User Tag List

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 2418

Thread: Football Manager 23

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evangelos Aslanidis anagrams to 'Lasagna Lives Onside'. Think this is clear proof you need to buy an Italian striker.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not guaranteed by any means, you shouldn't have too much of a trouble getting to at least the playoff round to be honest, since you're in the champions path, so you'll be avoiding the Benficas and Monacos of the world, probably looking at something like a Scandinavian or Balkan opponent.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second round of the Libertadores, a week before this tie River activated the release clause on my first choice keeper so I had some mug in goal. I almost just walked away from the laptop during the second half of the second leg as they had chance after chance but somehow we clung on, and the mug keeper saved from one of their lads to decide the shootout, in your face Argies.

My first Libertadores QF is against Corinthians, proper wave the white flag job. They just spanked Boca, who spanked us in the group stage. It's so refreshing not being in Europe but 6 Brazilian teams in the last 8 again, can't see how you overcome their strength.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borbas.
    I'm a twit

mischamischaracterisation Dquincy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gillingham : End of Season Update - Season 2083/84

Season started well with a convincing win over Man Utd in the charity shield.

We managed to pip Arsenal to the league. Whilst it went down to the last game of the season, my GD was far superior so the last game was a dead rubber.

FA Cup campaign. Beat one of the Manchester teams on the way to the final. Could i beat the other in the final?

Yes i could. Rafa turning up on the day.

Champions League campaign, see earlier posts.

So please Atalanta did not win it twice on the trot. Hope i get them again next year. The bastards.

League Cup - reserve team outing which failed.

End of season squad and stats.

My star striker, who wasn't that great to be honest.

My future star striker, if only for the name.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost immediately after my last update my board dropped this on me:

The ticketing issue was bad so no wonder the board are trying to correct it. Unfortunately it does mean the club have essentially paid for a stadium that vanished and now we're about to pay for a new one. I'm in September now and they've yet to come back with anything concrete in terms of numbers, though I'd imagine somewhere around 30k seats with room for expansion will be coming.

The board also dropped our expectations and vision for the season on us and they've changed just a little from last season...

Still we moved on and used our transfer kitty as well as we could.

I'll save the individual posts as they're all real players bar the bottom one. There were so many points where I'd have a player that would really improve us, only for his agent to leak it and bigger money to come in.
    The other issue, that will come back a little later down the line is release clauses. Every agent demanded one. I even tried to get an expiry date on them but all bar Netos' agent told me to stick that.

Vustovs clause is £9m, Neto is £9.75m. Gatti £5.75m. That's great money when they do eventually get triggered but, Vustov and Neto especially could have 10+ years here if their potential is accurate. Angel Gomes comes in as cover on both wings and has a £4m optional future fee.

The last guy is a 15 year old we stole. They do get 30% of his next transfer fee, but as cheap as he was we're still likely to make an easy profit.

He has great physicals for 15 years old and good technique, with a few other key mentals in good places, but he really needs help technically. Still he's unlikely to see game time for 3+ years and he was cheap as chips.

He joins the only two really decent lads we got from our youth intake:

We took our merry band of men off to face our CL Third Qualifying Round opponents, CFR Cluj. We were at home first and after a nice short pre season, we ran straight into an FM'ing. 2-0 at home. Absolutely rinsed on the counter.
    However despite a few scares we rallied in Romania and took the tie to extra time. There Zuber popped up in the 104th minute to strike us into the Play Off Round.

On the same day we found out it would be Anderlecht, we got this horrible news:

He was great last year and now leaves us with a player to replace. But no time for that we went off to Belgium for the first leg. The first half passed without highlight, but at HT I saw they moved Jan Vertonghen to LB. So I put my guy with loads of pace there and 15 mins later he'd hacked Garcia down for a straight red card. From there we peppered their goal and at the death stole a goal to take home.

Back at our place, the job looked simple. We were 1-0 up at HT and they'd done nothing. We even added a second on the night on the 59th minute. However we found out we had just poked the bear. They went all out from then and we looked lost. They squared it up on the night despite us scoring again and blazed a golden chance in injury time wide.

I've immediately asked for upgrades to anything I can while we have money in the bank, as I reckon when the stadium planning hits, that money will vanish. Our reward for making the group stage is a group of just PSG, Benfica and Red Star. No biggie. Each win is over £2m in prize money, which is massive for us, so we need to try our best at home and away to Red Star.

In Greek European news, Olympiakos fucked their qualifier against Shakhtar and so drop into the Europa League. That will be Greeces only involvement as the other 3 clubs in Europe have all crashed out of the qualifying stages.
    Greece however is up to 11th in the coefficient table and as such the winner of the league this year will go straight to the final champions play off. Cracking the top 10 is where the automatic group stage appearances come in. In truth, I think we'll be stuck qualifying like this for a few years yet.

I suppose I better go find a midfielder to loan for the year then.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angel Gomes

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're honestly probably better off if the other teams drop to the lowest possible competition (as long as they are in one), so they have a higher chance of progressing.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they all did that and then still fucked it up. All lost in the Conference League qualifiers.

Board also rejected all requests bar training facilities, so at least there's that.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FC Groningen 2023/23 Season Review

I've worked my way to the end of my first half-season, having joined the club just after Xmas with the team sitting in 14th place. My task was to avoid relegation, and we started slowly, struggling to score goals or put wins together, but we were also extremely hard to beat, and that helped us keep the points total ticking over until we got things going.

In the end, we were never in danger of getting relegated, and considering we only lost one game to a team that was Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord, it was inevitable we'd start picking the rest of the middle tier off, and we worked our way up the table to finish 8th.

I didn't realise that would mean that we ended up in the European places playoff, although I wasn't even aware that existed, but we got revenge on Go Ahead Eagles in the first round, which set up a final against FC Twente.
    Toggle Spoiler

We flopped in the cup, getting smashed by PSV a few games in to my tenure, after struggling with a lower division side, but it was definitely a successful season.

The Squad

When I arrived we had no transfer budget & were £6k over our wage budget, so I pretty much had to work with what was there. After a bit of playing around I managed to get to a pretty settled side, and we had a few players who stood out.

Ricardo Pepi, on loan from Augsburg who very kindly let us have him for no wages & no loan fee, came in to the side after a few games & ended up being our primary source for goals, finishing the year as the third top scorer in the Eredivisie. Sadly it seems he'll be going back to Germany next year, but we do have a few options to replace him, which I'll get to shortly.

Tomas Suslov is probably our most talented player, and he played pretty well coming in off the right wing with some flashes of what he could develop in to. We have plenty of options out wide, with Paulos Abraham usually starting on the left, and Florian Kruger & Cyril Ngonge able to cover up front or out wide.

We have a few other young players I'll look to build the team around, with Luciano Valente impressing in midfield & he'll be joined by Victor Jensen, who is arriving for free after his contract expires. We also have Thijmen Blokzijl coming back from loan next season & he looks like he could play immediately if needed, and Jasper Meijster, who could be our goalkeeper of the future.

Without much money to spend on improving the squad we'll have to lean heavily on our high level academy, and it's already provided us with a couple of intriguing strikers - Roberto Kruiswijk is probably the better of the two, but David Coolen can play too.

--

I'm not sure how long I'll stay here, as the purse strings seem to be kept very tight, but I'll see what I can do with the resources I have been given - £2.9 transfer budget & a £99k p/w wage budget (last year it was £80k) - and will keep an eye out for another interesting job somewhere if things start to get tricky next year.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Palamós CF 2031/32 Season Update:

Transfers Out:

He was moaning a lot so I decided to sell. He was getting bad offers in for him and then I put a £20m price tag on him and Cardiff instantly came in. He hasn't been great for them and they finished 13th in the Championship...

My number 1 keeper. Just after the Summer window he came to me asking for a new contract which I agreed to. After some back and forth he rejected my offer, I then apologised to him and his agent but the agent told me to get fucked so I decided to sell in January.

First choice LB who was great when he came in last year. He struggled this year though and kept making mistakes, he then came to me asking for a new contract but I told him he hasn't been good enough. This didn't sell well with him and I decided to move on.

Starting AMC but I wanted to give more time to the Serbian PROJECT and there was a lad I wanted to bring in. £21.5m was seriously good for him as he blows hot and cold too much.

Peter Reckels. He's not pictured on above as it went through early. Porto came in for him and I negotiated to £8.75m with 50% next sale. I was thrilled with this as he hadn't kicked on and was just a backup. Porto then offered him back on loan for the year which I accepted.

Transfers In:

Toggle Spoiler

League:

Bittersweet season for us in the league. I'd have taken 9th before the season but we were so close to Europe and we bottled it HARD in the last few months. The run of losses (and draw to Valencia who equalised in the 86th minute, had we held on we'd have been in the European places back then) was really hard to take as we won the xG battle in all of them bar Atleti and Barca matches.

Budgets aren't great going into next season but I do think we're good enough for Europe next year.

Cup:

Nice to have a bit of a deeper run this year.

Squad:

Really happy with the squad right now bar goalkeepers which I might look at it in the Summer. Only players outside of goalkeeper that I'd be willing to move on are Jonczyk who despite having good attributes and star rating seems to make a lot of mistakes as well Remy Bertrand who also makes a lot of mistakes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest me a save please people. Looking for low to mid-tier side (not the dregs) in a league where I'll have potential to grow the reputation and succeed on a continental level. Ideally a European side. Any sleeping giants particularly welcome, or maybe a team I could build up to challenge an established rival.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.fmscout.com/a-modern-tar...y-vujevic.html

This tactic is broken if anyone wants some fun and has a target man in their squad

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    Suggest me a save please people. Looking for low to mid-tier side (not the dregs) in a league where I'll have potential to grow the reputation and succeed on a continental level. Ideally a European side. Any sleeping giants particularly welcome, or maybe a team I could build up to challenge an established rival.
    Boavista
    Anyone in Hungary (I adored my save there in FM19 although the names are not for everyone)
    Wisla Krakow
    Catania/Palermo (make Sicily great again)
    Brondby
    St-Etienne

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schalke.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Schalke (and Hamburg) but maybe too easy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Palermo and Catania (and Messina). I always loved saves with those teams for some reason, particularly Palermo.

Palermo are now part of the Man City Empire so I don't know if that makes it more or less appealing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    I thought Schalke (and Hamburg) but maybe too easy.
    They've got a rancid squad and are struggling so much in real life that it might not be. Plus Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig and possibly Leverkusen should make domestic level hard.

In my save Schalke have been in the second tier more than the Bundesliga and almost got relegated to the third tier last season.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bordeaux are in the second tier as well. All the certainties of my life are crumbling before my eyes.

St Etienne are somehow bottom of Ligue 2, below Annecy and fucking Pau.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Quite fancy a crack at Poland. Was hoping Inter Bratislava might have made it back into the playable leagues in Slovakia, although I could just holiday through until they make it. Messina look like a good shout too. I've just done a season with Leverkusen so might dodge Germany for now.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steaua in Romania is a good one. The original CL winning proper team is in their second division. The fake Steaua, FCSB, who got to keep the records essentially due to corruption, is in the top league.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_S...Bucure%C8%99ti

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll fit right in.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffdon View Post
    https://www.fmscout.com/a-modern-tar...y-vujevic.html

This tactic is broken if anyone wants some fun and has a target man in their squad
    If I ever get back to TTH, Mahow could probably do a job.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    Steaua in Romania is a good one. The original CL winning proper team is in their second division. The fake Steaua, FCSB, who got to keep the records essentially due to corruption, is in the top league.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_S...Bucure%C8%99ti
    Yes! Thank you. Knew there was one at the back of my mind I meant to do.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge View Post
    Yes! Thank you. Knew there was one at the back of my mind I meant to do.
    Make sure your logos pack has the right badges. Seen a lot of Reddit posts about them being wrong.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Como in Serie B are a decent shout.

You get ancient Cesc Fabregas and your boss is somehow Dennis Wise.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dennis Wise is President of Como 1907. 35 year old Cesc Fabregas is on the books. As, somehow, is Irishman Liam Kerrigan.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peñarol - 2024 season
    That's right, another year in Uruguay on High Pressing Fatigue Manager 2023.

I'll do the Libertadores first this time. I've already posted upthread that we got through a group with two pretty shite teams in it, then played River Plate and somehow edged an epic tie on penalties. In the quarter-finals, we had Corinthians, who munched us 5-2 on aggregate, though we did manage to draw the home leg 2-2 which was something to cling onto. Sao Paulo, somewhat surprisingly, won it.

The league was a cakewalk. The team was set up beautifully, espcially going forward: versatile Veglio and Fernandez run things from midfield, Bruno Nazario (Brazilian) pulls strings as an AM, wingers Rossi and Alberti create heaps of chances, and Borbas puts them away. This formula resulted in a second straight uncontested title. This time it wasn't as perfect as 2023 as we didn't make the Intermedio final in the weird middle phase of the season, but that was largely by design due to resting players for the Libertadores ties happening during it.

Borbas obliterated his own all time league record of 42 goals, by notching 50 times this season. This was despite missing six of the 37 games with international call-ups, and fatigue issues causing a definite slowdown in his form during the Clausura (where he notched a measly 15 in 13 games). He was also the top scorer in the Libertadores with 14. His record for the club overall was 48 games / 66 goals, and in the two and a half seasons since he joined, he is 126 games / 154 goals. There are some quality freakish stats in relation to him and the team generally in this year's league, but this might be my favourite:

As is always the case in South America, I expect there to be some upheaval in the close season. First choice Argie defender Barboza is likely to get the chop, and it might be the right time to sell ginger midfield general Veglio, even though he has been amazing. Incomings include Argentinian 21 year old Infantino, who despite his name looks a hell of a talent. The bank balance is healthier than ever (though still tiny in comparison to the Brazilian and Argie teams we need to catch). The next question will be whether we can extend Borbas's contract again. He's signed for another two seasons with a £20 million release clause at the moment; it might take another large bribe of his agent to keep the clause that high.

It wasn't all plain sailing: River Plate triggered the release clause for my first choice goalkeeper Lentinelly mid-season, so after that I had academy graduate Randall Rodriguez in net, he's pretty good but I'm not sure if he's the answer for the long haul. There are some pretty good kids coming through, the best of which thus far is midfielder Perez (below) who has been in the first team a bit, and there are a few more who could come good, which is important as the foreigner limit of three on the pitch places a premium on growing your own.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised Nacional have just folded without a fight, they usually churn out some good newgens, and Pablo Neris was playing in Portugal in my console save. Borbas absolutely running wild though.

Just about to start my first full season at Groningen. We've let a few of the squad players go, raided VVV Venlo for a bunch of their young players on amateur deals & brought in a few players on loans & freebies, most notably Victor Jensen on a free from Ajax, Antonio Blanco on loan from Real Madrid & the broken remains of Marco Van Ginkel, fresh off yet another cruciate ligament injury.

EDIT: Van Ginkel broke his leg within 5mins of coming off the bench for his debut in the opening game of the season. Thought he might at least make it 25mins without falling apart, but I guess not.
    Last edited by Dan; 17-01-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Palamós CF 2032/33 Season Update:

Transfers Out:

Jonczyk was someone we picked up for £3m in January 2031 and he looked a bargain as he was, on paper, so much better than what we had. Sadly he seemed to always make mistakes and I ended up trusting a couple of youth CBs more as they were more consistent and made fewer mistakes. Big profit which is nice.

Picked him up on a free in, I believe, our first season in La Liga. and he was a regular starter for two seasons. Last season he was more of a rotation player and I just didn't see him getting minutes this year so I let him go. I rejected more in the Summer as I was holding out for £20m+ but the most I was offered was £15.75m.

We also get 20% of any profit on the two above.

Transfers In:

I let one of my backups leave on a free so in came Reinertz which looks like it might have been a mistake. His potential has gone from 5 stars to 3.5 and his value has shrunk since signing. I keep telling myself not to go near "unambitious" players but I keep getting sucked in.

Leonardo on the other hand looks like a bargain. I wanted a new backup striker as my other one is moaning a lot (and went out on loan in January) and I wanted someone who if called upon can be a pure finisher. Seemed to struggle at the start and then got an injury but he's been lethal down the stretch and even won POTM (none of my other players managed this) in March after scoring 6 in 4 and he only started one of those games.

After Jonczyk left I needed some backup in defence. Mario was my 4th or 5th choice but the others either were too expensive or they wanted mad wages. He's not great right now but he can cover across the backline which is handy.

I didn't need Parenti but he looked too good to pass down for the price. He has been good when used but he's moaned a lot too due to not enough starts and because I upset him with a team talk once. Tried to send him out on loan in January but had no takers.

With Bertrand leaving we were a little light at CDM so in came Liniker although sadly we haven't seen any of that Walkers money yet. He is now our highest earner (but quite some distance, £46.5k v £27k) but I think the kid could be World Class. Handy that he can also play RB so provides cover there too.

League:

We started poorly and after Sevilla we were, IIRC, 17th in the table but 4th in the xG table as my strikers were not putting away chances (the Costa Rican got injured near the end of last year and it took him a while to get scoring again) and my keeper was letting tame shots right at him in. Thankfully the striker started scoring and the keeper started looking ok.

We had some bad draws near the end (against Malaga we conceded in the 96th minute and against "Atleti" we let one in in the 94th minute) and I thought it would stop us taking a Champions League spot. We battered Betis and then I knew if we won our last two there was a chance as Betis had to face Atleti in their last game. They lost a day before we played and then we dismantled Osasuna to take 4th. We needed Europe this season as our finances are struggling now as our wage budget is bigger than our monthly income.

Cup:

In each round we used a reserve 11 and needed starters in the second round to bail us out which they did and we needed them in the third round but they couldn't help. Huesca went down to 10 men early but we never looked like scoring even though we had so many good chances.

Squad:

The squad is great but quite a few are upset right now as CL clubs came knocking in January and I kept swatting them away. Some I managed to get back on board by promising Europe (of some kind) this year which pleased them but others are still not happy. My former starting RB, Taner, will probably be sold if the money is right as will Milic which ends THE PROJECT as he's thinking of leaving on a free when his contract expires in 3 years and is demanding to be sold.

Other than that only Corradini (who pissed me off last year) will probably go as I'll try and hold onto everyone else. Oh and I'll try to Zoran Markovic, he's someone who came through the academy last season AND he's Cypriot but he's pissed me off with insane wage demands and when I offered him out in January the teams interested in him baulked at his demands.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well into 2025 now and Endrick is still at Palmeiras (and slaying me in the Libertadores group stage), is the transfer system borked because I have the European leagues on view only?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything view only should help things. His potential is in a range so maybe in your save he was at the lowest of that range and so teams havent flocked to sign him immediately.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also made it harder for teams to sign him after some people (like Lolujo who signed him for Peterborough) were able to get him in at shit clubs.

In my Palamos save he moved in 2024.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2026/27 - Season 2 - Kitchee SC

Following on from a domestic treble, there wasn't a need for major squad upheaval. With a few foreign big earners leaving, I was able to reinforce by bringing in Lee Dong-Geon from South Korea to take over in central midfield. We were reunited with Roman Alles too - I signed him in the winter after his contract at Kedah FA expired. They formed a solid partnership in the 2nd half of the season in the middle.

The league was a little tighter than our first season but the title was still wrapped up with 2 games to go, despite a valiant effort from Wofoo Tai Po, who inflicted 1 of our 2 league losses.

We lost the season-opening Community Cup, looking rusty in a 1-0 loss to rivals Eastern AA. We were also unable to retain the Sapling Cup. We stormed through the 8 game group stage once more, with 7 wins and 1 draw, before seeing off Eastern AA in the semi-finals after extra time. Wofoo Tai Po were our opponents in the final and they rounded off an impressive season by coming from behind to defeat us 2-1, and snuff out our hopes of a domestic quadruple.

Thankfully we were able to retain the Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield with ease, and we also won the Hong Kong FA Cup after a disappointing exit last season in the quarter final. Sham Shui Po were comfortably dispatched in both finals, taking our trophy haul to 3 this domestic season.

On the continental side of things, the season started poorly as we failed to make the AFC Champions League group stages due to Newcastle Jets beating us 2-1 in the 2nd Preliminary Round. This did mean we dropped into the Asian Confederation Cup group stage where we were in incredible form. 29 goals, 6 wins from 6, and we were comfortably through to the Interzone Playoff.

Sreenidi of India were seen off without conceding a goal, and this put us up against Istiqlol of Tajikistan, with the winner going through to the eventual final of the tournament. We were under pressure away from home, losing 2-1 and it could have been more. But the tables turned a fortnight later, as we put in a dominant performance in front of a sell-out crowd. Despite this, we still trailed approaching stoppage time and it was up to our supersub Mamadou Bah to equalise in the 93rd minute. We carried this momentum into extra time, and Bah struck again to put us ahead. It seemed like we'd booked our tickets to the final, but in the 121st minute, disaster struck....

Our centre-back passed our 1st penalty to the keeper, and our useless twat in goal didn't get near any of their 5, and we were dumped out. A real chance of continental success in Asia wiped out in an instant.

It was a great season for Travis Clark, who broke club records with his 25 assists, even though he did wane towards the end of the year. Valerio Gelli was still pretty influential when on the pitch, but he unfortunately suffered with a few serious injuries. Chan Wai Nam was the real breakout star of the campaign - he had been on loan to the U23 team in my first year in charge and started the season on the bench as a backup. He quickly usurped Bah to be the first-choice striker and ended up with 32 goals. There's definitely good homegrown talent coming through the youth ranks here, enough to keep them top of the pile in the coming seasons.

6 trophies in 2 years is a great haul, but I think I'm done with Hong Kong. My contract expires at the end of June and I'm already applying elsewhere and trying to move on. I'll definitely keep an eye on the likes of Alles, Clark and Gelli - they may come in handy at my next club.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy Mahowry View Post
    They also made it harder for teams to sign him after some people (like Lolujo who signed him for Peterborough) were able to get him in at shit clubs.

In my Palamos save he moved in 2024.
    How did he manage that?
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevdoctrin works in mysterious ways.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After my Polish midfielder died and my back up striker bitched about game time, I've agreed a deal to send him packing to Holland in January. As such I wont be wasting any playing time on him. I also had a deadline day bid of £4m from Toulouse for Eliasson, but he rejected their wages which is a shame because that's great money for us.

Still, I needed some more depth in midfield and got a couple of guys in. You might recognise one:

Almendra was out of contract and picked up for free. He's on a great low wage and has no release clause. That his value has jumped up already says this was probably good business. Still has a little potential to reach, but I suspect in a couple of years he'll be off for some nice profit.

I couldn't not do it. His physicals may be shot but I'm only expecting 10-20 games out of him really.

As for covering my strikers departure:

He's in on loan and we've secured a £2.8m optional future fee on him. My scouts think he can improve quite a lot and he may be worth persevering with to do so. He wasn't interested in a permanent move when we signed him though, so it may be out of my hands.

As for my striker position, there's also the matter of the contract of one Sergio Araujo. He is currently due to expire at the end of the year but we do have an optional year extension to trigger. He only has 10 natural fitness so he's very soon to start declining as he's nearly 32. I do kind of want to trigger the extension and sell him later, but he's on the clubs favoured personnel page, is the club captain and is top of the squad hierarchy, so it may cause uproar.

I've also arranged for this guy to come in on a free in January:

He was going to be my back up for next year, as I assumed Van Weet would last til the end of his deal, but it seems not. On the surface he's very meh at best, but looking closer he actually compares okay to Araujo. In truth this is one I wish I could have back, but he's agreed a low contract and is free.

Worryingly, no news yet on the stadium front and it's been a good 5 months since the board stated their intention to build.

As for the CL campaign. Things have gone well so far. Our first game was a great 1-0 away win at Red Star. I think we're both going to get pumped by PSG and Benfica so the results between us could decide the Europa League spot. Our second game was at home to PSG and we actually performed respectably.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    How did he manage that?
    Got him on loan and then signed him on a free IIRC.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FC Groningen 2023/24 Midseason Update

After taking over at the midpoint last season & guiding the team from 14th to 8th, I felt like we had a chance to push for Europe this season. We have a promising young squad, and with most of the Eredivisie being one big clump of kinda okay teams, the potential is there for us to climb to the top of that group. So far this year we've had flashes of that potential, but we've been held back by the FM gods.

We're 9th going in to the break, but a few weeks ago we were 5th & thinking about chasing down the teams ahead of us. We've had a couple of runs of form where the game has decided we're not allowed to win, which have stopped us from pushing on. The last four games that I played today in particular left me rather not happy as we bottled two games against teams in the relegation zone, one of which had just fired their manager, got knocked out of the cup by a second division team & then missed a penalty & conceded to their only chance of the game.

Hopefully the break will give us some time to get ourselves together, but if we continue to struggle I might seriously start to consider exploring some other options. On the plus side, our academy might be coming through for us again.
    Last edited by Dan; 20-01-2023 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me all the time in England (seem to be immune from it in Uruguay) and wound me up no end. You play the same football but the finishing crashes off the face of the earth for no apparent reason.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s definitely one of the most frustrating parts of FM, although I’d really like them to get AI transfer offers sorted one day - nobody in the entire world wants any of my young players on loan for free, which seems unlikely.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glorious.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...Ajax might be hard to topple...

EDIT: Feyenoord beat Ajax in their next game. The jinx
    Last edited by Dan; 21-01-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    Here we go

He never really developed when I managed Uruguay on console & was bouncing around Championship clubs for a bit, but he's surely going to crush it back in the domestic league before someone comes back in for him again in a year or two.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see they still haven't got the team interactions right.

I've got a back up DM bitching to me about not playing. They guy playing in front of him is my boy Jens Jonnson, who is currently at a 7.35 average rating for the season. If he's fit, he plays. I told the back up to piss off.

Yet I now have my 3 listed "team leaders" knocking at my door telling me I'm wrong and I'm to play him.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the lack of logic used is daft. I have people playing in more than half the games and coming telling me they want a loan move for first team football. Mate, you're winning trophies under the reign of King Borbas, trust me, you don't want a loan move to some farm team named after a 90s F1 backmarker.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seemingly broke FM cos it crashed straight after.
    Last edited by Baz; 22-01-2023 at 09:05 AM. Reason: crash
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a twit