Results 13,351 to 13,400 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More nationwide restrictions coming...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54457377

Top quality analysis from Kuenssberg again I see.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closing down hospitality is braindead but it's clear they will just do any old shit to appear as though they're in control. It's also clear that England will follow whatever Scotland does because they don't want to risk Nicola having better results (Gove is said to be the man behind this strategy).

The public remain massive lockdown enthusiasts (every poll says so in massive numbers) but I wonder if this will change when it starts hitting home during a bleak winter.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's reaching the point where it's getting properly insane now.

There is no exit strategy currently, so are people seriously saying they want to live like this forever?

And also, where are the stories of people going hungry, being kicked out of their homes and ending up destitute as a result of this shit? It must have happened, yet I haven't seen a single one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would back a lockdown purely because it's inevitable and the sooner we do it the sooner it ends.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for following Scotland, Sturgeon's only doing more than us so she too can show that Scotland are better at handling their own affairs. Which if that one-upmanship continues, surely leads to one outcome and one outcome only.... SHUT IT (ALL) DOWN, SHUT IT DOWN NOW!

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I would back a lockdown purely because it's inevitable and the sooner we do it the sooner it ends.
    And the sooner we have another one.

I'm not sure you've thought this through.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    It's reaching the point where it's getting properly insane now.

There is no exit strategy currently, so are people seriously saying they want to live like this forever?

And also, where are the stories of people going hungry, being kicked out of their homes and ending up destitute as a result of this shit? It must have happened, yet I haven't seen a single one.
    Evictions are banned, so the homelessness isn't happening yet. And that's a massive YET. At present Landlords are only able to take action after issuing a 6 month long Notice of Seeking Possession or if there is more than 6 months worth of Rent Arrears. Then, the court have made it clear that Possession will only be granted if it can be proved that Covid has played no part in the tenants struggles. Which, let's face it, you'd have to be a fucking idiot not to claim.

Mortgage based possessions I'm not sure on, but I imagine they're in a similar situation.

I'm not opposed to them making evictions difficult whilst this is going on, we all know there's some unscrupulous cunts out there that would take advantage somehow, but at some point we will get back to normal and the Councils Homeless Prevention teams are going to get drowned.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have. I expect things will be ok again come spring, and in the mean time I'd rather a couple of mini-lockdowns than an 8 week ball ache.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NHS can't handle this and flu season.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have. I expect things will be ok again come spring, and in the mean time I'd rather a couple of mini-lockdowns than an 8 week ball ache.
    Spring this year was fine...

It's not going away and it's going to come back again, the timetable of when is only altered by when we lock down and how long for. As Richard Madeley quite brilliantly put it, it's a never-ending game of hide and seek.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    The NHS can't handle this and flu season.
    There's not much to handle yet.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah. Remember Spring when the NHS fobbed the oldies back to the care homes? Aye. Well handled.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off licences look to be next to go here.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah. Remember Spring when the NHS fobbed the oldies back to the care homes? Aye. Well handled.
    What?

We're nowhere near where we were in Spring and the latest measures haven't even been in place that long yet.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring this year was fine...

It's not going away and it's going to come back again, the timetable of when is only altered by when we lock down and how long for. As Richard Madeley quite brilliantly put it, it's a never-ending game of hide and seek.
    Spring was fucked last year because we let it get so out of hand in the winter. Summer was fine once we got the numbers down. It really does seem as simple as 'people inside: bad, people outside: good, which is why Queenslander and John Arne can nuzzle my chilly bollocks with their, tanned, smug, mask free faces.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer was fine because we basically shut the country for 3 months beforehand, 3 months later it's back again, which is exactly the amount of time it took to spread badly in the first place. Except it isn't as bad this time because we're actually doing shit about it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuine question this, but is our strategy this time so woolly because test and trace is such a fuck up that we simply don't know who is spreading it and how?*

*Beyond the inside/outside common sense approach.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer was fine because we basically shut the country for 3 months, 3 months later it's back again, which is exactly the amount of time it took to spread badly in the first place. Except it isn't as bad this time because we're actually doing shit about it.
    That isn't what happened though. The cases were dropping all summer despite increased freedoms being granted. I was cunting about at Peppa Pig World in July and they still kept dropping. The climb began in the middle of August, when the nights start earlier, and only really kicked off after Tarquin and Jilly fucked off back to school / Uni.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If back in March the choice had been between this lingering in-and-out bollocks and what they were originally doing (which, in case we need reminding, was specifically designed to avoid any such lingering in-and-out bollocks scenario unfolding over the longer term), I suspect all but the biggest fannies would have taken the sensible option and gone with me and the government.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're missing the lag in terms of how long it takes to spread from a low base and how long it takes people to get ill.

@Spikey.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there's been local lockdowns since. The kind of local lockdowns that don't actually restrict any significant movement.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, my argument isn't that we SHOULD lockdown, it's that we will so we might as well get the fuck on with it and get it out of the way.

I still stand by my 'we don't treat any other health condition this way' argument and will do so until peanuts are illegal.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, my argument isn't that we SHOULD lockdown, it's that we will so we might as well get the fuck on with it and get it out of the way.

I still stand by my 'we don't treat any other health condition this way' argument and will do so until peanuts are illegal.
    Fair enough.

I know I bang on about this constantly, but it's the lack of an end game plan that baffles me. Correct me if I'm wrong (Lewis?) but no major 'battle' (as this has been likened to) has ever been won throughout the entirety of human history by 'winging it'.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think many pandemics have a game plan that doesn't involve waiting shit out. It's the thing that gets me about those 6,000 doctors going on about letting the 'fit and healthy' carry on and generate some herd immunity. Herd immunity takes a generation.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two most likely possible endgames from what I understand are either a vaccine or the virus mutates to be less virulent (I've heard a few whispers at work that there's a suspicion this might already be happening).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herd immunity takes a generation.
    Is that true? I don't see why it would be.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    The two most likely possible endgames from what I understand are either a vaccine or the virus mutates to be less virulent (I've heard a few whispers at work that there's a suspicion this might already be happening).
    For my money the latter is the most likely, but that'll take, what, 2-3 years?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know tbh. You need a virologist.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what protection prior infection gives you, whether the virus mutates and how effective a vaccine is.

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post

The public remain massive lockdown enthusiasts (every poll says so in massive numbers) but I wonder if this will change when it starts hitting home during a bleak winter.
    It's because the public are generally lazy bastards (and worriers). I've had someone at work complain that she's not comfortable coming into the office on the train twice a week. But on the other hand, she was happy to fly to Italy on holiday.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald offering free drugs for all.

http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...icans-12098760

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rumour is that stricter measures will be introduced by Boris on Monday and if that doesn't work they'll do a proper lockdown over half-term for two weeks.

I don't think they've given the current restrictions a chance yet. As someone said, there is a delay of 3 to 4 weeks of the cases going up/down, so give a couple more weeks.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

I know I bang on about this constantly, but it's the lack of an end game plan that baffles me. Correct me if I'm wrong (Lewis?) but no major 'battle' (as this has been likened to) has ever been won throughout the entirety of human history by 'winging it'.
    The case against a general lockdown was always how and when do you open back up; or, rather, how many deaths are acceptable week-to-week before smashing everybody else's lives up becomes preferable (at the time I said a thousand a day, which we never even got to, and that was more due to its psychological effect). The problem is that once we - both the government and the shithead public - embraced all of these restrictions, the answer was that we would accept any pisstake imaginable. Except actually we won't, because we all want our jobs and finances protected. We can't go this way, and we can't go that way, so... It's like the war in Afghanistan. They don't even defend it on its own merits anymore. They just claim to have averted half a million deaths, like those people who want to stay in Afghanistan to keep girls in school. How do you beat the Taliban? You don't. You just hope they give up or suddenly stop being maniacs.

Your best bet now is to see everything as the end in itself. This is it now. We are doing this indefinitely. Not because everybody wants to do it, but because nobody wants to do anything else, and all the complaints about tracing apps and mixed messages are utterly trivial. With that in mind, I don't think they are 'winging it' in the conventional sense. They are simply stuck, and, between the civil and health services being fucking shit, you can forgive a bit of trial and error with closing times trying to keep the plates spinning.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the end of this will be apolitical. People will just stop caring. 1000 deaths today? Whatever mate. I'm eating out to help out.

This is only dangerous to the vulnerable. Fucking stairs are dangerous to the vulnerable. The non-vulnerable will not inconvenience themselves forever.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 66 million people in the UK. 70 covid deaths today out of 66 million. There is no sense of perspective.

Yes there is a risk with it, but people forget that they took risks with their lives everyday before covid 19 was amongst us.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mixed messages critique is the absolute worst critique that there is. Do those people want the government to make a decision and then stick to it regardless of (rapidly) changing circumstances?

Just because the average school mum and the bloke at the next desk to me are so fucking thick that they read one line on the BBC news app and then spout it as 'They're saying...' for the next two months doesn't mean that government policy should be done that way.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The government would be a lot happier if they saw the numbers stabilise a bit.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    The mixed messages critique is the absolute worst critique that there is. Do those people want the government to make a decision and then stick to it regardless of (rapidly) changing circumstances?

Just because the average school mum and the bloke at the next desk to me are so fucking thick that they read one line on the BBC news app and then spout it as 'They're saying...' for the next two months doesn't mean that government policy should be done that way.
    Yep. It's so fucking tedious.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premier Mark McGowan is a small time wanker.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...-june/12743674

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Spanish flu had two major mutations in the first twelve months, I think, and the later waves were both more deadly and more contagious. I'm not sure why a virus would mutate to make itself less dangerous, but I really don't have a handle on how these things work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    I'm not sure why a virus would mutate to make itself less dangerous, but I really don't have a handle on how these things work.
    Because it's host is more likely to spread it if they stay alive.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol RL telling us viruses are capable of thought. Scenes.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's either a shit joke or you're the stupidest man alive.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Lol RL telling us viruses are capable of thought. Scenes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    That's either a shit joke or you're the stupidest man alive.
    I'm going to need some IceBet odds on the latter.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a virus were capable of conscious thought (or had a Night King-style general running the show) it would avoid old duffers like the plague, and go for the frolicking children, sex-having teenagers etc etc.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sort of is at the moment.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least we now know that Magic's family made a conscious decision to evolve weakened bladders through the power of thought.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early adopters of (very specific) social distancing too.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. It's why seasonal avian flu doesn't tend to stick around (Although H2N2 still hovers as a 'hey, if you're under 50, this fucks you' flu). This virus seems really good at spreading and jumping from species to species. It's not going to burn through a population and run out of hosts or time.

EDIT: Lol, 2000 Geordie students and counting. I've also discovered those Durham students are paying more for their shared accommodation than I am for my place. No wonder they move out of the city.
    Last edited by Shindig; 08-10-2020 at 05:20 PM.