User Tag List

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running and General Exercise Thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't weigh so no idea, but 1.5kg seems a lot, especially if you're not that heavy to begin with.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather looks mint tomorrow. I'm off work so I'll get a proper walk in.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of you fellow walkers weigh yourself before and after a 10 miler and let me know. It was 1.2kg today as I was weighing lower than usual today but as Jimmy says, that's 67.66% of my bodyweight. Only thing I can think of is you're all hydrating during the walk.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got no scales so can't help you out. Just went to Durham and back. As cool as the farmland stuff is in the other direction, that walk's got more going on. It lets me see where Durham is at with lockdown as well. Looks no different to when I was at work. Quiet with maybe a couple more families out with the bairns. Out on the roads, it's still got a Bank Holiday feel. A lot of bikers. Decent six miles or so today and I've discovered those little paths by the river always feed you right back into town.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10k run in the heat today was brutal. Plenty of thongs about in the park though so there is that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of you runners do any recovery-type, slow runs? I’ve been reading about them and apparently they’ll help you become faster in the long term. And sure enough I did a slow 60 minute 10k last week and then on Saturday morning I wiped 2:35 off my 10k record by doing one in 43:35.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't do them intentionally but when I run with the wife I'm closer to 6m+/km rather than 4:30/40. I just find it's based on how leggy I feel on the speed I can produce.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To channel Taz, there’s definitely a psychological aspect of purposefully running slow(er) and not competing against yourself. It’s also an easy way to get miles in your legs.

Here’s the arrival I read: https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...-recovery-run/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 miles walked this morning, found it an absolute breeze. The great thing about walking is although it burns calories (1,700 according to the app I use), it really isn't an aerobic challenge at all, at least not unless you start going up mountains and things.

The physical challenge is more about wear and tear on the feet and other bits.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk on grass.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesnt really matter what you're walking on 15 miles on your feet will always take a toll.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A toll yes, but less of a toll.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s good going Jim.

I did about 16,000 steps this morning, took about 2 hours and my feet were struggling by the end.

Found a pair of Nike tanjuns id bought years ago and never worn and have been wearing them out walking during lockdown.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this all too well at the minute. Got a blood blister on one of my toes from the other day.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That CJ article above is very good. Also big supporter of Giggles' post, pavement is not the one, I took this theory up from my first foray with parkruns and now it falls in line with social distancing etiquette too. Ideally it'd all be barefoot too but that's advanced level shit we ain't ready for.

My foot is healing, should be ready for chucking a few sprints and skips into my walks again and hopefully be able to have a kickabout in Monday's sunshine. Allahuakbar.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJay View Post
    To channel Taz, there’s definitely a psychological aspect of purposefully running slow(er) and not competing against yourself. It’s also an easy way to get miles in your legs.

Here’s the arrival I read: https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...-recovery-run/
    Interesting read. Did an 8k today with the wife today at a "sexy pace" today and it's interesting to know it actually has benefits.

Going to start this on Strava from Monday to improve my 10k speed which includes a few tempo runs then one fartlek run. I would like to build up my 10k to a point where I can do it sub 40.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ambled genially through a 6.5 km walk along the coast at just under 1 hour 40 mins. This thread has been an eye opener as to how shit my fitness is.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was me fearing the weather turning and preventing me from having my walks. Today led to the discovery it may actually be better. I think it was around 12 degrees today, low winds and a nice light rain and it was actually ideal as it gets rid of the crowds. Just need to weatherproof and get my layers right but bring on the COVID winter.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's far better when cool.

I did 16 miles on Saturday and properly ripped my foot up. The walking shoes are out for this week and trainers are back in.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably goes without saying but running is much better when coil.

10k in 42mins last night after work.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, massively different challenge doing it in 24 degrees. Today is week 2 of the under 40minute 10k and it's 5-6 2 minute runs at race speed with 1 minute rest in between.

Workout
    Include 5-6 x 2 minutes at 5K-10K effort, 1 minute recovery jog between each repetition; include a warm-up and cool-down

Daily Goal
    Another pace change workout to build mental toughness.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 25k in the morning on Saturday, but it was way too hot. Finished in 2:12:24. The last 5k was miserable, even though it was all downhill, as I was just sapped of energy. I was longing for a big tall hedgerow for some shade but there was literally nothing. 😭 Think I’ll stick to the 21k / 13 mile distance from now on.

@Kikó - are you actively trying to go under 40 minutes each week or is there a date you’ve set for when you want to have achieved it?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an 8 week plan so by the end of the 8 weeks I'm supposed to be ready to fire and smash the world record.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to 18 miles walking today. My lord, the difference between 15 and 18 is whole worlds of pain.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What pace you doing this at? I've kept it constant at 10 miles at 4mph for last few weeks. Haven't had the time to commit to a longer attempt yet.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another broken treadmill at home, so it's time to get out on the road this weekend.

Absolutely shitting it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What pace you doing this at? I've kept it constant at 10 miles at 4mph for last few weeks. Haven't had the time to commit to a longer attempt yet.
    I did this at 11:10 per km which has been fairly constant across different distances. I think that's shy of 4mph, but then I'm fatter than you.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quick enough, I just wnated to see if you're walking at pace or if you were mooching about like a lost soul like some times I've heard from my mates.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7.58km in 46:06, with an elevation gain of 47m (not that I know what that means). Ran the whole way, so quite pleased with that for a first effort.

In nice weather at least, running outside is much better than on a treadmill.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's quick enough, I just wnated to see if you're walking at pace or if you were mooching about like a lost soul like some times I've heard from my mates.
    Christ, if you just ambled it then these distances would write the whole day off. I couldn't walk much slower than I do and am usually overtaking all and sundry, which in the social distancing era is a bit of a pain.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm walking normally, 5 is the best part of two hours. At 18 miles I'd be spending the night wherever I wound up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long run tomorrow for 50m-1h15m. Really struggled on the route planning at the moment to keep it fresh.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25km walk yesterday, was my first time breaking the 4hr 30 barrier on that course (a rather pleasant one that involves lots of the Thames and Richmond Park).

Am broken today though and unsure if this is improving my fitness (as is the intention) or just destroying my body.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 mile walk yesterday and another 5 today. I've decided if I'm going to walk for walking's sake, heading away from Durham is the better idea. Skips out all the hilly shit and yesterday I saw a pony and some sheep. And the motorists really fucking hammer it through that stretch.
    Last edited by Shindig; 25-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My running has gone off a cliff last week or so but with it being cooler tomorrow, I'll give it another go.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With no football midweek and being back to work full time, my running/exercise has suffered a bit. I'm still managing around 20k on the weekends but not much else in between.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    25km walk yesterday, was my first time breaking the 4hr 30 barrier on that course (a rather pleasant one that involves lots of the Thames and Richmond Park).

Am broken today though and unsure if this is improving my fitness (as is the intention) or just destroying my body.
    Probably a reminder from your body as to why you're doing it in the first place.

To get/keep fit, it's also important not to overdo it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First attempt at 2 hours went decent. 14.62 miles in 1:59:54 (Strava moving time 2:00:03).

Only done half marathon distance three times prior to this so a happy milestone. Not sure how much further I'll try to go.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15k for me yesterday and another 11k this morning has kept me ticking over for the week.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was getting quite into doing about 15k a week but my hip is giving me loads of bother. It's just from the impact of running on concrete I think. Anyone dealt with this before?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be your running style definitely. Do you stretch/yoga/foam roll?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clocked my third best 5K time on Thursday - 26:45. Followed up with a pretty disastrous run last night.

Was aiming for 10K but it was never happening, made it to 8.62 and canned it as the rain came on. Very slow, 56m.

First thing or lunchtime for me seems to get the best results.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots and lots of stretching, warming up and cooling down, James. Before heading out, I go through my usual football stretch routine, but since reading a book called 'Run Less, Run Faster' I've added a few great stretches for my hamstrings, calves and quads. I've not had hip problems really, but running style and trainers should also be looked at.

I always run 1.6km (1 mile) at a pretty slow pace at the start, before doing a few 100m spurts to get my pace up a bit. After my run I cool down with a slow jog/walk for about ten minutes, and stretch off outside my house.

Another 15k this morning through Leeds city centre. There was a buzz about the place, even at 9am.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyable (bar the wind) ride out to Emmerdale and Harewood House this morning.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy in the blue is their dad? Their Milkman must be built like a brick shithouse.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various injuries that have plagued me in recent months seem to have died down, so I'm back out running again. Did 5k Wednesday and Saturday and going out again tomorrow with a mate. Currently managing c.32mins on those and would like to work on increasing my pace a little, but I do also want to up my distance. I'm guessing incremental improvements are the way to go, so perhaps tomorrow will look to see if I can make it to 6k.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After about 4.5 months away I’ve been using a bar bell again in my parents garage. Just (even) light(er than usual) weights but my body feels like it’s been hit by a bus.

I can’t wait for the gym to reopen in 2021 but the first month is going to be horrid. Trying to shift a belly and get back into a routine.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been noticing a fair few of my mates who were units throughgymming have embraced a leaner more balanced physique due to lockdown and not being able to lift lorry loads. They look better, perform significantly better (on the powerleague, I don't know the bedroom antics) and are no doubt much healthier. Be interesting to see if they manage to learn their lesson or fall back into bad habits.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-organised the shed so I can actually move in there now, did some dumbbell sets in there last night. Aiming for 3 times a week going forward.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out four months of home working has done something bad to my posture. Started to feel pins and needles in my fingertips at the start of week. I've been exercising again to get the circulation going and stretching my back out to sort my spine and neck out.

It seems to have worked and stopped a problem before it really, really got going.