will never be convinced otherwise when people in the positions of Boris Johnson, when questioned about the number of people who will refuse the vaccine, rather than say something like ‘enough scientific evidence and research will be shared in a nationwide campaign etc’ he basically shrugs and says their opinions “hold no water.” And that’s an actual quote from the other afternoon.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tier 3 for Perth and Kinross. No idea how they think it’s remotely bad here but I’m not complaining. Mon the hard lockdown

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the balance of probabilities (quite comfortably on the balance I should add) I'd vaccinate all my kids if I had any, but there will absolutely be things we're doing today that in decades to come we'll release were a bad idea. A vaccine may fall into that camp.

I can't see it being a vaccine. Has a vaccine ever been anything but a massive benefit?

It will be our missuse of Antibiotics. I don't know how we work it or how far we can push it, but we need to start giving infections a chance to heal by themselves and we definitely need to stop giving Antibiotics to dickheads that bowl into their doctors surgery because they've had a cold and their cough hasn't gone away after a week.

Then there's their use in farming and the fact that you can buy them over thole counter in some countries. It's pretty bleak.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s a “new” social media platform called Voice that forces you to do a “3D selfie” on registration and it looks like you can’t change your name on it. Although you could sign up as Hulk Hogan, I guess.

(I have 4 invites if anyone wants in. Need your email address.)
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    You're right, and you can't ever squash it completely; but the mainstream sites carry ninety per cent of this stuff, and it's only a problem once otherwise 'normal' people start giving it a second look, so getting it all off Facebook would do most of the work.
    They're only mainstream as long as enough people across the spectrum are using it. Once a critical mass start using another forum created for their needs, Twitter stops being the only default. That can easily happen and probably will once all the idiots are off the site an they self-organize a bit

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see it being a vaccine. Has a vaccine ever been anything but a massive benefit?

It will be our missuse of Antibiotics. I don't know how we work it or how far we can push it, but we need to start giving infections a chance to heal by themselves and we definitely need to stop giving Antibiotics to dickheads that bowl into their doctors surgery because they've had a cold and their cough hasn't gone away after a week.

Then there's their use in farming and the fact that you can buy them over thole counter in some countries. It's pretty bleak.
    Isn't the issue more with the use on the food we eat rather than Linda using antibiotics instead of putting a plaster on?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're only mainstream as long as enough people across the spectrum are using it. Once a critical mass start using another forum created for their needs, Twitter stops being the only default. That can easily happen and probably will once all the idiots are off the site an they self-organize a bit
    Off to parlour it is!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ability to remain anonymous has a positive impact when it comes to reporting events in autocratic regimes. I don't think it's a solution I'd welcome.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying remove tweets (as I agree that's a bad idea for the reasons you state), but there has to be a way for someone to see that a claim they're reading might not be true. It shouldn't need that and maybe education would be better, but we've tried that and it's obviously not working. They touch on it in that otherwise awful documentary about social media on Netflix, but Facebook was seemingly used to facilitate genocide. I mean, if that isn't enough to show that there's a huge problem we might as well adopt the US approach to school shootings.

It should also apply to both sides, as agree as well that being political about who you're silencing is moronic.
    But no one knows how to define truth. There are a few obvious cases (Paris is the capital of Brazil etc) but most everything else is conjecture and educated guesswork. How do any of us really know that anything that happens in Washington actually happens the way we're told it does? We all put faith in someone or something. Most people are confident, for instance, that Assad used chemical weapons against his civilians. Plenty of people dispute that. How the fuck is Twitter supposed to be certain enough about what happened in bumfuck Syria to censor someone's claim to the contrary?

Some things are fairly easy for most people to take a leap of faith to believe are true, like that this election wasn't rigged. But if you start applying that to other subjects, you're going to have to apply it arbitrarily based on whatever the committee of censors believes to be true. I'm sure there are claims that you think are obviously false that I don't, and vice versa. There's even more dissonance between me and someone like Lewis. But we're all supposed to band together (as the renegade troupe for the protection of the TRUTH!!) in support of a company telling us what's wrong and what's not? No chance

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the issue more with the use on the food we eat rather than Linda using antibiotics instead of putting a plaster on?
    It's all of the above I believe. It's crazy that it's not being treated as a bigger problem though. A return to people routinely dying from stomach bugs is a real and uncomfortably close scenario.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But no one knows how to define truth. There are a few obvious cases (Paris is the capital of Brazil etc) but most everything else is conjecture and educated guesswork. How do any of us really know that anything that happens in Washington actually happens the way we're told it does? We all put faith in someone or something. Most people are confident, for instance, that Assad used chemical weapons against his civilians. Plenty of people dispute that. How the fuck is Twitter supposed to be certain enough about what happened in bumfuck Syria to censor someone's claim to the contrary?

Some things are fairly easy for most people to take a leap of faith to believe are true, like that this election wasn't rigged. But if you start applying that to other subjects, you're going to have to apply it arbitrarily based on whatever the committee of censors believes to be true. I'm sure there are claims that you think are obviously false that I don't, and vice versa. There's even more dissonance between me and someone like Lewis. But we're all supposed to band together (as the renegade troupe for the protection of the TRUTH!!) in support of a company telling us what's wrong and what's not? No chance
    Reading that (which makes points that drive a bus through mine) I'm struggling to see how it would work, but then how does it work in other media? Is it the case that if you don't have regulation when something is in its infancy, you never can?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all of the above I believe. It's crazy that it's not being treated as a bigger problem though. A return to people routinely dying from stomach bugs is a real and uncomfortably close scenario.
    Is this because our bodies are becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very much both.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not our bodies, it's the bacteria that the antibiotics are meant to kill.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    It's not our bodies, it's the bacteria that the antibiotics are meant to kill.
    This sort of shit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46809526

Luverly.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. People don't become antibiotic resistant. Bacteria become antibiotic resistant.

It's difficult to explain well, but basically if you constantly expose bacteria to the antibiotics we have, you select for the ones which have mutations which confer some degree of resistance (by killing off the ones which don't). Over time those strains can become completely resistant to certain antibiotics or classes of antibiotics. Eventually you can create bacteria which are not susceptible to any of the antibiotics we have. There are strains of TB which are getting to that point.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 10-11-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    It's very much both.
    Fair enough Doc.