Page 76 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 4242

Thread: The Travel Thread

ram it up your shitpipe Giggles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I mean regular person all inclusive. Not doctor money to the Maldives type.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    It’s a scam because a lot of places are just doing x amount of drinks and x amount of food, so it’s really not all inclusive. I was asking if there are any real all inclusive places left.
    Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dassia) is properly all inclusive as well.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 24-10-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dacia) is properly all inclusive as well.
    Will it actually be though or have you signed something in a small print to say it’s basically a more expensive holiday. The whole world is a fucking scam these days.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I mean regular person all inclusive. Not doctor money to the Maldives type.
    I imagine I earn less than you think I do to be honest.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it actually be though or have you signed something in a small print to say it’s basically a more expensive holiday. The whole world is a fucking scam these days.
    It was booked by her parents but it seems to be genuinely all inclusive. I think it is pretty mad expensive though.

The Maldives was our honeymoon, it's not something we can afford to do willy-nilly.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Ah ok I get you. Well then I can confirm there are at least some places left. I think the one we are going to in Greece with the wife's family next year (Ikos Dassia) is properly all inclusive as well.
    Ikos is amazing, it really is completely all inclusive. The first time we went we stayed in one of the deluxe suites and they were bringing us bottles of Moet most days. We are going back again in April.

I think we we had a private dinner on the beach, couples massages and water sports all included. Probably more stuff but I spent the whole two weeks hammered.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spain knocked all inclusive on the head this year limiting it to 4 drinks. I'd be absolutely fuming if I paid extra for that shit.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spain, as in was it some sort of legislation nationwide or just one did it and the rest followed suit?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know it’s a blanket avoid then. You can be guaranteed it’s still being sold and charged for.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of those places were always a blanket avoid.

An all inclusive in Ibiza must be hell.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't some of Ibiza meant to be really nice?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mahow is basing his opinion from his multiple rewatches of Kevin & Perry Go Large.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibiza is awesome. Both as a 18 year-old pill head and as a family destination. For a tiny island it's got everything.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of this all-inclusive change. Just checked and thankfully Lanzarote (and the canaries in general) aren’t included
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only the Balearics. Eyeball Paul is probably mayor by now and wanting to keep the riff-raff out.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ban on all-inclusives in the Canary Islands would not be possible as from what I hear that's their sole purpose.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a scam because a lot of places are just doing X (normally low single digits) amount of drinks and limited food, so it’s really not all inclusive. Plus more restrictions on where you had your ‘all inclusive’ and what you could actually have. I was asking if there are any real all inclusive places left.
    Ours was all inclusive in Turkey. No limits on anything. Obviously the alcohol was all local and the Efes came in 300ml servings, but you could have as much as you liked.

The food was fine if unspectacular.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    Was it someone on here who went all inclusive and found out that meant 4 beers a day at their chosen destination?
    Nah, unlimited. They even have a pour your own beer pump to save asking the person behind the bar. The hotel have part of the beach too, and a bar there that is part of the all inclusive thing.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The drinks are all brand names too. Unless they run out. The evening bar has just ran out of kahlua are kept apologising for having to use an off brand version.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norway - we’ve bedn lucky with the weather for the most part. Yes, it is chilly (0-5C most days) and yes, it’s not light until 8.30/9 and dark by 6ish at the moment but the landscape is magnificent. I’m on a work trip but we’ve headed from Tromso south to Trondheim by ship, and then roadtripped south and west to Bergen for a night train to Oslo. Flying back tonight. Definitely vvv pricy (we’re talking £10-£15 for drinks) but thsnkfully I’ve not been paying. But with a few economies, it can be done cheaply enough - and it’s worth it to see the country. The fjords are incredible.

Re Madeira for those that were talking about it - very easy to get to and get around if you hire a car. And unlike Notway, super cheap for the most-part (cheaper than mainland Portugal so main courses £10-£20).

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right lads, I've got a few days in London to occupy myself with. What touristy shit is worth doing if I haven't done it before / since about 25 years ago?

Last time I was down I made a point of doing a couple of the museums (Natural History and British) and just a lot of planning any walking around notable landmarks and things to look at.

What else should I be trying to see at least the once while I have the chance? Is the London Eye any good / entirely weather dependent? Imperial War Museum? Aside from the parks which I will wander about if it's not pissing down those are the obvious things I spotted a walk / short tube jaunt from where I'm staying.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I'll also be sure to go and have a look at Stamford Bridge. Never been there and you can't pass up the chance to have a gawk at the hallowed grounds where Frode Grodas once played

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Right lads, I've got a few days in London to occupy myself with. What touristy shit is worth doing if I haven't done it before / since about 25 years ago?

Last time I was down I made a point of doing a couple of the museums (Natural History and British) and just a lot of planning any walking around notable landmarks and things to look at.

What else should I be trying to see at least the once while I have the chance? Is the London Eye any good / entirely weather dependent? Imperial War Museum? Aside from the parks which I will wander about if it's not pissing down those are the obvious things I spotted a walk / short tube jaunt from where I'm staying.
    Transport Museum is pretty good (or was when I went years ago). The major museums are what they are - mostly great, so just pick whichever you fancy. There's some galleries like the Tate/National/V&A etc. too. Greenwich/Southwark is not a bad area for a wander. I also love Clerkenwell/Old St/Angel/Shoreditch - loads of cool bars and restaurants but not much in the way of sights. Bermondsey Beer Mile would likely be up your street.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk the Regents Canal.

It's probably been gentrified to fuck by now, but Islington going east if you want grit [you can end up having an omelette Arnold Bennett in The Grapes in Limehouse] or head west for Camden and then the otherworldly experience of Regents Park and then into Little Venice.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Bermondsey Beer Mile would likely be up your street.
    Done it before and doing it again Saturday because I'm very predictable.

Hadn't considered art galleries. Never done one before because it's not my thing but I'll maybe have a look and see if there's one near anywhere I'm already planning to go and see if I hate it / can rule out going to one ever again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regents Canal is a good shout. Start at Kings X and walk round to Camden market and then stroll up Primrose Hill and loop back to Regents Park.

Great food pubs - Canton Arms (Stockwell), Anchor and Hope (Waterloo), both part of the same group.

Good pubs - The Harp (Charing Cross), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town). Ii went to the Spread Eagle in Wandsworth recently which was quite cool - near Battersea Power Station too which is worth a look now it’s been regenerated.

Transport Museum is a good shout, Design Museum is great too. Worth a mooch round the Barbican as well. A matinee at the Globe is great and yard tickets are only a fiver (investment of three to four hours though). Greenwich Observatory too.

Sky bar in the Walkie Talkie building is supposed to be great and it’s free to enter, I think.

Borough Market always a good shout, and there are obviously absolutely loads more foodie markets.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    National Gallery is very much worth it even if you're not massive on art. National Maritime Museum is a belter as well though that's slightly more out the way in Greenwich.

London Eye, and I say this as someone whose job it once was to do undercover reviews of the staff on the London Eye, is alright if you like looking down at cities from a height. Otherwise, I dunno.
    Last edited by Jimmy Floyd; 26-10-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tate is absolute wank.

Edit: by which I mean the Tate Modern; Tate Britain might be good.
    Last edited by randomlegend; 26-10-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All art galleries are shite and I am convinced that everyone knows that this is true, some people just pretend otherwise.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done it before and doing it again Saturday because I'm very predictable.
    My mate made this website: https://thehoppypoet.com/

Not sure how maintained it is.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From someone that lives in East London and drinks a lot of craft beer, this us a very good website and includes everything.

Can your mate extend to the rest of London please?

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    From someone that lives in East London and drinks a lot of craft beer, this us a very good website and includes everything.

Can your mate extend to the rest of London please?
    “Hahaha it took me months of good out... Boozing... I could give it a go haha.

It's a tough one as I need to code and integrate all the images and maps. Need to get this one 100% first. Need to add few more places that opened recently. “

He then plugged his Instagram.
    Last edited by Baz; 26-10-2022 at 10:32 AM.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha indeed.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    London Eye, and I say this as someone whose job it once was to do undercover reviews of the staff on the London Eye, is alright if you like looking down at cities from a height. Otherwise, I dunno.
    Hmm, maybe not for thirty quid then. Not sure what else I'd have been expecting right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    All art galleries are shite and I am convinced that everyone knows that this is true, some people just pretend otherwise.
    I think I know it in my heart to be true but if there's one that's not out of the way of something else I decided to do I may as well go and have a gander for free entry.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from Spikey's philistinism, the National Gallery has such a great and accessible collection that if you're ever going to enjoy art it will start there. You've got at least 30 proper Champions League paintings in there. The other galleries are more your lunchtime kickoff Championship affairs.

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Bottle shops”

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know it in my heart to be true but if there's one that's not out of the way of something else I decided to do I may as well go and have a gander for free entry.
    That's kind of my approach. It's a way to kill time rather than broadening my cultural horizons. Hell, last time my horizons shrank. I realised I genuinely hate pop art.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been denied check in on my flight to Greece today because my passport expires in 85 days. I think I knew about the three month thing somewhere in the back of my mind but didn't connect the dots. For fucks sake.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s the point of an expiry date if you can’t use it when you have over 2 months left.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    Just been denied check in on my flight to Greece today because my passport expires in 85 days. I think I knew about the three month thing somewhere in the back of my mind but didn't connect the dots. For fucks sake.
    Can you apply for an emergency travel document?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    Can you apply for an emergency travel document?
    Nah no chance. Maybe if I'd bothered checking in before I was on the bus to the airport. £200 express passport into £300 of alternate flights is the equation. Shocker.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that just a case of computer says no, and an old school check in at the desk will get you on?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I tried to check in on my phone it told me to go to the desk. I had the supervisor come down and was told the airline cops a hefty (EU) fine if you get turned away at passport control at your destination.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underperforming your xTravel there lad.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why were you flying to Greece? Just out of interest, trying to weigh up how big of a cock up this is.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    What’s the point of an expiry date if you can’t use it when you have over 2 months left.
    Yeah, those within X time of expiry rules are pure bullshit. What are they protecting against? If you have return travel booked whilst the thing is still valid it makes zero sense [other than in a bureaucratic nightmare sort of way]. EU you say? Yes, yes, I'm sure everyone has them.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Why were you flying to Greece? Just out of interest, trying to weigh up how big of a cock up this is.
    Seeing family. Quite rare we have the four of us in the same place at the same time, so quite a big cock up.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    Don't his parents live there?