Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading an article about the furlough scheme on indy100 and was surprised to be greeted by a photo and quote from our very own @Smjffy. Is this the interview you were on about?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Because he’s one of them. It works the same for Boris and Dave and Gideon.
    The media twats aren't the media generally. The twats absolutely hate Boris Johsnon to the point of being demented enough to have previously tried to get Rory Stewart similarly over.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I’m not the sharpest tool in the drawer but it seems very simple; I’ve got the contract, the payslip and my job registers on my HMRC account. I heard Steve Barclay, the Brexit secretary, said there had been “trade offs” in order to keep the scheme simple. We aren’t “trade offs”; these are real people he’s talking about”.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite a shit situation. They should've stuck to the date of employment rather than the payday. You've put hours in for them as an employee and should've been allowed to be furloughed.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 pages of documentation coming out tomorrow. Woo!

edit days?

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have faith but it's taking forever and the longer it takes the worst the situation becomes.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that it leaves itself open to fraud if they allow people who weren't paid until after it was announced to be elligible. I remember when they announced it (with very few details) there was talk about people getting their family members and friends all on the payroll ASAP, in order to claim.

I know Smiff will point towards his contract and other evidence, but it's not realistic to expect HMRC to investigate the individual hundreds of thousands of people that fall into this narrow band. They either need to choose between letting the fraudsters run riot or setting a strict cut off date that can't be faked and stick two fingers up to the poor bastards that have fallen through the cracks.

They appear to have chosen the later.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    The problem is that it leaves itself open to fraud if they allow people who weren't paid until after it was announced to be elligible. I remember when they announced it (with very few details) there was talk about people getting their family members and friends all on the payroll ASAP, in order to claim.

I know Smiff will point towards his contract and other evidence, but it's not realistic to expect HMRC to investigate the individual hundreds of thousands of people that fall into this narrow band. They either need to choose between letting the fraudsters run riot or setting a strict cut off date that can't be faked and stick two fingers up to the poor bastards that have fallen through the cracks.

They appear to have chosen the later.
    I can point to my contract, my wage slip, my HMRC account which shows current employer, emails leading too job, order sheets etc. The main issue is they did something very similar for TUPE'd workers that new starters are asking for since the beginning. It's also 500,000 odd from hospitality (our season being right now) and the rough numbers are in the millions according to MP's.

It's all rather fucked up anyway. A stress one doesn't need.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you on the dole?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who sent you money?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    He's OUR leader.
    He is the Prime Minister, not the unquestionable god emperor. Remember the geezer spent the first part of his premiership getting bummed by his own party in parliamentary votes. As Boris himself said, the things he mentioned will be put to parliament tomorrow anyway so not sure why having the leader of the opposition comment is such an affront.

I agree though that Starmer is getting an easier ride, some of the stuff the BBC did to Corbyn was ridiculous: I remember they asked him for comment the morning after the Manchester bombing then started pushing him for his views on how that affected the election.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Are you on the dole?
    Yep although it's a bit of a piss take in that it's barely a weeks wage. The worst part I think is just having your entire income removed overnight without any heads up, that sucked, the timing never helped either given I left Wales in February to do a week trial somewhere just before I moved to Cornwall so I spent nearly £300 in travel alone. I basically got paid on the 28th for what I worked, paid off bills and bought some food, ran out of cash by 19th April and then my week went to shit thereafter. I think the worst thing at the moment is not knowing when that is going to change. At this moment in time I can't afford to get a train ticket to go back home which is what I would have done and looked for work back in care or something so I'm sort of left hoping the restaurant I work at reopens but that's unlikely until June/July or even August depending on where or what you read.

In short chaps, it's been a really challenging period in my life as most my issues in life have been mental ones not financial so it's been a weird feeling. I've never been in this position before and I don't see where it changes. I don't see how Universal Credit payment will last the month as the calculator said I should expect £417 but I got way less than that. I'll call tomorrow but I was on the phone for over two hours just trying to get registered to the Universal Credit so I don't know if it will be a quick fix or if I even got the right amount.

I do think after all this is done I do need a career change as I can imagine this repeating itself somewhere down the line if God forbid we have to lock down again at some point but what do you do when you're as unskilled as I am. Lab rat?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than a career change I think you need to find a place (i.e. geographical location) where you're able and content to be. The job will then come to you. Being itinerant suits some but it strikes me you want to actually get bedded in somewhere.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prepare for a teacher backlash, followed by some teacher bashing.

Just another day, really.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    More than a career change I think you need to find a place (i.e. geographical location) where you're able and content to be. The job will then come to you. Being itinerant suits some but it strikes me you want to actually get bedded in somewhere.
    You're not far off, I suppose. I like bouncing around, I really do but at the same time I think if I found myself in an area where I had a couple of nice friends, good influences then I'd be more inclined to stick around but then life takes over and before I know it I'm somewhere else in UK starting over or back home for a while then make another move.

Fuck like you cook.
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just got round to watching Boris's speech....can someone simplify it because that's a whole load of bollocks.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    I've just got round to watching Boris's speech....can someone simplify it because that's a whole load of bollocks.
    It's very simple. Don't go out but feel free to go out and when you do go out do not use public transport but you can use public transport and you must work from home unless you can't work from home then you work from work.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EXERCISE FOR ALL. Here are things you might be able to do but don't do them yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610594

Okay, I can't see any issues with that. Maybe ... maybe the French could quarantine the people coming back from our infested isle.
    Last edited by Shindig; 11-05-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The warehouse manager's phone has been ringing this morning with furloughed people clarifying if they need to come 'back to work' due to Boris's statement last night. Surely he doesn't have to be that clear and they are just idiots? Or am I underestimating things?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Prepare for a teacher backlash, followed by some teacher bashing.

Just another day, really.
    The bashing has already started - did you see the shit about 'sabotaging lessons'? Oh and The Blob article, of course.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The warehouse manager's phone has been ringing this morning with furloughed people clarifying if they need to come 'back to work' due to Boris's statement last night. Surely he doesn't have to be that clear and they are just idiots? Or am I underestimating things?
    I wouldn’t know, fwiw.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said go back to work if you can and made no mention of Furlough at all. In what world are they the problem here?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    He said go back to work if you can and made no mention of Furlough at all. In what world are they the problem here?
    Well I think in his world (and mine) it would go without saying that furloughed people are still furloughed regardless of this particular update, but evidently not everyone thinks like that, or are able to take the phrase 'back to work' in the context of the sentence it is placed in rather than as some kind of stand alone phrase.

Part of the problem (as ever with politicians/journalists) is that they don't inhabit the real world, just a theoretical administrative one.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 11-05-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was really clear and the people were behind the governments very clear policy?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general it is completely murky and unclear (for instance - my mum inviting me to sit in their garden tonight - not allowed, mum), but I thought that bit was blindingly obvious.

It would take about three hours for him to read it all out if he had to go through everything in full.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think in his world (and mine) it would go without saying that furloughed people are still furloughed regardless of this particular update, but evidently not everyone thinks like that, or are able to take the phrase 'back to work' in the context of the sentence it is placed in rather than as some kind of stand alone phrase.

Part of the problem (as ever with politicians/journalists) is that they don't inhabit the real world, just a theoretical administrative one.
    I'm moving from furlough to working this week. I think it's understandable that some people would expect to go back to factory jobs this week.

Have been told we will be given 48 hours notice once they've decided how we will remobilise.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What context? It was a load of fucking babble in which he said 'don't do that!... but you can if you have to'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    The bashing has already started - did you see the shit about 'sabotaging lessons'? Oh and The Blob article, of course.
    I haven't. I don't want to be just another moaning teacher, but there are so many questions that will need clearing up soon.

I'm glad my Year 6s may have a chance to see each other again, but I'm not sure how it will work or what their attitudes will be like. With the three year groups and the key workers in, that's potentially half the school. Assuming there will be no more than half a class size in each classroom, that could be very classroom being used daily again in June, and presumably most teachers in most days.

It's going to take some organising.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'd been furloughed (and was in England since thankfully we're just keeping lockdown as is for now) I'd probably be ringing my employer to see what was happening.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dominic Raab has said I can see my family - but it has to be in the park? I can play tennis with them as well.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smjffy View Post
    I can point to my contract, my wage slip, my HMRC account which shows current employer, emails leading too job, order sheets etc. The main issue is they did something very similar for TUPE'd workers that new starters are asking for since the beginning. It's also 500,000 odd from hospitality (our season being right now) and the rough numbers are in the millions according to MP's.

It's all rather fucked up anyway. A stress one doesn't need.
    Yeah I get that there's plenty of evidence - that's not really the point I was trying to make. It's more the fact that due to it being open to very easy abuse, they'd either need to just let that slide or assess claims on an individual basis. There's just not enough resource to do that, especiallly if your number of millions is accurate.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    If I'd been furloughed (and was in England since thankfully we're just keeping lockdown as is for now) I'd probably be ringing my employer to see what was happening.
    I've already had two ask me this morning.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not release the guidance at the same time as the statement? Stupid question but then surely you can put both together and then everyone can work from there? Or is that too logical?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Dominic Raab has said I can see my family - but it has to be in the park? I can play tennis with them as well.
    Don't think you can play tennis with them, only with people you live with.

You can however see one of them at a time, if 2m away, in a park, but not in their (or your) garden.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dominc Raab has said today it's fine to see two people at the same time in a park as long as you're socially distancing.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overwhelmed by the clarity of this communications strategy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Dominc Raab has said today it's fine to see two people at the same time in a park as long as you're socially distancing.
    Hasn't that since been changed to say you can't?

Fucking shambles.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol @ all the Scottish subbies going down to Engloland for work. Sturg going to bury the economy here. Thank God I work for an English firm now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Lol @ all the Scottish subbies going down to Engloland for work. Sturg going to bury the economy here. Thank God I work for an English firm now.
    Piss off we're full

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Piss off we're full
    You cunts came up here during the recession.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said people who can't work from home should be looking to go back to back. Workplaces will obviously have to prepare for people coming back, hence people not heading back in today, but it is a shift on the previous guidance, so people will want to know. Difficult that.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Emia View Post
    Why not release the guidance at the same time as the statement? Stupid question but then surely you can put both together and then everyone can work from there? Or is that too logical?
    Presumably they want to test the water and make sure immediate problems and risks are addressed in the document (policy heads probably furiously editing things like seeing loved ones from different households as we speak).

The whole fiasco is merely proof that logic has been lacking from day one.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a 90's Brit-pop band, only with 5 year old Viet kids. Wearing masks.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nonce.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate says Benidorm bars and cafes are open today. He went straight for a coffee.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pubs reopening here 10th August.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    They've since clarified that it isn't, you can only see one.

When I say clarified, I of course mean 'contradicted him'. Ministers are so fucking badly briefed on everything, half of what comes out of their mouths is just bollocks.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I can see one person in a park I don't live with?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mates pub is open

I’m going for a pint.