User Tag List

Page 163 of 206 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,150 of 10294

Thread: The little things in life that fuck you off

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as they'd have 2 shots on the black it'd be pretty much a default loss anyway, although there is always scope to fuck things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Is that not the actual rule?
    Yes.

I sort of understand what James is getting at, but I guess the rule derives mainly from the game ending nature of the foul and the fact that pub tables don't give you the ball back. Interestingly, if you manage to get the black to leave the table it gets put back on its spot. Obviously a fairly unusual occurrence.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool tables definitely aren't a thing in 2021.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's definitely a dying thing.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Is that not the actual rule?
    Not necessarily. Pool as a game hasn't helped itself by having a million different rules floating about. The version I like to play doesn't have two shots carrying, for example.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think SvN meant me missed the black and potted the white rather than potting them both.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did indeed.

And the latter has indeed always been a loss.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Not necessarily. Pool as a game hasn't helped itself by having a million different rules floating about. The version I like to play doesn't have two shots carrying, for example.
    There are basically two [UK] rule sets I believe. Old rules (with 2 shots carrying etc) and new rules, where they don't, you always have to pot or a ball has to touch a cushion, deliberate fouls are allowed, but you get ball in hand etc

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool is a stupid and badly-designed game, hence the many stupid rule variations which try to account for how bad a game it is even though the basics (pot balls with a cue) are fun.

There needs to be six-red snooker everywhere on little tables instead.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 ball is the king of all these games.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two shots should carry. It's not a proper punishment for fouling otherwise.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ball in hand (behind the line) and one free shot works for me. Two shots carry is too much of a punishment for my mind. When I was good years ago, one foul from whoever I was playing was enough to clear up more often than not.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Pool is a stupid and badly-designed game, hence the many stupid rule variations which try to account for how bad a game it is even though the basics (pot balls with a cue) are fun.

There needs to be six-red snooker everywhere on little tables instead.
    Please explain re pool.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you really need an explanation? It’s right up there with the most jimmy opinions of all time.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the having to touch a cushion is a good rule, along with ball in hand rather than shots carrying with fouls.

I think Jimmy has a SLIGHT point in that I think the mechanics of the game do creak a bit when it's actually really good people playing, mostly because it is really easy relative to other games, and that makes balancing quite difficult I think. It's not a problem at my level though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Please explain re pool.
    Having one ball at the end being far more valuable than all the play that happens before that is nonsense, when the two players are playing independent sets of balls. 9 ball is a much better game as each ball in turn has a higher value than the last, and both players are playing the same ball which allows far more options in terms of potting/safety etc and playing your opponent as well as the balls.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Having one ball at the end being far more valuable than all the play that happens before that is nonsense.
    On that note, it does make me laugh when playing casually on a night out hearing things like "you're doing well, you've potted 5 more of yours than he has of his".

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out I don't know the rules to pool cos I've no idea what some of these posts are saying.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the lads playing pool and having a laugh at the TTH Meet, Floyd reading the menu and muttering 'I thought... Yeah, I thought it was a Greene King' to himself.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_balis View Post
    I think the having to touch a cushion is a good rule, along with ball in hand rather than shots carrying with fouls.

I think Jimmy has a SLIGHT point in that I think the mechanics of the game do creak a bit when it's actually really good people playing, mostly because it is really easy relative to other games, and that makes balancing quite difficult I think. It's not a problem at my level though.
    I never play the cushion rule tbh. Prefer not to play two shot carry or not playing backwards on a foul, definitely nothing on nominating where you're potting the black.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Killer better on a pool table or a snooker table?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood why the not playing backwards after a foul rule ever existed. The rationale is unfathomable to me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    For the vast majority of people, a pool table, 100%.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    All the lads playing pool and having a laugh at the TTH Meet, Floyd reading the menu and muttering 'I thought... Yeah, I thought it was a Greene King' to himself.
    What actually happens is I play, use a snooker bridge (because why the fuck do people thread the cue through some weird finger loop), clean up and everyone has a miserable time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Surely it's borderline impossible on a full size snooker table? Probably more just though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood why the not playing backwards after a foul rule ever existed. The rationale is unfathomable to me.
    It doesn't exist, which is probably why it is unfathomable.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In pool, what ruling do you guys have when the black is potted off the break? Re-rack?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    In pool, what ruling do you guys have when the black is potted off the break? Re-rack?
    Yep.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bridges should be illegal. If you can't make a shot you shouldn't be playing or even in a pub with a pool table to begin with.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean rests?

Always lol a bit when one comes out on a pool table. Apparently it is legit but I don't know.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win if it’s only the black.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.
    I played against a randomer in the pub a bit ago and he tried to claim victory after potting the black off the break. I consider myself to know almost any permutation of the rules of pool (I've heard of most of them stated in this thread) but this was a new one on me.

The best way to approach pool is to agree on the basic rules beforehand.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to approach pool is to agree on the basic rules beforehand.
    Yep, that's what I always do. And I've come across that approach to potting the black off the break, it can die in a fire.

I didn't realise there were so many pool players here. We should organise a little competition.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spots vs stripes. 8 ball last. First one to pot it wins (as long as the white doesn't go in too).

Anything else can fuck off.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having to always hit a cushion after a ball is a load of bollocks of a rule too. I’d rather just keep my 2 quid if I’m somewhere they’re at that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's what I always do. And I've come across that approach to potting the black off the break, it can die in a fire.

I didn't realise there were so many pool players here. We should organise a little competition.
    TTH 25th Anniversary Trophy?

I've never come across anyone claiming the black off the break to be a win, but then I play with players who are better than me for the most part. My fondest lol break memory was doing a terrible foul break where they barely split and I sank the white, their guy uses the first of his two to effectively re-break and pots the black. And then the desperate search for the "it was a re-rack" began from their team. No sir-ee.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Having to always hit a cushion after a ball is a load of bollocks of a rule too. I’d rather just keep my 2 quid if I’m somewhere they’re at that.
    You can pot as well, but yeah, I would say new rules are good, but the people that tend to play them are either way too serious or way too good (or both) for it to be fun to play those rules sadly. No laying up though is brilliant. God I g=hate the tippy-tappy shite.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of those rules that shouldn't be needed, but it stops people playing like Mark Selby on a pool table (Mark Selby the snooker player I should add, not pool player as I understand he was quite attacking then), so I'm all for it.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    You can pot as well, but yeah, I would say new rules are good, but the people that tend to play them are either way too serious or way too good (or both) for it to be fun to play those rules sadly. No laying up though is brilliant. God I g=hate the tippy-tappy shite.
    I don’t mind having to hit a cushion but it’s when it has to be after contacting then it’s shit. If you do something like going off two cushions to land on a ball and it’s a foul the premises should be burnt to the ground.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t mind having to hit a cushion but it’s when it has to be after contacting then it’s shit. If you do something like going off two cushions to land on a ball and it’s a foul the premises should be burnt to the ground.
    It doesn't apply if you're snookered.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should never apply. Thankfully it’s a rarity here, for some reason you find it mostly in oddball places that use solids and stripes instead of reds and yellows.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing the white off the cushion satisfies the 'a ball needs to hit a cushion rule' as far as I know. It's just there to stop the lay-up behind a ball shit which infests low tier competitive play.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should never apply. Thankfully it’s a rarity here, for some reason you find it mostly in oddball places that use solids and stripes instead of reds and yellows.
    It only came in because arse holes were just tucking up behind their own balls over and over again, to draw a foul or advantage.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea that was a rule, but I'm glad it is. There's nothing worse than some bellend that thinks they're clever just snookering non-stop.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing the white off the cushion satisfies the 'a ball needs to hit a cushion rule' as far as I know. It's just there to stop the lay-up behind a ball shit which infests low tier competitive play.
    I could be wrong as I stopped playing in the league here before it came in, but I think it's the object ball that has to hit a cushion or go in, unless you're snookered.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong as I stopped playing in the league here before it came in, but I think it's the object ball that has to hit a cushion or go in, unless you're snookered.
    I don't play new rules so I don't really know, this extract from the new rules where I play suggests a little from column A and a little from column B.

G. Legal Shot

On all shots, the player must:-
    Cause the Cue Ball's initial contact with a ball to be with a ball "On",
    AND THEN
    Pot a ball "On" OR Cause the Cue Ball or any Object Ball to contact a cushion.
    Failure to play a Legal Shot is a Standard Foul.
    Exceptions:
    On the Break, the conditions of a Legal Shot do not apply. (see (F) The Break)
    When playing out of a Total Snooker a player is only obliged to meet the conditions of (1)(a) above. (see (Q) Total Snookers).

So 3 cushion lay-up escapes as OK, but dinking a snooker off the cushion into a ball isn't, which seems a decent set-up.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that all makes sense.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this pool talk is just reminding me I can't fit one of those pool dining tables jobbies in my new house.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool table at home is best kept as a remote an unattainable dream, imo.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely it's borderline impossible on a full size snooker table? Probably more just though.
    I have done it a few times, working on a pot red/pot colour system where all players are handed a colour out of a hat (usually corresponding to a playing card value, to make it more complicated when pissed) to be kept secret. If you pot your own colour when all reds are cleared you win, if your colour has gone you need to help clear the table to reset it for another chance.

The best pool tactic, for reds v yellows, is surely to just cover pockets with your own balls without actually potting them, leaving yourself with easy finishes and making life hard for your opponent. That's what I was told when I was stuck in the pub as a child when my ma couldn't get a babysitter anyway.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I never play the cushion rule tbh. Prefer not to play two shot carry or not playing backwards on a foul, definitely nothing on nominating where you're potting the black.
    This is the Law of the land down here.