User Tag List

Page 61 of 581 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,050 of 29008

Thread: Coronavirus Death Thread

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, if anyone cares, this week's been challenging.

Haven't left the house for 4 days now, which I'm cool with so far and provisions are holding up on the food and toilet roll front, but I am running out of vape juice. There's a shop 3 miles away from me with a supermarket next to it so I may venture out at some point over the next week to get some and also re-stock the essentials (I'm trying to time this just before things go into first phase meltdown as I'd really rather not be out then, but ultimately that's probably futile as I will be out during one of them). If I want to play Russian Roulette with my lungs there's a co-op very close to me that I could just buy some fags and food from, but I'd rather not be potentially cocking the barrel and putting the gun to my head by smoking.

Trying to keep a business operational and move staff to work from safe(r) locations from my kitchen table has been quite tough. Long days, with a huge number of calls, Teams meetings, Skype calls and an inbox that's growing faster than the virus itself and every time I beat it down the fucker just comes back again. Due to the position I hold I want to show leadership at all times and stay in contact with my team as much as they need, which has actually been fine so far and I'd put this week on a level of "not as bad as other weeks I've had during my career". But, and it's a huge but, it's all been done against the backdrop of knowing full well that where we are now is a piece of piss compared to what's coming.

I can't quite work out what this will look like, but there'll come a time when we all as a society realise we're on Italy's trajectory and that's going to hit hard. When it does we'll still be climbing that peak, with a fuck load more to traverse, but the further up it we go the more people are going to be out of action and the harder it will be for those left to cope.

People in my team are going to get sick, two of them are in the risk group, one of which is older and in the risk group. I don't know the family circumstances of all of the team (as we're split between two offices), but one of them has an 84 year old mother with early stage dementia in a care home. So if they don't get sick, their loved ones will. I'm fully expecting to have to have a conversation with someone who has lost a loved one that they couldn't say goodbye to and will not be able to hold a funeral for. I'm not sure how I'll deal with that, let alone how they will. As people start to drop off from being able to work, essential functions will no longer be able to be carried out - I've already adopted the mantra of if it doesn't keep our people safe or keep the business going then we shouldn't be doing it.

We'll also start to lose branches, and customers will not be able to pay us when the work dries up (everyone is over trading like a fucker at the moment to get as much work as they can done which is only going to end one way), so the pressures will ramp up hugely. It'll become harder to get emotional support from friends when they start experiencing the loss of loved ones and I won't be able to support them properly either. Then there's the possibility I might lose someone I care about myself. I won't be able to see them or say goodbye to them, but all of the above will need to carry on as I'll be letting down people in the business who're a lot less fortunate than me if it doesn't.

If we get through this without any of the above happening to me or people I care about then I'll consider myself unbelievably lucky, I already am in many ways. I genuinely don't know how those on the front line of the NHS are going cope and each and every one of them should get some form of formal recognition when this is over.

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is that time seems to be losing meaning. Events have moved so quickly and I've been rushed off my arse, so the week should have flown by, and actually it has in some respects, but then I stop to think and last Friday seems like a lifetime ago. With February feeling like a distant, but simpler memory already. I don't understand how that works yet, I guess I'll come to.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernanke View Post
    At the same time, there are a lot less 85-year old nonnas in Zimbabwe.
    Only because no one there lives that long. It'll take down whatever the equivalent age is instead.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos for that way of thinking, as a boss/manager/whatever you are. I'm on the receiving end of the precise opposite approach and to be honest that's why I'm not sleeping now and probably won't be for a bit.

We're all going to find out who we really are in this period.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'York-shire! York-shire! York-shire!'

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev, if you've literally not left the house at all I [commend your mental fortitude and] suggest you pencil in a walk at least every other day, you fucking lunatic.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the Welsh playing at?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What are the Welsh playing at?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...s-v-italy-live

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also had a fucking Stereophonics concert in Cardiff the other night.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Yev. It's been a bit of a logistical nightmare this week trying to get my India team online and generally trying to connect all of us over a medium that's bank compliant (spoiler: we didn't). Me and the wife have definitely been out too much either the gym or the shops but generally avoided too much contact. Not been in a large group for a while and we've both been working from home for the week.

More worried about my parents and grandma who are still going to shop despite not needing to and generally not changing anything in lifestyle. It's fucking with my mind how they're going to head straight first into disaster.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder Taz is bristling if you think he's Indian.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, the gym, where people don't sweat all over everything.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should see the twat's selfies with the wife this week, I'd post them up if I wasn't a dick but honestly, just

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    It's not transmitted via sweat afawk in all fairness. Which must be why Boris didn't order the whorehouses to shut, thankfully.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough focus has been placed on the fact that this cunt of a virus appears to live on surfaces for hours, if not days. As a result, people who've been distancing while they're out think they're fine but are still catching and spreading it from touching shit.

As far as I understand it, I could stay inside for the next two years and still catch the fucker from opening my post.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More talk but on the financial impact, I'll be refunding my £5K rail season ticket in the morning and absolutely pulling up the drawbridge to any businesses that would ordinarily have got my money (e.g. gym). I'm going to be coming out of this looking like Jeff Bezos with hair from a short-term April (+ May, June, July....) overheads perspective. Now if I wasn't as selfish and actually continued to fund them (maybe even gone as far as buying gift cards to my regular haunts) and I was the model for the rest of society, we could ride this out real smoothly. Maybe.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a carryout pizza. I have to admit I gave it a second thought when I saw the lad kneading that dough with his bare hands, but then I said fuck it and just beasted the darn thing. It was excellent as usual, but now my stomach is aching. RIP me.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is suggesting that we keep paying the cleaning lady even if she decides not to come.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gone and got a caucasian wife, Pepe? Fuck sake, and the first mention I saw upon logging in was you sounding the tick ting alert. Wait, is she tick? You found the holy grail fam?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USA

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the 80% of workers' wages thing today, are businesses that aren't vital meant to shut for the foreseeable or what? Or is it just there for when they need it and people should carry on going to work?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's supposed to let firms keep people on that they would otherwise get rid of but I hope it encourages others to send people home as well.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You gone and got a caucasian wife, Pepe?
    That I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wait, is she tick? You found the holy grail fam?
    I wish mate, I wish.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Least you wont die alone mate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

Was planning to go kick a ball with a mate tomorrow (adhereing to the 6ft distancing rules at all times) but this cunt has gone and made me think again. Fuck off.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italy keep saying this too, that once you’re bad enough to need a ventilator, you’re pretty fucked, and people just aren’t listening.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being on a ventilator sounds horrible. Constant feel of drowning.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vietnam to quarantine ALL arrivals from midnight last night. Makes sense considering everything was under control until returning Viets and pesky foreigners kept bringing it back into the country.

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    The longer we're indoors the more noticeable the environmental impacts will be.

Apparently you can already now see fish in the canals in Venice. Logical extension is that animals etc. will start coming back into urban areas. Good luck with that one Florida.
    People will be far less tolerant of humouring trivial little nonsense like climate change when we’re all trying to get back our feet.
    Last edited by Giggles; 21-03-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough focus has been placed on the fact that this cunt of a virus appears to live on surfaces for hours, if not days. As a result, people who've been distancing while they're out think they're fine but are still catching and spreading it from touching shit.

As far as I understand it, I could stay inside for the next two years and still catch the fucker from opening my post.
    You need to calm down just a little bit. For your own sake.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work stank yesterday the mood of staff and the kids was so low despite everyone’s best efforts. Having to explain what was happening and why most where staying home to stay safe while also telling others they were still coming in wasn’t fun.

Out of just over 400 kids, we had 320 apply to be in and accepted 120. All staff are in Monday but they’re going to try rotate who is in so people get time off, we’re in over Easter too.

Got an ASDA shop set to arrive today, think half of it won’t come lol

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running out of vape juice. There's a shop 3 miles away from me with a supermarket next to it so I may venture out at some point over the next week.

Just to give you a heads up: https://ukvapekings.com/ - I've used them a lot, next working day delivery, better juice and cheaper.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol at White Van Bam Vaping.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting stuff in here.

Now Italy's experience suggests a lot less people have to be dying of other things, or a lot more people who are dying of/with those things also have this virus to smooth that daily xD curve (I would assume with about the same population they'd be looking at the same number of daily deaths as the UK in normal times - about one every minute) - so there has to be some doubt this fits within natural wastage but there is 'some overlap'. Also interesting, although not sure it was from that article, was the factoid that a fair number of the UK deaths are from people who haven't received any intensive/critical care because it has simply been judged a waste of time (as is often the case when the old and infirm get more mundane respiratory conditions).

Also repping for the flu again as it seems it has to reach the (punitive) German death threshold to get on the board.

When was the last league table update?
    Last edited by niko_cee; 21-03-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    People will be far less tolerant of humouring trivial little nonsense like climate change when we’re all trying to get back our feet.
    I think this is a good precursor of the way society will have to change for climate change. If you still think it's trivial then I'm not sure what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    I've not been licking the equipment to be fair.

Anyway, my mates made the paper:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...idApp_WhatsApp

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Work stank yesterday the mood of staff and the kids was so low despite everyone’s best efforts. Having to explain what was happening and why most where staying home to stay safe while also telling others they were still coming in wasn’t fun.

Out of just over 400 kids, we had 320 apply to be in and accepted 120. All staff are in Monday but they’re going to try rotate who is in so people get time off, we’re in over Easter too.

Got an ASDA shop set to arrive today, think half of it won’t come lol
    Being in Year 6, our atmosphere was bizarre. We only had 18 out of 30 in, and we're expecting a couple from my class in next week. So basically yesterday may have been their last day of primary school. We treated it like the last day with shirts being signed and we spent the day doing art and ict, and all the parents got the kids together and took photos just in case. I reiterated that I expect to see them again in a month or maybe three months, but in all honesty who knows? Our trip last week got cancelled, our residential in June looks highly unlikely, plus activity week, leavers mass and leavers play all thrown into huge doubt for them.

That's not to mention SATs. There's a mixture of (understandable) frustration and relief about the decision to cancel SATs; we'd prepared so hard for it and been under so much pressure, and suddenly they're not even happening.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    'York-shire! York-shire! York-shire!'
    Most of the infections are Yorkshire downwards as well. Sheffield is fucked.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    I think this is a good precursor of the way society will have to change for climate change. If you still think it's trivial then I'm not sure what to say.
    It’s just a hobby for the rich and bored to posture about on Instagram and Twitter. They’ll see massive push back when people have real worries on their hands.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s just a hobby for the rich and bored to posture about on Instagram and Twitter. They’ll see massive push back when people have real worries on their hands.
    It’s good to see that my early prediction about this virus wasn’t the most incorrect opinion in this thread

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, the reduction in production probably gives companies pushing for 'carbon neutral' more room to fiddle.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could just look at the science instead.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are we all doing this weekend?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much.

In the park outside my window there are about 4 dads and all their kids having a semi-organised kickabout (organised enough that they brought cones). Are they in Team Moron? I reckon they are.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably go for a run in a bit then read. It's a relatively nice day today so I'm sure the park is going to be rammed.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dads have probably already had it.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could just look at the science instead.
    The science can be absolutely anything someone wants it to be.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going for a walk in the woods for a bit. It's gonna be wild.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lololololol.

Once I've tweaked my fantasy team, I'm gonna head out and try get some hayfever medicine as I've lost my sense of smell and taste for over 2 weeks now after a little bout of illness (fever but no cough). Definitely a repsiratory infection so I reckon it's a cointoss as to whether it was Covid or not.

https://www.fifthsense.org.uk/covid-...ical-director/

https://mobile.twitter.com/dr_tam_el...90846394667008

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The science can be absolutely anything someone wants it to be.
    Well except it's not.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well except it's not.
    It’s nothing more than tax generation. The new catch-all for revenue intake.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, it's not. You know why ice melts, mate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love you Giggs but you can be a right fanny at times