User Tag List

Page 191 of 206 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,550 of 10299

Thread: The little things in life that fuck you off

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were also many announcements at Picadilly that the 10:37 train going into North Wales was cancelled and that there was a rail replacement bus service. Only thing is the bus service was leaving at 10:01. So fuck all of those people who don't arrive 45 mins early for their train journey I guess.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That all sounds like normal service. It's third-world stuff and a state of affairs I used to think was due to budgetary contrainsts but they've recently replaced the Euston departure boards with these which are a joke in terms of how shit they are so I think it's all just a ploy to accelerate the adoption of the metaverse.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you type 'labour shortage' into twitter search, it's interesting what comes up. Canada, Australia, UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, Greece all come up within the first batch of items, and it's the same story everywhere: labour shortage across all sectors.

I don't think a lot of people have woken up to this or adjusted their vision. The old days of massive amounts of cheap labour everywhere are just not coming back, but we have CEOs and MDs in their 50s who have never known any other world and can't get to grips with it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came into the kitchen this morning to find the window broken from the outside (luckily only the outer half of the double glazing, so no glass indoors). I began investigations into how this could have happened. Intrusion attempt is impossible since, as Surrey Police found out last year, you can't access the balcony from below, no matter how hard you try. I live next to a park so I thought maybe projectile... but it's such an unlikely angle for that, as you'd have to clear an outer wall and then throw a narrow gap across my balcony to strike at the required location.

I went out onto the balcony, creeping across the frozen cobwebs, and found the crimous object - an empty bottle of rosé pro secco, almost in perfect halves.

This might be the most Surrey crime in all of history.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That nosey bitch neighbour checking to make sure you're not dead again.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That door's not surviving the South America trip.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on hold for 56 minutes booking a plumber, the guy says the appointment is booked, then asks me some feedback questions on my tremendous experience, and I come off the phone to a message saying I never answered their call to confirm and it has been cancelled. That's a new one.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have left a 5 star review mate.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People trying to sell you services/get you to pay them for some sort of odd job by just knocking on your door. Does that ever work? I'm just automatically suspicious of them.

Had someone today knock on the door and ask if I want my gutters cleared out. He had someone else with him with a ladder tbf. But no, I don't, if I need my gutters cleaned out, I'll ring someone and get them to come do it, not just pay some dickhead who knocks on my door. A few weeks ago I had someone (of the traveller community) knock and ask if I wanted my windowsills painted because he was doing some of the neighbours' and had paint left over.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly scoping the gaff out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had this happen once in my life and it was a traveller. I suppose it's understandably more common over there.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that recently with a guy wanting to powerwash my drive. He was absolutely adamant that he was going to give me a "free sample" on a section of the drive and I had to almost shout at him that I wasn't interested. Presumably part of their dodgy sales pitch is to leave a clean section so the rest of the area looks ridiculous in comparison.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean...it's probably just people struggling to make ends meet and trying to be entrepreneurial, no?

I probably wouldn't go for it either but don't think there's a need to automatically be suspicious/hostile.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suspicious and hostile is the default British position when it comes to people you don't know.

Something that has been pissing me off of late is the McDonald's app. At first it was all great, but now it seems to have descended into utter, aggravating unusability. Makes you put together a whole order before then telling you parts of the order, which you have been through and specifically selected, are unavailable, and not allowing you to edit such orders, only bin them and start again, without ever telling you which bit it is that was fucking everything up. Ends up being a random 'is it this?' lottery. Why can't they not offer you the unavailable bits [sometimes the case]? Think it was just totally fucked yesterday though as I ended up going in and placing the order on one of their screen things in exactly the same form as had been refused and it worked fine. Not loving it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    I mean...it's probably just people struggling to make ends meet and trying to be entrepreneurial, no?

I probably wouldn't go for it either but don't think there's a need to automatically be suspicious/hostile.
    I probably should have said I'm normally unjustly suspicious. I know it probably is just what you said. I doubt it works very well as a business model though. Like Niko says, I imagine most people have the same reaction.

Also, I'd like to be clear that I'm not hostile. I just say no thanks. I actually asked thr guy who offered to paint the windowsills if he had a phone number I could contact him on and maybe I'd get it done in the new year but he was a bit cagey about that and said something like "oh, i just come round the area once a year and it's just that I have paint left over from the other jobs". The guy today said he was once a year as well, come to think of it. Although I didn't see him last year but he did say "oh, you're new" but I've been in this house since August last year. Fuck knows.
    Last edited by Boydy; 19-12-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole "I've been doing jobs with your nighbours" is a bright red flag that they're conmen.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone coming to you for business is almost certainly a con man. That applies on the phone, via email, or in person.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post

No it’s almost exclusively knackers.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Anyone coming to you for business is almost certainly a con man. That applies on the phone, via email, or in person.
    Linkedin too. Had a recruiter contact me earlier about a job. Needed java expertise, he said. I replied saying I've not done java in a few years so I'm probably a bit rusty with it now. No problem, he says, his client is tech agnostic (why state java expertise in the first message then?). Asks me to send over my CV and he can run through the role in more detail. I don't send my CV but ask him who the client is first. He says he can't reveal that "at this point due to client SLAs" and asks again for my CV and we can discuss it on a call. No, fuck off.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah those people can fuck right off.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recruiters are the scum of the Earth.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of them, yeah, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this as I used to think the same way) some of them are decent. There's a guy who got me an offer when I was looking for my second software job who was incredibly sound because I had two offers (his and a direct application) and I wanted the direct one and he said "I'm not going to put any pressure on you or give you the hard sell or anything, you need to do what's right for you" and every time I've been looking since, I go back to him and see what he's got on. And if I'm ever in the position someday of me being the hiring manager, he'll be the first recruiter I contact if I need one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of fees do they get? In my industry everyone tends to know everyone so we all just get around on word of mouth, hence I'm pretty oblivious to the whole recruiting thing as an immediate rebuff is the furthest I've ever gotten with them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    What sort of fees do they get? In my industry everyone tends to know everyone so we all just get around on word of mouth, hence I'm pretty oblivious to the whole recruiting thing as an immediate rebuff is the furthest I've ever gotten with them.
    Can be around 10-20% of first year salary

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20% of first year salary. They are vermin, that I sadly have to rely on.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once interviewed for a company based in Biggin Hill that were opening a new office in Dartford. I got called back for a second interview, met the boss and got offered the job, BUT the Dartford Office had fallen through so I'd have to commute to Biggin Hill every day. No thanks.

When I got home the recruiter called me and tried everything to get me to take it. From an extra grand a year to "it isn't that far".

Mate, I've driven it. Twice. It takes an hour and 20 minutes at midday plus the Dartford toll. At rush hour I'd be looking at atleast 2 hours each way.

"Well google says 50 minutes!?"
    Where from?
    "I just put Essex"
    Ok, try southend
    "...... ok, but they really liked you and..."
    The answer is no.
    "I think you're going to regret not taking this opportunity"

Fucking parasite.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked by what is deemed acceptable in the UK. Recruitment companies are actually pretty helpful over here, but most jobs go through our government's job section so pretty much everything is in one place.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As previously said by the sensible ones any twat knocking on your door offering services is either on the rob or a 'traveller' running a con. Think about how when you want someone it's hard to get a decent tradesman to come out. There's a reason these cunts are coming to you.

If SvN had let the free sample happen they would have told him he owed them £100 and when he said no sent the big lad up to menace him.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had reasonable experiences with recruiters but some of them are clearly just getting CVs to tick a box.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had one bad experience which led to a three day shambles of a job. Advertised it as a standard office job with training provided. No interview so I'm straight in. I get there and they wanted someone already up to speed so they could cover someone on maternity leave. Nobody was interested in showing me the ropes.

I was still sending the recruiters paperwork to finish my registration when I was given the boot.
    Last edited by Shindig; 20-12-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold a projector on eBay for £311. They messaged saying they changed their mind and wouldn’t pay.

Sold it again today for £300 and payment has not yet been made. Specifically said to pay straight away and I’ll ship it (on my way to work Christmas lunch) in the hope of it arriving in time for Christmas.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you £50.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to be raging whilst eating pigs in blankets?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My phone updated the other day and I don't know if it's the Samsung UI on Android or Whatsapp itself but I've now got grammarly checking my whatsapp messages and highlighting stuff that should be corrected. No one fucking needs that shit, get out of here.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    My phone updated the other day and I don't know if it's the Samsung UI on Android or Whatsapp itself but I've now got grammarly checking my whatsapp messages and highlighting stuff that should be corrected. No one fucking needs that shit, get out of here.
    I mean, after some of the messages you've sent me...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least I type my grammatically incorrect sentences in one message instead of a word per message.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful or he'll post them, cunt has bad form.

Man(c) of the People igor_balis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP to 4 years of absolute wank saved on my tivo box

I mean, the ~400 episodes of composer of the day i'd have never listened to and random episodes of repair shop my mum accidentally linked to the middle room's tivo box can do one, but i'd saved the entire run of ESPN's 30 for 30, and last time I checked they were absent from the usual dodgy places and the only option was a $200 box set and a region free dvd player. Oh well.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99% of the 30 for 30s are on youtube.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why isn't 'paste as plain text' the default for ctrl+v? I can't remember the last time I happily pasted the formatting with whatever it was I was nabbing. Daft.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be easier, I'm pretty much in the habit of making it a CTRL+Shift+V at this point though.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It would be easier, I'm pretty much in the habit of making it a CTRL+Shift+V at this point though.
    I'm a mouse man (add it to the list of titles) and since Windows 11 infected my computer, I've gotta select "MOAR OPTIONS" to find paste as plain text hidden away, rather than clicking the easy little paste icon.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wonder at the process behind changes like that, when something is changed to be objectively worse. Anyway, can you not make a quick mouse macro to do it for you?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ctrl+Shift+V doesn't work in an infuriatingly significant number of apps. Does my nut in.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not yet sure how much of this is my fault and how much is shitty installation, but while trying to change an LED ceiling lightbulb earlier I managed to pull the fitting out of the wire and thus opened / shorted the entire lighting circuit in my flat. No sparks around until Monday, so I'm now shrouded in glorious darkness apart from a lamp that's plugged into the mains.

These modern lights where the works are all inside the fucking ceiling are not the easiest thing to deal with.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work with a bloke when I was around 18 and I still have him on Facebook now. He's now 43 and has 3 kids with his wife.

- The eldest lives in a hospice and is essentially Harvey Price.

- The middle child is in hospital regularly for some kind of kidney treatment. Possibly dialysis, but I can't be sure.

- The youngest has pictures uploaded every other day in hospital for tests, but I've no idea why with this one.

Terrible luck lad, you probably shouldn't keep having ki... what's that lad? She's pregnant again? Oh right. Congratulations?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes. Even healthy kids are a fucking burden so I can't even imagine how miserable he is.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poster child for NHS privatisation.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The images

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wallet is on its last legs. Every time i take it out my pocket, Im now looking for a new one. No need for a coin holders. Slim. Sleek. Bright colored. 5+ card holders. Now, we looking.