User Tag List

Page 188 of 340 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 9,351 to 9,400 of 16995

Thread: News of the day

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Biden looks a bit daft with his quote about how it won't all just collapse, but that will have been the military/security agencies lying to him like they have been all the others, so anyone blaming him is being a bit unfair. The best reactions are all the British idiots thinking we can lead some sort of effort to fix it. It's one thing being wrong about something, but anyone that deluded should be disqualified from having a say.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    The Americans have all those things and are still very careful only to go up against people with half timbered rifles and no shoes, and even then their results are pretty patchy.
    Granted, but those Planes and Missiles are what kept the Taliban quiet for so long.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might not die doing it whereas they're pretty sure the Taliban will cut their heads off and rape their families.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Granted, but those Planes and Missiles are what kept the Taliban quiet for so long.
    I would say it was the American commitment behind them, whatever weapons they left behind (whoever they left them with) were just presents for the Taliban.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not going to beat the Taliban if you let them sit about in Pakistan while they wait for you to fuck off.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Joe Biden looks a bit daft with his quote about how it won't all just collapse, but that will have been the military/security agencies lying to him like they have been all the others, so anyone blaming him is being a bit unfair. The best reactions are all the British idiots thinking we can lead some sort of effort to fix it. It's one thing being wrong about something, but anyone that deluded should be disqualified from having a say.
    Has anyone who works in new media or comedy writing said they are 'angry' about it yet? That should solve things if nothing else has.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Old Taliban was them openly hosting most wanted terrorists, which was largely down to Mullah Omar being a top tier autist who refused to turn them away (or hand them over) because Islam, so if they can manage not to do that then they're just another shithouse country to ignore and our focus can turn back to supporting the very same people oppressing Women and Girls in Syria.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    You're not going to beat the Taliban if you let them sit about in Pakistan while they wait for you to fuck off.
    And they took the entire place in a fortnight with little more than technicals and AKs, a pile of aircraft or missiles that they don't have the infrastructure to properly deploy are unlikely to have slowed them down very much.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    And they took the entire place in a fortnight with little more than technicals and AKs, a pile of aircraft or missiles that they don't have the infrastructure to properly deploy are unlikely to have slowed them down very much.
    That's kind of in there with giving them the gear in the first place and I wasn't arguing that it was a workable solution. I was saying it's the only possible solution, but the outcome would have likely been worse than the current one. (See: Saddam Hussein)

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole reaction in (social) media to this is so confusing (well, not really). On a fundamental level, the populace seems to prefer Taliban rule to anything else, so of course the "Afghan army" was gonna roll over in 5 seconds flat.

I saw some Pew survey or something that listed 99% of the local muslim population being in favor of Sharia (40% in Russia, 20% in Bosnia) which just makes you wonder what the fucking point of it all was other than boosting Lockheed profits for a couple of decades.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all just dumb liberal guilt.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    The whole reaction in (social) media to this is so confusing (well, not really). On a fundamental level, the populace seems to prefer Taliban rule to anything else, so of course the "Afghan army" was gonna roll over in 5 seconds flat.

I saw some Pew survey or something that listed 99% of the local muslim population being in favor of Sharia (40% in Russia, 20% in Bosnia) which just makes you wonder what the fucking point of it all was other than boosting Lockheed profits for a couple of decades.
    I think there's a good argument that we might have actually been able to do something in Afghanistan if we hadn't fucked off to Iraq. Dick Cheney just happened to be the CEO of Haliburton and let's take a look at how their stock price was affected by the decision, pushed for by Dick Cheney. to go into Iraq.

Weird.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take away any Islamic wording and ask our population if they'd be in support of chopping the hands off thieves etc. and I reckon we'd pull similar numbers.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take away any Islamic wording and ask our population if they'd be in support of chopping the hands off thieves etc. and I reckon we'd pull similar numbers.
    I've said it before but if a party suggested their main policy was "Reinstating the death penalty, but only for pedophiles", they'd win in a landslide.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Taliban became popular for hanging nonces, but I would like to see it expanded to other groups before I voted for it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I've said it before but if a party suggested their main policy was "Reinstating the death penalty, but only for pedophiles", they'd win in a landslide.
    I don't doubt you're right for a second either.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of in there with giving them the gear in the first place and I wasn't arguing that it was a workable solution. I was saying it's the only possible solution, but the outcome would have likely been worse than the current one. (See: Saddam Hussein)
    Quite, even if you decide to leave them the slice of the USAF they would need to run everything you still just armed a potentially hostile Islamic nation and made them a sizeable power in the region with no real assurances that they're going to be your friends or run their country in the way you want them to. The alternative is staying there forever, like Korea, without any of the strategic upsides.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't doubt you're right for a second either.
    Relatedly I saw this and I'm like 'looks like the same platform as 49% of the country voted for last time round'

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can definitely turn this into a viable democratic nation by sending troops there for 20 years and holding some classes on how to treat women.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relatedly I saw this and I'm like 'looks like the same platform as 49% of the country voted for last time round'

They're basically becoming the Southern States of America.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Rejection of science'.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These people can't poll a western election between two parties correctly and I'm supposed to believe their findings when it comes to Afghanistan public sentiment? How the fuck did they even survey them?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These people can't poll a western election between two parties correctly and I'm supposed to believe their findings when it comes to Afghanistan public sentiment? How the fuck did they even survey them?
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...und-the-world/

https://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/...-about-sharia/

"Interviews".

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    38 thousand interviews representing the views of 2 billion people lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sampling a population, how does it work?

Edit: Hey, they even had specifics per country.

Afghanistan
    Sample design: Stratified area probability sample of all 34 Afghan provinces (excluding nomadic populations) proportional to population size and urban/rural population.
    Mode: Face-to-face adults 18+
    Languages: Baloch, Dari, Hazara, Pashto, Uzbek
    Fieldwork dates: Nov. 27–Dec. 17, 2011
    Representative: Nationally representative of 94% of the adult population.
    Design effect: 3.4

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this stuff can ever be truly representative because the real wingnuts are going to stop for a chat with a cunt with a clipboard. If you want to get their opinions you'd have to do it via the Muslim version of Fox News or something.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall point I was making is that the country is an irredeemable shithole (to borrow from Donny's vocab) with zero overall interest in anything Western. It's not like a silent majority is suddenly going to be oppressed by the Taliban. A few high-profile women will be dragged through the streets, a few interpreters who got left behind will be stoned to death, and it'll return to the general state it's been in for the decades before the invasion.
    Last edited by Bernanke; 16-08-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sampling a population, how does it work?

Edit: Hey, they even had specifics per country.

Afghanistan
    Sample design: Stratified area probability sample of all 34 Afghan provinces (excluding nomadic populations) proportional to population size and urban/rural population.
    Mode: Face-to-face adults 18+
    Languages: Baloch, Dari, Hazara, Pashto, Uzbek
    Fieldwork dates: Nov. 27–Dec. 17, 2011
    Representative: Nationally representative of 94% of the adult population.
    Design effect: 3.4
    Yes and that's absolute nonsense. 1500 people are representative of 94% of the population of Afghanistan (38 million people) give or take 5%?

It's nonsense and lies and a scam.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and that's absolute nonsense. 1500 people are representative of 94% of the population of Afghanistan (38 million people) give or take 5%?

It's nonsense and lies and a scam.
    So your argument is that statistics as a whole is bullshit?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. From an economic standpoint it's used to produce something that supports the conclusion of whoevers paying you to do it.

From a political standpoint they've proved themselves absolutely useless over and over and over.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 82% of them are.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on an interview with me and there being about 30 active posters (a far higher ratio than 1500:38000000) I can presume with a 5% margin of error that 100% of the board thinks the same as I do on every subject ever.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that's how maths works.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistics? No. Surveys? Definitely.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing that sampling a population is suddenly useless. You should write a paper on it before big Survey crushes you.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I'm not sure that's how maths works.
    Similar to the stat on Afghanistan, I’m talking to my editor now and he said ‘Change the number to 99% so they don’t think we’re just making it up.’

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing that sampling a population is suddenly useless. You should write a paper on it before big Survey crushes you.
    I am not afraid of them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistics as a whole aren't bullshit but as with Pepe's email the other day, they very easily can be. Especially with small samples, which this has.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in fucking Afghanistan and someone comes around asking you questions about Sharia, I am sure most people will just answer whatever they think is less likely to get them killed.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is the number one issue with surveys: people answer based on what they think is the correct answer, not on what they actually "believe" (believe goes in quotations since very few people hold actual beliefs on anything). If you want to really know what people value, watch their actions. They tell you a lot more than what they respond when asked.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Oh, I loved her first album." <sound of a gun being loaded>

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of thoughts;
    1) Looking at the members of ‘The British Polling Council’, most of the ones big enough to have their own wiki page have only existed since the mid to late 2000s. I don’t think they suddenly got shit, I think they always were we just have statistical data (lol) to show how it’s flawed.

2) Maybe older polling pre-2000s was more correct thanks to a more homogenous opinion/Overton Window due to; a low information populace, less diversity in media etc. Going back to this being an American company. Only 2/3rds of the country could read in the 1950s. Considering how thick everyone is we’re a far more educated populace now which creates nuance that you can’t get from talking to 300 people and saying it speaks for 3 million.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My employer sends out Resident Satisfaction Surveys every year and they are absolutely pointless. They were wringing their hands over it last year because the "Very Satisfied" percentage went up (great) but so did the "Very Unsatisfied" one () and they were fretting over the lack of Middle ground.

They employed a fucking team to phone around the people that didn't return the survey and were somehow surprised that it was the entirety of the middle ground they were missing. Well fucking obviously lads, no cunt fills out a survey to say "yeah s'alright".

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    "Oh, I loved her first album." <sound of a gun being loaded>
    That don't impress me much

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you just know when surveys are bullshit. I knew the Conservative Party were going to win in 2015, in spite of the polls, just as phonics can presumably feel that Afghanistan is a lot more enlightened than that survey would suggest.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My colleague knows this legend, who he says was actually arrested because he put his prices up, so nobody was really worried about him since it was just a routine shakedown thing. But obviously things have slipped a bit over there, so ​the prison officers released him with a mobile phone and a rag for his head and told him to run for it. He rang his wife and posted a Facebook appeal for help, and his old network got him on a flight back. The balls on that man. He was making a fortune as well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to my mates in China stabilising the country while turning it into the world's biggest open cut mine.