User Tag List

Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,800 of 4225

Thread: The Travel Thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally gonna stop talking absolute shit about California?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When did I talk shit about California?

The weather is nice, similar to Mexico's. Did I say that it is a shit Mexico before? Because if I did, then I maintain it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably is peak US though, even with the lol housing prices.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? The ridiculous humidity invalidates about half of the country, with the snow invalidating almost all of the reminder.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe the other way around. Either way.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely lolled at me for saying it was the best part of the United States before

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't sound like me.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That says more about you than the area, I've never felt unsafe in any part of New York or Brooklyn although I haven't done anything silly like venture out to East New York at night or anything.
    What does it say about me?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Describing gentrified Brooklyn as sketchy is peak whiteness. It’s not the Bronx.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7om View Post
    What does it say about me?
    That the area has low crime but has a lot of black fellas and you thought it was sketchy. Phonics has it mainly covered.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    Phonics listened to The Best of Biggie last night so he'll be adding 'New York' to his list of things to be smug and patronising about now.

Good stuff.
    It wasn’t scary to walk around at night when I was 17 more than a decade ago. Considering it’s now fashionable to live there for people who consider ‘podcaster’ as a job. I doubt it’s got much worse.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That the area has low crime but has a lot of black fellas and you thought it was sketchy. Phonics has it mainly covered.
    Are you suggesting that I thought the area was rough because I saw more black people there? You have no idea what I was referring to or know anything about me and yet you accuse me of that? I think that says a lot about you too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you suggesting that I thought the area was rough because I saw more black people there? You have no idea what I was referring to or know anything about me and yet you accuse me of that? I think that says a lot about you too.
    I knew it!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's obvious, you racist bastard. It's not as if there's a load of rappers bragging about criminal activities in 'Crooklyn' or anything.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In about 1994

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How often should we be updating our knowledge on the multiple boroughs of Cities we don't live in?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How often should we be updating our knowledge on the multiple boroughs of Cities we don't live in?
    Sometime in the 25 years the entire city went from being dangerous to mostly not. Times Square was full of prostitutes rather than a tourist spot back in the days you're referencing.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make prostitution great again.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert Kraft is giving it his best shot.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime in the 25 years the entire city went from being dangerous to mostly not. Times Square was full of prostitutes rather than a tourist spot back in the days you're referencing.
    I'll get straight on it. I might see how the west side of Beirut and down town Perth are getting on as well. Got to stay on top of this shit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get straight on it. I might see how the west side of Beirut and down town Perth are getting on as well. Got to stay on top of this shit.
    Why Beirut? What you got against Lebanon, you white bastard.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't live in London but I don't think it's all cockneys eating jellied eels.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That's the same as what's happened.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That says more about you than the area, I've never felt unsafe in any part of New York or Brooklyn although I haven't done anything silly like venture out to East New York at night or anything.
    I felt comfy. This is in a week where a an old woman was booted around a subway train and a port authority bus got torched by a man wearing no pants. For reference, I landed into Brooklyn on Jay Street and wandered around Atlantic (or is it Pacific?) Avenue. Outside Jay St. was relatively black but there's a definite suburban neighbourhood feel to places around Henry Street, etc. Two white women (one young, one old) exchanged talks about their dogs. Not dawgs. Anyway, let's wrap this up.

I am awake. I checked out at 11am Monday. I arrived back in Newcastle at 8:45am this morning. The cabin crew would not stop feeding us, even after the Five Guys I'd dived into before heading for Penn Station. The six hour return flight was brisk. I didn't realise the winds or whatever that make the journey quicker give the plane an extra 100 mph. We landed maybe five minutes behind schedule and, being stuck with a window seat, I had to wait for almost everyone to get off. My connecting flight was already boarding. Security was quick in spite of the passport kiosks not recognising me without glasses at every turn. I finally now know the one thing I'll forget to take out of my pockets and get the gist of the airport flow. Check-in, Security, Gate. I no longer have the fear of showing myself up because there's always some other steampot behind you ready to kick off over how they've packed their liquids or whatever.

So, one more final step. Boarding. We get to the gate and see a National Express. Fuck, yes. Runway boarding like a statesman. Roll out the red carpet for these 100 motherfuckers and their 30 minute flight. Some lass thought it a good idea to get her head down for it. Slumped over the tray and using her coat as a pillow when she'd only get 10 minutes between seatbelt signs. Smooth take-offs and landings all the way apart from the windy entrance to Newark on the way over. So what did I do on the few hours before departure?

Well, it was back to the financial district. My quest to find a restroom started there. I know there's one in WTC but Google Maps had other ideas. I'm done with that. The location data never matches up quick enough to stop me (a man with no direction) from getting lost. Got my bearings, though. First I wandered into Brookfield Place and then realised why I think shopping in New York's a bit of a bust. They have none of the shit I like. I don't care for watches, jewelry or perfume. Or children's toys. Like, I could get something for the nephew but I'm not fitting a big, bastard pedal car in my luggage. It led me back down the Hudson where it all began. Still couldn't find a place to piss so I decided, "Fuck, where's Wall Street?" Google Maps eventually got me in the right area. Trinity Church is a nice focal point. Some famous founding fathers are buried there but I was really after the Federal Hall.

I found it, but not before the Charging Bull. Got a decent shot of that. Side-profile, natch. Not the crude bollocks the frat boys go for. So now we're at Bowling Green. I've been everywhere up and down Rector Street but seemingly keep turning away from the Fed. Then I finally hit it. The ground beneath me gets a little bit more pedestrianised. About fucking time. Grabbed a shot of George Washington, looked at the Trump Building and the construction going on and said, "Alright, what do I do with the other couple of hours?" I still need to take a piss. Google's thrown me a sensible suggestion of Pier 16. I know the direction the Hudson is in now so that should be easy. It was. Didn't expect it to throw me at South Street Seaport, though. You get a decent look at the Brooklyn and Washington(?) Bridges from there. And there's a restroom. And the old ships. The oldest is the most impressive but it's more the fact that it's been moored here.

Decent day and, when I got back to Newcastle, I started to notice what wasn't there. I've realised I love the noise the Tyne and Wear Metro engines make but there's a stench to the Subway that you just can't replicate. It's like burning rubber and rat shit. I got into Newcastle city centre and it looked so bloody empty. Had a oroper early Sunday morning look to it. I was walking around Durham for some shopping and was expecting to see a skyline. Hell, the Taco Bell on Grainger Street raised a smile. So yeah, a good five nights and there's a few things I can venture back for in future. If I can tag along with when my sis does eventually go, I can crowbar myself as a guide.

Fuck Google Maps.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enlighten me then.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only part of Brooklyn I saw was around the vicinity of the Barclays Center and that was rough as hell. Didn't enjoy the walk back to my hotel at midnight.
    I mean, my Manhattan experience kinda echoes this. Walking out of Penn Station into a stationed patrol car and fire engine with sirens on blast. I got more comfortable with the place but never needed to leave the hotel past sundown. Some cunts just like to aggro in public and I can't be arsed with it. I could live there and deal with it but, as a tourist, I just want to get stuff done when the sun's up. It doesn't have to be down to race. Just the fear that you have stuff on you that you don't want to lose. Plus you never feel like a bigger target than you do on your first day.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you never been in a city before? Fire Engines! A police car!

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been to a city like New York before. Perceptions, first impressions and all that. Do you have any travel stories that don't involve being handheld by adults?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
    I've never been to a city like New York before. Perceptions, first impressions and all that. Do you have any travel stories that don't involve being handheld by adults?
    Are you asking if I've ever been to a city on my own?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell. Shindig experiencing the outside world is somehow worse than Phonics reading a couple of articles about something.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point I'm trying to make is you have a very different point of reference to what a city is to me. Hell, even New York.

Going to an international school at the time, it was fun to type in friends last names into the computer they have to find out what they were actually called when their families arrived.
    I am not well-traveled and scale does wonders. Hell, just being in a new place for the first time, in the pissing wind and rain and being smacked in the face with a noise just just don't get in fucking Newcastle, Edinburgh or Birmingham. At 00:45. After a day of travel. All cities are not like-for-like.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least he’s positive about it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was robbed within 30 seconds of arriving in New York. I thought it was a bit of a shithole, really. Absolutely stunk too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were robbed in the immigration line?

Not going out after dark sounds a bit mental as well.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, it worked out well enough for time. I'd have pressed on if there was something I wanted to see or do but I'd managed to fit all that stuff in. Like I said, at the end I felt pretty comfortable with the place.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Fucking hell. Shindig experiencing the outside world is somehow worse than Phonics reading a couple of articles about something.

Lol

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It reads like the shit Blade Runner voiceover.

'I lay back and notice the sunlight coming through the curtains at seven o'clock. Time to get dressed. The window and my phone are on opposite sides of the bed, by the way. I am boss-eyed.'

'I walk out in yesterday's clothes and try to hail a cab. Three drive straight past. I want to boot a dog.'

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck it. I had a good time. Something I reall should've done sooner but whatever.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niko_cee View Post
    You were robbed in the immigration line?

Not going out after dark sounds a bit mental as well.
    I got the bus from Washington DC. My suitcase was stolen after the driver unloaded it while I was getting off the bus.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvN View Post
    I was robbed within 30 seconds of arriving in New York. I thought it was a bit of a shithole, really. Absolutely stunk too.
    It is the dirtiest developed city known to man - proper disgusting.

However, it's also a very very fun place to live.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works got us going to SAN Francisco which apparently is 90% piss then the rest is fecal matter.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's atleast 70% ridiculous hills and 20% homeless people, so your sums are out.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like San Francisco a lot.

Would have liked it a lot less if we didn't rent a car though.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've heard that about shitty sidewalks and handrails. Really puts me off the place, aside from the other thing of being somewhat expensive.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've heard about the shitty handrails? I haven't even heard about the shitty handrails and I live there.

I used to be funny.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Admittedly, I've only heard it anecdotally ... once but I'd be amazed if anyone trusted a handrail on the BART.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all its weird dhit, bart is still a more pleasant experience than the London Underground

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knew the travel thread was so enthralling