User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's an absolute disgrace

29 82.86%
  • Bring it on

3 8.57%
  • I don't care enough about football these days to really give a shit

3 8.57%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be livid if no blood is spilled from this.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it a bit lol that the ones of you in this thread ENRAGED about this happening all write 'I hardly watch any football these days, and now I will watch it any less.' Well, there is your answer.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also lol at everyone turning fully authoritarian once football as they know it is threatened.

EDIT: My prediction is that this will happen sooner or later (The Champions League is already this), old people, ie us, will moan about it (while still watching) and talk about how back in the day football was about PASSION and LOVE FOR THE SHIRT, while young people / the foreigners will love it.
    Last edited by Pepe; 20-04-2021 at 12:07 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known as Taz
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd assume it's not as straightforward for City or whoever to pull out at this point. I suspect the ESL lizards have protected themselves sufficiently with contracts also which could explain the delay in comments from the guilty parties as they and their legal team scramble around looking for a way out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe with two spectacularly wrong posts in quick succession. Good work!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I find it a bit lol that the ones of you in this thread ENRAGED about this happening all write 'I hardly watch any football these days, and now I will watch it any less.' Well, there is your answer.
    Who is enraged exactly?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Who is enraged exactly?
    There you go:

Quote Originally Posted by Kikó View Post
    It's grubby and can fuck off. As if I needed more conformation that United's owners were only interested in one thing.

Dock them points, relegate them from the top leagues, do whatever it takes. Reform the league while you've got a chance (nationalise the top clubs if you want to get a fans model).
    I think this is it really. Support the players/the franchise rather than have any affiliation with the club.

I feel as sick as I did at the Glazer takeover.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shots fired.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ying-breakaway

"an unpublished European Super League document in the hidden code of its new website"

Good work, lads.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Talk of ‘technology-enhanced rule implementation’"

Well, I assume everyone is on board now?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe is wrong but is Kiko still bending over to take the full 8 inch girth of capitalism full-time whilst calling us out for our morals?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What am I wrong about? About it happening sooner or later, about the CL being basically the same thing, that most of you will still watch, or that young people / foreigners will love it?

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe's pretty bang on here. The values of fairness and a level playing field have long since left the sport and ok, this is taking that to the extreme, but those getting seriously arsed about it are clinging onto a vision they have of the game that died years ago.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A New York Times article which I thought was a good read, along the lines of Pepe's argument:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/s...liverpool.html

Toggle Spoiler

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Village we're moving to has a Football Team with a 250 seater stadium in the Isthmian North Division. Ł200 for a family season ticket. I'm tempted.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayern have come out and told them to eat shit. Not very often The Empire is the good guy

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the current set-up has flaws and is not a completely level playing field but the changes that escalate this further go beyond the limits that today's fans will accept.

It's obviously inevitable as time goes but they've shot their load too early by a good decade or two. They need to slowly adapt the game and condition fans to accept it. This is well on the way with increased technology use like VAR, unneccesary changes to the rules like handball and general behavioural patterns of people consumed by social media and the virtual world.

But if they think the residents of the cities would allow this shit in 2021, they're having a lol. As I keep saying, these stadiums will be burned to the ground before any ESL fixture is played. The legacy lot are too powerful still, let them age and wither a bit more and be made irrelevant by the new generation who are too busy mining cryptocoins/minecraft resources to care about real world goings on.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Yes the current set-up has flaws and is not a completely level playing field but the changes that escalate this further go beyond the limits that today's fans will accept.
    There seems to be a sense of entitlement that it's the fans' game. It isn't, it hasn't been for a long time and we've all contributed towards that with our Sky subscriptions, paying Ł60 for what amounts to a T-shirt etc.

"Today's fans" might not accept it, but they're irrelevant. Like a jilted lover who spends their time hitting the bottle while their ex isn't giving them a second thought, it's an utterly futile mindset to be in.

The legacy lot are too powerful still
    They're just not. They like to think they are as it harks back to that entitled view of it being 'their game', but in reality they are utterly irrelevant and there is nothing they nor the government can do to stop this if the clubs involved stick to their guns.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yevrah View Post
    Pepe's pretty bang on here. The values of fairness and a level playing field have long since left the sport and ok, this is taking that to the extreme, but those getting seriously arsed about it are clinging onto a vision they have of the game that died years ago.
    It's not an all or nothing situation. No one involved is morally pure and nor would they ever be. Status quo is creeping ultra-capitalism but ultimately everything still decided by sporting contests. Super league proposal consigns the importance of sporting contests to the dustbin of history. You don't have to be Che Guevara to oppose that move.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like Yev who go 'What are you so mad about, football was already money oriented' is as fucking dumb as the people who think 'but you own an iPhone' is a good argument.

Just absolute guff.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepe is wrong but is Kiko still bending over to take the full 8 inch girth of capitalism full-time whilst calling us out for our morals?
    Not to mention his gay little 'Forum Super League' on WhatsApp.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    People like Yev who go 'What are you so mad about, football was already money oriented' is as fucking dumb as the people who think 'but you own an iPhone' is a good argument.

Just absolute guff.
    I understand why people are mad, I'm just saying it's utterly pointless to be. The game is not what it was and nor will it probably be in our lifetimes and anyone who thinks they're going to change that by hanging a banner from a plane or standing outside a stadium is deluded beyond belief. The clubs have all of the power. Every last bit of it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    It's not an all or nothing situation. No one involved is morally pure and nor would they ever be. Status quo is creeping ultra-capitalism but ultimately everything still decided by sporting contests. Super league proposal consigns the importance of sporting contests to the dustbin of history. You don't have to be Che Guevara to oppose that move.
    It's the hypocrisy I struggle with. Red Nev is there at the barracades claiming he supports a free market, when what he actually means is he only supports it as long as it doesn't do something he disagrees with.

And I genuinely don't see how this is much worse than the shower of shit UEFA had implemented for 2024 onwards or what they've already done to the Euros.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the hypocrisy I struggle with. Red Nev is there at the barracades claiming he supports a free market, when what he actually means is he only supports it as long as it doesn't do something he disagrees with.

And I genuinely don't see how this is much worse than the shower of shit UEFA had implemented for 2024 onwards or what they've already done to the Euros.
    So what? Everyone acts in their own interests. If it takes a coalition of diverse hypocrites to take down the most damaging possible outcome for the sport, then so be it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having an enforced closed shop at the top of the game which nullifies competition is a massive change to the current status quo. Yeah it's currently unfair (top 4 guaranteed from each major league for example) and it's a long way from the 70s but we still have a semi competitive football environment across Europe. This is a clear move to superbowling it and destroying football heritage across the UK and Europe. If you don't get annoyed by this then when will you? Reinvent the game with the momentum and bring the fans back into club ownership.

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev was the guy in 1902 saying 'The Games Gone'

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reinvent the game with the momentum and bring the fans back into club ownership.
    How do you actually do that though?

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fans ever had any serious club ownership here?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of clubs with fan ownership.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you actually do that though?
    Government.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't the horse bolted in the case of most English clubs? Surely you can't just tell a club owner "Oh by the way you only own 49% of this now"? Because presumably if you're wanting fan ownership there's not that much point unless you're going full German model?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way you can't see the difference between the Champions League (as unequal as it is, and will be even more so from 2024) and this.

Have PSG made a statement? Bizarre to see them and Bayern emerge as the good guys in this.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsky View Post
    There's no way you can't see the difference between the Champions League (as unequal as it is, and will be even more so from 2024) and this.
    I can see the difference hence why I said it isn't much worse. UEFA might come out moralising about greed and being screwed (oh the lols), but their Swiss abomination had qualification protection based on historic performance and was a truly dreadful format. They're only annoyed someone's beaten them to it.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Hasn't the horse bolted in the case of most English clubs? Surely you can't just tell a club owner "Oh by the way you only own 49% of this now"? Because presumably if you're wanting fan ownership there's not that much point unless you're going full German model?
    We could dig up Corbyn and get him to do the honours I guess.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    They're small enterprises - the government could afford to nationalise them/impose a model of fan majority ownership.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There could be downsides to setting business/foreign investment confidence back fifty years though.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won't nationalise football clubs, but they might do a bunch of things that prevents any hope of any future Super League breakaway.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UEFA CL revamp is dogshit but it's not in the same stratosphere.

Qualification for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and earned through a team’s performance in domestic competitions.

One of the additional places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking. Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    There could be downsides to setting business/foreign investment confidence back fifty years though.
    :***( how will we cope without leveraged buyouts of our sporting institutions.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet it would be amazing being the first team to win it after only getting in on a coefficient place.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yev siding with a lad who's probably never seen the sport. Have a day off.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UEFA CL revamp is dogshit but it's not in the same stratosphere.

Qualification for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and earned through a team’s performance in domestic competitions.

One of the additional places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking. Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League.
    Reading that has hut my head. What the bollocks is this shit?

the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking
    Qualifying for the damn thing makes about as much sense as the group stage league table will come December 24.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a reminder:

Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league stage including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 10 league stage games against 10 different opponents (five home games, five away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home and away basis.

The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while the teams finishing in ninth to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition.
    I genuinely don't think I could have come up with anything worse if I'd tried. The amount of dead rubbers and generally shit games is going to be obscene.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is what this is a reaction to. More games, but not necessarily more money for the clubs who consider them a ballache. I think the eventual climbdown will see those proposals canned.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's a climbdown now, it won't be on terms beneficial to the rebels. They've shot their load. Which is why I don't think there will be a climbdown per se, but the grind of hatred towards them will eventually wear down the less evangelical clubs and leave the others high and dry.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just spent a grand on United merchandise to cancel him out.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine filming that, watching it back and thinking "yep... let's go".

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet he'll be down there at the Emirates to see them get twatted by Barcelona.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a reminder:

I genuinely don't think I could have come up with anything worse if I'd tried. The amount of dead rubbers and generally shit games is going to be obscene.
    You know all those ESL clubs will have been involved in the discussions and bringing this live/signing it off. It's not like it happened in a bubble.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Not to mention his gay little 'Forum Super League' on WhatsApp.