User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christ! Church attacked in New Zealand

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I've always found the dominance of violence as a topic of video games slightly weird but no doubt someone can tell me why that is the case.
    It's no more dominant than in other forms of media really.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet fucking moulded this twat. Memes and shit written on his guns and a playlist to match.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The internet' did nothing, it's simply an extension of society which assholes are as free to use as the rest of us.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    It's no more dominant than in other forms of media really.
    Is it? I'd say a clear majority of games are themed around shooting/punching/blowing things up/all of the above. Not many antiques, love songs or romcoms. And I say this as someone who pretty much only enjoys games that aren't to do with those things, so I'm always out looking for them.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Is it? I'd say a clear majority of games are themed around shooting/punching/blowing things up/all of the above. Not many antiques, love songs or romcoms. And I say this as someone who pretty much only enjoys games that aren't to do with those things, so I'm always out looking for them.
    More actual combat I suppose but no less violence.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    It's a contrivance more than anything. I want to dig into more about why designers opt for it but I guess it's an easy option to put the player into a 'good fight' or something. Film predates the medium so, in some respects, they follow the popular action memes of cinema.
    It's fun. It's as simple as that.

Kids were play-fighting long before they could do so on an X-Box.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    'The internet' did nothing, it's simply an extension of society which assholes are as free to use as the rest of us.
    Nah, there's something to be said about the communities the internet breeds. It brings the arseholes together so much easier.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally ferret Yev out of the gaming section, and it's to defend computer games.

You're a Granddad, lad.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interactive medium too, and a fairly young one, it remains much easier to make an engaging game based around combat and much much easier to get it published. There's plenty of interactive fiction though (unfortunately much of it is Japanese in origin/inspiration which is less accessible by definition) it just isn't the best fit for the medium at the moment.

I don't think there's any less emphasis on violence, it's been a while since I had a tv but when I did you'd struggle to find any drama that wasn't about killing or violence in some way.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    We finally ferret Yev out of the gaming section, and it's to defend computer games.

You're a Granddad, lad.
    I'm not really defending computer games as I don't necessarily believe there is absolutely no link between people playing them and violence perpetrated in real life. I suspect if there is a link, you have to be pretty fucking unhinged in the first place for games to tap into that, but I'd certainly say it's possible.

Either way, I wouldn't ban them as they're fun and millions upon millions of people enjoy playing them without doing so, so I'd say it's a acceptable degree of risk if a link is there.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    How was he apprehended?
    Police rammed his car off the road, and dragged him out of the vehicle.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else remember 'video nasties' (they killed Jamie Bulger), it's a good job we solved that problem.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chucky was fucking terrifying.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to disown the absolute nonsense spouted about video games and concentrate harder on complete nihilist societal outcasts building communities in public forums communicating in what the majority thinks is edgy humor but for a small percentage is idelogically true. There's a reason you can look through the dudes 'manifesto' and it reads like a better researched mert post from when he was just copying the_donald memes. This is really, really, really bad and anyone that doesn't know at least what gamergate is has no chance of understanding what's happening on the internet at this point in time.

Meanwhile, lets see what the tabloids are saying:

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    concentrate harder on complete nihilist societal outcasts building communities in public forums communicating in what the majority thinks is edgy humor but for a small percentage is idelogically true.
    'this'

A few decades back, these people were outcasts. They had no friends and nobody patting them on the back for what is, in delicious irony, a declaration of Jihad. Instead, people called the fucking police.

These days, 'the chans', Twitter, Facebook and Reddit have made it easy for like minded people to congregate, for better, or, well, this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, the same forces that are giving us the Alt-right, Flat Earthers, Anti-Vaxers and murderous fascists are also giving us 27 Gender identities, Radical Feminism, Super Vegans and the Alt-Left.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that they congregate in these places, it's that these huge forums aren't doing the equivalent of us banning Harold. The first internet age was telnet. The second was the likes of us on fBBS. We're living through the third and none of these places have mods that overlook these communities.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, the same forces that are giving us the Alt-right, Flat Earthers, Anti-Vaxers and murderous fascists are also giving us 27 Gender identities, Radical Feminism, Super Vegans and the Alt-Left.
    Yep but none of these people end up going on murder sprees so I'm not sure it's quite the time for 'both sides'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep but none of these people end up going on murder sprees so I'm not sure it's quite the time for 'both sides'
    But some of them could have a bigger impact on society as a whole.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that they congregate in these places, it's that these huge forums aren't doing the equivalent of us banning Harold. The first internet age was telnet. The second was the likes of us on fBBS. We're living through the third and none of these places have mods that overlook these communities.
    The chans are anonymous boards, right? Oof.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev, before I reply to that post. I'm going to ask if you're still applying the 'I only post when I really care about a subject' thing?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chans are anonymous boards, right? Oof.
    Reddit and You Tube is just as much of a problem as any chan board. We centralised the internet and it was the worst thing to ever happen to the world.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but would you be surprised if a Radical Feminist ended up murdering a gym full of men? Or a vegan mowed down the entirety of a KFC restaurant? People aren't less mental just because they fall to the left. Less inclined to violence, perhaps, but it only takes a single nutt job.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev, before I reply to that post. I'm going to ask if you're still applying the 'I only post when I really care about a subject' thing?
    I'm not sure what dictates how I post these days, but I'm interested in this subject, yeah.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but would you be surprised if a Radical Feminist ended up murdering a gym full of men? Or a vegan mowed down the entirety of a KFC restaurant?
    Yeah I would considering this type of nutter is outdoing islamists in the attacking innocent people by a ratio of 3:1 and I'm not sure I've heard of a single mass murder in the name of veganism/radical feminism?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted, but would you be surprised if a Radical Feminist ended up murdering a gym full of men? Or a vegan mowed down the entirety of a KFC restaurant? People aren't less mental just because they fall to the left. Less inclined to violence, perhaps, but it only takes a single nutt job.
    The left stuff will have a more pernicious impact.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what dictates how I post these days, but I'm interested in this subject, yeah.
    Spikey managed to reply with an even fucking dumber post so just take that one and apply it to yours.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, there was that Trans YouTuber that murdered an office of people last year. So it does, and is happening.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay he doubled down with the fucking moronic shit. Have a look at yourself.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, there was that Trans YouTuber that murdered an office of people last year. So it does, and is happening.
    Okay that's one...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I would considering this type of nutter is outdoing islamists in the attacking innocent people by a ratio of 3:1 and I'm not sure I've heard of a single mass murder in the name of veganism/radical feminism?
    I haven't, and I said as much. I'm merely pointing out that the same insular forces are at play, and aren't necessarily a force for good.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All he's done is point out that it's a breeding ground for nutters on the right and left. You brought in the assumption that he was comparing what was worse.

It's like Henry. Labour can be an absolute fucking steaming pile of ineffective shit (as they are now), but he'll only criticise the Tories.

Grow the fuck up.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay he doubled down with the fucking moronic shit. Have a look at yourself.
    For what? If pointing out that Wingnuts are apparent, and radicalising, on both the left and right, makes you uncomfortable then I don't know what to tell you.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't, and I said as much. I'm merely pointing out that the same insular forces are at play, and aren't necessarily a force for good.
    Then you're arguing against the wrong person trying to both sides a murder of nearly 50 people. What made you feel the need to bring up those movements here. You made a completely seperate post about it so you must have thought it was an important issue to address?

It's been proved over and over and over again that the majority of nutters who kill people are on their side. Stop being a dumbass about it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you're arguing against the wrong person trying to both sides a murder of nearly 50 people. What made you feel the need to bring up those movements here. You made a completely seperate post about it so you must have thought it was an important issue to address?
    Nope. I've made my thoughts on the Far-Right clear, then I hit post, thought for a bit more and followed up with an aside rather than editing.

If you think I'm saying that the left is as violent as the right, I'm not. The right is demonstrably more violent. I was just pointing out that both the left and right are getting more extreme, and the previously mentioned websites are largely to blame.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he mean economic liberalism or social liberalism?

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, that tweet has a fact compared with a hypothetical (albeit one based around a probable or definite event) situation. And I don't think we're doing that in the name of liberalism. Generation Soapbox can fuck itself.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, that tweet has a fact compared with a hypothetical (albeit one based around a probable or definite event) one.
    Yeah was a bad post hence the edit. It's midnight on a friday, I'm allowed a couple of drinks edit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW love to get gaslit by nazis for years saying the ok symbol is just a troll and then the only time the press are allowed to take a picture of the fucker he pulls this

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been proved over and over and over again that the majority of nutters who kill people are on their side. Stop being a dumbass about it.
    Ha. Just seen the edit. Again, I made my thoughts on the far right pretty fucking clear. Then I mentioned some concerns about the far-left getting more and more loony too.

It really is very nice of you to prove my point.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is his face pixelated there but freely available everywhere else?

What in the fuck are we doing?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what it looks like after getting roughed up by the cops in interrogation

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A global story means that many local laws are broken.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also:

"Then you're arguing against the wrong person"

I was fucking agreeing with you.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isnt even the first terrorist attack by the right in this country. Mosques have been fire bombed plenty of times.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...school/7552394

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...c3c0ef0adf54a6

https://m.thechronicle.com.au/news/t...-fire/2610025/

Etc.

All the warning signs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's going to be a court case and he shouldn't be prejudiced. I mean, he filmed his self doing it, so I think we're cool, but anyone publishing his photo is walking a dangerous road.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also:

"Then you're arguing against the wrong person"

I was fucking agreeing with you.
    Sorry in that case.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The left stuff will have a more pernicious impact.
    How?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone will be trans by 2050.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason you get less 'far left' violence of this type is that there is no point of reference these days for left-wing violence. During the Cold War you had communists (and various off-shoot 'liberation' movements) running around the world over blowing things up and murdering people, because there was actually-existing communism providing ideological certainty to track towards, and their movements attracted the sort of disaffected flubs who now tend towards either this stuff or Islamism, as both of them - race/nation, religion - are actual things. Islamism is effectively the like-for-like replacement for communist violence, since it utilises the same sort of grievance rhetoric and substance in the West as communism used to, particularly where its converts are concerned.

Tied into that I think is an outlet issue. You don't really need to go shooting things up if you find yourself and your equally obnoxious opinions courted and verified on Twitter owing to your side being utterly culturally dominant. Give this daft cunt ten thousand re-tweets every time he posted 'ugh muslims right?' and he would have been happy.