Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Me

More successful than most Magic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Roast Me

Gents, I need your help. I know how supportive you all are, so I'd love it if you could roast my idea and help me with validation. I will tell you nothing about it, only sharing my landing page.

www.feedingforward.co.uk

I am currently designing wireframes for the platform myself and am looking to secure (govt) funding early 2024 to build it properly, that's if I still can't find a CTO co-founder.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated. I have done everything myself up to this point so please bear that in mind.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok but I want the arse end.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fucking love eating autism smashed it magic lad

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questions:
    - Why would restaurants or takeaways pay for this?
    - Why would people use it rather than looking through reviews on google maps or justeat or whatever?
    - Are you going to moderate the reviews or verify them somehow? If they're completely anonymous then refer to point 1 - why would a restaurant pay for a service that could just be used to spam them with bad reviews?
    - Aren't there already websites/apps/social media groups that do these kind of things on a more local level? Highlight where is good for coeliacs in the area etc.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your webpage title is homepage.

Actually, who made this? Please sort yourself a stylesheet out.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soldier View Post
    fucking love eating autism smashed it magic lad

It was the best I could do with absolutely no idea about design and free images.

In an ideal world I'd have paid someone to do the branding and design. But this is just a landing page pre-launch.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Your webpage title is homepage.

Actually, who made this? Please sort yourself a stylesheet out.
    Ok what do I call it then? I did it using UMSO. It's basically to get enough interested signups to demonstrate interest in the product.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Questions:
    1. Why would restaurants or takeaways pay for this?
    2. Why would people use it rather than looking through reviews on google maps or justeat or whatever?
    3. Are you going to moderate the reviews or verify them somehow? If they're completely anonymous then refer to point 1 - why would a restaurant pay for a service that could just be used to spam them with bad reviews?
    4. Aren't there already websites/apps/social media groups that do these kind of things on a more local level? Highlight where is good for coeliacs in the area etc.
    1. To see feedback. If the feedback is acted on, make changes and announce to already interested users on the platform. Then increase bookings via the platform. They will get bookings they otherwise never would have and increase revenues with new markets.
    2. Reviews seldom (if ever) contain the information required to make a choice. Most of this info is on FB groups or forums and they are usually closed groups.
    3. Yes, you need to sign up to use.
    4. See point 2. Findmeglutenfree for example is a total waste of time because gluten intolerant people use it, which is not suitable for coeliacs. The best way is to check FB Groups and then call the restaurant yourself and make a decision.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you going to get it off the ground? Nobody wants to use a platform that has 3 reviews within 20 miles of them and that's where a lot of these things die.

Get some cards/QR codes to leave at local business (along with your TTH ones).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the name btw, it's completely forgettable and could mean anything.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -james- View Post
    How are you going to get it off the ground? Nobody wants to use a platform that has 3 reviews within 20 miles of them and that's where a lot of these things die.

Get some cards/QR codes to leave at local business (along with your TTH ones).
    I'll be targeting these FB groups, charities, forums, influencers, word of mouth. These people, and I include myself in that, (rightly) love to moan. Well here's a single platform that collates it all for you and anonymously presents it to the owners. You will be able to see if a venue has (and hasn't ) signed up to use the platform.

Once there is enough data worth paying for then I'll target the B2B side, the hospitality sector. That'll be cold hard sales on venues that have had feedback left on them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume it was a "pay it forward" type thing where the less fortunate are given free food or something.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through several iterations:

Tell The Owners (was too negative against the hospitality industry)
    Feeding Back (domain cost £5,000)
    Feeding Forward (best I could do that was friendly to both)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey M View Post
    I would assume it was a "pay it forward" type thing where the less fortunate are given free food or something.
    I mean it kind of is, but the less fortunate are us spastics with disorders and the free food is catering for us.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I mean it kind of is, but the less fortunate are us spastics with disorders and the free food is catering for us.
    Is awkwardcunts.com taken?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate that you made it on your own and all, but the site does look like it's from the early 2000s.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boydy sorry the main point of it is to let venues know why you didn't eat there or why you won't eat there again in the hope if enough people do it there's enough justification to change for the better and make it more inclusive. I bought another domain name called 'Unseen Diners' but thought it was a bit shit.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has got Smiffy all over it.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I managed a restaurant I think I'd go out of my way to avoid a load of allergy cunts turning up. I can't imagine it's cost effective to go above and beyond for them and if you did and got a top reputation for it, there's probably even more reputational risk when something does go wrong.

Where is the incentive for the restaurants? An increase in awkward customers and the associated risk? I'm not seeing it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I managed a restaurant I think I'd go out of my way to avoid a load of allergy cunts turning up. I can't imagine it's cost effective to go above and beyond for them and if you did and got a top reputation for it, there's probably even more reputational risk when something does go wrong.

Where is the incentive for the restaurants? An increase in awkward customers and the associated risk? I'm not seeing it.
    Yes this is the current line of thinking. It's this platform's job to demonstrate this attitude is a costly mistake.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I appreciate that you made it on your own and all, but the site does look like it's from the early 2000s.
    I tried to mirror it on other landing pages but I am limited by templates etc. It's the best I could do.

As long as it makes sense that's all I can hope for.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tools to promote businesses = money

Tools to shit on businesses = no money

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Tools to promote businesses = money

Tools to shit on businesses = no money
    Correctamundo. I pivoted from the latter to the former after speaking with a few GMs at hotels.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes this is the current line of thinking. It's this platform's job to demonstrate this attitude is a costly mistake.
    Catering for something common like gluten free (because of all the gluten "intolerant" gimps) might well be worth it, but there's no way trying to cater for every issue under the sun can be. What even is an ADHD-friendly kebab?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomlegend View Post
    Catering for something common like gluten free (because of all the gluten "intolerant" gimps) might well be worth it, but there's no way trying to cater for every issue under the sun can be. What even is an ADHD-friendly kebab?
    One where I don't get my face smashed in.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.5 million sounds high for the number of coeliacs. Coeliac UK has it at 750,000.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But is it? I doubt it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    1.5 million sounds high for the number of coeliacs. Coeliac UK has it at 750,000.
    Diagnosed. Apparently only 35-40% of people who have it have been diagnosed formally.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But is it? I doubt it.
    I don't know mate, that's why I'm building the platform. It could be a total flop and monumental waste of time and money. The platform will tell us, but at the moment the thinking you described is spot on and isn't changing on it's own.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diagnosed. Apparently only 35-40% of people who have it have been diagnosed formally.
    They have 24% diagnosed and 500,000 undiagnosed, which would imply 657,000 in total. Either way, the undiagnosed aren't going to be running restaurant menus for gluten free.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know mate, that's why I'm building the platform. It could be a total flop and monumental waste of time and money. The platform will tell us, but at the moment the thinking you described is spot on and isn't changing on it's own.
    People are just trying to point out it's not going to be viable before you invest a load of time and money. If you are determined to go ahead regardless then there was no point asking for feedback.

Surely you can see it's never going to be cost effective for a restaurant to try to cater for hundreds/thousands of different requirements?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd be better off picking a single issue - like coeliac - and focussing on that IMO.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think the website should be facing the other way: Feedback for other customers. Trip Advisor for awkward fannies. That way, restaurants ban buy in if they want to. Hang their score on their wall / website. If not, no worries, the coeliac sufferers still know not to eat at WheatFeast Express.

Restaurants are just not going to pay for the opportunity of gaining more awkward customers. Not a hope.

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't pretend I know entirely what you're trying to do, but I do know that your second-home Leeds have an incentive for restaurants and venues to become Breastfeeding Friendly and they can display a nice little sticker in the window to inform potential customers of the fact. Could you do something like that? It's free though, so you'd be relying on that government grant you mentioned.
    I'm a twit

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Floyd View Post
    They have 24% diagnosed and 500,000 undiagnosed, which would imply 657,000 in total. Either way, the undiagnosed aren't going to be running restaurant menus for gluten free.
    Yeah I'll maybe change that to diagnosed then rather than a collective figure.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are just trying to point out it's not going to be viable before you invest a load of time and money. If you are determined to go ahead regardless then there was no point asking for feedback.

Surely you can see it's never going to be cost effective for a restaurant to try to cater for hundreds/thousands of different requirements?
    Of course I know that. However, if 100 people @ £25 per head average cover tell me they aren't coming to my restaurant (remember that one person will dictate small and big covers) because it doesn't cater for them in a single month then I can obviously cost up the change because it's based on fact, not conjecture.

EDIT: Have you read the examples on my site? It isn't meant to get every venue to cater for everything. It'll be based on volume and type.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think the website should be facing the other way: Feedback for other customers. Trip Advisor for awkward fannies. That way, restaurants ban buy in if they want to. Hang their score on their wall / website. If not, no worries, the coeliac sufferers still know not to eat at WheatFeast Express.

Restaurants are just not going to pay for the opportunity of gaining more awkward customers. Not a hope.
    The ones I've spoken to would, so long as they could book on the back of changes being made. The message was clear; they hate public reviews.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't restaurants required by law these days to have a list of allergens in each dish?

And a lot already do display those on their menu and label GF dishes.

If they're already doing that what are they going to gain from paying you to be on your website? And if they're not already doing that then surely they're probably not arsed?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't restaurants required by law these days to have a list of allergens in each dish?

If they're already doing that what are they going to gain from paying you to be on your website? And if they're not already doing that then surely they're probably not arsed?
    I guess it's kind of like CheckATrade.com. it's there to make sure they are trust worthy. I think there's potentially some demand for that. It's just not from the restaurants. The whole thing is backwards.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. We can only eat at a small number of venues. Make of that what you will, but that's the problem. Same with vegetarians. Just because you've virtue signalled a salad on the menu doesn't mean they will come. Same thing.

And again you're spot on with that. They aren't arsed. The purpose of this is to show them that they should be arsed because of the financial implications of not being arsed.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's kind of like CheckATrade.com. it's there to make sure they are trust worthy. I think there's potentially some demand for that. It's just not from the restaurants. The whole thing is backwards.
    No because nobody else apart from the venue can see the feedback. There are other sites (that are pointless but well intentioned) that serve that purpose. Again, nobody likes them. Public reviews or recommendations = toxic.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No because nobody else apart from the venue can see the feedback. There are other sites (that are pointless but well intentioned) that serve that purpose. Again, nobody likes them. Public reviews or recommendations = toxic.
    Ok, but how does this:

"Having a son with a severe peanut allergy means I always study the menu very well and check the restaurants allergy policy in advance. We booked a family meal at a popular restaurant and advised the waiter (who was also the manager) of my sons allergy. The manager immediately said no we can't serve you as we can't guarantee a safe environment for your son. Not one single dish on the menu contained peanuts, so they should have been able to accommodate us. The manager was adamant he couldn't serve so us so we had to leave the restaurant feeling really uncatered for and disappointed."
    Being sent direct to the restaurant as feedback, differ from it being posted on one of those review sites in any meaningful way? They "hate it" on Trip Advisor, but take it on board when it's said in private? Why?

I really don't get it Maggers.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but how does this:

Being sent direct to the restaurant as feedback, differ from it being posted on one of those review sites in any meaningful way? They "hate it" on Trip Advisor, but take it on board when it's said in private? Why?

I really don't get it Maggers.
    It's not in spite, it's anonymous. We don't leave reviews on places we couldn't go, fuck that. Also don't leave reviews full stop tbh and a lot of people are like that. Plus bots etc. Like I said from the people I spoke to in the industry, they really don't like TripAdvisor and co.

Now if that establishment gets loads of private feedbacks like this, it just might do something about it. The incentive is there for the affected people. No point moaning on your echo chamber. Tell the people that can do something about it.

Appreciate it's hard to get your head around unless your life is actually like this. It's why the places we can go to are always *always* directly affected by Coeliac or whatever. Because they have specific understanding and knowledge of it. And they'll take our money gladly. And we'll continue to spend there and avoid the majority. It's a USP.

To clarify, this site isn't for everyone and every venue.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you explain it the less I understand it.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you explain it the less I understand it.
    I get that. I really need to get it built it as it's hard to explain. Really frustrating and so difficult to do a landing page.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate it's hard to get your head around unless your life is actually like this.
    I think it's the other way around again. You think it's a big problem because it's a big problem for you. It just isn't for most people and for that reason restaurants don't bother themselves with it. If you want them to, then you're going to need an incentive and I don't think this is going to be anywhere near a strong enough one. Struggling restaurants don't survive by going after the coeliac £.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that. I really need to get it built it as it's hard to explain. Really frustrating and so difficult to do a landing page.
    If you can't explain it, no one is going to be able to build it for you.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's the other way around again. You think it's a bit problem because it's a big problem for you. It just isn't for most people and for that reason restaurants don't bother themselves with it. If you want to, you're going to need an incentive and I don't think this is going to be anywhere near a strong enough one. Struggling restaurants don't survive by going after the coeliac £.
    It's a big problem for people who are excluded from the hospitality industry, whether it's for reasons you understand or not, everyone understands revenue.

Our dining decision tree is prioritised by safety. We'd eat at the shitest restaurant in the world as long as it was safe. Struggling restaurants (and hospitality is struggling) won't attract new revenue by doing the same things they've always done. It's outside the box time.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't explain it, no one is going to be able to build it for you.
    It's like trying to explain the use of a wheelchair to people with legs. If you aren't affected by it, it won't make much sense.

EDIT: To clarify, I've spoken to a fair few people who are affected by it and they've said 100% they would use it to try and be heard.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually know two coeliacs very well so I do understand the issue.

But that's besides the point. If you can't explain what your website/app/platform is meant to do, how are you going to tell anyone what to build for it?