User Tag List

Page 68 of 581 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168568 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,400 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. We simply can't do that in the West, we just don't work that way.

And if we don't want it and/or can't do it, then we need to accept that we're going to lose a lot of people.

If we're entering an age of global pandemics due to over population, shitty practices and ludicrously good transport links then it makes you question whether the West have got it right after all. Not saying I'd want to be in China, but somewhere like Japan or South Korea looks immediately more attractive than they once did. Sure they've had to do some wank things too though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    Spanish numbers:
    -24926 infected (+4946)
    -1326 dead (+324)
    -2125 recovered (+540)
    Next update:

-28572 infected (+3646, less than yesterday)
    -1720 dead (+394, more than yesterday)
    -2575 recovered (+450)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    344 on the board for Spain today. Exactly the same trajectory as Italy.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people on my Facebook feed are still talking about rescheduling their holiday to Europe to June.

It's absolutely baffling.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're rescheduling our Portugal trip for next March but even that I can't really see happening. Internally we should be alright by then. Probably.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    And people on my Facebook feed are still talking about rescheduling their holiday to Europe to June.

It's absolutely baffling.
    Nobody's going on holiday this year, nor should they be allowed to.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Croatia is being moved to May/June next year. Will have to hope we can do Centre Parcs in November still. I don't think we could get European holidays happening this year even if we did go full China on the situation (Which I would take if it saved my holiday tbh).

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Nobody's going on holiday this year, nor should they be allowed to.
    If you asked me when I thought usual international passenger air travel would resume, I honestly couldn't even guess. It will be that long.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're expecting everyone to be a bit too reasonable. They will rush the flights back into action. The Med needs tourism and every carrier will end up going bust / need bailing out if it goes on all year. When Europe as a whole sees infection rates fall they'll open up shop again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m just waiting for my holidays to be cancelled so I can have the money back. Not a chance we’ll be going. I’m with Spikey though. My holidays are what keep me going. I’d accept whatever draconian measures necessary to make them happen.

Just been sat in the garden for a bit and it’s quite nice. As long as people are sensible, things could be worse.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think Spikey is right. Half these places literally cannot survive without tourism. Even if it means everyone gets temperature checked at the airport for the foreseeable, they won't shut these things down.

Similarly, although I said otherwise last night, international sport and things like that will have to resume.

What you might not see is so many city breaks, international conferences etc etc. Or you'll need a vaccine certificate (once that's happening) to travel.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 22-03-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to the caravanning wank in the highlands yesterday, people are literally rushing to the hills.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51994504

It's nice that we have the internet to keep some form of record of who all the morons are at this time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    344 on the board for Spain today. Exactly the same trajectory as Italy.
    Fewer cases is good though. Not sure when they locked down compared to Italy. It feels like ages but time is working differently at the minute. Even if cases continue to fall it’s a long bleak lag before deaths follow.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Yeah, I think Spikey is right. Half these places literally cannot survive without tourism. Even if it means everyone gets temperature checked at the airport for the foreseeable, they won't shut these things down.

What you might not see is so many city breaks, international conferences etc etc.
    A price well worth paying. We were looking back at holiday photos this morning. Incredible to think that even 4 months ago this just didn’t exist.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll concede defeat on that one then gents, perhaps didn't think it through properly.

As for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I’m just waiting for my holidays to be cancelled so I can have the money back. Not a chance we’ll be going. I’m with Spikey though. My holidays are what keep me going. I’d accept whatever draconian measures necessary to make them happen.

Just been sat in the garden for a bit and it’s quite nice. As long as people are sensible, things could be worse.
    My garden, as shit as it is at the moment (knackered decking inherited, no furniture) is a wonderful place. This will definitely make us appreciate things we all took for granted so much more. Even if that does only last very temporarily.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post

Similarly, although I said otherwise last night, international sport and things like that will have to resume.

What you might not see is so many city breaks, international conferences etc etc. Or you'll need a vaccine certificate (once that's happening) to travel.
    I can see alot of places doing 'Resort Lockdowns'. You can come, but you stay in the hotel bar your flights and transfers.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Fewer cases is good though. Not sure when they locked down compared to Italy. It feels like ages but time is working differently at the minute. Even if cases continue to fall it’s a long bleak lag before deaths follow.
    Can anything be read into case numbers at the moment? Outside of countries that have dealt with and are continuing to deal with this properly?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, Indonesia (God bless them) have a near 10% death rate going by the case numbers.

Surely they're meaningless?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anything be read into case numbers at the moment? Outside of countries that have dealt with and are continuing to deal with this properly?
    Unless you hit a ceiling on testing capacity it’s useful as a measure of growth. Although looks like the Spain news isn’t good at all, having double checked. They update more than once a day.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iran's Supreme Leader has rejected America's offer of aid to help the country with its battle against coronavirus.

In a televised speech, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the US was Iran's "most evil enemy" and hinted at a conspiracy theory, also voiced by some Chinese officials, that America was responsible for the pandemic.

“I do not know how real this accusation is but when it exists, who in their right mind would trust you to bring them medication?" Mr Khamenei said. "Possibly your medicine is a way to spread the virus more.”

Without offering any evidence, he also alleged that the virus “is specifically built for Iran using the genetic data of Iranians which they have obtained through different means”.
    I'm just gonna leave that there...

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    North Korea did the same.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone still doing any form of confrontational politics at this point (cf. most of Twitter) is getting it so, so wrong.

Challenges to the way forward are healthy and necessary, but on Friday I just saw reams and reams of Corbynistas calling the economic measures insincere because of Rishi Sunak's 'voting record', whatever that means by now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last sentence is a strange way of admitting things are really shit in Iran.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those American dogs and their 'different means'.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of holiday I have a 6.5k trip to South Africa in October, I've paid half and plan on finish the payments. I'm sure it wont happen but I assume I'll need to have paid in fill for the ATOL protection to kick in?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who'd you book with?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hays.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meant to be going to Torquay for a weekend end of May and IoW in July (yeah alright we have crap holidays). Not sure I can justify either now though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I postponed my work leave from next Fall to 2021, as I am not sure that this shit will be over by August.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Atol website seems to suggest you're covered for flights paid in instalments. @Andy. I'm starting to think the only way I'm having a holiday in September/October is if I've had an antigen test to say I've had it. America will simply be too fucked without one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, went to Walmart this morning and the toilet roll aisle is still completely empty. It better be restocked soon, because I probably only have about a month's worth left.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Meant to be going to Torquay for a weekend end of May and IoW in July (yeah alright we have crap holidays). Not sure I can justify either now though.
    Nothing wrong with a UK holiday.

As I said yesterday we have Cornwall booked in May and going, albeit behaving differently to normal, is attractive. But we can’t justify increasing pressure on a county which probably won’t be too badly hit due to low population density and which has fuck all facilities to handle a surge created by people escaping that way.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People shouldn't be going on holiday within the UK. Sure some people might behave responsibly but there are too many idiots and that will ultimately be why we can't have nice things.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went up to our 99th case today. Echoing what the guy in China said, Vietnam continues to treat this seriously. Temp testing at all public places and apartment blocks. Masks mandatory in all public places.
    All arrivals in 14 day quarantine. Anybody who tests positive - the government then release their previous week's history (bars, restaurants etc) and asks people who can have been on contact to go get tested or self isolate.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just gonna leave that there...
    As a counterpoint to this, I read that the US was tightening sanctions on Iran which in the middle of this is pretty fucking awful.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the mask wearing, I simply don't believe they don't work at all.

Which is sort of born out by the shit that gets tacked on the end of the justifications for them not working. Like "people put their hands under them". Well, ok, but that's not the mask's fault.

If countries that are tackling this properly are mandating the wearing of them then I'm inclined to go with them.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    As a counterpoint to this, I read that the US was tightening sanctions on Iran which in the middle of this is pretty fucking awful.

I'll see if I can find a link.
    It would be a great time for WWIII to start... Surely everyone has enough to worry about domestically at the moment. Given how hard it's going to hit them, the US really should be doing their best to not piss unstable nations off for a while.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People shouldn't be going on holiday within the UK. Sure some people might behave responsibly but there are too many idiots and that will ultimately be why we can't have nice things.
    ‘Nothing wrong with a UK holiday’ was a general point. We ought to be staying as close to our homes as possible through this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t really blame people with caravans attempting to fuck off out of somewhere they feel unsafe. But I suppose it’s then up to local councils to shut down caravan parks and start ticketing the fuck out of them to clear them away if it protects the healthcare system.

I went for a wander to a forest today with the same friend I played golf with yesterday. Car park was mobbed but the forest is so open. Basically pass by another person and given them a good berth.

Very fortunate to live so close to empty countryside. If they do a lockdown it should really only be the high risk places/cities. If they locked down the whole of Scotland you’d have folk in country towns flaunting it for sure. And good luck policing that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In line with the numbers from that smaller Italian village that 50% are completely asymptomatic, probably also correlated to the younger you are the less likely you are to show symptoms.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Iran doesn’t need America’s ‘help’. It needs America’s boot off of its throat.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol at Amigo being in New York when he could be coasting it out with the rest of the inbreds.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    lol at Amigo being in New York when he could be coasting it out with the rest of the inbreds.
    Does he live there these days?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's Luca's cleaner.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry that this info is coming to you late, I'm on day 9 of lockdown and the one thing I wish I'd done? Haircut.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    He's Luca's cleaner.
    Is that what fluffer means?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what Luca fills his weekends with.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So one of the hospitals around me had a guy come in from France for a motorcycle accident on the 10th.

He apparently got sick at some point in between that and Friday as he got tested and was deemed a positive.

So for however many days before he actually got sick he had nurses doctors technicians etc all treating him as just a motorcycle accident

Basically what I’m saying is people can make this political but when you hear stories like that we have no chance bro

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    763 in Florida at the moment and that’s only going to skyrocket cause we are just now getting tests / tests back