User Tag List

View Poll Results: Look, what if we just had one big football thread?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOAR. FREDS.

0 0%
  • One thread, Welby? One? That's insane.

3 50.00%
  • I insist on monthly threads for reasons I can't really articulate.

3 50.00%
  • Would probably be fine?

0 0%
  • Turtle

0 0%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: January Football: This Time It's 2024ier

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as this thread is now a stream of consciousness, how is a Spanish court deciding if something that happened in Australia might be a crime or not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67861492

Also, Albert Luque? Not heard about him for a while.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there grades of sexual assault and coercion in whatever jurisdiction this might be tried in or is Rubiales facing an equivalent punishment as Andrew Tate is for the hideous shit he's been accused of?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Are there grades of sexual assault and coercion in whatever jurisdiction this might be tried in or is Rubiales facing an equivalent punishment as Andrew Tate is for the hideous shit he's been accused of?
    I'm no fan of Tate but I strongly suspect certain people wanted him taken down. We see it happen all the time. Same with Alex Jones, same with Trump. They tried it a bit with Peterson too, and Rogan. Anyone who isn't a woke prat that's very popular, basically.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did old HB get instabanned?

Why are we still doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    No idea, but isn't it pretty fundamental that criminal investigations or whatever are within the jurisdiction attempting to carry them out? If not, what's to stop Saudi Arabia requesting the extradition of all the gays [in the village]? Pretty sure Australia have their own laws about sexual assault.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Did old HB get instabanned?

Why are we still doing that?
    Sad bastard admins.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal are understood to have complained to the Premier League's refereeing body over the rough treatment received by Bukayo Saka.

The winger was the third most foul player in the top flight across 2023 with only Jordan Ayew at Crystal Palace and Newcastle's Bruno Guimaraes being scythed down more often. It is those high numbers that prompted the Gunners to raise the issue as part of a wider conversation with the officials.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal only do the most Arsenal things. They're like the footballing wing of the Good Law Project.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Sad bastard admins.
    More like SADmins.

Wasn't me.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a first offence and a guilty plea you'd get less for manslaughter than we've given Harold. I'm all for banning him again if he's as intolerable as he was last time, but let's at least give him a chance not to be.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Justice for Harold.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been about 10 years. Give him a chance at least.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *board collapses under unprecedented spamming campaign*

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone from the north east, tell me why Sunderland have decorated their bar with Newcastle colours and insignia. I've seen a lot of twitter outrage (no doubt rightly), went to the Sunderland forum where in the space of five hours there is already a 95 page thread (literally 95) of THIS IS A DISGRACE OWNER OUT NOW but I cannot anywhere see the reason why it has been done.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it not just the branding of Carling? I assumed they were genuinely dumb and didn’t think it through

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's Carling branding but the words BLACK AND WHITE are setting them off. For all they know, Carling could be big nWo fans.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you move this game to a Thursday night only to bury it on ITV4?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have to question how these matches get picked. Is the third round so bereft of apparently interesting games that Palace v Everton which, on any given weekend would be in the running to be the least entertaining matches going, is a highlight?

I see Calvert-Lewin has been earmarked for the killer slo-mo treatment. There's so little in that. Disgraceful decision.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t believe they’re still doing replays in the FA Cup. Get it in the bin

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they should include a system of sealed bids whereby each team has to state the price they would accept for it to go to pens, and the price they are willing to pay to avoid the replay - you could make it a little game of higher/lower or something.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, can't be overstated how mad the whole 'get on with the game' outrage is when you've got McNeil down, seriously injured in the tiny area between the byline and the crowd, surrounded by medics and whatnot and there's a sense that the game should continue because he's not on the pitch.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume it still benefits the non-league lot to get a home tie at someone big. They can sell a lot of scarfs, hastily erect a temporary stand (MORE OF THIS, PLEASE!) and then mention how a run to the 4th round has kept the club running for a year.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replays are the best. Anything which pisses off managers should be maximised. In fact there should be no pens in the FA Cup, just endless replays.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvechurch and Oxford City contested the most replayed tie in the 1971–72 qualification, in a tie which went to 6 matches.
    The Isner-Mahut of cup ties.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Someone from the north east, tell me why Sunderland have decorated their bar with Newcastle colours and insignia. I've seen a lot of twitter outrage (no doubt rightly), went to the Sunderland forum where in the space of five hours there is already a 95 page thread (literally 95) of THIS IS A DISGRACE OWNER OUT NOW but I cannot anywhere see the reason why it has been done.
    Nobody's quite sure, but the whole thing has been a saga, ever since the draw was made. It's possible that there's been a bit of misunderstanding - Newcastle fans have access to one of the corporate suites so it made sense that Sunderland memorabilia would be removed or covered up in that area, but not replaced by Newcastle stuff.

Sunderland were going to do a full lower tier display/tifo, then it emerged Newcastle were being given one of the whole home ends (6,000, including lower tier and thousands of season ticket holders having to move. Thankfully I'm at the other end). This is despite cup games in the past being restricted to 2,000 fans for 'safety reasons'.

Then the club announced that nothing anti-Saudi regime would be permitted so it all got scrapped. Only today have the Newcastle display people announced that they're not allowed a display either, suggesting it was actually being strongly considered. Photos have also emerged today about the huge segregation in place, and many people have pointed out that they have tickets where the segregation is currently in place.

For anyone interested, Newcastle fans are all being coached in in separate bubble trips, starting at 8.30am. They won't be given their ticket until they're on the coach and they're not allowed to leave it.

It's all been a bit of a shit show and I'd rather just have the game out of the way.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree with the sentiment, the idea of Sunderland protesting the ownership of someone else considering their owner is quite lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Jimmy, if you see a couple of threads down there's our owner apologising via Instagram.

Look a bit further down and there's a 2k thread on the display stuff I mentioned and a 3k thread on the build up to the match.

I'd recommend you sign up as the off topic section has a fairly active cricket forum.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, the idea of Sunderland protesting the ownership of someone else considering their owner is quite lol.
    I don't think our owner really compares to Saudi Arabia.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    I don't think our owner really compares to Saudi Arabia.
    No, the Louis-Dreyfus group has been the cause/enabler of human misery for far longer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I'm not sure, you'll need to enlighten me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gather round children.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScousePig View Post
    Really? I'm not sure, you'll need to enlighten me.
    In agriculture they're THE global force because they've been profiteering off famine since the great depression then war broke out and they used those profits to spin off into manufacturing weapons during WW1, this got them access to the mining trade in the various colonies where to this day they're the third largest company in the sector behind Glencore and Trafigura who are also globally reknowned for being evil. So having spent the mid-19th to the mid-20th century exploiting the 3rd world as efficiently as possible, it was time to turn inwards. Forming a company to harvest and sell patient and medical industry data to Pharmaceutical companies marketing departments, that company was co-founded by Arthur Sackler, you might recognise that name because that would be the family that bribed doctors to prescribe their highly addictive opiates to people resulting in 250 million prescriptions a year for a drug more potent than morphine, creating addicts and destroying families for profit. All this and ignoring running hedge funds, energy companies, oil and gas companies is bad enough. But then the coup de gras, where do you and your evil friends turn if your evil gets in the news or you plan to be evil and need to put a nice face on it, Saatchi & Saatchi. Perfection.

Its fine though, no-one gets rich by being nice. You have to break a few eggs etc. So let's just look at their contributions to sport. The father of Sunderlands owner got into sport when he left Saatchi to become CEO of Adidas, he had no experience in the sector but the owner was a mate of his. The company was in dire financial straits despite the continued shipping of all manufacturing to various sweatshops across Asia that it was nationalised by the French state. A weird move that was in no way influenced by the owner of Adidas being a government minister at the time. The company would begin to recover thanks to the safety this completely legitimate and above board decision provided, where it would eventually be sold to the Father who kindly paid agreed to pay 'above market value' for the company. Having set the market value himself as the CEO of the company and being the only one able to approve a sale. Buying a company with an annual revenue of $4.7 billion for half a billion dollars despite his valuation behind half of that. What a kind man. A truly impressive feat and a life well lived. Having achieved all that it'd be cruel to hold the 10 million in FIFA bribes against him.

Edit: Probably my most well researched post ever, it's wild how difficult it is to actually find out how they got there. It's just like 'A man bought some grain, then time passed and he owned 50% of the sugar farms in Brazil'

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's some cracking whataboutery.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying both are evil is not whataboutery.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm ... I think that Calvert-Lewin red is going to stand. Over the ball is usually dangerous play in today's game.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will stand because there is a blanket non acceptance that Emilio Martinez trying to kill Rashford the other week is dangerous when you can freeze frame a high foot which barely touches anyone. It's difficult to buy into the whole "if you've played the game" spiel , but sometimes that view isn't Joey Barton levels of stupid. Another good acid test is if literally no one gets agitated by something, then it is probably, in all likelihood, not something needing serious scrutiny and sanction. It's easier just to roll out some bullshit to justify the decision. Roy Hodgson had it right, at a loss, but he could come up with some passing justification which is good enough for Howard Webb and his gang of useless wankers.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Sunderland win here would be mega

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the likelier outcome. He haven't won one since 2012 or something.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love a dirty game here. Some proper naughty challenges and a bit of needle is what I want.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A whole stand full of mags. We've come a long way since the away bans.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle to smash them.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stripes vs stripes. It doesn't clash but I don't like seeing it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say the opposite. It is unusual but I like it. Moar home kit usage.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kits are fucking annoying but class affair. Please someone break Gordon's legs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This game has always been stripes vs. stripes as far as I can remember.

I'm a big advocate of playing in your home kit unless the clash is obvious. Middlesbrough have developed a horrible habit of using our away blue/yellow kit whenever possible just because it sells well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Class finish. No keeper's saving that.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joelinton is the biggest looking 6ft1 bloke I’ve ever seen. Honestly thought he was 6ft3 or 4

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've controlled the midfield pretty well. Sunderland's not giving us that much space but they've left the wings free a couple of times.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's cool.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see so, so many goals conceded dilly-dallying at the moment. Just fucking punt it lads.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gordon wasn't going anywhere there. Don't lay hands on him and nowt happens.