User Tag List

View Poll Results: Look, what if we just had one big football thread?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • MOAR. FREDS.

0 0%
  • One thread, Welby? One? That's insane.

3 50.00%
  • I insist on monthly threads for reasons I can't really articulate.

3 50.00%
  • Would probably be fine?

0 0%
  • Turtle

0 0%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: January Football: This Time It's 2024ier

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love a good glancing header. Probably in my top five favourite types of goal. Undisputed number one is the Inzaghi poke finish that barely rolls over the line (a dying breed), but a glancing header and a low thump into the bottom corner will do me nicely.

Hate a top corner curler. Death to Insigne.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's just the way we play, mate"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very strange to see a home side just sort of standing there waiting to be beat.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positives: both forwards have scored and at least Hojlund seems able to find Rashford even if the latter can't be arsed passing it the other way, Martinez looked good and already offers more on the ball (although Evans was good), Garnacho doesn't give up even when he's having a hard match.

Negatives: outplayed for the majority of the game by spurs who are missing loads, made Porro look like Cafu, Eriksen is absolutely knackered, Rashford is still a cunt.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I get to claim my e-victory on Rashford yet? I need to before he goes on a streak again.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want it you can have it champ.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get onto the engravers and add it to the trophy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to us selling him to PSG in the summer.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's if Potter wants to sell him.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brennan Johnson is somehow escaping criticism, but he is absolutely terrible. Ł50 million for a Geezer that won't shoot and manages to pick the wrong pass every time the ball is at his feet. Forest must have been laughing their arses off when they cashed that cheque.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t have Sadio Mane down as a nonce, yet here we are.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    Positives: both forwards have scored and at least Hojlund seems able to find Rashford even if the latter can't be arsed passing it the other way, Martinez looked good and already offers more on the ball (although Evans was good), Garnacho doesn't give up even when he's having a hard match.

Negatives: outplayed for the majority of the game by spurs who are missing loads, made Porro look like Cafu, Eriksen is absolutely knackered, Rashford is still a cunt.
    I swear we concede a goal like today every time he plays and he is always the man 5 yards behind the runner.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everton and Nottingham Forest are apparently to be told tomorrow they're in breach of FFP spending rules.

Everton seethe will kick up another notch.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was FFP designed to stop clubs from ceasing to exist ala Bury, or to create a closed shop for the big boys?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latter under the guise of the former, well, for FFP anyway. Dunno about the profit and sustainability stuff so much.

Completely incompetent administration allowing the various types of ownership folk in the real problem. Stable door and all that.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moreso the latter.

See how Newcastle are struggling with FFP a little hampering their plans to reinforce.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I swear we concede a goal like today every time he plays and he is always the man 5 yards behind the runner.
    That was always the case though, but he was accommodated for being so good going the other way. Ten Hag needs to own the fact he keeps playing Eriksen out of position but I think (heart attack or not) the game has changed to the point he doesn’t fit in anywhere anymore.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warrington drew 2-2 this weekend. They were 2-0 down until Andre Wisdom (yes that one) dribbled through the entire opposition and belted one home, and then the goalkeeper scored his second of the season with a header from a corner in the 97th minute.

Hopefully next Saturday against Southport is exciting, when I’m actually there.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Everton get another points deduction.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everton FC and Nottingham Forest FC have each confirmed to the Premier League that they are in breach of the League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR). This is as a result of sustaining losses above the permitted thresholds for the assessment period ending Season 2022/23.

In accordance with Premier League Rules, both cases have now been referred to the chair of the Judicial Panel, who will appoint separate Commissions to determine the appropriate sanction.

Commissions are independent of the Premier League and member clubs. The proceedings are heard in private with the Commissions’ final decisions made public on the Premier League’s website. The League will make no further comment until that time.
    If they've confirmed it themselves, what's the issue? Are they saying that the rules are wrong and they should be able to spend what they like? Might be true but not exactly a great defence.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a rolling cycle so some of the years are the same as the last sanction, but surely that's in the rules as well.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 15-01-2024 at 04:50 PM.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginning of the end for the PL.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    If they've confirmed it themselves, what's the issue? Are they saying that the rules are wrong and they should be able to spend what they like? Might be true but not exactly a great defence.

And yes, I'm aware that it's a rolling cycle so some of the years are the same as the last sanction, but surely that's in the rules as well.
    I guess it's the sanction that is up for decision/debate, rather than the breach.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc View Post
    Beginning of the end for the PL.
    If you're only punishing the dross and letting the big clubs off then that's probably going to end up with the league they exactly want.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll join Waff in the sniper tower for Poch if it means we can get the great man back.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67993371

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says a date has been set for the hearing into Manchester City's alleged breaches of financial rules.

But, speaking in front of MPs, Masters said he could not reveal the date.

"But the volume and character of the charges laid before Manchester City, which I obviously cannot talk about at all, are being heard in a completely different environment.

"There is a date set for that proceeding. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when that is but it is progressing."
    Why? Ongoing process?

It's making a mockery of the whole system. They're either going to have to completely exonerate them or completely nuke them for this 'process' to have any credibility whatsoever afterwards, and I can guess which it will be.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67993371

Why? Ongoing process?

It's making a mockery of the whole system. They're either going to have to completely exonerate them or completely nuke them for this 'process' to have any credibility whatsoever afterwards, and I can guess which it will be.
    Which different environment are they being heard in and why? What's the TLDR of how this has progressed from start to fin..er, where we are now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably something along the lines of Everton/Forest here:

Toggle Spoiler

City here:

Toggle Spoiler

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forest and Everton's were investigated by an independent party. Assuming City's went the same route, The Premier League(tm) might not be privy to the process.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised to see that Everton's revenue is only Ł181m per annum, which makes it arguable as to whether they could be even be described as a large business and paints a picture as to why they're operating out of the smaller room.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that was one of the most abiding things I took away from that Why England Lose book, or maybe another football finance book ages ago. They described some company you've never heard of in the FTSE 250 or something, what it did, which was really dull, where it was based, which was super mundane like a business park in Slough, then went on to explain that, as a business it was 10 times the size of Manchester United or something mad. This is probably less the case now, but football as 'big business' is a bit of a myth.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    I think that was one of the most abiding things I took away from that Why England Lose book, or maybe another football finance book ages ago. They described some company you've never heard of in the FTSE 250 or something, what it did, which was really dull, where it was based, which was super mundane like a business park in Slough, then went on to explain that, as a business it was 10 times the size of Manchester United or something mad. This is probably less the case now, but football as 'big business' is a bit of a myth.
    The average Tesco Express makes more revenue than a Prem club, or something like that

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post

I was surprised to see that Everton's revenue is only Ł181m per annum, which makes it arguable as to whether they could be even be described as a large business and paints a picture as to why they're operating out of the smaller room.
    The problem for most in the EPL is that your big boys have already got their foothold in the foreign markets. Asia especially, you'll do well to oust the presence that United and Liverpool have there.
    I've no idea what the US landscape is, but I imagine even being an Everton, it's tough to stand out.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    The average Tesco Express makes more revenue than a Prem club, or something like that
    It wouldn’t be anywhere near, but I agree with the sentiment.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear Jonathan Pearce waxing lyrical about Guernsey tax exile Stephen Lansdown.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pearce should have stuck to Robot Wars, he's an awful football commentator these days.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably the City charges are far more numerous, complex and lawyered up than the Everton and Forest ones. However, if the PL had any kind of shrewd operators within (as opposed to being full of ex IMG and Adidas marketing execs as I imagine they are) then they would have foreseen the problems that would be caused by going in at this time in such a matter-of-fact way. As ever in sport, too many confident people involved and too little thought.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about time Mourinho just went on a nice holiday to wait until he can retire into the Portugal job.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to take over England after waistcoat takes the golden generation out in the group stage.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Pearce should have stuck to Robot Wars, he's an awful football commentator these days.
    I just turned on the BC - West Ham game and the first thing I hear is him being a pearl clutching twat as per.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state of the refereeing in that Cup game.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the award for most transparent attempt to boost a career goes too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68001449

Had to flee the country indeed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How she gets any airtime after her transfer analysis of the Rice move is criminal, box ticking or not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out Henderson hasn't earned a penny for his Saudi stint. He deferred all his wages because Waistcoat kept calling him up for England, meaning he would have spent enough time back in the country to get stung for loads of tax.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think that's only sort of true, he was keeping/using days for 'visiting family' as well, which struck me as a monumentally stupid thing to be doing but whatever.

Assuming Liverpool have been paid they appear to be just about the only party to have benefited from the whole shitshow.

Oh, and agents, natch.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume Henderson will stay get paid what he is owed by the club - they won't just not pay it, otherwise, they'll end up with a transfer ban or some such.

I think he can do what he wants, and join whatever club he wants, but this whole situation and potential tax avoidance is not a good look.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe his club have agreed to release him if he agrees to leave the money they owe him.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just deferred because he hasn't been out of the country long enough to not be taxed on it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Yev Sports News understands it his contract has been ripped up on the proviso anything he will/would earn will go back to the Saudi club if Ajax qualify for the Champions League. A sort of deal add on if you will that's being paid by the player rather than the club.