35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah fuck that I'd be gone.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was meant to be interviewing someone at 10am for a job. He didn't join the Teams call so I rang him and he's basically fobbed me off saying he's got another job. Yeah nice one mate, but you could have told us.

SvN was right, fuck this shit.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have no sympathy for any company in that respect. 99% of them wouldn't let you know if you hadn't got a job, you're just supposed to guess.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody who wins the lottery then keeps on doing their job if it's not some actual dream job scenario needs stripped of the money then put it back in the pot.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    I'd have no sympathy for any company in that respect. 99% of them wouldn't let you know if you hadn't got a job, you're just supposed to guess.
    It's not the company that needs sympathy, it's me. I had to sit and look at myself on a Teams call for ten minutes. The guy confirmed yesterday he'd be available at 10am.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Anybody who wins the lottery then keeps on doing their job if it's not some actual dream job scenario needs stripped of the money then put it back in the pot.
    Exactly this. I mean, I would probably do some form of work if the money was just enough to sustain my life, rather than turning me into a billionaire, purely because I would get bored. But we're talking a part-time job stacking shelves or something.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably have good intentions of working my notice if my manager wanted me to but if I had millions in the bank it'd be sorely tested the first time anybody have me shit for anything to not just shut the laptop and be done forever.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was lottery win money I would quit immediately by hosing them all down with champagne.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put it all in BazBot and carry on like nothing happened.

But seriously, I'd keep working short-term. The project I'm on now finishes in about 2025 and I've had a big hand in building it from the ground up (well, down, technically) and I'm actually quite proud of it so I'm not sure I could fuck off out of the blue. Three more years is nothing, the money will still be waiting for me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not when a giant pipe squashes you in 2024.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would quit immediately.

Also lol at the 'I'd get bored' people.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I would quit immediately.

Also lol at the 'I'd get bored' people.
    The "I'd get bored" only applies to the stipulation that the money was enough to retire on but nothing else. It would essentially make you one of the people that sit around on Benefits. And considering the amount of unnecessary drama they get involved with I can only assume they are very, very bored.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You always need the next challenge, don't you? I'd buy a golf course, or something.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    There's a fun hypothetical: would you quit your job immediately if you won the lottery (as in enough to comfortably live on)? I'm not sure I would.
    The sensible thing to do would be to work one's notice rather than start spending immediately to let the whole thing sink in, but I expect the reality would be that you'd be out of the door as soon something came up I didn't want to do.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    The "I'd get bored" only applies to the stipulation that the money was enough to retire on but nothing else. It would essentially make you one of the people that sit around on Benefits. And considering the amount of unnecessary drama they get involved with I can only assume they are very, very bored.
    If it was enough money to keep a yearly income similar to my current one, I'd be laughing my way through life. I get bored in my job. I have plenty of stuff to keep me entertained outside of it. If we're just talking about some sort of minimum wage then fuck that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab sent me a Teams message this morning. "I know one big secret from the company yesterday, but I will tell you on Whatsapp in case Teams is read by the bosses"

Can't fault him for watertight security, so we moved over to our phones, whereupon he told me that the director of finance, a hapless Indian, has been SACKED. I was slightly surprised, as the last we saw of said hapless Indian was a couple of days ago when a message went out from the MD sending condolences on the death of his father. If the Arab is right, I reckon father dead and SACKED in the same week has to take the biscuit/biltong for heartless South African behaviour.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he was sacked for killing his father.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MD sent an email announcing the SACKing. He's now come down saying 'It's the South Africans, man. What could I do?'

Violins everywhere.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did The Arab know?
    I'm a twit

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my offer for a cyber security company. A £14,000 increase in basic and a much, much better comp plan.

Can't quit yet, have to wait until me expenses are paid as I know if I hand in my notice they wouldn't pay.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how one 20-minute meeting can be the difference between aimlessness with zero motivation, to knowing exactly what you need to do.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    How did The Arab know?
    His brother does the IT, so he gets to hear early of any hirings/firings when IT change the accounts over / set up new computers.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy floyd View Post
    his brother does the it, so he gets to hear early of any hirings/firings when it change the accounts over / set up new computers.
    IT-K.

Dots.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arab is a tier one source.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HERE WE GO!! OFFICIAL, JIMMY HAS BEEN SACKED AND HAS TO GO BACK TO THE KOREANS!

Deal is subject to satisfactory medical and confirmation he is happy to eat dogs. Terms agreed on a 2 year deal.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ornstein already confirmed that. You're a fraud.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People really are retards, aren't they?

Had a reasonable interview yesterday with a guy for our junior developer role. He has fuck all experience other than a 16 week coding bootcamp, but he came across well, and seemed enthusiastic enough and his work actually doesn't look too bad for a beginner. So I emailed him today with a small coding competency test. His reply was to ask what the salary range for the role was - despite it being on the job advert he applied on, and still present on our website.

He's now decided that the range is too low for him to consider because he has a mortgage to pay for. Maybe you should've considered that before you decided to switch careers and apply for junior roles at the age of 36 you fucking moron?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heads have gone.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump him up, Bazbot is running wild you can afford it.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, you'd set a dangerous precedent. Plus he sounds like a bottlejob.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had a right lol episode today. The Indian had his bike nicked the other day, and saw it come up for sale on Facebook marketplace. Barney took up his case for him, and messaged the person who was selling it to say he was interested and arrange a meet at 11am. A date was arranged around the back of TK Maxx in Hounslow. The Indian started ringing round his hardman mates from the Indian community to join him on the mission to get it back. None of them were available at such short notice (or perhaps because they felt the mission foolhardy), so a crack two-man team of the Russian and the Arab volunteered to join him on the hunt (the Arab seemed particularly keen to spill some criminal blood, despite my warnings about the consequences for his temporary visa).

I sat there utterly bemused, not only that it was suddenly OK to leave in the middle of the working day to perform this vigilante rescue on a bicycle, but also about the logistics. I asked them what they were planning to do with the bike once they had (somehow) stolen it back - ride it away? The Indian said he hadn't thought about that part yet.

Barney stayed behind at HQ to monitor Facebook, which proved an important role, as no sooner had the hit squad departed in their shiny black Mercedes than the 'seller' got cold feet and cancelled the appointment, claiming the bike had now been sold. Minutes later, the ad had been taken down. Undeterred, the trio headed to Hounslow, got out and found three nearby policemen who they asked to come with them on the rescue. The bobbies sucked their teeth and said well, actually, we'll need a crime reference. The Indian gave them the crime reference. The bobbies called someone and said that the case had been closed, and that the Indian would need to ring 101 to get the case re-opened. The Russian, quite reasonably, said listen, you lot are literally police officers, can you not just come with us and you might find a whole load of stolen bikes and/or a trail to other criminal activity. The bobbies said no, sorry, we're community police, you need to get the case re-opened first.

Tails between legs, the trio came back to the office saying oh well, at least we tried. That was until just now, when the Indian found that the bike had been stuck back up on Facebook at a higher price. He's just shut the door and started ringing round his mates again...

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The police element of that story is genuinely insane.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I got my offer for a cyber security company. A £14,000 increase in basic and a much, much better comp plan.

Can't quit yet, have to wait until me expenses are paid as I know if I hand in my notice they wouldn't pay.
    Haha, the new sales director stepped in and wanted to meet me first. Had another lengthy interview and they've lowballed me and reduced the offer.

By 5k

EDIT: Context is the new sales director hadn't started when I went for my first interview, was only in the job a week when I had my second with the sales manager and he made the verbal offer.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you made a good impression

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that even a thing? I mean, if it was a horrendous impression surely it's offer rescinded not fucking lowballed?

I'm trying to keep perspective here on the basis I get out of this nightmare, it is a salary increase regardless, but it's not exactly a huge vote of confidence is it. Then again, did the sales manager have any right to make me a verbal offer in the first place?

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stand your ground. He's chancing it. That 5k will probably go into his bonus.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weren't you on a million a week before this anyway?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of that million was on commission, I think.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Stand your ground. He's chancing it. That 5k will probably go into his bonus.
    I said I'd accept the original offer, but it's not giving me the greatest of vibes.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have rotten luck with jobs.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sales, I think.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They put some 'executive leadership' poster up at work, with all the bigwigs on it, so I bought some googly eyes and glued them onto everybody.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down, igor.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey this happened.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got two other offers:

£50k basic and £30k OTE
    £65k basic and annual revenue bonus

Can't wait to quit this pile of shit.

EDIT: The first company said I could get the extra £2k after my 3 month probation...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter seems a far better deal?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What car do you get?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't be arsed with people pretending to know stuff. Some of you may recall an interaction I shared with a "Rachel" trying to delegate tasks to me that aren't in my job description.

Well a group of us were involved in creating a massive document for national publication. Some bright spark decided to just copy the 2018 version and "update" it. I provided my part (which pharmacies deliver which services) and they come back to me asking which ones have a certain accreditation. I've never heard of this accreditation and Google was throwing up nothing. I was previously unaware of this accreditation, I don't think any of our pharmacies have it. Job done, get rid.

Lo and behold it was left in, claiming all 31 of our pharamcies have this accreditation. No.

Now big trouble has ensued.

I’ve had a quick look, only as far as the introduction and conclusions and the HWB are leaving themselves wide open to legal challenge. Some of what I have read is completely inaccurate or misrepresentative.
    Top job everyone. And this is just one example in a long list of people pretending they know what they're taking about being put in charge of stuff they've absolutely zero knowledge of. Extra annoying cos in this case, the people in question are agency staff getting paid 4 times what the people who could do a far better job are getting paid.

Thankfully I'm off for 2 weeks after tomorrow so can't be roped into cleaning it up.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think being petty might be my main hobby these days. It's probably going to end up blowing up in my face at some point, but I can't help it. It's the drama Mick, I just love it.

Last week of school term my daughter had a "showcase" at school, it was only an hour long, but baking in the commute and queuing I needed an hour and a half. My manager wasn't in, so I had to ask the head of department if I could start half hour early and have an hour and a half lunch. Such a thing has never been a problem.

Her response: "you will need to keep to normal hours going forward. Please book annual leave." OK, looks like we're not being flexible anymore.

Guess who wants me to set off at 7:30am to cover a court hearing on Monday? Sorry boss, I am under strict instructions to stick to normal hours. No can do.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recruitment manager has booked me two interviews for today: 3pm and 4pm. On a Friday. In this weather.

Seething doesn't cover it.