Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 16917

Thread: News of the day

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    What does that mean? If you don't want to pay for your child's life you don't need to?
    Yeah if a woman can decide to get rid with the father having no say, then a man should be able to cut all responsibilities to the child with no say from the mother. The decision should have to be made in the same time frame before birth though, and should be irreversible.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that mean? If you don't want to pay for your child's life you don't need to?
    I assume if you don't want to have a child but your partner decides to keep it you aren't liable?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you want to actually walk away from your child? Even if you didn't want the pregnancy, you did provide half of the output on the day and surely would feel some responsibility. On a human level.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you want to actually walk away from your child? Even if you didn't want the pregnancy, you did provide half of the output on the day and surely would feel some responsibility. On a human level.
    Exactly half the output but currently one party has all the say in the matter. If a man's responsibility can be questioned without questioning the responsibility of a woman who can decide to terminate it completely, then we really are on a bad road.
    You ask why would you want to walk away but you don't ask why you would want to get rid altogether?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can apply that exact same argument to the abortion. If you don’t want a kid, you don’t want a kid.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that but once you know it's there, would you not want anything to do with your child?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that but once you know it's there, would you not want anything to do with your child?
    No different from knowing there's going to be a child and deciding to kill it off early.

The main thing though is that the kid is made between two parties but currently one is making all the decisions for both. Men should be afforded the same choice the woman has.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn’t really matter does it? I support a woman’s right to say ‘fuck, I didn’t want to get pregnant’ and take steps to sort it. A man isn’t afforded the same right. Why not? Whether many would actually do it is kind of irrelevant.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could men vote in that referendum?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There's no mandate destructive so-called 'Hard Abortions'. The limit should be set at four weeks.
    The morning after pill would probably be enough at that point, so are you basically saying you don't agree with abortion?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that isn't to have a go, it's such a fine line one that I could easily see the first world having reached the opposite conclusion of where most of it has actually ended up.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Could men vote in that referendum?
    Of course they could. Not sure what your point is though.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a [shit] joke about referendum results.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    That it's a woman's choice so men shouldn't have a say, not being able to get pregnant and all.

As you were Lewis.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    That it's a woman's choice so men shouldn't have a say, not being able to get pregnant and all.

As you were Lewis.
    That's a massive load of bollocks though.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a massive load of bollocks though.
    Yeah, it probably is.

It's an interesting one, and I'm not entirely sure where I sit. A while ago it would definitely have been, "entirely the woman's choice, no time limit, etc." but now I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    It doesn’t really matter does it? I support a woman’s right to say ‘fuck, I didn’t want to get pregnant’ and take steps to sort it. A man isn’t afforded the same right. Why not? Whether many would actually do it is kind of irrelevant.
    I'm pretty much asking *you* the question. What would you do?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much asking *you* the question. What would you do?
    Nope. But if I was a woman I wouldn’t have an abortion either.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think men should get to decide what women can and can't do.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I don't think men should get to decide what women can and can't do.
    You can't change the constitution of the country by only polling half of the electorate.

Women get to decide what they want to do with a pregnancy now anyway after the vote (once the legislation is drawn up), but men should now also be allowed to decide for themselves what they do with it too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem a bit odd. I have no issue with it really, it’s a woman’s issue really, but If they were voting to bring back military service would they only allow people under 16 to vote?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a tricky situation.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it’s a woman’s issue really
    Abortion is tricky business, and I avoid discussing the issue at all costs, unless speaking to someone who I know has a basic grasp of reason/logic. All I'll say here is that making abortion a 'woman's issue' is the biggest flaw of the whole discussion.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets get to the real question. Anybody in here been every had to go through the topic of discussion? I have, I'm ashamed to say and it burns me every time I think about it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Abortion is tricky business, and I avoid discussing the issue at all costs, unless speaking to someone who I know has a basic grasp of reason/logic. All I'll say here is that making abortion a 'woman's issue' is the biggest flaw of the whole discussion.
    How so? I get that men are impacted - how could I not, I have a child and another on the way - but ultimately it is women who’s lives are put at risk with illegal abortions. Or women having to leave the country for treatment. Or women being force to carry a baby they don’t want only to have it immediately removed at birth. Pregnancy is not an easy thing, I dread to think what it’s like when you don’t want to be.

On the whole, it is a woman’s issue. Men deserve some say, sure, but we shouldn’t be able to refuse them the option when the potential impact of such a decision is almost all on them.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How so? I get that men are impacted - how could I not, I have a child and another on the way - but ultimately it is women who’s lives are put at risk with illegal abortions. Or women having to leave the country for treatment. Or women being force to carry a baby they don’t want only to have it immediately removed at birth. Pregnancy is not an easy thing, I dread to think what it’s like when you don’t want to be.

On the whole, it is a woman’s issue. Men deserve some say, sure, but we shouldn’t be able to refuse them the option when the potential impact of such a decision is almost all on them.
    But giving men the choice wouldn't be taking the woman's choice away, nobody is trying to do that. It would just give men their own separate choice.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But giving men the choice wouldn't be taking the woman's choice away, nobody is trying to do that. It would just give men their own separate choice.
    I agree with you. Men should have the choice to say ‘I’m out’. But if the woman chooses to get rid, as fucking horrible as it would be, that’s the woman’s decision to make.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you. Men should have the choice to say ‘I’m out’. But if the woman chooses to get rid, as fucking horrible as it would be, that’s the woman’s decision to make.
    Most definitely.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    Lets get to the real question. Anybody in here been every had to go through the topic of discussion? I have, I'm ashamed to say and it burns me every time I think about it.
    Share?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was all unplanned. I've made it very clear I don't want any children or want to get married but she ended up pregnant. I still don't know how because at the time, we were still under protection. There was a discussion. I wasn't going to be there for the baby if she went through it. I made up my mind from the moment we found. I was and still am a coward and I'm afraid of the whole family thing.

We were together for a long time after the situation but I refused to talk about it which broke the relationship in the end. She did everything I ever asked her to do, and I refused to do anything any normal male is required to do in a relationship. I've got so much respect for the man that has a family and takes care of his. I'm just really selfish and cant bring me to do the whole family thing.

My views haven't changed since I was 16 and I'm damn near 30 now. All the people that I know have their little families, but they are unhappy. I like to think I've done the right thing as I'm much happier alone but think ’what if’

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I think if the child isn't growing into a loving home, then you did the right thing.

If you read freakonomics, the author makes the argument that the thing that saw the largest drop in crime in NY was the change in law twenty years previously which allowed for abortion. It meant that those kids who would have been born into unloving, poor, crime ridden homes were never born and never fell into the life.

Not saying that last bit is about you btw.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SincereTheRebel View Post
    It was all unplanned. I've made it very clear I don't want any children or want to get married but she ended up pregnant. I still don't know how because at the time, we were still under protection. There was a discussion. I wasn't going to be there for the baby if she went through it. I made up my mind from the moment we found. I was and still am a coward and I'm afraid of the whole family thing.

We were together for a long time after the situation but I refused to talk about it which broke the relationship in the end. She did everything I ever asked her to do, and I refused to do anything any normal male is required to do in a relationship. I've got so much respect for the man that has a family and takes care of his. I'm just really selfish and cant bring me to do the whole family thing.

My views haven't changed since I was 16 and I'm damn near 30 now. All the people that I know have their little families, but they are unhappy. I like to think I've done the right thing as I'm much happier alone but think ’what if’
    Not just you chief. I've never been through it but I have no plans on having children for the same reason. You get some joy no doubt, but it's ridden with tiredness, financial woes and a restriction of what you do. It's a sacrifice I don't think I'll ever want to do.

Plus, most women don't want to sleep with me so it's really not that hard to enforce. /

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perverts in your postcode: Heat map reveals areas where Tayside and Fife’s 724 sex offenders live

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to make some friends outside of work?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of those map points match up...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're all housed in the Mecca bingo.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foe View Post
    Not just you chief. I've never been through it but I have no plans on having children for the same reason. You get some joy no doubt, but it's ridden with tiredness, financial woes and a restriction of what you do. It's a sacrifice I don't think I'll ever want to do.

Plus, most women don't want to sleep with me so it's really not that hard to enforce. /
    Well said. It took me a long time to figure out but I'm not responsible for a female happiness. Off-topic completely and should probably go into the relationship thread. Let me just slow down as I could go off

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, that anti-Kremlin Russian journalist shot and killed last week...… is alive. Apparently the whole thing was a ruse to expose Russian spies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44307611

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arne View Post
    So, that anti-Kremlin Russian journalist shot and killed last week...… is alive. Apparently the whole thing was a ruse to expose Russian spies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44307611
    Didn't tell his wife either, probably going to end up keeping the funeral date once she turns on the news.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty mega, but won't Russia (and whoever else) just be able to claim a stitch-up now whenever they off somebody?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ermaine-greer/

“Rape is rarely violent and doesn’t merit a jail term, claims Germaine Greer”

I mean... you what mate?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ermaine-greer/

“Rape is rarely violent and doesn’t merit a jail term, claims Germaine Greer”

I mean... you what mate?
    Helps to read the context of what she's talking about

Every time a man rolls over on his exhausted wife and insists on enjoying his conjugal right, he is raping her. It will never end up in a court of law.”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that’s still wrong. If your other half isn’t in the mood you don’t just stick it up her.

I get that not all rape is equal. A partner demanding, and taking sex without consent is probably not as bad as being dragged into the car of a sweaty stranger and being kept there, but to treat the former as more similar to Shop Lifting is bonkers.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most ridiculous part of that entire diatribe is this:

I was found wandering in the street very confused and rescued, thank God, because the people in the car were a man and a woman. If there had been four men in that car I don’t think you would have heard of me again.
    Yeah, the first instinct of any four men upon finding a raped girl would be to have another go and then murder her. Jesus Christ, why does anyone still pay attention to this idiot?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germaine Greer fascinates me.

She's clearly got a terminal case of "I'm old and I'll say what I like", but there's something endearing about her whether I agree or not.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is obviously plenty of 'old person saying daft stuff,' but I do think her point has some merit and nuance to it.

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    The most ridiculous part of that entire diatribe is this:

Yeah, the first instinct of any four men upon finding a raped girl would be to have another go and then murder her. Jesus Christ, why does anyone still pay attention to this idiot?
    If she'd said 'Muslim' I'd have agreed.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    There is obviously plenty of 'old person saying daft stuff,' but I do think her point has some merit and nuance to it.
    When you really drill down into it, her actual point - that not every rape is equal - is correct. But she ruins it by filling the remaining 95% of her speech with crap.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    When you really drill down into it, her actual point - that not every rape is equal - is correct. But she ruins it by filling the remaining 95% of her speech with crap.
    There are two things there: One, that the definition of what constitutes rape has become more and more inclusive. At the same time, the view of just how bad rape (all rape!) is has moved further towards the 'worst possible thing that could ever happen' edge. Then there is the current trend of treating rape victims (and lets remember, most rape talk nowadays centers around campus and Hollywood) as 'survivors' who are too weak to even talk to the police and should be sheltered from the whole world, lest they get triggered and feel raped over and over. Traditional feminism was all about empowering women, and the current trend does the exact opposite, telling women they are too weak to deal with this shit and as such they need to be protected by the institutions they are part of. Meanwhile, actual vulnerable groups and their issues go on ignored. I'm sure you can see how an old feminist might think that is fucked up.